Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess I could drive a couple minutes west and get the totality, but as it is I'm supposed to get like 99.8% totality, and I don't think 0.2% is worth dealing with Ohio drivers trying to do the same thing.

wrong as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

Thankfully (so far) locusts don't spread into New England. I'm sure with climate change that's...uhh...changing but since they're on long year cycles it must take even longer to notice cicada movement.

We don't have locusts in the US anymore. Between the plains being plowed up for farmland, the bison being exterminated, and a good swath of the country clearcut by the late 1800s, the Rocky Mountain locust went extinct. The grasshoppers we have today don't swarm and are a different species altogether.

Cicadas are an entirely different thing. Not only are they a native species and completely harmless, they're a huge boon to the environment and a lunch buffet for just about everything else in the ecosystem! They live their entire lives underground living off tree roots, then only emerge to reproduce at the tail end of their lifecycle.

Anyways, I'm super excited for the eclipse today! Got my lenses, binoculars, camera and tripod... here's hoping the rain cleared off the clouds over Lake Erie!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
99.8% is not totality. Anything below 100% is not totality.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess I could drive a couple minutes west and get the totality, but as it is I'm supposed to get like 99.8% totality, and I don't think 0.2% is worth dealing with Ohio drivers trying to do the same thing.

Weird position to take.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

East side of Cleveland here. Fingers crossed the clouds clear out in time.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
drat, partly cloudy in Rochester like the weather models said. Hopefully we can see something in a gap between the clouds this afternoon as I'm hosting a party and can't go anywhere else.

Shoulda known better as I've lived here my entire life and it's a common joke to feign ignorance about the Sun's existence, especially in winter.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok, trying to decide the best spot within driving distance of Austin.

If I'm reading this right, it's expecting significant high cloud coverage but minimal low cloud coverage, right? There's a town a little north of Killeen and a little west of Waco that we shouldn't have any problem getting to, and they're right near the centerline.

Social pressures meant we couldn't really bail and go elsewhere entirely, so I think this is the best we've got.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

this is a bit right?

Pack your poo poo up right now and get on the road. Bring food water camping chairs sunscreen and a shade structure if you’ve got one. You WILL regret it if you sit there at 99.8%

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 8, 2024

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I can't believe the weather/sky is so good damned good here in Vermont...in early April? And after a week where got rain, a foot of snow, and massively overcast days.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

more falafel please posted:

If I'm reading this right, it's expecting significant high cloud coverage but minimal low cloud coverage, right? There's a town a little north of Killeen and a little west of Waco that we shouldn't have any problem getting to, and they're right near the centerline.

Social pressures meant we couldn't really bail and go elsewhere entirely, so I think this is the best we've got.

Hillsboro is on 35, expect the freeway to be a parking lot north of Austin. If you’re not on the road now it’s probably too late.

Valley Mills is still expecting ~70% cloud cover. You’re gonna want to go as far north as you can off the centerline to get the clearest skies.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Mt. Vernon, checking in.

I ended up leaving the bike at home, but I have my family with me, so it would be weird to leave them here while I rode around. We have the overflow parking almost totally to ourselves; shuttle service doesn't start for a couple hours.

Time to take a stroll.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
I’m posted up at a public park in McLeansboro IL. The sky is clear (for now??) and the sun is shining and there’s a well-equipped bathroom and a grand total of four other eclipse tourists here.

Sent my brain into optimization overdrive consulting maps and spreadsheets and cloud forecasts and town population counts and traffic patterns up until the last possible second before leaving and also re-checking everything while actively on the road and now I’m here and have no idea what I’m supposed to do with all this leftover energy until 2pm

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Dallas right now 🙄. Weather app says sunny now, with partly cloudy skies later, so here’s to hoping.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

in watertown, it is looking like we will have significant high-level clouds, but it should still be visible. prolly won't be able to see the corona tho.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

I’m posted up at a public park in McLeansboro IL. The sky is clear (for now??) and the sun is shining and there’s a well-equipped bathroom and a grand total of four other eclipse tourists here.

Sent my brain into optimization overdrive consulting maps and spreadsheets and cloud forecasts and town population counts and traffic patterns up until the last possible second before leaving and also re-checking everything while actively on the road and now I’m here and have no idea what I’m supposed to do with all this leftover energy until 2pm
nerd out with the other eclipse chasers about your plans for future eclipses!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cthulu Carl posted:

This is against the forum rules either as trolling or as self-harm.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mazatlan sky status: clear now with a vague threat of high clouds to the west. Not much wind now tho so hopefully they stay away another four hours

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Reporting in from Jackson, MO. Some high clouds, but mostly clear skies.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

I’m in NW PA and in true Northeast fashion it was bright and sunny with almost no clouds the past 2 days. The day you WANT it to be sunny? lol nope gently caress off here’s some rain and full cloud cover :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Checking from Van Buren state park outside Findlay, OH. Perfect set up. Parked and wide open clearings with no clouds to the west. Even managed to get a picnic table!

