Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

GxK was pretty enjoyable, light fluffy fair. But all I could think the whole time is about how badly we need a new fighting game like God:DAMM. The monsters are getting ugrades and weapons now, it's already very video game-y!

A 2D monster fighting game with appropriate mass/momentum, like 2014/Pacific Rim level, would rule. It'd almost be a cross between a fighter and a tactics game, the moves would take long enough to execute and carry so much weight that you'd really need to commit to your strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but playing as King Kong could be pretty badass. I wanna piledriver a dude off a building, through a portal and into hollow Earth

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If these movies had come out in the 2000s we’d have some pretty mid but fun licensed PS2 games.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Just saw GxK and...yeah. Pretty much all my problems with it were already posted by others. Wondering if anyone else saw the Jet Jaguar reference: the first time they show Godzilla sleeping in the Coliseum, there's a couple shots of graffiti. One of the tags is "Punch! Punch! Punch!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
saw GxK, I went in wanting big monsters fighting and smashing poo poo, and that's what I got. comparatively minimal human meddling considering prior films. like yeah there were the main crew following them around a bunch but the majority of it was monsters doing their thing. Kong and the chimp kid going on a journey was a simple but honestly surprisingly well-told tale of trust and friendship. the movie didn't need to be deep or meaningful, and the stories it did tell were satisfying enough stitching together the absolutely bombastic fights.

honestly the one thing as the movie went on that I hoped would happen was Shimo would survive. and she did! yay! thanks godzilla for not tearing her throat out. and skar king got SUPER hosed with an absolute classic finishing move. great! and there was a loving VERTICAL SUPLEX in one of the fights! hell yeah! RIP everyone in Rio btw

I guess I could have used more Godzilla stuff too, the focus was primarily on Kong and that was nice but felt like Godzilla got left out of most of the movie besides clowning on other titans

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 6, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Yea, I totally agree. I never really saw the other Legendary Pictures films, just bits from others talking about it.
But I really liked this one. Annoying typical hollywood human elements kept the to the absolute minimum with plenty of good monster fun. Like if this is the plan they're going with having Avengers style teamups, I'm all for it.

And the non-verbal communication that takes up a lot of the movie is actually very well done and easily conveyed.

Godzilla didn't have much screentime, but I was fine with it. Everyone knows Godzilla is THE OG. I liked that they got his power level right here and he kicked the rear end out of EVERYONE. He didn't job or get beat up first to pull up Kong or anything. Like everyone he fought, he kicked the rear end of, they got their shots in, but everyone knows if the fight went on, he would have won.

Don't even think Godzilla needed help with Scarking, but he doesn't mind the assist. lol.

I liked Kong's journey here. And liked how over and over he tries to show mercy against the other apes, even when it backfires. Other than Scarking, he's just like, gently caress you. I'm glad Shiva lived. Felt bad for Tiamat, he was just chilling, and Godzilla barges into his house, kills him, and eats all his food.

I guess Kong earned the Fatality on Scar, but when he beat him down, and the 3 did the combo beatdown. I thought what was gonna happen was, Shiva froze Scar, then Kong was gonna throw his frozen body into the air, and Godzilla would blast it and blow it up in the sky.

Loved how both Kong and Scar was like oh poo poo, and got out the way of that Pink Atomic Breathe.
I didn't know Mothra was gonna show up in the movie, but I loved it.

So question about Mothra, does she just like reincarnate or get summoned whenever humanity needs her? Just reading summaries, but she died before right?

I don't remember the names of any of the human characters in the movie. Did we even get names?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

GateOfD posted:

So question about Mothra, does she just like reincarnate or get summoned whenever humanity needs her? Just reading summaries, but she died before right?

That happens to Mothra in a lot of her movies. I think she's died 5 times on-screen in the various Toho films, and once in the Legendary series.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mothra is identified with Christ in the og films. Her symbol is the cross.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

If these movies had come out in the 2000s we’d have some pretty mid but fun licensed PS2 games.

