Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

exquisite tea posted:

There's a TV at work with that awful motion smoothing effect and it feels like I'm taking crazy pills that nobody else notices. It looks freakkin' terrible!
I've been at someone's house where their TV was set to stretch 4:3 content to 16:9 and when I switched it to Auto for them, they complained that everything looked all squished and changed it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
People get completely blinded to how hosed up their TV is. My in-laws' TV had some kind of backlight problem that made everything purple and they refused to believe it when my wife asked what was up with their TV.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i love to spend $2000 on a thing and then put zero effort into learning how it works

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You can get a 55 inch TV for like 300 bucks

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Broke boys on their 27 inch 1080ps

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TheScott2K posted:

People get completely blinded to how hosed up their TV is. My in-laws' TV had some kind of backlight problem that made everything purple and they refused to believe it when my wife asked what was up with their TV.
That reminds me of when I was a kid and my friend's parents CRT TV had the tint control turned all the way up so the Simpsons looked neon green and nobody thought anything of it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nice

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Volte posted:

That reminds me of when I was a kid and my friend's parents CRT TV had the tint control turned all the way up so the Simpsons looked neon green and nobody thought anything of it

I paid for the tint, you think I'm not going to use all of it?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

I started playing Battlefield Hardline as my random Sunday afternoon Game Pass pick without expecting too much.

Two hours into the campaign, and it's pretty fun so far! I am pleasantly surprised.

Now there’s a game that had some drat good multi that no one played

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

TheScott2K posted:

You can get a 55 inch TV for like 300 bucks

Yeah, this is kind of insane to me.
I have a sort of crappy 55" 4k in my office that was like $200 at target for a Black Friday week or whatever it is now a few years ago. It's fine but not fancy.
For $699(?) I got my 75" micro led in the family room and it looks really nice. Not as fancy as my buddy's 77" LG OLED but he paid like $3500 for that thing (which you can now get for $1700 LOL)
It blows me away when craigslist has like 40" 1080p tv for only $120!
Thinking about 1995 when my dad brought home a (super heavy) 36" Toshiba CRT he got at Circuit City that was ONLY $400 as a display model.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TheScott2K posted:

My in-laws still insist there’s no difference between SD and HD tv, sitting there watching football or whatever and the picture is so blurry you can hardly read the scoreboard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Martman posted:

i love to spend $2000 on a thing and then put zero effort into learning how it works

Sounds like my last wife! Can I get an amen, fellas?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I got like 50 bucks in store credit. What should I get in the Spring Sale? I'm thinking of the Atari collections.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lammasu posted:

I got like 50 bucks in store credit. What should I get in the Spring Sale? I'm thinking of the Atari collections.

I just bought this yesterday and it is extremely cool

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

John F Bennett posted:

I started playing Battlefield Hardline as my random Sunday afternoon Game Pass pick without expecting too much.

Two hours into the campaign, and it's pretty fun so far! I am pleasantly surprised.

Fantastic game. One of my favorite Battlefields. Solid campaign and multiplayer which the majority of people didn't seem to like since it wasn't Battlefield enough when the entire point of it was being a spinoff. Shooting other vehicles from the back window with a grenade launcher while your squadmate drove around was awesome.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Game pass months

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

kri kri posted:

Game pass months

I got Game Pass payed off to March 2026

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Per this threads advice a little bit ago, I got WWE 2k23 for cheap on Steam! It's cool! I wish downloading other players fighters wasn't so slow though, but otherwise the game is really impressive graphically. I think what WWE is really missing though, is in the crowds of people, no awesome meme/anime signs everywhere. That is actually the thing that got me curious about wrestling, is seeing pictures of that stuff everywhere on social media.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
They have custom signs in 2k24 but I'm still on 2k23 as well because of the fire sale leading up to the new one.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Thanks for the Battlefield Hardline tip, despite being from 2015 it looks pretty deece and somehow scratches that CoD itch. Especially love the thing where you thin out a room by arresting people and then have a shootout with the leftovers. Always had the game in the back of my mind but when one of the newer battlefields (not sure which one, I think the WW1 one?) played like poo poo, I sorta forgot.

