Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Going to be in the Syracuse NY area and uh, cloud cover projections are looking bleak... Any truth to the notion that it's better by the lake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Anybody reading this watching it in Arkansas..?

I am looking at a Greers Lake Ferry, but of course don't have a reservation to stay overnight. Thinking of the getting there at 9:00 with a canoe and getting on the lake and to an island.

Can't find any website info from them about them that they're closed or stopping people in anyway. My friend says it's usually not too busy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Forecast in Mazatlan is just borderline enough to still consider driving inland. But it’s all thin high clouds here and it is not clear to me that the Durango area will be significantly better in this regard. The models show it being pretty similar and the current satellite images do as well.

Spending a total of 8+ hours in a compact rental car doesn’t sound appealing to me and it’s really not clear whether that will buy us any better conditions.

Decision paralysis is real

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I'm staying in Mazatlan, come what may. I'm here with 10 people and trying to organize them to do anything requires extreme patience.

My hope is that there's a small break in the clouds tomorrow but even with the thin clouds covering it, it should still be good? I hope...

Sounds like it'll be partially cloudy tomorrow during totality according to this forecast:
https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/mx/mazatl%E1n/date/2024-04-08

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Same here. My hotel has south facing walkways and terraces, I scoped them out and I think it's a great spot that keeps all my gear safe from crowds.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna drive to southern IL and hope to see some eclipse

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Back home in southeast Missouri and checking out some rad thunderstorms today. Feels right :cheerdoge:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

The drive down from Chicago was chill, just got in.

I am not looking forward to the one lanes on return. Thinking of just taking State highways back instead of 57

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For once in my life I’m happy to be in Indiana, I’m perfectly in totality and clouds are looking nonexistent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Inshallah the Canadian model has the right of it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Made it to Herrin. Evaluating if maybe I'll end up being two counties too far south.

root of all eval posted:

The drive down from Chicago was chill, just got in.

I am not looking forward to the one lanes on return. Thinking of just taking State highways back instead of 57

I will be heading back to Minneapolis, any tips on routes? I'm thinking move perpendicular as much as I can at first just to maximize getting away. I'd be pretty happy if I could get to Peoria before sunset.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
If it's cloudy and the only thing I get from this trip is spending a week soaking in the sun on a beachside resort in Mazatlan I don't think I'll lament it too much.

Also I'm asking my partner to marry me during the eclipse so that's fun too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

That rules, hope you have clear skies and they say yes!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Are you going to say it's a total eclipse of your heart?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

Made it to Herrin. Evaluating if maybe I'll end up being two counties too far south.

What has you spooked?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

devmd01 posted:

For once in my life I’m happy to be in Indiana, I’m perfectly in totality and clouds are looking nonexistent.

With the Ohio forecast looking a bit rocky I may be taking the longer drive to the Portland area. Hoping Findlay is wide open skies in the morning and traffic is clear as that is the most ideal spot for not spending the entire day on the road.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Only 90% coverage near me, and I'm not going to drive off Long Island to go see it.

People on the school's parents group are posting about getting recall notices for their eclipse glasses. Optometrists gonna be eating good.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

LifeLynx posted:

People on the school's parents group are posting about getting recall notices for their eclipse glasses. Optometrists gonna be eating good.

What brand?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

SirPablo posted:

I will be heading back to Minneapolis, any tips on routes? I'm thinking move perpendicular as much as I can at first just to maximize getting away. I'd be pretty happy if I could get to Peoria before sunset.

In the past I've used highway 4 from Mascoutah to get to 55 north and had a good experience. I have no clue how traffic patterns are gonna be though

Edit 127 n from Pinkneyville to 55 also looks pretty good, less west bound movement

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 7, 2024

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m worried that I-55 N will be a parking lot tomorrow between where I am south of Cape Girardeau and St. Louis.
We are planning on staying for dinner and checking roads. May have to head back Tuesday morning.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I plan on parking my vehicle in the overflow parking area near where we'll be taking in the show, but I don't plan on moving my vehicle until I'm ready to go home.

What's the cycling scene like in Mt. Vernon?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

What has you spooked?

Band of high clouds that'll be forming and moving north late morning. Don't know how much leeway I should expect tomorrow morning, probably zero. Right now seems like there is no one here for the eclipse.

root of all eval posted:

In the past I've used highway 4 from Mascoutah to get to 55 north and had a good experience. I have no clue how traffic patterns are gonna be though

Edit 127 n from Pinkneyville to 55 also looks pretty good, less west bound movement

Thanks! I'm just west of I-57, it'd be nice to take that north a bit to around Champaign but feels like that's just asking for trouble. Might try 127 as that shouldn't have much St Louis or Chicago people on it, or less so.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah went from looking clear to now 90-100% cloud cover around go time in Southeast Missouri if I read all of this right. Shucks.

Edit: I did not read this right and was looking at Tuesday. The eclipse is tomorrow. lol

Hed fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 8, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rare Maine ‘w’.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SirPablo posted:

Band of high clouds that'll be forming and moving north late morning. Don't know how much leeway I should expect tomorrow morning, probably zero. Right now seems like there is no one here for the eclipse.

Thanks! I'm just west of I-57, it'd be nice to take that north a bit to around Champaign but feels like that's just asking for trouble. Might try 127 as that shouldn't have much St Louis or Chicago people on it, or less so.

i went to Champaign today to cut time off my morning transit. if I can make it to Effingham in 5 hours I'm in, should be easy

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

tarlibone posted:

I plan on parking my vehicle in the overflow parking area near where we'll be taking in the show, but I don't plan on moving my vehicle until I'm ready to go home.