Robot Alchemic Drive but with Godzilla, Kong and Gamera?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weirdly we did kind of get one of these recently

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2097890/Skull_Island_Rise_of_Kong/

Its not good but it has strong PS2 licensed tie in energy and a pretty amusing speedrun

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I did think of that while watching GxK, like "it's a pity the well's been poisoned because a game with Kong exploring the Hollow Earth might be kinda fun."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Robot Alchemic Drive but with Godzilla, Kong and Gamera?

loving yes dude

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

GxK was pretty enjoyable, light fluffy fair. But all I could think the whole time is about how badly we need a new fighting game like God:DAMM. The monsters are getting ugrades and weapons now, it's already very video game-y!

I have been looking for kaiju games for years, and I've got good and bad news.

The bad news is that there aren't many. The good news is that there's been more coming out in the last years than before.

If you haven't played it yet, I would definitely recommend Dawn of the Monsters. It's Streets of Rage, but with legally distinct versions of Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman and Gypsy Danger teaming up to beat the ever loving poo poo out of Evangelion's Angels. It's also a little slower paced than most beat em ups, because everyone is massive, so I found it to be more accessible than other games in the genre.

I've talked up this game before, but it scratches an itch that not many other games do. The lead designer also has some cool videos about the history of kaiju in games.

My personal dream game is something that seems so obvious to me, but sadly doesn't exist: a giant monster flight game. Think about it: the biplanes in the original King Kong, the spotter planes in Raids Again, the Super X in Heisei, the VTOLs in KoTM, the Shinden In Minus One, even those cool little spaceships in Godzilla x Kong. All of them take center stage in some of the most iconic scenes of their respective movies, and all of them treat aircraft as something that gives humans the slightest fighting chance against an otherworldly colossus.

I would love to play as the pilot approaching the empire state building, or as a helicopter jockey that helps in the evacuation during a monster attack. You'd have almost a century of planes and monsters to choose from, and gameplay could be as sim- or arcade like as you want.

Hell, there's even precedent for this! Godzilla is present in the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator through a mod, and was famously featured as a sort of unofficial mascot in Warbirds. There was a special appearance of the Big G himself in an Ace Combat crossover event, and someone already tried to combine Gamera with Starfox on the PSX.

Basically, give me this with kaiju and I'll never need another game in my life...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I did think of that while watching GxK, like "it's a pity the well's been poisoned because a game with Kong exploring the Hollow Earth might be kinda fun."

yea i would take the most basic type of ubisoft style open world game that doesn't look like rear end and just have you building up rep. with the various tribes

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Leading up to the reveal of the underground Iwi leader I really expected her to be a twin of the little girl. Kind of a shame the Mothra twins thing was already used (poorly) by KotM

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 8, 2024

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope the idiot character who let the mosquito suck on him because "she needs it more than me" dies of West Nile Virus

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

I hope the idiot character who let the mosquito suck on him because "she needs it more than me" dies of West Nile Virus
you want the best character in this whole franchise to die.

ok ill remember you said this the next time you say anything bad about the monsterverse characters.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

In a weird way I like that. The humans are basically relegated to being mosquitos at this point in the legendary universe; Dan Stevens's big move is just summoning a swarm to annoy the enemies for like two seconds. So he feels a strange kinship with them; the giant monsters have changed the natural order.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Martman posted:

In a weird way I like that. The humans are basically relegated to being mosquitos at this point in the legendary universe; Dan Stevens's big move is just summoning a swarm to annoy the enemies for like two seconds. So he feels a strange kinship with them; the giant monsters have changed the natural order.

