Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It came up earlier, but it's super easy to make a namelist. A namelist is just two text files (a definition file and then the english localization file), which you can copy from any namelist mod and edit in a text editor.

An in-game editor would be cool, too, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ConfusedUs posted:

Chameleot is right there!
gently caress

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

megane posted:

It came up earlier, but it's super easy to make a namelist. A namelist is just two text files (a definition file and then the english localization file), which you can copy from any namelist mod and edit in a text editor.

Yeah. I've done a couple of these.

But usually what happens is that I'm in-game, making an empire. I give them a backstory, select the appropriate civics and government, choose the right room and clothing, and then I'm stuck with the same list of mostly-nonsense names. Leaving the game to make a namelist and then coming back in completely breaks the flow.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I've made a bunch of namelists too but yeah I'd much prefer an import/direct edit option. Especially since namelist mods disable achievements.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

ConfusedUs posted:

But usually what happens is that I'm in-game, making an empire. I give them a backstory, select the appropriate civics and government, choose the right room and clothing, and then I'm stuck with the same list of mostly-nonsense names. Leaving the game to make a namelist and then coming back in completely breaks the flow.

If in doubt, the SPQR namelist is always appropriate.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I have three "abstract" name-lists I tend to go to, and Space Parsi (because Persian looks like space alien language to me, and I know absolutely nothing about it, so there's no pesky knowledge that could ruin my immersion).

-Robots get a abstract name-list that's basically just numbers, so you get people called "Zero of One" etc.

-Organics either get fluffy feelings ("Kind Love, general of the Brutaliens") or colors (this is my favorite, it gets you names like "Mellow Leander" or "Flowing Orange")

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I made an edgy fantasy namelist which worked great for my toxic knights. I was getting messages about the adventures people like Knight Aegon Heartsplitter were going on.

I have a lovely robot namelist I use for a determined exterminator empire I add them to all my games. I had Admiral "Glitchy Sentient Toilet" leading a massive fleet against me during this last game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

megane posted:

I just want something that works with vanilla multiplayer so I can catch my friends off-guard.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Dyson swarm is going to be the only way to get to a full Dyson sphere.
I'm guessing that means the current first step of a Dyson sphere construction, the framework, is going to be removed entirely.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

At least one of the devs played Dyson Sphere Program and really liked it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

Anything that names fleets 1, 2, etc is an automatic no because of how bad the fleet outliner is.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

binge crotching posted:

Anything that names fleets 1, 2, etc is an automatic no because of how bad the fleet outliner is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

binge crotching posted:

:argh:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 6, 2024

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Fleets number 1,2, and 4.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It's annoying, but not a dealbreaker. Just means I have to occasionally rename some fleets to unfuck it.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I got to the end of my crisis run and it crashed when I tried to blow up the universe. Now it's crashing after 10—20 minutes of play.

I think my terravores ascended out of the game into my computer and now they're devouring it too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FurtherReading posted:

I got to the end of my crisis run and it crashed when I tried to blow up the universe. Now it's crashing after 10—20 minutes of play.

I think my terravores ascended out of the game into my computer and now they're devouring it too.

You should be proud. Terrified, but proud. I think this is Stellaris' equivalent of the Undertale Genocide ending.

Thematically, still kinda weird that there's only one kinda Crisis ending, someone put it that the default Become the Crisis ending is a very suiting mad scientist/doomsday device kind of thing but seems a bit unfitting for most takes on Devouring Swarms and such. I suppose eating suns is a fitting escalation, but still.

Would be a lot of fun if there were multiple options for Crisis Ascension paths!

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You should be proud. Terrified, but proud. I think this is Stellaris' equivalent of the Undertale Genocide ending.

Thematically, still kinda weird that there's only one kinda Crisis ending, someone put it that the default Become the Crisis ending is a very suiting mad scientist/doomsday device kind of thing but seems a bit unfitting for most takes on Devouring Swarms and such. I suppose eating suns is a fitting escalation, but still.

Would be a lot of fun if there were multiple options for Crisis Ascension paths!

You get unique text that makes it fitting imo - the lore for hiveminds is that you're absorbing the shroud into your collective. Machines also get their own explanation of what they're trying to do but I can't recall what exactly it is.

The new dlc is also adding a new player crisis though! So far all they've said is it is focused on technological ascendancy at any cost. I think we get more detail in the next dev diary.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just ate too much of a determined exterminator and crashed my economy.

