Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think people forget he can be your favorite to watch without being the best. like me with Iverson. that's a bad example cause he actually was the best. like me with Jamie Moyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Shaq is 4th behind Jokic, wilt, Kareem

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

:haibrow:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Poppers posted:

Shaq is the greatest offensive center. What lol?

If Shaq wanted that title he should have made his drat free throws.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pretty weird to claim someone as the greatest ____ ever when hes only won a single championship and earned 1 mvp

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah but he's white and goofy

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

kingcobweb posted:

correct

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Poppers posted:

Shaq is the greatest offensive center. What lol?

It's a bit early in his career but he has some insane outlier abilities beyond his passing. He's not the unstoppable bully under the rim Shaq was, but his short floater game is potentially the best ever.

He's just kinda unorthodox and it's hard to compare him to even contemporaries like Embiid.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Telluric Whistler posted:

It's a bit early in his career but he has some insane outlier abilities beyond his passing. He's not the unstoppable bully under the rim Shaq was, but his short floater game is potentially the best ever.

He's just kinda unorthodox and it's hard to compare him to even contemporaries like Embiid.

This.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
hakeem is the greatest C in basketball history, anyone who disagrees has permanent laker-brain or is racist.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wilt is far and away the best offensive center ever to play (to the extent it's even possible to compare players from different eras) but he doesn't get the respect he should because he was surrounded by mediocrity and so didn't win a shitload of championships.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Azathoth posted:

Wilt is far and away the best offensive center ever to play (to the extent it's even possible to compare players from different eras) but he doesn't get the respect he should because he was surrounded by mediocrity and so didn't win a shitload of championships.

im surrounded by mediocrity and havent won many posting awards either but you dont see me crying about it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

do u think theres ever been a homosexual nba player

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

No never. Real men are straight and love to play with big balls.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

100% Kobe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

No never. Real men are straight and love to play with big balls.

huh. i never knew

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

If Jokic isnt top three all time then why do all your favorite players always lose to him? Does this generation just suck? Or, in fact, is Jokic way better than you give him credit for?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

If Jokic isnt top three all time then why do all your favorite players always lose to him? Does this generation just suck? Or, in fact, is Jokic way better than you give him credit for?

always? hes won one championship

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

do u think theres ever been a homosexual nba player

jason collins came out in 2013

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My favorite team has clinched a better record than Jokic's team actually

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jokic needs to keep performing at this level for 5 more years or so before he's gonna be in the GOAT conversation. He's on pace to be a top 10 guy but so was Tracy McGrady.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

Jokic needs to keep performing at this level for 5 more years or so before he's gonna be in the GOAT conversation. He's on pace to be a top 10 guy but so was Tracy McGrady.

before he won any MVPs or a championship maybe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

loquacius posted:

My favorite team has clinched a better record than Jokic's team actually

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Azathoth posted:

He's going to do 4 more years and then just bail to hang out on his farm in Serbia because he definitely doesn't give a poo poo

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Vox Nihili posted:

If Shaq wanted that title he should have made his drat free throws.

Didn’t need to. He scored like 30ppg for most of his career in an era where teams scored like maybe 90 points a game

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dreylad posted:

He's going to do 4 more years and then just bail to hang out on his farm in Serbia because he definitely doesn't give a poo poo

An inspiration for the children.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

white people justifying why the white center with no defense is actually top 5 all time

such an interesting thread

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dreylad posted:

:rolleyes: he obviously cares quite a bit about the nba and yall marks eat his poo poo up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

If Jokic isnt top three all time then why do all your favorite players always lose to him?

they don't. he almost always loses in the playoffs actually

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't have a dog in the greatest offensive center of all time argument but I guess I'd pick Shaq because he was very famous when I was a kid and that's the level of seriousness I'm affording this argument

Strike "offensive" from the argument and I'm obviously picking Bill Russell for homer reasons

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Seriously though Wilt Chamberlain is regularly included in "best player of all time full stop" conversations, even if he doesn't often win them, so he's probably the right choice after the category is narrowed to "offensive center", even if he was Laker scum

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

loquacius posted:

Seriously though Wilt Chamberlain is regularly included in "best player of all time full stop" conversations, even if he doesn't often win them, so he's probably the right choice after the category is narrowed to "offensive center", even if he was Laker scum

Wilt and Kareem are both top 5 all time players and are both better players than Jokic.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

is wemby already in the conversation for greatest defensive center of all time??

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it's really weird that in the mvp races recently and itt people constantly try to use jokics race and his fans race as a way of muting the conversation around his obviously generational talent, but hey yknow let's keep talking

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

indigi posted:

:rolleyes: he obviously cares quite a bit about the nba and yall marks eat his poo poo up

well yeah it makes him a shitload of money, he cares, but it's funnier to imagine that he doesn't care about legacy stuff because he's just having fun in life

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sga is the best offensive guard of all time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Might be the most perfectly constructed hot take I've ever seen

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

is wemby already in the conversation for greatest defensive center of all time??

Yes, no question.

fart simpson posted:

Yes, but specifically for the soft and weak foul baiting era he plays in -- which Wemby will bring an end to

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

All this best of worst of hot take poo poo is so dumb.

Watch the players play, enjoy the matchuos you see today. When it is gone it is gone. You will never see prime Shaq against prime Jokic. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Jokic is the #1 offensive center all time imo because of his passing/threes/free throws. Worth keeping in mind that Wilt was doing his thing attempting over 30 shots per game. I really think people underrate assists in the NBA compared to the NHL and soccer where they are essentially considered "points" as opposed to goals and players like CP3 and Jokic should be rated a lot higher all time because of them

It's just a different league now. A player like Deandre Ayton who shoots midrange jumpers and stuffs it inside would be a top 50/75 player all time in a previous era because they would give it to him every possession. A player like Curry or Jokic is better today because they function better in an open court

Like "per possession" Jokic produces the most points of all time for a center with no comparison, but in terms of being dominant in the post probably nobody will ever match 1999-2003 Shaq. If the three pointer didn't exist and passing was limited the current NBA talent pool would play a whole lot differently

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Apr 8, 2024