Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Impossible, there are no other gaming platforms besides the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
you can tell they have a health relationship because they arent using the switch

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, sorry, we're both on Steam.

Ah, PC chat in the Switch thread :hmmyes:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Bring back the Nintendo Seal of Quality

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

you can tell they have a health relationship because they arent using the switch

How do they split the Subaru? :dumbrim:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kevyn posted:

Bring back the Nintendo Seal of Quality
Picture: What Nintendo did to the Official Seal of Quality

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oh no they put it in Ice Climber, the worst fate of all

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

lol… owned.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Was Ice Climbers a bet to see if they could make the worst jumping physics in a game?

Because if so they did an admirable job!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Non Compos Mentis posted:

it'd be nice if nintendo could do something about the amount of weird, cheaply made games on the eshop but i suppose that is just something you have to deal with on any game shopfront now

What the gently caress is up with milk cat at 0.01$ can anyone tell me why it’s in “best sellers”? (Or cat milk or wtf it’s called)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Was Ice Climbers a bet to see if they could make the worst jumping physics in a game?

have you ever tried climbing a mountain dickhead

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

symbolic posted:

Lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

symbolic posted:

I haven't tried climbing a mountain dickhead. Regular mountains are tough enough for me. A mountain dickhead would be impossible.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
(Captain Kirk from The Final Frontier, but his shirt says "go climb a cock")

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
missus was babysitting for a friend so i went round with her to chill and see their dogs, they had a switch plugged into what must have been a 70 inch tv, sat down in front of it and loaded up super mario brothers 1 and i swear to god mario was so large that it affected his acceleration and mass and i couldn't run and jump like i used too,

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JollyBoyJohn posted:

missus was babysitting for a friend so i went round with her to chill and see their dogs, they had a switch plugged into what must have been a 70 inch tv, sat down in front of it and loaded up super mario brothers 1 and i swear to god mario was so large that it affected his acceleration and mass and i couldn't run and jump like i used too,

I'd assume that it was some crazy HDTV delay.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

lmao that makes so much sense, i've never experience that before probably because i've always plugged a switch into a computer monitor

i was stoned out my face at the time so it genuinely unnerved me with how freakishly slow it felt, i guess i don't normally think of hdtv lag in the context of a NES game haha

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

there are no mountains here......

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Put your crocs in sport mode and your TV in gaming mode for Mario greatness.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Meowywitch posted:

Only dickheads

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Meowywitch posted:

Your mountains are in another castle.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

My wife bought me my OLED switch but also every time she sees it laying somewhere she pantomimes throwing it onto the floor and breaking it ???

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I saw The Wizard about a year or two after I first played SMB3, so I missed out on the grand reveal, other than being still pretty jazzed that, hey, this is a movie about Nintendo games.

Also, jfc I know most of you are sarcastically posting about over the top poo poo your wives likely never do*, but goddamn my condolences to anyone itt or elsewhere who has a partner who just flat out hates your hobby. It's not everything, but it's so, so, so nice to be with someone that you can share this stuff with. :3:

The only genre I love that my wife doesn't is FPS, and the only one she loves that I don't are MOBAs.

*- any husband-behaviour posts? Are we just a thread full of husbands or single people? Yes, I already know the answer as I typed that out.

My wife doesn't like games, but she doesn't care if I play them. It's a pity because I'd like to play with her, but whatever. We do other things together and on the occasion we do find a game she gets into like Obra Dinn, it's a real delight.

She loves Stardew Valley incidentally, but never wants to play on our shared farm. Just do her own thing.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

One strange thing I've noticed playing with zoomers is that they have a harder time navigating a 2D platformer more than 3D. And I'm talking about Mario World, not Celeste or anything. I'm sure it's because it's what they grew up with, but that's so alien a concept to me.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Chieves posted:

One strange thing I've noticed playing with zoomers is that they have a harder time navigating a 2D platformer more than 3D. And I'm talking about Mario World, not Celeste or anything. I'm sure it's because it's what they grew up with, but that's so alien a concept to me.

My kid prefers the 2D ones because the camera in 3D games is too hard. They can play Mario Wonder no problem, but us playing Minecraft together is way harder.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

My kid prefers the 2D ones because the camera in 3D games is too hard. They can play Mario Wonder no problem, but us playing Minecraft together is way harder.

