Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Black Sheep is a big step down from Tommy Boy tbf and the dynamic between Spade and Farley is not as strongly defined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ok I think I was thinking of Tommy Boy. That's the one people said was good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Us is a weird case where the film’s definitely got its messy parts but if you were to write those out the whole wouldn’t work quite as well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

Us is a weird case where the film’s definitely got its messy parts but if you were to write those out the whole wouldn’t work quite as well.

it could lose the part where they try to explain the doubles as a government experiment

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Us explains things the exact wrong amount.

The explanation in the film is just enough to kill any mystique but also not quite enough for it to make logical sense.

Reverse Goldilocks.

I love that film dearly but that part doesn't work at all

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The biggest knock against Us is that I've never felt felt an urge to revisit it since I originally saw it in theaters whereas I can watch Get Out and Nope over and over again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

it could lose the part where they try to explain the doubles as a government experiment

This is why I love the movie. I love conspiracies about secret underground government bases and Us had just enough that left me unsettled.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nope is one of my favourite movies, and I feel it says something since I usually don't like horror movies at all. Then again, it doesn't really do things remotely the same way as most of them.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The jurassic world movies are so awful they make us forget sometimes, how important Jurassic Park is,

because there's not a lot of original footage of dinosaurs

- my friend, to me, just now, after two beers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Studios won't make any other dinosaur movies because Jurassic Park is already a dinosaur movie!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

on the topic of punk films, was Class of 1984 mentioned? 80s thriller with lovely teen punks causing mayhem in a high school, a music teacher pushed to the edge, some awesome fashions, a tiny michael j fox, and one ill-advised rape scene

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Blood Boils posted:

The jurassic world movies are so awful they make us forget sometimes, how important Jurassic Park is,

because there's not a lot of original footage of dinosaurs

- my friend, to me, just now, after two beers

They’re not wrong. Buy them an account!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVw54143tOc

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Us has the best performances of all of Peele's films. That cast is across the board spectacular in those duel roles. And Lupita Nyong'o is on a level above that.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Forgot to actually add my praise for Us, which might not be my favourite of his films but is technically spectacular.

I don't know of there being, and find it difficult to imagine there being a better version of actors playing two roles appearing on screen at the same time.

The fight scene choreography must have been insane to rehearse. You're ballet dirty fighting with someone who isn't there to have something to work off of. It'd be like figure skating pairs having to do their skate seperately at different rinks and then the judges judge based on how the performances are merged on screen.

The song that plays during the fight is pitch perfect. I think it might tie with the Orenishii duel for best fight music I can recall just now. Like that last example the track is tense without being pretentious. It swells and ebbs with the fight but actually also swells when there's a lull to show you things aren't over.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 6, 2024

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Bright Bart posted:

I don't know of there being, and find it difficult to imagine there being a better version of actors playing two roles appearing on screen at the same time.

:colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

The fight scene choreography must have been insane to rehearse. You're ballet dirty fighting with someone who isn't there to have something to work off of. It'd be like figure skating pairs having to do their skate seperately at different rinks and then the judges judge based on how the performances are mercedes on screen.

I assume they pasted Nyong'o's face on a stunt double when they just couldn't fake it with a stuntie and some clever angles.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Important Update for Chicagolanders:
The movie 'Hundreds of Beavers' is playing on April 10th at Music Box at 9:30 p.m. Everyone who can, should attend.
https://www.hundredsofbeavers.com/tickets/

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A while ago someone posted a ytotd that was a short film about the jersey devil, probably made with grant funding and shot on VHS. Anybody still have that?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

A while ago someone posted a ytotd that was a short film about the jersey devil, probably made with grant funding and shot on VHS. Anybody still have that?

I don’t know Grant Funding. What else has he been in?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Complaining that Jurassic World or Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom aren't as good is like complaining that James Cameron hasn't made another Jurassic Park when he's also made The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ShoogaSlim posted:

Complaining that Jurassic World or Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom aren't as good is like complaining that James Cameron hasn't made another Jurassic Park when he's also made The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

excuse me

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
It's a good Scorsese bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this the new GenChat bit

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’ve long considered making a “James Cameron’s Bright Star” joke thread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn, Miracle Mile takes a turn.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw Miracle Mile as part of a mystery movie marathon and everyone in the screen loved it. We were having a great time laughing at how ridiculous it was, basically an absurdist masterpiece. Then got home and saw a bunch of reviews about it being legitimately scary and effectively dramatic. It was insane. I love that movie but apparently what I love about it happened completely by accident.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Miracle Mile is one of the very few movies to give me nightmares as an adult

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Miracle Mile. Extremely good. I've been watching so much garbage lately thanks to that drat 15 DVDs for 5 bucks deal, I think Miracle Mile is my first certified banger of the year. The first part is fun but from the phone call onwards it just goes

Escobarbarian posted:

Saw Miracle Mile as part of a mystery movie marathon and everyone in the screen loved it. We were having a great time laughing at how ridiculous it was, basically an absurdist masterpiece. Then got home and saw a bunch of reviews about it being legitimately scary and effectively dramatic. It was insane. I love that movie but apparently what I love about it happened completely by accident.