What's the cycling scene like in Mt. Vernon?

Just saw this, but not good at all for cycling. Everyone drives slow as hell but there is no dedicated cycling infra or especially scenic areas.

Because of that you'll also be sharing a road with people not used to bikes that will either think you are a prick, or short circuit and refuse to pass out of fear lol

If you were near cedarhurst I'd recommend taking old union to the North West back around the cemetery to old centralia road for a decent mix of scenery, good enough roads and hills without a ton of traffic.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

root of all eval posted:

Just saw this, but not good at all for cycling. Everyone drives slow as hell but there is no dedicated cycling infra or especially scenic areas.

Because of that you'll also be sharing a road with people not used to bikes that will either think you are a prick, or short circuit and refuse to pass out of fear lol

If you were near cedarhurst I'd recommend taking old union to the North West back around the cemetery to old centralia road for a decent mix of scenery, good enough roads and hills without a ton of traffic.

Hmmmm... well, my main plan is to hit the overflow parking since that's what the venue is suggesting, and considering everything I've seen on the maps and what you're suggesting here, maybe I'll leave the bike at home. My main reason for bringing it would've been to run and get food or something. The idea of couriering some Bojangles in my panniers back to the vehicle sounded fun, and I believe I could've done it around these parts: it's not too far, the roads don't look too insane, etc. But, I live in a fairly cycling-friendly county (Madison) that has a large number of miles of rail-trails. I know all too well how drivers who aren't used to cyclists tend to behave.

Also, I'd be locking my bike to my vehicle, which wouldn't be where my wife and son would be. So... yeah, not ideal. Just looking to kill some time, because we plan on getting there pretty early, well before the shuttle service starts.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's game day.

Good luck to all of you. I have my ten-inch Dobsonian telescope packed in my back seat, a cooler, drawing pad and tackle box, and a whole lot of hope things work out for viewing.

Didn't think I'd be diverting to Akron, Ohio, but here we go.

Clear skies.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

i went to Champaign today to cut time off my morning transit. if I can make it to Effingham in 5 hours I'm in, should be easy

I live in that area and folks in Effingham are unhappy they might be just on the edge. You're safer driving a bit further south, say around Newton, to ensure you get a solid view. If 57 is way too busy heading home, state roads (not US-45) are a reasonable bet.

People around here are renting plots of their yards for $50 for the tourists streaming in last night. I'm just heading to my parents place in the country and sitting in a field partaking in....legal substances. Turn off the light cause it's night on the sun.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
From what I've seen of southern Illinois, stroads are a staple. I would never bike around here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Star Man posted:

It's game day.

Good luck to all of you. I have my ten-inch Dobsonian telescope packed in my back seat, a cooler, drawing pad and tackle box, and a whole lot of hope things work out for viewing.

Didn't think I'd be diverting to Akron, Ohio, but here we go.

Clear skies.

Appearing like all of eastern IN/western OH is clear as can be. Van Buren state park outside Findlay here we come!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Setup shop last night at family an hour south of the path in northern NH, about to head north to what is improbably the clearest skies in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFdkM40KOhE

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Sticking with Southern Illinois, hope those high clouds don't wreck things. At Murphysboro lake State Park now, still pretty empty. Good luck everyone.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Heading out from my corner of the Riverbend in a few minutes. Chairs, telescope, and kit is all packed up. Sodas are in the cooler.

Most of this trip will be on I-255 and I-64, so I hope I can avoid the worst of the traffic.

High clouds in the forecast may or may not be an issue. We'll see.

Good luck, everyone!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

tarlibone posted:

My main reason for bringing it would've been to run and get food or something. The idea of couriering some Bojangles in my panniers back to the vehicle sounded fun, and I believe I could've done it around these parts: it's not too far, the roads don't look too insane, etc.

At that rate you'd be just fine to take 27th Street South past veterans and then cut back east to Brownsville. 27th is in good shape and wide enough and the rest of the trip isn't major roads so that would be a very chill ride all told. There are a couple zigzags like to 28th after the city park, but it's a straightforward route.

Don't mean to discourage you!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

What brand?

I don't know. All I know is I see parents asking where to get glasses, and other parents replying "NOT TRUE! The sun isn't any more dangerous to look at than any other day!" Knowing the political demographics of Long Island, I think these people saw Trump looking at the 2017 eclipse and now have it in their heads that a partial eclipse is safe to stare at and the scientists warning against it are part of a conspiracy.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Same here. My hotel has south facing walkways and terraces, I scoped them out and I think it's a great spot that keeps all my gear safe from crowds.

Not telling you what to do or know what your place looks like but I highly suggest going somewhere where you have the most visible sky coverage, ie no walls blocking your view of the horizon. I was there for the 2017 eclipse and there's a lot more that happens than what is going on directly above you.

The beach is right outside!

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

GunnerJ posted:

What brand?

I bought some "Eclipser HD" theoretically from American Paper Optics last summer. Got a notice from Amazon on Thursday that they may be counterfeit.

I thought buying that far in advance would avoid this poo poo. Lesson learned: don't buy safety gear from Amazon stop buying poo poo on Amazon.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Back at the city park, will have a good view. What high clouds are here I'm anticipating moving out and there is a broadening dry patch developing over AR that will drift this way - may get a clear sky even! I'll get another round of disc golf in (this park has 18 tees).

Out of six cars here so far, four are from MN. The guy I parked next to is from the suburb to the west of me and he left at the same time. Small world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I guess I could drive a couple minutes west and get the totality, but as it is I'm supposed to get like 99.8% totality, and I don't think 0.2% is worth dealing with Ohio drivers trying to do the same thing.