Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

binge crotching posted:

My father in law bought two piglets that they named cutlets and schnitzel, and raised them for a couple of years before having their kids help slaughter and butcher them. Apparently they were named that so the kids wouldn't get too attached.

When I was a kid my grandpa had a hobby farm (mostly just chickens) and one day we went to visit and he had two young calves in a pen. One of the calves was blind, but Grandpa put a bell on the other calf so the blind one learned to follow him around. One was red and one was black. They were adorable! We visited all summer and always ran to hang out with the calves first thing.

Then in September, right around my birthday, I came home from school to find a huge mound of meat piled on the dining room table. It was (literally) half a cow, skinned and gutted but with hooves still attached so there was a little tuft of distinctive red hair at the ankle. Mom explained that Grandpa knew how much we loved the little blind calf so he made sure our beef came from him. That day I got to learn how to butcher a cow and grind up the offcuts.

Anyway, it was horrific to young me and I cried secretly afterward but in the end it was really desensitizing and I have had no difficulty since then with the concept of eating cute animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BrigadierSensible posted:

milk talk:

A glass of Milo, or a tall glass of strawberry Big M is a top notch way to stary the morning.

And I would look admiringly upon anybody ordering either in a bar.

Edit: Do Americans have Milo? If not then I weep for your god forsaken wasteland of a country

I know I've seen Milo in the US, but Ovaltine is more common.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I make all of my protein shakes with milk and I'm not sorry.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think if you are at a bar and don't want to drink alcohol you should just have diet coke or sprite. It looks like a drink anyway and they got a nozzle for it

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Beachcomber posted:

Counterpoint: a pint is two cups which is really hardly any milk at all. Not like, say, a quart which is also easily finish-able by one person. Especially if it's chocolate or strawberry.

I can definitely pound a quart of chocolate milk, maybe 2 if it's all lactose free.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think if you are at a bar and don't want to drink alcohol you should just have diet coke or sprite. It looks like a drink anyway and they got a nozzle for it

Coke and/or sprite are the drinks of cowards and ne'er-do-wells, especially if it's to cover for the fact that you don't want to drink alcohol. Milk grows strong bones and gives you intestinal distress if you're intolerant. Sounds like milk is for the tough and sturdy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do what to drink alcohol and I would rather my bar be full of cowards

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't like the taste of alcohol. Mad?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

WIBTA for insisting my roommates dont use my cup to top off the fish tank?

quote:

What it says on the tin.

I have a cup (I got it for free, but it is mine, it even has my name on it) that I really like.

I noticed that my roommates have been consistantly using it to top off the fish tank and I told them not to. Like I don't mind when they drink out of it, but it just kinda grosses me out when they use it for the fish tank. I know that it's not dirty afterwords since they just use our tap water, and it's illogical for me to be so grossed out by it, but something about it just really makes me sick to my stomach.

We compromised on them washing the cup afterwords, which does make me feel better, but I would really prefer if they just used a different cup entirely. We have plenty of cups they could use instead and I wouldn't care if they used any of those, but them using That Specific Cup makes me really queesy.

So WIBTA if I insisted they stop using my cup?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Grey Cat posted:

I can definitely pound a quart of chocolate milk, maybe 2 if it's all lactose free.

That's where it is. Forget side-eyeing someone for drinking milk at a bar, if someone's got chocolate milk I'm gonna join em :guinness:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
If you're fine with your roommates drinking out of your stupid cup just have them gulp the water out of it and spit it into the fish tank, christ

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
it is stupid and illogical to feel literally sick because someone poured water into a receptacle, but if it's your cup you are the boss of it and your roommates are the assholes for ignoring your request

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
“Top off the tank” is just pouring a little more water into it, right? It never touches the water already in the tank?