Also Super Hot is good as heck.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Battlefield 1 is loving amazing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Easily the most atmospheric shooter I have ever played

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That atmosphere is mostly comprised of early chemical weapons, though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Beastie posted:

Battlefield 1 is loving amazing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Easily the most atmospheric shooter I have ever played

BF1 really is the best. yes, its superior to bf3 and bf4 due to the whisle.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

BF4 was great, the paracel islands map was amazing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

They have custom signs in 2k24 but I'm still on 2k23 as well because of the fire sale leading up to the new one.

Awesome! I plan on moving over to 2k24 once its also on fire sale. Its current sale is $50 but thats still a bit much imo for a series that im brand new to and still unsure about.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kecske posted:

BF4 was great, the paracel islands map was amazing

i loved BF4. one of the only multiplayer games i could handle last gen. it was so stresfful lol

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

welcome posted:

Definitely check out Planet of Lana.

Just finished this, what a fantastic game. Really feels like a spiritual successor to Limbo and Inside much more than Somerville. Thanks a million for the recommendation!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
BF4 was the high point for me in the series too, I never clicked with BF1 although it did look amazing and had some great maps. BFV I hated at launch and never went back (I hear it did get better) and same with 2042. Sad.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bf4 is the second best bf after bad company 2

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 8, 2024

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

kri kri posted:

BF1 really is the best. yes, its superior to bf3 and bf4 due to the whisle.

Yea, agreed. BF4 was really really good, but BF1 is better.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Dice know people live bc2 but they’re too stupid to figure out what people like about it. So they make 5 and 2142 instead lmao

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

RCarr posted:

Yea, agreed. BF4 was really really good, but BF1 is better.

BF1 was the beginning of some very bad design habits. Entry and exit animations of vehicles plus vehicles stopping on a dime when you exit. So no more jihad jeeps. It was a great game, but it was dice testing some waters that they shouldn’t have tested. 1 led to 5 and it was awful. It had lovely maps but welcome to battlefield with that

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just finished this, what a fantastic game. Really feels like a spiritual successor to Limbo and Inside much more than Somerville. Thanks a million for the recommendation!

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it! Absolutely one of my favorite Gamepass finds. Freaking gorgeous game as well.

If you've never played it, Another World is still one of the greatest in the "cinematic platformer" genre, despite being the second one ever. It's not on Gamepass but it's been as cheap as $1.99.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

welcome posted:

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it! Absolutely one of my favorite Gamepass finds. Freaking gorgeous game as well.

If you've never played it, Another World is still one of the greatest in the "cinematic platformer" genre, despite being the second one ever. It's not on Gamepass but it's been as cheap as $1.99.

Yeah those Unity games can really look great.

I actually played Another World on my Amiga 500 back in the day. I was too young to appreciate it at the time but I'll check it out again. Are the puzzles really difficult or are they within the realms of old men being able to figure them out?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The puzzles aren't too bad IIRC (there's one annoying timed button sequence that I always trial and error my way through), but the platforming and gun battling can be very punishing. At least you have infinite lives!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

welcome posted:

The puzzles aren't too bad IIRC (there's one annoying timed button sequence that I always trial and error my way through), but the platforming and gun battling can be very punishing. At least you have infinite lives!

Infinite lives eh? At my age I need those. I look back at gaming in the late-80s to mid-90s and remember the horror of the difficulty of some of those things.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Infinite lives eh? At my age I need those. I look back at gaming in the late-80s to mid-90s and remember the horror of the difficulty of some of those things.

Even with the infinite lives it felt impossible for young me to beat. Requires some very delicate timing. I should play again.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Let's all meet up in 2030 and compare Another World notes!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

There's a Fallout sale going that for some reason includes the DLC for New Vegas and FO3 in the US, but the same sale in europe doesn't include the DLCs. If any of you want to get FO3 and NV for cheap with all DLCs, that's your chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Guillermus posted:

There's a Fallout sale going that for some reason includes the DLC for New Vegas and FO3 in the US, but the same sale in europe doesn't include the DLCs. If any of you want to get FO3 and NV for cheap with all DLCs, that's your chance.

The show releases tomorrow