Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Alchenar posted:

Remember how in Michael tried a mutiny and it instantly failed and she had to watch a battle from the brig because the universe didn't revolve around her?

The universe still does but that was one of those learning moments for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

literally every episode has Michael like, doing a loop of the ship, talking to everyone and solving all the problems. there's almost no scenes where the plot is allowed to progress without her being present.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Once again Michael Burnham is the least interesting character but still has every moment centered around her. I remember liking the Tilly episode last season where she was stranded with a bunch of cadets because it was about someone else for once.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's right. Dull, nothing-going-on-upstairs....

Michael.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Warp surfing

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Actual Satan posted:

Warp surfing

Wurfing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Overall, the first two S5 Disco eps are fun. (I knew I recognized Rayner from somewhere but couldn't put a finger on it; thank you to whoever first called out that he was Leoben in :bsg:.)

I like that the tone has continued to lighten up, now that they've fixed the burn and they're done with last season's whole "should have been a two-parter instead of a season-long arc" 10C thing. The resurgent Federation and Starfleet are starting to feel like the good guys again -- even Cronenberg's over-the-top state secrecy doesn't feel malicious.

The speeder bike chase with the avalanche was ridiculous, but in a good way, and I liked the final visual of the ships acting as a shield.

When the drones were chasing them through the jungle, did anyone else flash back to the good old Echo Papa 607?

Really the only part I rolled my eyes at was Saru's big emotional goodbye with Burnham. Isn't this, like, the third time they've done this exact scene?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I did find it amusing that their super-secret spy room is basically a gag from Invincible.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I had forgotten how Burnham needs to constantly explain to everyone why they are wrong and she is right.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Really the only part I rolled my eyes at was Saru's big emotional goodbye with Burnham. Isn't this, like, the third time they've done this exact scene?

I am actually going to miss Discovery a lot, and I thought the first two episodes were really good. That said, this show has had so many goodbye scenes, and a lot of times, the characters aren't actually going anywhere.

Off the top of my head, the same scene exists for Spock, Nhan, Tilly, Georgiou, and now Saru. Also Culber literally died at one point. Am I missing any?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do they ever stop the constant whisper talking? not only does it fail make the scene more dramatic, it's loving hard to understand what they're saying! Boom mics are not made to be whispered into!!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s been very little in these first two eps. The only thing I can think of is Saru’s goodbye scene, but I’ll allow it because it’s a quiet, private moment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do feel like Michael and Saru in particular have had this conversation of how much they love and respect each other several times and have parted ways or thought they were going to part ways several times. But I don't mind, it's very sweet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I dug Michael finding out that Saru has a cool nickname that everybody but her was aware of, and then later on finding out that Book didn't give it to him like she thought, it was some completely unrelated person who just thinks (knows) that Saru rules :hellyeah:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
National Treasure, Trek edition.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blastron posted:

Who wants to put money on the resolution of Stamets’s current arc being finding weird Progenitor biotech that lets anyone be a navigator without needing to be genetically enhanced? Bonus points if the Pathway drive is inferior to the spore drive in some crucial way but was selected purely because of the navigator problem.

The problem with the spore drive is that it is terrible for television. Many problems are trivialized by being able to summon backup instantly. Exploration becomes trivial. A fleet of spore ships could map the whole galaxy and contact every species in a few months.

And they've already established that the mycelial network is essential for the existence of life (lol) so they can't say "oh it doesn't work here" or "the bag guys blew up the network."

If they let this genie out of the bottle there is no star trekking after 3190.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope we see a Pathway Drive in action at some point.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Am I supposed to remember how the Pathway Drive works

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They haven't shown one yet

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Fred was fun. It's a shame there won't be more Fred.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They haven't shown one yet

OK cool, sometimes I see something in these shows I feel like "did they show that last season? I will never ever know because I'll never go back to check"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pik_d posted:

OK cool, sometimes I see something in these shows I feel like "did they show that last season? I will never ever know because I'll never go back to check"

They've talked about it but it's always been an off screen thing other characters we don't know we're working on. Kind of like how in S2 of DS9 different races started to talk about the dominion before we actually saw it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Here's how it works: workers and volunteers from Federation Parks and Rec will clear the path of debris and lay down a layer of crushed stone or wood chips. Branches and other obstructions will be removed to above head height, and trees along the route will be marked with a tag or a spray paint of a visible color unique to the trail.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised they didn't just fix Fred. He's ancient technology compared to what they have. Though I guess that would just be another person looking for the macguffin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

These episodes weren't bad, but my god I really can't stand the way that dialog is written on this show. It's just extremely off-putting.

I didn't mind a callback to the Promellians from TNG's 'Booby Trap'.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What, you don't enjoy a Starfleet captain in the 32nd century shouting "for the win"?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Grand Fromage posted:

What, you don't enjoy a Starfleet captain in the 32nd century shouting "for the win"?

Jesus I'm so glad I stopped watching that thing in the middle of S2.

Literally in the middle of an episode I got fed up, said out loud "I can't watch this poo poo anymore," stopped it, and never looked back.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I will also never get used to those weird brainstorming sessions that this show likes to do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will also never get used to those weird brainstorming sessions that this show likes to do.

They're bad because they're just technobabbling. If it were discussing real things it might be interesting, but debating if it's a Fritz-Lang cycle fusion drive or a gravity assimilator is wasting time about nothing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I am also not surprised that he's back, but I wish that Book was not a major part of the show. He just bores me to death.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am also not surprised that he's back, but I wish that Book was not a major part of the show. He just bores me to death.

Okay but did you consider that the season's antagonist might be the only family he's got left?

It's a small, small world.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Like I appreciate that they got Elias Toufexis on the show, but so far this MacGuffin thing is boring. They have not said that these two people are working for someone else so the ticking clock thing doesn't really apply.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I didn't realize there were two episodes and shut it off at the end of episode one because I was falling asleep anyway and I didn't want to hear ads. So I have another episode to watch today, yay (?).

Also calling it now since I'm always wrong and this will protect us from this outcome, but I wouldn't be surprised if all this TNG stuff is foreshadowing the true boss of the season, the Borg.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everybody is real eager to get their hands on the progenitor spooge machine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They are going to make so much ancient cum

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They can put the alien cum on the horta home world and force all the horta to evolve into humanoids. LOL, owned.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol L'ak has Adam Jensen's voice, very jarring to see his alien face when I looked up. praying we get a "I didn't ask for this" before shows end.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Finished the episode.
Glad to see Grudge again :swoon:
Glad we got some Action Saru scenes.
Hoping we might get some Breen action since they were mentioned as having a new leader.

Self-sealing Stem Bolts in episode 1, garbage scow in episode 2. Wonder if we'll consistently get one reference per episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Self-sealing Stem Bolts in episode 1, garbage scow in episode 2. Wonder if we'll consistently get one reference per episode.
There was a lot more than that. The long-dead aliens from this episode were previously from TNG's 'Booby Trap'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was a lot more than that. The long-dead aliens from this episode were previously from TNG's 'Booby Trap'

Oh yikes that’s the first Leah Brahms episode, I usually skip that one.