Grey Cat posted:

This is leading up to a mod challenge isn’t it

mystes
May 31, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

it is stupid and illogical to feel literally sick because someone poured water into a receptacle, but if it's your cup you are the boss of it and your roommates are the assholes for ignoring your request
yeah agreed

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, worst thing that'll be in the cup is tap water and dechlorinator (unless they're on well/rain/reverse-osmosis/etc water). Plus salt if they're running a saltwater tank.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grey Cat posted:

Awhile back my grocery store had this enriched chocolate milk with extra protein and less carbs than regular milk, and I fuckin' pounded that poo poo like a quart per day for I don't even remember how many months..... until one day I opened a fresh carton and the milk inside was just utterly FOUL. I don't know what the gently caress was wrong with it, if it was a bad batch or it just turned (it was well before the exp date), but for some reason the milk was fizzy and tasted absolutely disgusting, like I distinctly remember wondering if a cow had pissed in it it was so gross.

That was about 10 years ago, and I haven't been able to drink chocolate milk since.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This. I'm very likely not to have grandchildren, and it makes me sad. Not because of the Lupin lineage, but because I liked the idea of a little bit of me going on after I'm gone. Like, one of my kids is a social worker and the work they do will help people, so that's also a heritage. But I wanted there to be people who didn't know I ever existed, whose lives still have some infinitesimal sliver of mine.

Needless to say, I don't say poo poo about this to my children.
Well, I think you still get that. I understand the genetic angle, but I think a little bit of you does go on, because you've passed things on to your children but also your friends and family and people you love, and they pass things on to people around them, and they pass things on to people around them. Even online, you're passing things on to people around you, and I think that's valuable.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
When my brother was in his late teens/young adulthood he was drinking heaps of milk, like a few big glasses per day as well as having it in cups of tea and in cereal. Apparently you shouldn't be drinking that much milk because you can't process that much calcium and he ended up with kidney stones.

I love milk, it's great but outside of having it with Bailey's or Kahlua I don't see it getting much use in a bar. That being said I would not judge anyone who was drinking it at a bar, just let people like what they like, who cares!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

ad090 posted:

quote:

if I had kids they would be afterthoughts like I was.
drat, is there such as thing as a fifth-degree burn?

eta: I like milk with cookies.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 8, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PetraCore posted:

Well, I think you still get that. I understand the genetic angle, but I think a little bit of you does go on, because you've passed things on to your children but also your friends and family and people you love, and they pass things on to people around them, and they pass things on to people around them. Even online, you're passing things on to people around you, and I think that's valuable.

Isn't this the basic idea behind epigenetics?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The big problem with milk is that dairy cows are not good for meat and you only get a few gallons of milk for each cow you kill to remove its milk. Even modern dairy cows don't hold that much milk and then you're stuck with a big pile of meat and bones and skin. Sure you can get people to process that, but it's a lot of work and waste for each milked cow.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

The big problem with milk is that dairy cows are not good for meat and you only get a few gallons of milk for each cow you kill to remove its milk. Even modern dairy cows don't hold that much milk and then you're stuck with a big pile of meat and bones and skin. Sure you can get people to process that, but it's a lot of work and waste for each milked cow.

If you capture them a Palsphere you get the milk drop on capture, and then you can butcher them to get it again. Double the yield.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's no reason that old dairy cows can't be eaten unless they're pumping them full of chemicals, which, like, they shouldn't.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I grew up around lots of small family farms.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for despising my boyfriend’s Duck Dynasty beard?

quote:

My boyfriend and I matched on a dating app in December of 2022. In his pictures he was clean shaven or had no longer than an inch of beard hair. Legitimately 30 seconds before I walked into our first date, he texted me word for word “how do you feel about beards?” to which I replied something along the lines of “I like them!” That was not a lie, as I do like the common beard. I walk up to our date and see him standing there with a beard that’s like armpit level. I made a comment like “I didn’t know you meant that kind of beard” and he laughed it off. To be honest, I was instantly turned off because I felt both deceived and less attracted. Fast forwarding through the date, we had a great time and really hit it off.