I wonder if the run button has anything to do with it. I can't remember a Mario game where I'm not permanently holding that.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my Old Zoomer son says he only has extreme trouble parsing muddy 256 color pixel art from the 90s, like Fallout. pixel art that is super well designed, like Super Mario is no issue. he says DKC is kind of difficult depending on the map

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

wizard2 posted:

my Old Zoomer son says he only has extreme trouble parsing muddy 256 color pixel art from the 90s, like Fallout. pixel art that is super well designed, like Super Mario is no issue. he says DKC is kind of difficult depending on the map

You're supposed to stare at the center of the screen and unfocus your eyes. Once you see Donkey Kong you can't unsee Donkey Kong.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Flubby posted:

You're supposed to stare at the center of the screen and unfocus your eyes. Once you see Donkey Kong you can't unsee Donkey Kong.

This works for the black sun behind the sun, today of all days especially. It's getting closer.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

Fallout was always really hard to look at

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My wife tends to like video games and I'm currently narrating FFIX as a mandatory precursor to SMRPG but also

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Obra Dinn, it's a real delight.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

spiritual bypass posted:

Fallout was always really hard to look at

How do we not have Fallout 3 / New Vegas on the switch?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can’t pass cert

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

symbolic posted:

Lol. Nana and popo got shooters out here

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

wizard2 posted:

These are truth.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Mega64 posted:

Original Prince Of Persia.

Evidence: playing it once at my neighbor's house when I was about 8 years old.

Edit: Mario Bros 2, Peach. Talk about floaty...

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 9, 2024

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
late to the party but SMW is the better game on account of it’s game engine. it’s probably the most satisfying playing platformer ever and is more of a playground of it’s physics engine than anything else, and these days feel like a precursor to super mario maker, even though that probably doesn’t make any sense.

like yeah in a traditional sense SMB3 is probably better: the formula is stronger, the level design is more refined, the features are fleshed out and then some. but at the end of the day it’s just not as fun of a world to be in as SMW is. I want to throw a koopa shell in the air and flick it with my cape and see how many times I can bop it back into the air, and then spin jump on it after I miss. then see how low to the ground I can glide and try to fly between the pipes like a proto-flappy bird. it’s on par with doom with how good the game feels to simply be in.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 9, 2024

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

late to the party but SMW is the better game on account of it’s game engine. it’s probably the most satisfying playing platformer ever and is more of a playground of it’s physics engine than anything else, and these days feel like a precursor to super mario maker, even though that probably doesn’t make any sense.

like yeah in a traditional sense SMB3 is probably better: the formula is stronger, the level design is more refined, the features are fleshed out and then some. but at the end of the day it’s just not as fun of a world to be in as SMW is. I want to throw a koopa shell in the air and flick it with my cape and see how many times I can bop it back into the air, and then spin jump on it after I miss. then see how low to the ground I can glide and try to fly between the pipes like a proto-flappy bird. it’s on par with doom with how good the game feels to simply be in.

This makes sense to me, SMW probably is a bit easier but the sheer amount of secrets and pathways in the game combined with how great it felt to use the cape or Yoshi goes a long way. When I was younger I remember not even finding some of the weirder secret levels and exits until years later.

SMB3 def had harder levels, ffs there is an entire world that is an armada of hellish tanks, you’re invading airships in the midst of thunderstorms, it’s just kind of more oppressive. Lost Levels probably are tougher but I haven’t played that in forever, not really certain what the “toughest” Mario games besides those two.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I ran out of steam on Wonder. Still haven’t ever played Odyssey or sunshine. played less than 20 minutes of Mario 64.Same with galaxy. I beat Mario world when I was 12. That was my all time favorite Mario game. As far as Mario platformer, it probably is still. But if you asked me right now what my favorite game with Mario in it is, I’d say Mario RPG. Probably the best 25 game hours I’ve spent since the first week of exploring breath of the wild.

Can’t wait for Thousand Year Door (remake). Sure I could play it on the GameCube but I want portability with it too. When does it come out? May? I have it preordered from Play Asia along with some other cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

otter posted:

I ran out of steam on Wonder. Still haven’t ever played Odyssey or sunshine. played less than 20 minutes of Mario 64.Same with galaxy. I beat Mario world when I was 12. That was my all time favorite Mario game. As far as Mario platformer, it probably is still. But if you asked me right now what my favorite game with Mario in it is, I’d say Mario RPG. Probably the best 25 game hours I’ve spent since the first week of exploring breath of the wild.

Can’t wait for Thousand Year Door (remake). Sure I could play it on the GameCube but I want portability with it too. When does it come out? May? I have it preordered from Play Asia along with some other cool stuff.
Speaking as someone who can't get into Mario 64 after the first like two levels and slept on like 2 decades of 3D Marios because of that, Odyssey is good and worth playing.

Mario RPG is also probably my favorite Mario game, although I like most of the 8- and 16-bit games I've played. I should pick up another set of vouchers and toss one at TTYD at some point as well.