Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah but this time no one will expect it!

Again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

I liked AFO better when his aesthetic was "Lex Luthor wearing Darth Vader's mask"

He was significantly more appealing when he was in prison and just gleefully talking trash to All Might the whole time.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is dumb as poo poo but im committed to it now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Everything involving AfO up through the showdown with All Might at Kamino was fantastic and everything involving AfO since then has sucked increasingly worse.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 8, 2024

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

AFO reveals he’s been sending Deku’s dad on infinite business trips to keep him out of his life.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

He did that like 2-3 times already. :v:

Picture a business-zombie refusing to die. Forever.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AfO using a quirk to make people mutants to invent racism

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
AfO personally made Uraraka's parents poor.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
AfO turns out to be behind the government assassination program Nagant and Hawks were in

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

drat, are all of you guys Shimura Tenko?

Because it seems like AfO is living rent-free in your heads!!! :classiclol: :roflolmao: :laugh:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If AFO had died or stayed in prison, I think I'd be okay with a more metaphorical idea of AFO's spirit controlling Shigaraki, or even a quirk vestige ghost of him inside of Shigaraki influencing him in a sort of Palpetine-to-Darth-Vader way. There's something to the idea of contrasting his and All Might's ideas of successors and teaching, where All Might is willing to let go and allow Deku to become his own person whereas AFO needs his successor to be a continuation of his own legacy. That theme just feels completely fumbled by having AFO himself appear personally and physically to take over as the main villain rather than it being more implied.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yes, but what if Kotaro had another daughter instead? How would the series shake out then?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Positive thoughts: the cover page art is super dope. Sugar man also looks pretty badass here for maybe the first time.

Some other thoughts: I genuinely wonder if Shigaraki has half of a copied Overhaul quirk because Horikoshi realized too late that Overhaul’s quirk is literally just a better version of Shigaraki’s. It really doesn’t make sense that AfO would be aware of such an awesome quirk and not decide to also mentor Overhaul, in fact allowing him to fall under sway of a rival crime guy.

Overhaul's quirk is insanely busted in general. Ridiculously overpowered quirk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rhonne posted:

AfO personally made Uraraka's parents poor.
that would imply uraraka's parents being poor had any impact on the story

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It literally did? It's why she became a hero instead of just going into construction.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dolash posted:

If AFO had died or stayed in prison, I think I'd be okay with a more metaphorical idea of AFO's spirit controlling Shigaraki, or even a quirk vestige ghost of him inside of Shigaraki influencing him in a sort of Palpetine-to-Darth-Vader way. There's something to the idea of contrasting his and All Might's ideas of successors and teaching, where All Might is willing to let go and allow Deku to become his own person whereas AFO needs his successor to be a continuation of his own legacy. That theme just feels completely fumbled by having AFO himself appear personally and physically to take over as the main villain rather than it being more implied.

It's more ruined by AFO refusing to stay dead. If AFO made some last-ditch Hail Mary to steal Shiggy's body, I wouldn't mind that. But this is AFO returning for the, what, fifth time?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Scholtz posted:

It literally did? It's why she became a hero instead of just going into construction.

If they weren't poor and she just wanted to do it cause it's a job literally nothing changes.

What little character arc she has is centered entirely around her interest in Deku and how that connects her to Toga. Her family being poor is a plot point that goes nowhere.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 8, 2024

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Scholtz posted:

This is implying Uraraka had an impact on the story

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If you want to imply that AFO secretly controls the government and instituted laws that force people to not use their quirks in public or train them unless in special super hero schools...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
can you really say with confidence that AFO didn't do that?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So...what are the chances the resurrected AFO also has the rewind quirk?

Are current events a blessing in disguise as yet another opportunity for Bakugo to punch the evil baby?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scholtz posted:

and if uraraka isnt in the manga that will affect the plot via

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Uraraka saved Toga via an almost Bechdel test passing conversation, which is honestly pretty impressive for this comic.

Meanwhile Momo is in the hole.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Scholtz posted:

No, Uraraka could have made enough money for her parents by going into construction and getting a quirk license for it.

She went into heroism because she wanted to be a hero and her parents encouraged her even though it would take longer for her to make money to support them.

She justifies this with the wanting to make money thing and saying that makes her less heroic than her friends. But if she wanted money alone there are other less dangerous options that still will benefit from her quirk

Admittedly I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure this is how that sequence fully shakes out.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

syntaxfunction posted:

Uraraka saved Toga via an almost Bechdel test passing conversation, which is honestly pretty impressive for this comic.

Meanwhile Momo is in the hole.

I still remember people citing that as one of the most emotionally powerful moments in the series and maybe most of shonen.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

I still remember people citing that as one of the most emotionally powerful moments in the series and maybe most of shonen.

Maybe this series just don't have many emotionally powerful moments?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So...what are the chances the resurrected AFO also has the rewind quirk?

Are current events a blessing in disguise as yet another opportunity for Bakugo to punch the evil baby?

The vestige of AFO in Tomura was placed there before AFO (using a duplicate version of AFO) injected himself with the bullet to rewind himself. So, unless there was offscreen bullshit, Ghost For One shouldn't have Rewind.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

The vestige of AFO in Tomura was placed there before AFO (using a duplicate version of AFO) injected himself with the bullet to rewind himself. So, unless there was offscreen bullshit, Ghost For One shouldn't have Rewind.

But AFO's MO is off screen bullshit.

Bakugo stays winning and gets one more opportunity to punch the evil baby!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

doomrider7 posted:

Anime fans are dumb.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe this series just don't have many emotionally powerful moments?

I'd say there were several. Although probably the most emotional moment with Uraraka for me was after she lost to Bakugo and was trying to act all happy and called her parents to apologize.

I guess I'd say overall the most emotional moments though are All Might, Deku or Todoroki Family-related but there are plenty of those.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 9, 2024

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
We'll always have United States of Smash

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

We'll always have United States of Smash

I mean, that is probably the single part of MHA I revisited most. The entire All Might vs. All for One fight at Kamino Ward is perfection. But I think MHA has a ton of beloved moments, ranging all the way from All Might telling Izuku he can be a hero to Dabi's Dance.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Endorph posted:

and if uraraka isnt in the manga that will affect the plot via

Yes, by arbitrarily narrowing the scope of what you consider to be the plot, you can cut any element of a story. You're so good at this.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the themes of the story are at the same time too strong and too weak.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hawks was filler and ruined the pacing,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemillion standing up to Overdrive without powers is the best moment in the manga

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Mirio/Lemillion in general was one of the best parts of the manga. Just a super positive helpful guy with one of the most out there applications of intangibility that also sold him being a super hard worker that tried harder than everyone around him to get too tier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

it was a decent moment but it was v. frustrating that toga croaked even though seeing her in the epilogue trying to adjust to some sort of new life would have been very satisfying, while two male villains get to linger around approximately 65 chapters longer than they should have

Scholtz posted:

Yes, by arbitrarily narrowing the scope of what you consider to be the plot, you can cut any element of a story. You're so good at this.
chill dude lol, its just a joke about afo's scheme not really being affected one way or the other by her existing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is Toga dead for sure? Maybe I’m just used to Dabi refusing to die despite being burnt to a crisp several times.