Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Part of what makes the quasar so good against bugs is the laser drone is absurdly good against them and probably needs a nerf. Quasar for the big stuff, slugger for the medium and and laser drone to clean up the chaff and you can handle just about anything very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you buddy load anyway? I grabbed a guy's spare backpack and reloaded it from ammo crates, and then when I got up to him I realized I had no idea how to start the buddy load animation.

While you have the correct ammo backpack on, they need the correct gun out. You stand behind their right-hand side (has to be the right-hand) and you should get prompted to assist them with loading, and will connect to them and automatically follow them as they move (if you move around on your own you're likely to un-attach yourself accidentally). When they shoot you reload them from your back pack automatically.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Infidelicious posted:

Real talk:

If you have time to charge the quasar before firing it, you have time to reload the RR.

If you have time to wait for the EAT pod to land you have time to reload the RR.

Having access to sustained AT fire that is immediately available when you need it is a niche that has value.

The Quasar has been a great *alternative* to Sir Carl.

The biggest downside for me and the Quasar is the charge up. There are many times I need to fire a heavy AT shot *loving now* and the boot time for Quasar can be fatal. Distance means safety for Quasar gunners. In close up engagements, having to dance while holding down the fire button to charge and shoot a single shot sucks to do. I mean, c'mon my sights are on target, loving shoot already!

Related to that is the Quasar's flinch, which feels more severe than the recoilless. I've killed myself plenty of times by accident by shooting the cover i was next while taking bot fire that the recoilless ignores.

Reload times with the recoilless was managed by tried-and-true shoot and displace tactics. Granted, the Quasar can do this too while it's not equipped, but the point is solo recoilless reloads are manageable.

And if you being buddy loaded (remember this is a team game), the recoilless rate of fire is superior to the Quasar.

Both heavies are effective, high-power, democracy dispensing platforms.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 8, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beat another helldive by the skin of our teeth lmao

We accidentally spawned next to a shrieker's nest, and someone went in for a suicide mission to clear it while we (failed) to stabilize. After a bit I decided to go rescue him and right as I got there, telling him I'll cover him, a dead shrieker blasted him from offscreen and launched him across the map. It was the hardest I've laughed in a while

Also we started panicking as we couldn't read the terminal instructions until we had the big brain idea to simply shoot out the lights

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 8, 2024

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Stalwart should be ground loot only like that break barrel shotgun.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

ArmyGroup303 posted:

And if you being buddy loaded (remember this is a team game), the recoilless rate of fire is superior to the Quasar.

It's significantly faster even if you're solo loading.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Apple Craft posted:

Stalwart should be ground loot only like that break barrel shotgun.

I'd love to see that more at higher levels if it could do more.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Make the stalwart and mmg still be a stratagem but replace your primary imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

this planet was so cool man
https://i.imgur.com/vgbS5p4.mp4

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Tom Tucker posted:

Real talk I'm a Quasar believer but I got into a reinforce / death spiral a game ago with a team that was ignoring the Stalker lair spawning 4x stalkers seemingly every minute and I would have killed for a quick calldown EAT that wasn't a weapon sitting halfway across the map where I was trying to close a bug hole. Whenever I take the Quaser I feel like a Cybertruck buyer. "Yeah I tried to fire but the Charger got there before it fired so I got knocked into a Bile Spewer. Immediately killed me. Then got reinforced across the map. Love the weapon, though."

Maybe use a grenade launcher? It's excellent at closing bug holes, doesn't need a backpack and kills a lot of bugs that aren't titans and chargers. You'll end up leaning on your primary more though unless you use a supply backpack with it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Cinematic as gently caress. Amazing.

Imagine that experience but with big numbers flashing on the screen Kill the Justice League style.

10,525! CRITICAL HIT!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Cinematic as gently caress. Amazing.

Imagine that experience but with big numbers flashing on the screen Kill the Justice League style.

10,525! CRITICAL HIT!

Games do that now days?

I don't need numbers, I know when to stop shooting me because it's no longer to kill me, probably in pieces landing all over.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

BitBasher posted:

Maybe use a grenade launcher? It's excellent at closing bug holes, doesn't need a backpack and kills a lot of bugs that aren't titans and chargers. You'll end up leaning on your primary more though unless you use a supply backpack with it.