Maybe another dozen or so spots left (at this first clearing, may be all) so won't be overcrowded. If clouds stay good this is the pro spot to be at.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

Checking from Van Buren state park outside Findlay, OH. Perfect set up. Parked and wide open clearings with no clouds to the west. Even managed to get a picnic table!

Maybe another dozen or so spots left (at this first clearing, may be all) so won't be overcrowded. If clouds stay good this is the pro spot to be at.

Could have had a shorter drive and gone to Magee Marsh! Parking lot isn't even half full yet. I am sitting on the shore of Lake Erie and there's maybe 5% cloud cover.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
In a park in the Thousand Islands region of NY, mostly sunny and hoping the projections saying "clouds to roll in at 3:20 on the dot lol gently caress you" are wrong 🙏

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Could have had a shorter drive and gone to Magee Marsh! Parking lot isn't even half full yet. I am sitting on the shore of Lake Erie and there's maybe 5% cloud cover.

How much totality you getting there? I wanted at least three minutes. Currently zero cloud cover here and looking good.

Only took 90 minutes from Ann Arbor. Expecting 3-4 hours back though lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

more falafel please posted:

I ended up in Mills County, a lot of blue sky for now but we shall see….

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

How much totality you getting there? I wanted at least three minutes. Currently zero cloud cover here and looking good.

Only took 90 minutes from Ann Arbor. Expecting 3-4 hours back though lol

I cannot find any kind of map that tells me that so I got no clue. Not invested enough for a multi-hour return trip so I'm happy with whatever I can get here.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Went for a walk here in Vermont, passed a public beach where the parking lot was full. One guy told me he had been there since 8:30am!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I cannot find any kind of map that tells me that so I got no clue. Not invested enough for a multi-hour return trip so I'm happy with whatever I can get here.

Use this: https://eclipse-explorer.smce.nasa.gov/

If it's close to Toledo, looks like a little more than 90 seconds of totality. I wanted to get farther into the path so there's no risk of the horizon to the north having sunlight. Gimme that pitch black baby!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sirotan posted:

there is a link in the OP of this thread for your convenience

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Seems like it's going to come down to the wire here in Buffalo. Solid clouds for now, but models seem mixed on how fast they'll leave.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

TraderStav posted:

Use this: https://eclipse-explorer.smce.nasa.gov/

If it's close to Toledo, looks like a little more than 90 seconds of totality. I wanted to get farther into the path so there's no risk of the horizon to the north having sunlight. Gimme that pitch black baby!

2min 58.9 seconds allegedly :science:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Hello from beautiful downtown (ok, "midtown") Cleveland. Sunny AF right now but the models are super confused as to whether it'll be 25% or 90% cloudy in 3 hours. Previous forecasts were all "go farther west towards Toledo for maximum sun" but now it looks so random I'm tempted to just stay here near our hotel room? Ugh. Stupid eclipse gonna give me an ulcer!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

bitprophet posted:

Hello from beautiful downtown (ok, "midtown") Cleveland. Sunny AF right now but the models are super confused as to whether it'll be 25% or 90% cloudy in 3 hours. Previous forecasts were all "go farther west towards Toledo for maximum sun" but now it looks so random I'm tempted to just stay here near our hotel room? Ugh. Stupid eclipse gonna give me an ulcer!

The local forecast office seems to think we’ll have cirrus for the eclipse, but it shouldn’t be bad enough to block it completely.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
We're looking good here in Doylestown, Ohio.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The Astrospheric app is really great for this too.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Here's the Sun in Vermont at 4:20pm, yesterday. Should be around the same spot at 3:20pm today, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Here's what I'm carrying my telescope stuff in here at the museum.

Sorry about the image size; I'm phone-posting.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Star Man posted:

We're looking good here in Doylestown, Ohio.

now that’s a telescope :drat:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bawfuls posted:

now that’s a telescope :drat:

She’ll be like “Your profile said that your aperture was much bigger.” :mad:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mustache Ride posted:

Hillsboro is on 35, expect the freeway to be a parking lot north of Austin. If you’re not on the road now it’s probably too late.

Valley Mills is still expecting ~70% cloud cover. You’re gonna want to go as far north as you can off the centerline to get the clearest skies.

Traffic was extremely light. We ended up in Gatesville, TX at a drive-in.

Partial starts in 10 minutes, looking ok, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Satellite view of the shadow.

https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate...dth=6&refresh=1