It never occurred to me before that I could turn off all non-worker jobs apart from a single roboticist on low hab planets and just have one grumpy guy running an entire robot mining colony.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm trying that Lathland build with the unity rush, Jesus Megacorp/trade federation build and it's kinda fun..but fiddly at the start to stop your fed members ruining expansion plans.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Xerophyte posted:

quotin dis

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Long time ago, for my first Syncretic Evolution run I think, I got a portrait mod which added dogs and made them the dominant species of Earth, with the SPQR name list, and then made humans the subservient laborer species and gave them the name list which came with the dogs.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Playing my first game since the tech change.

This feels awful.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:lol: I have a current run I want to finish before the next DLC drops, and about 75 years in, my first thought was "poo poo, I'm already bulldozing the tech tree again, they didn't nerf enough"

I only now slowly start dedicating new planets to be research planets, I just got lucky finding tons of research depots

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I just invaded a pre-ftl species and added them to my empire. Unfortunately, it turns out they are necroids. How do you grow their pops if you are not a necroid? Is there a way I can change their species type using console commands or save game editing?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm sure you can, though I don't remember how off the top of my head. But why do you need to grow more of them?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Staltran posted:

I'm sure you can, though I don't remember how off the top of my head. But why do you need to grow more of them?

Its fairly early in the game (2220) and they have a different planet preference than my primary species. I was hoping to use them to colonize more plants in my systems.

edit: Actually looking at them in the planet tab, it seems they have the same base growth as my primary species. Maybe I don't need to change anything about them.

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 7, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it's only the Necrophage species trait that hammers your growth rates, Necroids (ie. using that portrait palette) are just normal pops.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shadowlyger posted:

Playing my first game since the tech change.

This feels awful.

I haven't played in years, what's the tech change?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The "Determined Exterminators start with this purge type unlocked" note on the new paperclip maximizers civic sounds horrifying/hilarious.

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, for the Nth time, I'd kill for an in-game namelist editor. For the love of god let me create half a dozen shitpost-esque namelists for planets, ships, and individuals.

Toxic British lizardfolk need names like Sir Geckalot, Marrigator, and Queen Croclizabeth. They should live on Chameleot and fly around in the HLS Sunny Rock.

I still find it really weird that they haven't added like 4x the namelists and portraits by now. It wouldn't take a lot of work and it would make the entire userbase happy.

FurtherReading posted:

I've made a bunch of namelists too but yeah I'd much prefer an import/direct edit option. Especially since namelist mods disable achievements.

:yeah:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

FurtherReading posted:

Do they?

I thought those and UI mods are fine checksum wise.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 8, 2024

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Clarste posted:

I haven't played in years, what's the tech change?

Tech progression is slower so instead of getting endgame repeatable tech before the mid game crisis you instead get it around the endgame, on the default game length.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
They also reduced a few other things, like the amount of sources of ship cost and upkeep reduction. Plus a lot of things that give bonus science output also more increase the upkeep of researcher jobs.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ShadowHawk posted:

Tech progression is slower so instead of getting endgame repeatable tech before the mid game crisis you instead get it around the endgame, on the default game length.

This is a good change, by the way.

Tech choices being meaningful is great and science rush was/probably still is one of the strongest strategies. I'm glad to see it nerfed even though I usually tech rush myself.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I usually get bored of the game long before crises exist, so this is probably a negative for me.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 8, 2024

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Clarste posted:

I usually get bored of the game long before crises exist, so this is probably a negative for me.

I do too, but it wasn't because of the tech tree.

Hell, being into repeatables makes it *more* boring for me, because none of the choices feel meaningful to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, pretty sure the problem was that power creep had gotten to the point of disrupting the intended pace of tech development, where you should be getting the filler techs around endgame, and the research nerfs are just putting things back to their intended design.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Do they?

I thought those and UI mods are fine checksum wise.

UI mods typically are, but namelists go in a subfolder of /common, so they affect the checksum and block achievements despite being cosmetic.

(this could probably be easily changed if it was seen as a problem but IDK if there's been a lot of outcry about it and even if there was I'm sure it's at the literal bottom of the priority list).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played Stellaris since release and I have almost 600 hours in it.

I don't have a single achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They are changing some of their other games to allow achievements while modded, so it probably won't be too many more patches before Stellaris does as well.