On our second date, I asked him about the beard and he told me he planned on cutting it around May of of 2023. I was thinking to myself “okay I won’t tell him I don’t like it because it will be gone in a few months. I can do this!” But May came and went and the beard was still there. I finally began to allude to not liking it. He told me he’d now cut it in December of 2023. December came and went and at that point, I started to be more open about the fact that I did not like it. Today, the beard is now approaching his belly button.

Now, my boyfriend has told me he likes the beard because it makes him more recognizable in his business, which gets him a lot of deals. He hasn’t admitted this but I also know he really likes the attention he gets from the beard. We can’t go an hour without someone commenting on it when we’re out. However, he takes the comments as compliments, and I see them as people commenting on a spectacle (like “wow, look at that guy with 3 heads!”).

I really hate it. My boyfriend is a great guy and so handsome, but it makes him look old and disheveled. Also, for some context we’re an interracial couple with a 13 year age gap. It is to the point where I refuse to introduce him to my family. I live out of my home state so I have been able to avoid it, but my best friend recently came in town and saw the beard in person and she was in utter shock. I know that if he has this beard, my dad will not like him and the age gap will be even more apparent to him. My dad had a very negative reaction to my sister’s now husband who is 10 years older but looks her age. Of course, my dad’s opinion of him should not sway how I feel, but I obviously want him to have a good first impression. AITA for wanting him to cut it and not wanting to introduce him to my family until he does so?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Desert Bus posted:

Beachcomber posted:

There's no reason that old dairy cows can't be eaten unless they're pumping them full of chemicals, which, like, they shouldn't.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I grew up around lots of small family farms.

They uh, also don't butcher cows to remove their milk. In case you didn't know that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

wheatpuppy posted:

They uh, also don't butcher cows to remove their milk. In case you didn't know that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Thanks, I thought it would be rude to post that when Beachcomber so clearly missed the joke, but I see now that it is okay.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What the gently caress? Why didn't anyone tell me about this when I first signed up here?!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wheatpuppy posted:

That's good, I always thought it was so wasteful when I had to cleave a gallon of milk in twain in order to get a cup from the middle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I'm going with this too.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

You know what goes great with milk? Donuts!

Just not that one.

AITA for refusing to give a donut to a kid at a party?

quote:

I can’t believe I am posting this but here we are. I have a mix group of friends and some are saying I was wrong so I decided to let Reddit decide. My husband and I were invited to a birthday party. We asked if we could bring anything and the host said not needed but we could if we wanted to. Since I don’t like showing up empty handed anywhere I thought it would be nice to purchase some boutique donuts from an artisanal donut shop near us. We got a bunch of donuts and one GF donut for my husband who can’t have gluten. Side note: no one at the party has any gluten issues we know these people fairly well.

We got to the party and set the donuts down. Immediately this kid and his mom decided to come on over because in her words “these are the best donuts in town! Wow! Thank you for bringing them!” I open up the boxes and immediately the kid throws his hands on the GF one. I kindly said “Oh sorry I am saving that one for my husband he can’t have gluten”. I picked the donut out and set it aside and proceed to tell him all the other wonderful flavours that I got! Cookies and cream, Nutella, it was donuts galore. The kid? Immediately starts crying because he wanted the one I took away and his mom proceeded to begin tearing at me and yelling at me for not just giving him the donut. “He is just a kid!” I was stunned and I immediately just left the situation, went outside with my husbands donut gave it to him. I was mortified. I thought she would calm down but NOO!

This lady proceeds to go outside and a make a scene about it. A big argument ensued about how I refused her kid a donut. It was comical at this point. I calmly stated my point again, that this donut was for my husband who is GF and I know no one there has an issue with gluten so her child could have one of the others.