Skull Island had the same idea, it just presented it visually and much more evocatively when the swam of helicopters we've sent to Skull Island are shown to be visually indistinct from a tiny dragonfly.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Talking non-Godzilla kaiju films, I rewatched Big Man Japan recently. It's basically a mockumentary about the ordinary life of a transforming hero, who has to defend Japan despite being generally shunned and reviled by the Japanese public. It's well worth a watch, some of the daily life scenes are a bit slow, but the bizarre kaiju are a treat, and the film goes to progressively weirder places as it goes on.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I love BMJ, but the ending drags a little too long imo

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Martman posted:

they gave the main character a character arc? drat the weed really let you pierce the veil bro

CRAYON posted:

You're upset they gave one of the main characters of the movie a character arc? When I read stuff like that I'm genuinely baffled by what people even want out of these movies.

the main character you're talking about is a giant CGI monster ape and his arc is alternatingly smiling or scowling at different CGI apes for 45 minutes of screentime

if you're going to give the giant cgi monster ape an arc, you need to pull out all the stops to make you care about something that is both a totally CGI creature and also a scary monster. This movie definitely didn't give a poo poo, barely tried, and is thus boring as gently caress

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a72BtIg1hEw

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I saw this last night. It's a very dumb movie but I enjoyed it for what it was. I wanted to see Kong and Godzilla smashing stuff and fighting, and it gave me that. The character stuff was VASTLY improved from Godzilla vs Kong (at least imho) so I never felt like stuff was dragging between the monster fights. It also helped that the humans were mostly in a pretty visually interesting world, rather than a bunch of boring industrial buildings and underground bases and stuff.

And maybe I'm overly sentimental but all the Kong stuff worked for me, I really enjoyed his character stuff and how expressive he was. Showering in the waterfall after getting monster goop all over him and just looking tired, I dunno, it worked for me. He's this big lonely monster who's getting older, I dug that.

Godzilla did a vertical suplex to Kong, too, so I'm happy.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mantis42 posted:

I was really hoping this was setting up a later reveal of giant kaiju mosquitos, but of course I was disappointed.

CelticPredator posted:

you want the best character in this whole franchise to die.

:stare: That's the most damning condemnation of this series that I've ever seen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trapper owns you dip!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Trapper was alright but he might as well have had a neon sign floating over him at the beginning that said "THIS IS THE COOL NEW CHARACTER PLEASE LIKE HIM".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

Trapper owns you dip!

Dan Steven's is just too off putting to play this type of character successfully.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only thing Trapper owns is a compilation cd of 80s hair metal

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s crazy to me because David Collins is one of the most charming psychopaths in recent memory

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sailor Viy posted:

Talking non-Godzilla kaiju films, I rewatched Big Man Japan recently. It's basically a mockumentary about the ordinary life of a transforming hero, who has to defend Japan despite being generally shunned and reviled by the Japanese public. It's well worth a watch, some of the daily life scenes are a bit slow, but the bizarre kaiju are a treat, and the film goes to progressively weirder places as it goes on.

So it's like Tetsup the Iron Man?

Spoilers: that ends with the eponymous hero merging with the bad guy I think and turning into a iron dick speeding thru the streets of Tokyo

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Trapper was one-dimensional jokes man, didn't have any funny jokes, and took away the one role our protagonist lady should have had, which was Kong expert. Like a rejected side character from a Transformers film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Shageletic posted:

Spoilers: that ends with the eponymous hero merging with the bad guy I think and turning into a iron dick speeding thru the streets of Tokyo

The ending is a parody of how brutally violent Ultraman could get and it’s loving hilarious.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

King Kong the cool Uncle that lets his nephew experience being at the club

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I appreciate Trappers love for dentistry but skeeter lover have got to go

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Shageletic posted:

Stylistically very different, but I can sort of see the comparison, yes. I like the idea of drawing a line between Tetsuo and tokusatsu heroes. The transformation of human bodies into something more perfect than flesh...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

there was no reason to have the podcast guy there at all

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

GateOfD posted:

there was no reason to have the podcast guy there at all

They cut back so much of the human cast (thank God) but I don't know why he made the cut.

Just in general, "conspiracy theorist who's actually RIGHT!" is probably a character type we can retire for a while.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's super dumb too because ~ the signal that no one but him believed was a signal ~ was like, the same thing we've seen in Godzilla 2014 and KotM. I know monarch is portrayed as being really bad at their jobs but like really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Also I’m not a loving giant monster biology researcher or anything but even I, an idiot in the audience, figured out that was probably some kind of signal without having to ask a conspiracy theorist podcaster about it.