Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to think of what class I should play for Season 4. I like all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im going druid i think. or barb

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

im kinda leaning towards barb since I haven't played them yet in a season. Wanna find a good easy to follow build for season 4. I've just been making it up as I go the last three seasons.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I have a 100 ball lightning sorc and its extremely boring. I want something more active

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
necromancer looks like it'll finally have end game build variety and some of their skills will actually do what they say and not rely on bugs on top of bugs to do any damage. barb has weird tornadoes, hurricane boulder druid is able to one shot all content in the PTR right not so maybe they will have a more mobile end game caster build. TB rogue exists again if you haven't played that already. Sorc.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

I have a 100 ball lightning sorc and its extremely boring. I want something more active
Are you using raiment? I’m having a blast zipping around melting everything with orb and paingorger-enhanced arc lash.

Finally got my flickerstep as well. Infinite teleport and ultimate uptime is a fun combination.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Having looked at the PTR and the new stats/systems I am not liking the look of the Tempering Manuals and items having such a low number of possible Tempering applications. I just dont like the idea of needing to grind/earn all the items and manuals, which will require RNG to get items you would want to apply a Manual to in the first place, but then you can get hosed by RNG not giving you the affix you want from the Manual you used so you have to start the roulette wheel over again by finding another item you like and more of the manuals just to try again.

grinding rng drops is the entire point of the genre so youre going to be disappointed if youre hoping for that to go away

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Are any of the goon clans actively online? Would be great to be able to actually group for things.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Bisse posted:

S4 looking up for sure, but. Depends on what you didn’t like about it but, let’s say, the campaign is basically the same, the gameplay is the same but slightly better overall, the buold balance is much better (no more HotA oneshots, ball sorc poo poo etc, still many op builds tho but nowhere near the same level of crazy), the items and crafting is much better, and the end game is much much better and actually fun and filled with stuff to do.

I didn't like how there were too many trap options that made the character you build good until a certain breakpoint where you're out of scaling options for x because you should have ran y only y is good because paragon board only supports the scaling of THIS not of THESE etc. Every other problem was basically relating to this one but the number one thing that stopped me playing is that all my drops were useless after a certain point and there were so many, and they were all useless.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
trap options ftw

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ersatz posted:

Are any of the goon clans actively online? Would be great to be able to actually group for things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ersatz posted:

no, and the discord is not really active anymore. Are there any plans to implement matchmaking / social features into D4?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
last campfire got a "we hear you" type response. not coming in season 4, maybe later

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

bamhand posted:

Are the manuals drops or just a thing that you always have?

Tempering is the new enchanting where you can brick your item after too many failures. The point of the game is to find gear so I think you just have to have the mentality that the item you found wasn't actually good and you have to move on.

Playing LE made me realize having a 3/4 item is just fine and you can use that until you find your 4/4.

i think the manuals are drops but i don't remember anything about the manuals being temporary. i thought they were like the current implementation of glyphs: get them to drop once/season but otherwise available for infinite use.

i'm not going by the PTR though, just screenshots of the items and what i remember from the chat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

harrygomm posted:

last campfire got a "we hear you" type response. not coming in season 4, maybe later

So weird! Ooh well, is what it is. Yeah hopefully season 5.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

wanting matchmaking in a diablo is so alien to me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guess Diablo hasn't really had matchmaking before, except D3. The rest were an open lobby menu. I'm unsure the best way to handle finding people to play with in D4.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

harrygomm posted:

i think the manuals are drops but i don't remember anything about the manuals being temporary. i thought they were like the current implementation of glyphs: get them to drop once/season but otherwise available for infinite use.

i'm not going by the PTR though, just screenshots of the items and what i remember from the chat
That is my understanding as well. Temper manuals are drops, they come in blue -> yellow -> orange qualities, and once you've learned them they are permanently available for use.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bio347 posted:

That is my understanding as well. Temper manuals are drops, they come in blue -> yellow -> orange qualities, and once you've learned them they are permanently available for use.
If this is the case I am less concerned about it but still fearful it’ll cause some bad RNG to piss me off. I’m not saying I think it’ll be bad and I need to try it to be sure, but it just screams “you’re going to end up wasting a lot of time and energy on this mechanic that is RNG heavy”. I hope I’m wrong.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I see so many posts from people about how fun it is to play the game couch co-op and I've got plenty of fond memories of grouping in D2 and D3. :v:

Basic functionality to auto group and do a NMD, season content or big boss runs is a no-brainer.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

“you’re going to end up wasting a lot of time and energy on this mechanic that is RNG heavy”

its an arpg yes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Doomykins posted:

I see so many posts from people about how fun it is to play the game couch co-op and I've got plenty of fond memories of grouping in D2 and D3. :v:

Basic functionality to auto group and do a NMD, season content or big boss runs is a no-brainer.

they should add matchmaking with d2 loot drop rules :)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If this is the case I am less concerned about it but still fearful it’ll cause some bad RNG to piss me off. I’m not saying I think it’ll be bad and I need to try it to be sure, but it just screams “you’re going to end up wasting a lot of time and energy on this mechanic that is RNG heavy”. I hope I’m wrong.

You're far more likely to get an item with all the affixes you need under this new system than the current one.

You're drawing from a smaller pool of affixes (~10 rather than ~25), the item only needs to drop with two that you need, and you get multiple tempering rolls drawing from a pool of only 5

You will, however, almost certainly get a good drop and have crafting go badly at least once. That's just how systems like this work

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ersatz posted:

Are you using raiment? I’m having a blast zipping around melting everything with orb and paingorger-enhanced arc lash.

