Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, they fixed that. It was pretty annoying.

Neat! I'll have to try that out. Too bad the robots are gone forever now and definitely not coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I enjoy that there's very little 1984 'The Party' in evidence, the secretive true masters of humanity. I really like the idea that all of humanity is just joyously bugfuck crazy hyped to be murdering/dying, like Freedom Caucus loonies high on their own supply. A cult whose leaders died, leaving just the true believers of bullshit. It makes the massively wasteful stupid war engine hilarious.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Yeah, apparently there are a bunch of high level figures that we know about (like the heads of the various Ministries or the President of Super Earth), but as far as I can tell they all seem to be in the same boat as the rest of humanity where they're either gung ho about spreading Managed Democracy to the stars or terrified of everyone else finding out that they aren't and so pretending that they are to stick with the program.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Grayshift posted:

I enjoy that there's very little 1984 'The Party' in evidence, the secretive true masters of humanity. I really like the idea that all of humanity is just joyously bugfuck crazy hyped to be murdering/dying, like Freedom Caucus loonies high on their own supply. A cult whose leaders died, leaving just the true believers of bullshit. It makes the massively wasteful stupid war engine hilarious.

One of the only named characters in the first game was Senator John W. Killjoy who was explicitly in favor of executing all cyborg-sympathizing hippies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like we're getting ethically sourced, free range Terminids.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sounds like botmunism to me...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I've only been kicked from an in-progress game once. Now when we're in the pre-mission menu I get kicked a lot by higher level players who see the level number and assume that I'm no good because I'm 30 and not 65

Thats why you always host HAHA

Btw I believe this might be bugged but when you first start the game and host a lobby. You instantly get teammates but if they leave the game it's really hard to get a full squad again.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Did the last major order succeed? I know I fought a few missions on those planets but didn't get any reward?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Ulio posted:

Btw I believe this might be bugged but when you first start the game and host a lobby. You instantly get teammates but if they leave the game it's really hard to get a full squad again.

Yea I've just noticed this since last night, it's annoying as.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Did the last major order succeed? I know I fought a few missions on those planets but didn't get any reward?

There's usually a delay as they send them out.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Might take a bit more time to see the reward. It's pretty clunky in how the rewards are given out it seems. I had one where I didn't get two major order rewards for over a week.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Man I really wanted to like the HMG, I tried to make it work but it's just a bad gun.

I would love to see what their internal testing showed because it's got no 3rd person sights, heavy handling, a small magazine and a lengthy reload. It really DOES NOT hit hard enough to justify all this nonsense.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

It's crazy how hard it is to find info on stuff from Helldivers 1 now, lol. Pretty sure the bones of those sandy, wormy looking things you see around sometimes were one of the big bosses for the Terminids in that game.

I never played the first game but yeah they were called Hive Lords

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Grayshift posted:

I really like the idea that all of humanity is just joyously bugfuck crazy hyped to be murdering/dying,
one of the common secondary objectives is destroying rebel broadcasts telling other humans the truth about the bugs

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ErKeL posted:

Might take a bit more time to see the reward. It's pretty clunky in how the rewards are given out it seems. I had one where I didn't get two major order rewards for over a week.

I think they have to stagger the release.

When they added Mechs the servers became wildly unstable as everyone was rushing to buy them.

The Malevelon Creek cape also apparently wasn't supposed to go out via the medal system, there's going to be a "different" way to send out stuff like that in the future (Bureau terminals perhaps??)

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

We saw a guy who had tactical black regular looking armor, was that some kind of beta uniform or something?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Anyone else feeling like the quasar changed with the last patch, the one that made Bile Titans immune to stun grenades? I haven't managed a one-shot kill on a Hulk since then, and tonight I was shooting bile titans 3+ times in the head for no result. Before that patch I was able to reliably kill Hulks in one shot, and Bile Titans in one to two.

Consequently, bile titans are an un-fun pain in the arse again now.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

E: I haven't tried using it against bugs yet but I one shot a hulk with the quasar last night so that should still work.

Reiley posted:

We saw a guy who had tactical black regular looking armor, was that some kind of beta uniform or something?

