Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

Stay on the highway

goddamn what a dumb snipe.

___

Gonna post some content instead. Some more thoughts on Victoria 3:

The agitator system seems rather useless from a player perspective. It really feels like you should be able to recruit an agitator to have them advance sentiment in favor of specific parties or laws that you want. Yes, random agitators showing up to stir up support for their own pet causes can throw a spanner into the works as a form of emergent gameplay, but there's nothing to tug on from the other direction where you as the player get to weaponize this.

___

The company system feels really vestigial. It's just a progress that fills up and gives you a bonus when it does. When I think of companies in this era, I think of the Royal Dutch Petroleum Company, or United Fruit, or Krupp and the beginnings of the military-industrial complex. If companies become large and powerful, they should have an influence on the country's political direction!

___

Despite all the posting about reverse-colonialism and state capitalism, I actually do like the economic system. It's not as intuitive as I would have liked, but once I did get it, there's a lot to grab onto. Beginning from logs and fabric to supply your Construction Sectors with what they need at the very first level of construction method, and then expanding outwards to make sure you're producing all of the necessary goods to feed into the later building types feels a lot like playing Workers & Resources at a very high level - extracting the raw materials, processing them, and then using that as a base to extract even more advanced inputs for even more advanced goods. It can get a bit cookie-clicker-ish, but I like cookie clicker, especially one with a lot of trappings and veneer to make you forget that it is one.

___

Having said all that, I do feel like the political dimension of the game can feel a bit too straightforward.

When Victoria 3 released, I fired up a game of Victoria 2, as a sort of vicarious parallel ride-along to the hype. In that game, playing as Brazil, there had to be a liberal-lead revolution to overthrow the autocracy, and then some years later a communist revolution. Now, the civil wars instigated by these revolutions did not have to be fought: I simply had my armies abandon the capital and then the rebels capture it because I wanted them to succeed at their goals, but the civil wars did have to happen (and later revolts by fascists and anarcho-liberals were brutally crushed by the communist regime).

I bring this up because I completely managed to avoid fighting any civil wars in this Philippine campaign in Victoria 3. I came close, but I managed to avoid it with the tools that the game gave me, to the extent that I was able to reform an autocratic governorate into a liberal democracy, and then a Soviet republic, without a single shot being fired. While I could have taken choices in the event pop-ups to trigger a civil war, I really feel like this is the sort of radical change that I shouldn't even be able to do peacefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

The agitator system seems rather useless from a player perspective. It really feels like you should be able to recruit an agitator to have them advance sentiment in favor of specific parties or laws that you want. Yes, random agitators showing up to stir up support for their own pet causes can throw a spanner into the works as a form of emergent gameplay, but there's nothing to tug on from the other direction where you as the player get to weaponize this.

You can, it's hidden in one of the tabs of the government UI. The thing is that the pool's anyone that has spawned elsewhere and been exiled, who's additionally an appropriate ethnicity (and religion if one's established) for your government.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah so its still worthless

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

You might as well have a "British Boarding Schools" focus, if we're accepting the premise that ritualized homoerotic abuse makes you 50% better at fighting.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

but do you LIKE like the spartans

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sparta is definitely a top contender for ancient societies with vastly overblown reputations

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Endman posted:

Sparta is definitely a top contender for ancient societies with vastly overblown reputations

For real. I read "On Sparta" and I remember being blown away by how inept they were, militarily, politically, you name it -- dumbasses.

Any here play Rust on PC? Not looking to go crazy, casual rust.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

did the Spartans keep doing their tourist trap larping stuff into late antiquity or did the usual cultural/societal transformations wipe that out

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

what lovely mod is this lol

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

did the Spartans keep doing their tourist trap larping stuff into late antiquity or did the usual cultural/societal transformations wipe that out

they kept doing the LARP until at least the 200s AD, partly because the Romans deliberately encouraged and supported it so wealthy tourists could come gawk at them.

they were still governed under the old system of government, with kings, ephors, etc. until well into late antiquity, although they didn’t really do anything notable

around AD 400 the city was sacked by Goths and that was pretty much the end of it, although a small village continued to exist on the site