Finally got my flickerstep as well. Infinite teleport and ultimate uptime is a fun combination.

Yeah, raiment, esu’s heirloom, and tibault. It’s a fun mobile class, but I’m not smart enough to make it do ridiculous damage.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Stux posted:

they should add matchmaking with d2 loot drop rules :)

I am a little nostalgic for the intense adrenaline rush of the boss death clickfest.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

A discord bud told me they have the new Uber Lilith on PTR so logged in again and tried her.

Beat her after an hour. Its a good fight now. Still a little dumb that you cant kill her until she dropped all 3 platforms in phase two, but everything is better about her and her hitboxes and visuals and you die in 2-3 hits instead of one. Good job Blizztards.

Having looked at the PTR and the new stats/systems I am not liking the look of the Tempering Manuals and items having such a low number of possible Tempering applications. I just dont like the idea of needing to grind/earn all the items and manuals, which will require RNG to get items you would want to apply a Manual to in the first place, but then you can get hosed by RNG not giving you the affix you want from the Manual you used so you have to start the roulette wheel over again by finding another item you like and more of the manuals just to try again.
You get manuals just from playing the game so by the time youre lvl100 you'll have all you need.

Getting an item hosed by tempering RNG would have been an issue if it was today's D4, but in season 4 it is simply a lot easier to find good base items so it really isn't a problem. The game has shifted from hoping for unreliable good drops to working your way through a much more reliable crafting progression, which is a good thing.

OxMan posted:

Every other problem was basically relating to this one but the number one thing that stopped me playing is that all my drops were useless after a certain point and there were so many, and they were all useless.
W.... well.... that is the Main Thing They Fixed. It is an ARPG so you still gonna be finding items you don't need anymore, but you will spend 5 seconds instead of 2 minutes sorting out the garbage and you will do it twice an hour instead of every 10mins, and you have a bunch of improvements to do on your items.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 8, 2024

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bisse posted:

A discord bud told me they have the new Uber Lilith on PTR so logged in again and tried her.

Beat her after an hour. Its a good fight now. Still a little dumb that you cant kill her until she dropped all 3 platforms in phase two, but everything is better about her and her hitboxes and visuals and you die in 2-3 hits instead of one. Good job Blizztards.

Sure there's a Bliz guy pretty mad about having to nerf Lilith. Probably the same guy who thought up the original Uber unique drop rate and added the extra seconds to teleporting out of a dungeon

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

MrMidnight posted:

Sure there's a Bliz guy pretty mad about having to nerf Lilith. Probably the same guy who thought up the original Uber unique drop rate and added the extra seconds to teleporting out of a dungeon
Well he got to keep his immortal last pixel of health until all the platforms drop so the battle ain't over yet

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah, raiment, esu’s heirloom, and tibault. It’s a fun mobile class, but I’m not smart enough to make it do ridiculous damage.

The blizzard sorc is pretty fun this season. I imagine you can swap into that with about 10 mins of work to swap skills and drop Glacial and Frozen Tundra on an amulet and weapon accordingly. Uses the same uniques, run Prodigys and Umbral if you don't have either of the rings.

Edit: Key thing to remember: The roll on Frozen Tundra doesn't matter. The roll on Glacial is -everything-

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow are minions actually viable now on the ptr

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

queeb posted:

wow are minions actually viable now on the ptr

They now get 100% of your stats up from 30(?) iirc

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
They're super aggressive now too. The video I saw they were swarming all over stuff it was awesome, I hope they do they same with the druid wolf bros.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Necro and druid are the last two I have to play a season with, sounds like it's gonna be necro.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Field Mousepad posted:

They're super aggressive now too. The video I saw they were swarming all over stuff it was awesome, I hope they do they same with the druid wolf bros.

Yeah I forgot they changed the AI too, it's a lot better. Melee minions still spend too much time not attacking IMO and we still really need a way to make them focus fire.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Decided to at least finish my season pass, bugged trophies be damned. Played for a few hours last night and the game is still fun! Traded Herald summons with a few randos, ran a couple of vaults, fought Varshan, upgraded a few pieces of equipment. Good times.

I thought maybe getting into PoE these last few weeks would sour me on D4, but nope. Still liking it. Now I just have to remember what I was going for on my Paragon board for my double swing and charge Barb. Started out following the maxroll guide but veered off into my own thing at some point. Should've left notes somewhere like I usually do with D2 or Monster Hunter games.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Re: Goon clan chat, I’m a suboptimal clan leader due to the combination of limited availability and mainly playing on PS5 sans-mic (so as to not wake the kids/dad-lyfe).

That said, if there’s interest among folks here for forming a new clan for Duriel rotas, Gauntlet runs, etc., I’d be happy to start one and then officer up anyone in the thread.

Alternatively, if one of the older clans could simply be revived toward that end, that might be preferable.

Season 3 endgame obviously leaves a lot to be desired, but easy grouping could unlock some fun things.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I just started this on gamepass and would be down to clan though I can't promise I'll be running endgame stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I played D4 today on my necro and I had fun.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

I said come in! posted:

im kinda leaning towards barb since I haven't played them yet in a season. Wanna find a good easy to follow build for season 4. I've just been making it up as I go the last three seasons.

https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/hammer-of-the-ancients-barbarian-leveling-guide

Hammer of the ancients, good mobility and aoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

2nd. At power spikes it's giggly levels of sudden increases in damage.

Also make sure to follow the guide piece by piece and don't just jump to the final build. It works best when you respec into each phase because each one is helping you with fury generation until you get the right items to never do anything but hammer ever again.