There's one like that in the shop and another that I think was a promo or twitch drop or something, so it depends. One of them is definitely available in the super store tho.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I've heard of people wearing unreleased armor sets they've hacked in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tired: fire the quasar, fired the quasar, firing the quasar
wired: quase, quased, quasing

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Infinitum posted:

The Goon Helldiving Experience: Dropping in directly next to a Factory Strider on a 12min blitz

:mcnally:

If ur not dropping directly into red i dont trust u

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Anyone else feeling like the quasar changed with the last patch, the one that made Bile Titans immune to stun grenades? I haven't managed a one-shot kill on a Hulk since then, and tonight I was shooting bile titans 3+ times in the head for no result. Before that patch I was able to reliably kill Hulks in one shot, and Bile Titans in one to two.

Consequently, bile titans are an un-fun pain in the arse again now.

Yeah they def changed something with the BT. They were noticeably more durable in the missions our group ran today, with multiple people commenting on it. One took 2 quasars and several EATs to the dome before finally dying. The whole squad was firing every heavy weapon we had at it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I forget who asked about sickles on bots, but here you go. Dearm or rocketpod the important things, proceed to kill the rest

https://i.imgur.com/Q8Et0M5.mp4

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Are there any especially helpful guides or cheat sheets for where to shoot particular enemy types? I haven't fought against bugs a whole lot as everything has been bot-focused since I started, and now I need to know how to optimally harvest sticky bug face meat.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

a big tip for all the long-time bot players who are doing bugs now for the first time:

1) Always be in light armor against bugs
2) Do not clump up with your teammates. spread out all over the map.

It's virtually impossible to die against bugs when you are in light armor and not near your teammates, but being near your teammates makes it impossible to properly control the bugs' positioning and herd them, and makes bile spewers blast artillery all over the whole area you're in.

These bug missions have been kind of frustrating today with all the long-time bot players coming in and trying to use their bot tactics against the bugs :(

Also: The strongest thing you can do against bugs is start a breach in some out-of-the-way place and then just run away and do an objective while the breach is on cooldown. If you follow all of the advice in this post you will almost never even see chargers or titans below difficulty 8!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 8, 2024

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can light armour outrun Bile Titans?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Teratrain posted:

Are there any especially helpful guides or cheat sheets for where to shoot particular enemy types? I haven't fought against bugs a whole lot as everything has been bot-focused since I started, and now I need to know how to optimally harvest sticky bug face meat.

Warriors and Brood Commanders should be shot in the legs. They'll go berserk if you blast their heads off.

Bile Spewers and Hive Guards are easiest to kill with explosives.

Chargers should get a heavy rocket or quasar straight in the face. You can also flamethrower one of their legs.

Bile Titans should be baited into attacking so they can't move out of the way of an Eagle 550kg bomb.

Stalkers should be sprayed down in a blind indiscriminate panic.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Not over open ground but if there are any terrain features you can put between you and the titans, yes.

If you do fight them or fight near them, they have no way to hurt you if you run vaguely in a circle around them, at least at light armor speed.

I think of fighting bugs like playing a Vampire Survivors style game. Just run in big circles and herd things into a large ball of enemies in the center of the circle. Which is why I hate when teammates are near me against bugs, they break up that blob and get me surrounded :argh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 8, 2024

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is unnecessary and not the norm, you will often struggle to solo the main objectives doing this. It's viable but I wouldn't tell people to play this way, and often one player will get the bug tunnel and the others will sit around doing nothing while their objective completes, which for me isn't fun.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Run to rocks and weave through them, stim when your stamina is out to get another full stamina bar

a big tip for all the long-time bot players who are doing bugs now for the first time:

1) Always be in light armor against bugs

It's virtually impossible to die against bugs when you are in light armor and not near your teammates, but being near your teammates makes it impossible to properly control the bugs' positioning and herd them, and makes bile spewers blast artillery all over the whole area you're in.

These bug missions have been kind of frustrating today with all the long-time bot players coming in and trying to use their bot tactics against the bugs :(

Also: The strongest thing you can do against bugs is start a breach in some out-of-the-way place and then just run away and do an objective while the breach is on cooldown. If you follow all of the advice in this post you will almost never even see chargers or titans below difficulty 8!

It also keeps your teammates from hitting you with the incendiary shotgun pellets given it’s all the rage right now :v:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

One of the problems with the arc thrower is that it tends to refuse to damage enemies at point blank, but I noticed that meleeing with the gun charged causes it to fire at the same time, so I've been trying to get a thing to work

https://i.imgur.com/p4lMGAm.mp4

(it mostly doesn't work though)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Baby T. Love posted:

This is unnecessary and not the norm, you will often struggle to solo the main objectives doing this. It's viable but I wouldn't tell people to play this way, and often one player will get the bug tunnel and the others will sit around doing nothing while their objective completes, which for me isn't fun.