Are you thinking of the right movie? The part where the cops explode themselves is over the top but beyond that I'd say "harrowing" is the appropriate descriptor.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Miracle Mile is a very distressing movie. The only kind of laughter I can even imagine during it is nervous laughter.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's some deliberately cute/wacky stuff in there IIRC but if you remember the Cold War it's not very funny at all.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Baron von Eevl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Si_p81aSqo
?

Probably not this sucks

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

I watched Miracle Mile. Extremely good. I've been watching so much garbage lately thanks to that drat 15 DVDs for 5 bucks deal, I think Miracle Mile is my first certified banger of the year. The first part is fun but from the phone call onwards it just goes

Are you thinking of the right movie? The part where the cops explode themselves is over the top but beyond that I'd say "harrowing" is the appropriate descriptor.

I was wondering why you’d been subjecting yourself to so much shite

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

No, it was late 80s or 90s. The eventual resolution was there's a species of small carnivore that is just literally invisible for some reason.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched 180 Degrees South. Pretty boring.

It's theoretically about this guy retracing this mythical journey two surfers took to the tip of South America in the 60s. Those two guys did the whole trip in a VW microbus full of shovels and rakes and implements of destructionsurfboards down the pan-american highway which at the time was mostly dirt roads. That sounds cool I'd watch a documentary about that. But as I said, this is about a guy retracing that journey. And he doesn't even bother to retrace it, he's too busy, he doesn't have the time to drive down there. He just sails down there. They try to make it sound like he's paying his way working as a deckhand or some poo poo but he very obviously is just sailing in his friend's boat.

The movie gestures a lot towards actually being about conservation, but it's all built on the story of this guy's trip, and it's such a basically normal trip and he does not grow or change at all, so the most charitable way to describe the movie is that it's home video of a guy's vacation.

The less charitable description is that it's a veiled promotional video for Patagonia brand equipment and clothing. Which is accurate. They never say "good thing I'm wearing my Patagonia hiking pants!" or anything, and I don't think the Patagonia logo appears on screen ever. But I looked into the movie and one of the guys who did the original trip founded Patagonia. And the guy doing the movie just so happens to be a Patagonia brand ambassador. It's a very clever Patagonia commercial.

The Modest Mouse guy did the theme song tho and I do like it.

But if you want something about the pleasure of being outdoors, Laid Back Camp's third season started yesterday. Just watch Laid Back Camp. That's always a good move.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Monkey Man was fun although it could stand to be trimmed down a bit (the “rebuilding section” was too long).

I couldn’t tell if the safe in Queen’s office was a loose thread or a red herring although I’m leaning towards the latter. I thought Bobby was going to pull off a slick con or something but nope he charges ahead with an insanely half-baked attack at the first opportunity that doesn’t accomplish anything. Somewhat refreshing to see an action protagonist who’s just… not very good (at least at the beginning). A bit reminiscent of Blue Ruin in that regard although that movie is a million times more grounded than this hyperreality.

Biggest laugh was try to escape through the window and just painfully bouncing off the safety glass.

The movie doesn’t tread a whole lot of new ground outside of the cast and location but honestly that’s enough.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Ok this is driving me crazy and I need your help - I met a girl and she reminds me of an actress but I can't remember the name of the actress.

She's a brunette, with big hair and prominent eyebrows and cheekbones. She was never a leading lady, mostly supporting roles. Maybe something with Michael Douglas? I think she was bigger in the 80s or 90s, but maybe she had a later role in one of the NCIS or similar crime shows?

I've been googling for an hour now ah it's driving me nuts who is she?

edit: oh thank god I found it Jeanne Tripplehorn she was in Basic Instinct with Douglas and Criminal Minds. Phew.

vvv oh good guess

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 8, 2024

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Might be a stab in the dark but 90s brunette with prominent cheekbones who later did network procedurals made me think Marcia Gay Harden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
Jeanne Tripplehorn?