Yeah I’ve done this a lot and it’s super fun but I don’t go anywhere on 7-9s anymore without something that can one-shot chargers and reliably kill a Titan. I tried to rely on a few orbitals or eagles or (shudder) teammates for it and always wind up dying.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Speaking of MGs, on PS5 whenever you dive/crouch/prone and you hold a machine gun it seems to switch your weapon. So if I was holding the MG and I go prone it always switches me over to my primary. I haven't used one since the last patch but did they ever address or fix this?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

a big tip for all the long-time bot players who are doing bugs now for the first time:

1) Always be in light armor against bugs
2) Do not clump up with your teammates. spread out all over the map.

It's virtually impossible to die against bugs when you are in light armor and not near your teammates, but being near your teammates makes it impossible to properly control the bugs' positioning and herd them, and makes bile spewers blast artillery all over the whole area you're in.

These bug missions have been kind of frustrating today with all the long-time bot players coming in and trying to use their bot tactics against the bugs :(

Also: The strongest thing you can do against bugs is start a breach in some out-of-the-way place and then just run away and do an objective while the breach is on cooldown. If you follow all of the advice in this post you will almost never even see chargers or titans below difficulty 8!

Baffling post. Bugs cannot use suppressing fire or launch missile barrages (yet :tinfoil:). They can't do anything to you if they die before they reach you. Deathballing is the strongest tactic against bugs, you don't need to herd or position them when you have four competent players laying down fire, because all of the bugs will die before they can do anything. The only thing that doesn't immediately die is BTs, and any lone BT can get nuked by stratagems and concentrated rocket fire. There needs to be multiple BT breaches in close succession to seriously threaten a group of four and they're far more at risk of friendly fire accidents and/or getting cocky than anything the bugs do.

Not clumping up and exploiting the drop cooldown while running away from any called drop are good anti-bot tactics (because bots have tanks, rocket barrages, and are slower), so I'm not sure why you're describing them as special bug-only tactics the bot players won't know. I'm actually curious what 'bot tactics' you think people are doing that isn't working against the bugs. The only thing I can think of is engaging enemies 100+ meters away because bugs can't threaten you from that far and all it would do is draw aggro and activate bile spewers from annoying distances.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah I’ve done this a lot and it’s super fun but I don’t go anywhere on 7-9s anymore without something that can one-shot chargers and reliably kill a Titan. I tried to rely on a few orbitals or eagles or (shudder) teammates for it and always wind up dying.

I've settled on always taking EATs with a second weapon, usually the Arc cannon, sometimes Quasar, sometimes GL. On bugs always Laser Dog too. Fourth slot goes to whatever I'm feeling which is often Orbital Rail or Eagle Airstrike.

Always seems to work well.

Strong Sauce posted:

Speaking of MGs, on PS5 whenever you dive/crouch/prone and you hold a machine gun it seems to switch your weapon. So if I was holding the MG and I go prone it always switches me over to my primary. I haven't used one since the last patch but did they ever address or fix this?

What? I'm on PS5 and the game has never done this. Have you remapped controls in some way? I've never heard of this before now and most of my friends are on PS5.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 8, 2024

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It is the distant future, the year 2184?

We are Helldivers.

The world is very different ever since Managed Democracy was established. There is no more unhappiness (or else). We no longer say 'Yes', instead we say 'Yes Sir' (or else, Sir). There is only once kind of dance: the Dive-Flop. And oh yes, the Cape-Twirl. Two kinds of dances.

Finally, democratic beings rule the world.

The robots are dead.
The robots are dead.
We used perfidious tactics.
And we slaughtered their asses.

The robots are dead.
(That's right they are dead!)
The robots are dead.
(They look like they're dead...)

It had to be done.
(SEAF'll confirm that they're dead.)
So that we could kill bugs.
Yes Sir, I dropped on one and it died.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

BitBasher posted:

\
What? I'm on PS5 and the game has never done this. Have you remapped controls in some way? I've never heard of this before now and most of my friends are on PS5.

just tried. took the HMG and went prone. switched me to my primary. haven't changed any controls afaik

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

just tried. took the HMG and went prone. switched me to my primary. haven't changed any controls afaik

Maybe try resetting controls to default? I go prone all the time and it's never changed me weapons at all. Maybe accidentally hitting a second button with your thumb when double tapping the prone button?

I've never heard anyone on Reddit or here mention it before, either.

EDIT: I just checked, they don't even share a button in any way on the default keybindings. Crouch and dive are on single or double tap circle and change weapons is either tapping or holding Triangle.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 8, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Maybe try resetting controls to default? I go prone all the time and it's never changed me weapons at all. Maybe accidentally hitting a second button with your thumb when double tapping the prone button?

I've never heard anyone on Reddit or here mention it before, either.