It's very easy to solo objectives unless there's a titan on them - you just keep running and gunning and circling back to the terminal when it's time for the next step.

As for the second part, that's what makes bugs fun for me - you have one person distract the horde while the other 3 split up and full clear the map in like 15 minutes. There's plenty of combat to be found, if you want to be fighting just either provoke the horde or do nests. This is the way all the high level bug pub games ran until the bots disappeared and now they're back to being endless meat grinders :qq:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 8, 2024

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Hwurmp posted:

Warriors and Brood Commanders should be shot in the legs. They'll go berserk if you blast their heads off.

Bile Spewers and Hive Guards are easiest to kill with explosives.

Chargers should get a heavy rocket or quasar straight in the face. You can also flamethrower one of their legs.

Bile Titans should be baited into attacking so they can't move out of the way of an Eagle 550kg bomb.

Stalkers should be sprayed down in a blind indiscriminate panic.

Nice, thanks! The stalker one checks out.

Any recommendations for support weapons? I like precision shots so am an AMR and Autocannon enjoyer.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I got this game during launch week, since I was having an ultra stressful week at work and wanted a satisfying game to play. Hell, I even put LAD: Infinite Wealth on the back burner for awhile to play this more.

One thing that usually frustrates me about online shooters is that players tend not to fire their guns enough. They just walk in circles and only fire when they feel they have a perfect shot. In this game people tend to actually shoot, which I like. They do fire less at bigger enemies, but as someone who can't quit the Autocannon, that doesn't bother me too much.

Some thoughts/questions:

I can't seem to get away from using the 110mm rocket pods. The fire and forget convenience is wonderful, but I keep hearing that this stratagem isn't worth it. Is the regular Eagle Airstrike just better? Because I get an awful lot of utility out of the 110s.

The machine gun is my favorite weapon. I'd even put it above my beloved Autocannon, but it just doesn't seem worth it on the higher difficulties. I was hoping the HMG could close this gap, but it's just not good enough in it's current state. Has anyone heard of anyone making the MG work on later difficulties? Maybe paired with a Dominator and some clever stratagem use? I haven't had much success trying this, but I'd say I'm an average player on one of my good days.

E: one more. One thing that made me sour on the Tide games is that so much of the game is spent running away from enemies. Obviously it isn't worth it to engage every enemy swarm, but I've often felt like actually killing enemies is counterproductive, whereas I feel it should be the opposite. I was super worried that higher difficulties in Helldivers would be like that, but I've been pleasantly surprised. There's definitely plenty of cases where it's good to avoid contact altogether or disengage, but I think it's a good balance. There's still ample opportunities to mow down enemies, but you do have to be smart about it.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 8, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
For my AC lovers, 4 shots to a chargers butt breaks it and causes it to bleed out.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

This is the way all the high level bug pub games ran until the bots disappeared and now they're back to being endless meat grinders :qq:

In my experience I go main-objective to main-objective and my pubbie teammates will either fight bugs endlessly at the initial drop point or go off alone and die, or I'll die alone at the main objective and be forced to respawn halfway across the map. If you're new to bugs coming from bots I imagine you don't want to be soloing anything until you're confident.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Teratrain posted:

Nice, thanks! The stalker one checks out.

Any recommendations for support weapons? I like precision shots so am an AMR and Autocannon enjoyer.

EAT and/or Quasar Cannon for Chargers, Spore Spewers, and Shrieker Nests
Grenade Launcher or Autocannon for everything smaller and bug holes
possibly Flamethrower, Arc Thrower, or Stalwart

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

You'd think there'd be a bit more fanfare for genociding all robots. Also people who like playing against them just... can't I guess while the rest of this resolves. They should create like a VR planet or something for this.

Reddit already gets pissed off to the point of teamkilling when people aren't playing on tHe mOsT cRiTICaL pLaNeT. Can you imagine what they'd be like if some people weren't even contributing to the war lol

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah they def changed something with the BT. They were noticeably more durable in the missions our group ran today, with multiple people commenting on it. One took 2 quasars and several EATs to the dome before finally dying. The whole squad was firing every heavy weapon we had at it.

Yeah I fought one today that survived a railcannon strike and a load of 110s and had to be finished off with rockets. They are tougher than they used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone else having trouble with their headphone sound in this game? It often comes through choppy and distorted on my headphones. Darktide had this problem as well like one time, but Helldivers 2 does it every time.