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Buck Wildman posted:

but do you LIKE like the spartans

"No one likes the Spartans. Even the people that worship them don't like them. From what I've seen of them they don't even like each other."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is hex of steel any good

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mister Bates posted:

around AD 400 the city was sacked by Goths and that was pretty much the end of it, although a small village continued to exist on the site

The wife of someone I know is from one of the "used to be Sparta" villages. She's 6 feet tall and blonde, so I don't think she's got a lot in common with ancient Spartans outside of her temper. :v:

The history of that whole area is weird even afterwards. It was the site of a bunch of Slavic migrations, and after a bunch of wars and revolts (generally against imperial administration, rather than something targeting local Greeks), the Byzantines ended up deporting enormous numbers of Slavs to Asia Minor, bringing in settlers from as far as Armenia to replace them.

my dad has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Apr 6, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
seems like sparta was the us military of its time; big reputation, good at fighting people who can't really fight back, bad at fighting people who can

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The entire system was designed to produce people who could suppress the helots, it was not a good military system, per se.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
sparta is just old israel, they got the over inflated sense of military dominance, the actual focus of the army on subjugating a population that their economy relies on, and support from right wingers who don't really understand history.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

sparta is just old israel, they got the over inflated sense of military dominance, the actual focus of the army on subjugating a population that their economy relies on, and support from right wingers who don't really understand history.

Also their biggest victory was the result of being heavily subsided by a bigger empire to do their dirty work.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Someone on a discord encountered one of the dominions clown mod's heroes for the first time, and posted the screenshot of his appearance:

Remains one of my favorite bits of writing in anything dominions related.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the clown factionn is incredible I agree

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Mister Bates posted:

they kept doing the LARP until at least the 200s AD, partly because the Romans deliberately encouraged and supported it so wealthy tourists could come gawk at them.

they were still governed under the old system of government, with kings, ephors, etc. until well into late antiquity, although they didn’t really do anything notable

Goths rule

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

1 air magic, 1 water magic, 2 astral magic, and 3 sacred magic?

lmao

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And 3 randoms.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
kirkostaculis is a legit threat you will absolutely hate those ancient clowns if you have to fight them

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i already learned that from playing space station 13

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

my dad posted:

Someone on a discord encountered one of the dominions clown mod's heroes for the first time, and posted the screenshot of his appearance:

Remains one of my favorite bits of writing in anything dominions related.

activate windows

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I have been playing a bit of the Meiou and Taxes mod. Send help;

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

Do you have all of the EUIV DLC?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
All the relevant ones. Later ones were primarily flavorpacks that won't work with the mod. I got a handle on centralizing the state and the culture conversion mechanics are really cool.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

What do you say, thread? Do we confront NATO head-on now, while we're certain of superior numbers and artillery support, or risk a major deviation from the plan and rush to Bamberg via the southern route?

Punch 'em in the dick! T-80 tidal wave, and smash them with rockets and shells!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Megamissen posted:

activate windows

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It says the only winning move is not to play, right?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the only winning move is to play as the pavn

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

I'm trying to learn unmodded EU4 myself. I'm about 40 years into a run as Portugal, having taken Tangiers from Morocco and now starting on the colonization of the Caribbean - Martinique has been developed into a full-fledged colony, and I've just landed conquistadores on Jamaica.

I sort of regret that it took me this long to finally get it to click, but I'm enjoying the ride.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

In Meiou and Taxes, Portugal is incentivized to go east, rather than west. You'll do better securing the India trade, coast of West Africa and Indian Ocean/Red Sea, than trying to compete with the Spanish for the Americas, outside of some islands if you can get them, and Brazil.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's looking like EUV is going to pull a lot of inspiration from MEIOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Mantis42 posted:

It's looking like EUV is going to pull a lot of inspiration from MEIOU

I'm impressed so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
let's go POPs love da POPs

EDIT: I got hit by the Treaty of Tordesillas! How dare!!!

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 13:15 on Apr 8, 2024