EDIT: I just checked, they don't even share a button in any way on the default keybindings. Crouch and dive are on single or double tap circle and change weapons is either tapping or holding Triangle.

yo what the hell. my primary weapon was binded to circle. geez i just thought it was some weird quirk :|

thanks!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

yo what the hell. my primary weapon was binded to circle. geez i just thought it was some weird quirk :|

thanks!

It happens! Glad it's fixed! That would be really annoying

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Darox posted:

Baffling post. Bugs cannot use suppressing fire or launch missile barrages (yet :tinfoil:). They can't do anything to you if they die before they reach you. Deathballing is the strongest tactic against bugs, you don't need to herd or position them when you have four competent players laying down fire, because all of the bugs will die before they can do anything. The only thing that doesn't immediately die is BTs, and any lone BT can get nuked by stratagems and concentrated rocket fire. There needs to be multiple BT breaches in close succession to seriously threaten a group of four and they're far more at risk of friendly fire accidents and/or getting cocky than anything the bugs do.

Not clumping up and exploiting the drop cooldown while running away from any called drop are good anti-bot tactics (because bots have tanks, rocket barrages, and are slower), so I'm not sure why you're describing them as special bug-only tactics the bot players won't know. I'm actually curious what 'bot tactics' you think people are doing that isn't working against the bugs. The only thing I can think of is engaging enemies 100+ meters away because bugs can't threaten you from that far and all it would do is draw aggro and activate bile spewers from annoying distances.

higher lvl bugs can have a lot of bile spewers launching indirect fire, so they do have some forms of artillery

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Vague tactics talk.

This is a weird one because I don't really know how to word it. I feel like I use very different tactics on bots v bugs but outside of 'use cover' for bots I feel like describing them sounds pretty similar.

Sticking together and forming a firing line against bugs is pretty effective but so is spreading out and coming from all angles, it just kinda depends. Getting the bugs to charge into four helldivers will get them chunked up pretty quickly and you kinda want to be together so that chargers and bts are all facing the group so you can more effectively rocket them in the face. But having the bugs surrounded makes hunters and hive guards easier to deal with because you get around their defenses. With bots I feel like you always want to get multiple angles on them because the bots can have machine gun devastators that can lay down impressive suppressive fire, and you want to get behind tanks and hulks, and most of them stand around like idiots if they're taking fire from all sides. But when patrols start marching at you having more than one person take them head on usually takes them out pretty quickly, a group of nothing but raiders or even a medium sized group with a hulk and some devastators will fall real quick to a pack of helldivers all behind cover and facing them head on.

Mostly I feel like tactics basically boil down to use cover for bots and never stop moving for bugs. And only bots have stuff you really want to rush asap like mortar and gunships bases, though quick striking POI or patrol bugs also goes a long way towards keeping things mobile and under control.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I got matched on bug missions with the most dogshit partners who killed me twice in a row with bombing runs right when I redeployed and I left 19 samples way back away from where they ultimately fought three bugholes and ran out of reinforcements :mad:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Reddit already gets pissed off to the point of teamkilling when people aren't playing on tHe mOsT cRiTICaL pLaNeT. Can you imagine what they'd be like if some people weren't even contributing to the war lol

In 120 hours of playing I've been deliberately team killed exactly once and it had nothing to do with any strange fantasies people here have about reddit meta enforcers and cape despisers. I'm often left wondering if I'm playing a different game from reading posts here.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the biggest issue with helldivers 2 atm is that there isn't an eagle laser strike or a laser turret so i have no fourth strategem to take alongside the scythe, dagger, laser canon, rover dog and orbital laser. feels like a serious oversight imo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Janissary Hop posted:

In 120 hours of playing I've been deliberately team killed exactly once and it had nothing to do with any strange fantasies people here have about reddit meta enforcers and cape despisers. I'm often left wondering if I'm playing a different game from reading posts here.
You're not, people here just want to believe in the fantasy of the reddit shitters that is, despite reddit being a bad website, not really true.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

turn off the TV posted:

the biggest issue with helldivers 2 atm is that there isn't an eagle laser strike or a laser turret so i have no fourth strategem to take alongside the scythe, dagger, laser canon, rover dog and orbital laser. feels like a serious oversight imo

The first game had a laser shotgun and it was glorious

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Darox posted:

If your team can't manage the alarm(s), you run to the next objective. You can snipe whatever bile titan or hunters make their way over. If the alarm spawns on objectives, you better hope you can wipe the breach asap.