This lady wouldn’t let it go so here is where I might be the AH. At this point I am sick of her entitlement so I told her just that. She is an entitled little brat and now I know where her kid gets it from. She starts crying, making a scene and leaves the party. The host and everyone there is just mortified and then tell me I should have just handed the kid the donut. My husband sticks up for me, and we decided to leave early.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My brother skipped his own wedding reception

quote:

My brother got married yesterday but him and his wife skipped their own reception. No one even knew they were going to do it except for one of their friends so it was a complete surprise and really embarrassing to be honest. At first no one knew. They decided to get married locally which was nice because I'm sure most of you would agree that having to travel somewhere else for a wedding is a pain.

This is what was supposed to happen: After the wedding my brother and his wife were supposed to be introduced to everyone in the reception hall. The guests would chat and drink for an hour before the food was served. During that time all the photos would be taken. After that hour was up and the photos were done the food would get served and the reception would start.

What actually happened: Their friend who was supposed to introduce them instead told everyone that my brother and his wife had left for their honeymoon and thanked everyone for attending and then the food started getting served right away. The photographer had been sent home, apparently my brother and his wife did their photos before the ceremony. And took some with the few people who did know they were skipping the reception. Some of their friends and his wife's dad and his wife. But no one else including anyone from my family.

Obviously we were embarrassed. My parents were angry and they talked to the friend because my brother and his wife weren't answering. Their honeymoon was supposed to be in a few months. Apparently they cancelled it two weeks ago and switched to a different honeymoon. They were already on their way to Bristol to the airport and had left their mobile phones with their friend, he had them when my parents talked to him.

Apparently the whole reason for this is that my other brother's girlfriend is pregnant and they were going to announce it and that they want to get married at the reception. Only my parents had known. I didn't even know. I don't know how my brother who was getting married found out. Someone (I don't know who) told my aunt and uncle about it and they started spreading it around to the other guests which upset my parents and my brother and his girlfriend. I know my brother and his wife don't want to be parents themselves but this seems extreme, over a pregnancy. Further I don't understand why they would skip something that they paid for like this.

What I want to get off my chest: we are embarrassed especially my parents and lots of people are upset especially my brother and his girlfriend. There was lots of drama for nothing. It's only been 1 day but the fallout is bigger. I don't understand why my brother and his wife would do all this. I honestly don't

That's all. That's what I wanted to say. Thank-you.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, that and the memories we have of people and the things they taught us are worth more than the genetics in my opinion. I couldn't care less about some of the DNA I'm carrying. By all accounts one pair of great grandparents I had were incredibly lovely people, and we have so little to do with that branch of the family that when I got married, my dad was happy there was now one less person carrying on our name. Besides, I'm not having any biological children anyways from what it looks like, so passing on knowledge and values is the only thing I can hope for anyways.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Hughlander posted:

What a beautiful buried lede.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hughlander posted:

quote:

That's all. That's what I wanted to say. Thank-you.

Pro move to make people feel awkward about closing the browser tab without commenting

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yeah, that and the memories we have of people and the things they taught us are worth more than the genetics in my opinion. I couldn't care less about some of the DNA I'm carrying. By all accounts one pair of great grandparents I had were incredibly lovely people, and we have so little to do with that branch of the family that when I got married, my dad was happy there was now one less person carrying on our name. Besides, I'm not having any biological children anyways from what it looks like, so passing on knowledge and values is the only thing I can hope for anyways.
Mmmmhm, that's how I feel. And someday people won't remember me, but they'll remember people who remembered me, or however long that chain goes. The little kind and good actions you can do still have an impact, even if you might never know it directly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It was really classless of you to ruin your own reception that we planned to ruin first

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It was really classless of you to ruin your own reception that we planned to ruin first
But consider how much everyone would remember them doing that. They've got to establish their legacy, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Atahualpa posted:

Spy/mail-order bride angles aside, did anyone else get the sense that this one is just an attempt at viral marketing for the site he mentions?

Heh, I wondered the same for the dude who used a dating bot to land an attractive interesting woman.