https://i.imgur.com/NPK97h0.mp4

vvvvvv HELL YES

CelticPredator posted:

got the only way to be sure achievement
https://i.imgur.com/NaTyBUA.mp4

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 8, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

there is no better game imo
https://i.imgur.com/zOkIsd9.mp4

audio

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

got the only way to be sure achievement
https://i.imgur.com/NaTyBUA.mp4

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I am once again preaching the power of the autocannon sentry against bugs. I took down a breach with two titans in it from ~30m away by myself thanks to the quasar and sentry, just blasting them as they crawled out of the ground. It kills titans, it kills chargers, it kills spewers, it fucks everything.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

higher lvl bugs can have a lot of bile spewers launching indirect fire, so they do have some forms of artillery
Yeah but it's super inaccurate and can't really threaten you unless you aggro bile spewers from miles away. Sometimes it will randomly knock you over (or kill you if you're really unlucky) but most of the time you can basically ignore it. Bile spewers are much more dangerous because of their regular spew being highly damaging and by being the only bug that doesn't fit into the two major bug groups: Light bugs aka 'just shoot with your primary' and heavy bugs aka 'rocket to the face' which means they can be annoying to take down in bulk for regular loadouts.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Janissary Hop posted:

I had two moments where I was purposefully and repeatedly killed by a teammate:
- I showed up late in a mission with orange armor on (+2 grenade medium). Since I looked the same as the fireteam leader, a duo confused me with him and shot me because I went to extraction at the behest of the group leader. Turns out that the other guy in my outfit had been haphazard with airstrikes, and the duo felt that the extract was premature and wanted to cancel it. Instead of telling anyone using voice they just shot me. Didn't really stop the extract, though. The duo left after that mission after lecturing me about why it was totally cool to shoot me a bunch. Original guy, foibles regarding airstrikes notwithstanding, ended up being a decent enough partner through a the rest of the ops.
- A fresh faced player started his interaction with the entirety of our party by saying "im gonna say the gamer words." When that failed to get a rise out of anyone in the party, he started doing the CS:S special of pecking the back of his teammates with small arms fire to do small damage but not kill them outright. I pointed this out, and his friend who had been saddled with this human burden just shrugged and said "he's just kinda like that." His response was to full-on start screaming over voice. Muted him, shot him to put him in timeout, and went to another part of the map to do objectives. Every mission ended up having a secondary objective to dodge the shitter trying to randomly frag me, destroy my equipment, or steal my poo poo. Ended up crashing most of the way through the next mission.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah autocannon sentry is good. but if its too close they'll go after it.

also quasar not as fun to hit a charger with because if you miss a soft area you're kinda boned for a little bit. the autocannon gun at least gets more chances to hit something non-armored.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

one of the common secondary objectives is destroying rebel broadcasts telling other humans the truth about the bugs

The truth about the bugs is that they hate freedom and democracy and need shooting to death (for thier own good.)

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 8, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
buddy loading really needs to work no matter who is wearing the backpack

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Tom Tucker posted:

I never leave home without the EAT pod for bugs. Being able to delete 2 - 3 chargers on demand or highly damage a BT even when you're maining a different support weapon is the bee's knees

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Personal shield generator: have they removed the slowdown protection from bile spitters? And did it ever offer fire damage protection?

Just ran an all-fire build on Hellmire (Breaker Incendiary, Flamethrower, Incendiary Grenades) where I wasn't the host and, while it looked and felt amazing, I couldn't even kill trash bugs with the DoT - instead, they ran into my shield whilst on fire and killed me with it! :negative:

I was also getting slowed down a lot which was unexpected, unless something has changed.

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 8, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

piano chimp posted:

Personal shield generator: have they removed the slowdown protection from bile spitters? And did it ever offer fire damage protection?

Just ran an all-fire build on Hellmire (Breaker Incendiary, Flamethrower, Incendiary Grenades) where I wasn't the host and, while it looked and felt amazing, I couldn't even kill trash bugs with the DoT - instead, they ran into my shield whilst on fire and killed me with it! :negative:

I was also getting slowed down a lot which was unexpected, unless something has changed.

Shields (both personal and deployable) don't do anything to protect you from things within the shield. This is harder to achieve with the personal shield because of its size, but melee attacks can hit you if you run into them and spitters can slow you down if you stand still in the gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

As a former battlefield bad company 2 carl gustav enthusiast, I heartily endorse usage of the recoilless rifle against any and all targets regardless of suitability or target hardness. However popping chargers and titans will never not be funny.

Agreed on the "ammo backpack should let anyone reload" idea. People wont pick it up to help unless youre really good friends with good teamwork as its their back spot.