Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ROFLBOT posted:

I kinda think fraud and theft involving hundreds of millions of dollars, bail-jumping, imprisonment and making Interpol's wanted list is a reasonable equivalency.

I mean if we're setting a bar for good character in CEOs i hope no one throwing shade on Tesla owners bought a Nissan, Renault or Mitsubishi in the last 20 or so years....

I’ll take a million dudes who committed securities fraud over a single nazi, hth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
huh what’s worse? A shifty CEO that made bad choices selling cars and may have hosed over a bunch of rich people’s money or a guy who spent $44 billion to personally carve out a space in the public square for stochastic terrorists like Chaya Raichik to spread their filth in a way that literally kills children without consequences? I am very smart.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That will be enough about Musk *now*

Muskchat is once again out of this thread, no exceptions. Go to the Terrible car stuff thread instead.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Can we still talk about the guy that thinks financial impropriety and Nazis are equally as bad?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Can we still talk about the guy that thinks financial impropriety and Nazis are equally as bad?
This is really tedious poo poo

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i for one find this crackdown on the electric vehicles thread to be...

shocking :v:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That will be enough about Musk *now*

Muskchat is once again out of this thread, no exceptions. Go to the Terrible car stuff thread instead.

We didn't want them in there either

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Thwomp posted:

I’m making a roadtrip to see the eclipse and GM getting access to the supercharger network and adapters can’t come soon enough.

Thank you local Hyundai dealer in the middle of Indiana who had available fast chargers. The EA location had half the stalls down for maintenance. The rest had queues of cars.

Same but here in eastern Canada I have yet to see a single fast charging location that has more than one plug. As I stare wistfully at the rows of empty Tesla superchargers at the other side of the parking lot

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cactus Ghost posted:

i for one find this crackdown on the electric vehicles thread to be...

shocking :v:

They've certainly been charged with some infractions.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How much is Tesla charging third party users for charging at superchargers?

(say that three times as fast as you can)

Seems like from a corporate point of view they would want to put a serious premium on them given it's the best network out there. But maybe there are still some 'help the transition to sustainable energy' people in the supercharger division of the company??

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

El Grillo posted:

(say that three times as fast as you can)

Seems like from a corporate point of view they would want to put a serious premium on them given it's the best network out there. But maybe there are still some 'help the transition to sustainable energy' people in the supercharger division of the company??

IIRC it is like a $0.10 premium over what a Tesla owner pays on average, but can be reduced by some subscription in the Tesla app. So for the most part it is competitive with the rest of the DCFC industry but not really ground breaking.

Dropped my 2020 Model 3 Performance off for service today, getting a bunch of mostly routine maintenance stuff done, having a powertrain service warning that cropped up twice checked and the rear camera wire harness recall. They gave me a 2021 SR+ loaner in the meantime. The 2021s really are quieter, less wind noise, less road noise, less motor noise (although I'm not sure if that is just because it only has 1 motor). I'm pretty impressed actually, my 2020 isn't bad by any means, but they have clearly made some notable/significant improvements in the 2021s. Makes me curious how much nicer the Highland refreshes are because most people that have reviewed them say they are even better yet.

Oh, and before anyone asks, the loaner is still a Freemont build, I checked the VIN already to be sure.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

On the road again

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You parked over the line.

e: also that sign is sending mixed messages. "No Parking: EV Charging Only". I hope you kept it in Neutral :ohdear:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

El Grillo posted:

0,63€/kWh from 21:00 to 15:59 and 0,70 from 16:00 to 20:59 in Europe.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Has there been any plan for EV's that begin to add the NACS port to locate it in a standard location, or are we going to have a hodgepodge like we currently see? We're going to see dudes parked sideways across 3 stalls to charge otherwise.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

People are already double-parking as instructed by the tesla app.

I think the new v4 chargers have longer cables.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Civil posted:

Has there been any plan for EV's that begin to add the NACS port to locate it in a standard location, or are we going to have a hodgepodge like we currently see? We're going to see dudes parked sideways across 3 stalls to charge otherwise.

The plan is that the cable is something you carry around in your trunk. So I guess we'll just carry around a cable that's long enough to get from the charging port to the charger, regardless of what side the charger is on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tesla should discount that red color, just because the 3/Y look so much better in it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

The plan is that the cable is something you carry around in your trunk. So I guess we'll just carry around a cable that's long enough to get from the charging port to the charger, regardless of what side the charger is on.
detachable cables are absolutely the answer, then you carry one that's as long as you need.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

detachable cables are absolutely the answer, then you carry one that's as long as you need.

How would this work with the need for them to be liquid-cooled?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Elviscat posted:

Hope you drank a lot of Gatorade

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

That's an interesting question. Maybe your portable cable will be bulkier? Or maybe there'll be some sort of cooling doodad on it with a big fan and fins?

It's a really interesting question.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s no way long detachable cables are the solution. The solution is people parking in weird orientations for the next 10 years until the industry standardizes on where to put the charge port.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

0,63€/kWh from 21:00 to 15:59 and 0,70 from 16:00 to 20:59 in Europe.

Tesla is 0.48-0.58 €/kWh around here. Other DCFC providers tend to be around 0.35 €/kWh. AC chargers ~0.22 €/kWh.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DoLittle posted:

Tesla is 0.48-0.58 €/kWh around here. Other DCFC providers tend to be around 0.35 €/kWh. AC chargers ~0.22 €/kWh.

They are in line with 100+ kWh chargers like enelx/ewiva or ionity here in Italy which are 0,70€/kWh or more. AC chargers cost more than your tesla options, getting less than 0,40€/kWh is a small miracle.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The solution should be pull-through stations for dcfc and just find somewhere else to park for Level 2 because there should be so many level 2 stations available in multiple configurations that you can just find one that works for you.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

AC chargers have long rear end cables anyway.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

That's an interesting question. Maybe your portable cable will be bulkier? Or maybe there'll be some sort of cooling doodad on it with a big fan and fins?

It's a really interesting question.

It'd have to be enormous, like as big around as two arms held together.

You could do some sort of liquid QD fittings in the charger end, but controlling for contamination in the water and stuff would be difficult.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

It'd have to be enormous, like as big around as two arms held together.

You could do some sort of liquid QD fittings in the charger end, but controlling for contamination in the water and stuff would be difficult.

It seems clear to me now that the answer is room-temperature superconductors.

Pretty obvious in hindsight.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

It seems clear to me now that the answer is room-temperature superconductors.

Pretty obvious in hindsight.

Oh, duh.

Or high-temperature superconductors. And you get to watch a giant helium purge every time you hook up.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Maybe they’ll just install longer cables than engineer a system to allow any random cable have 250kw flow through them.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Maybe they’ll just install longer cables than engineer a system to allow any random cable have 250kw flow through them.

SAE J3400 spelled out the charger-side interface for a removable cable (CCS2, LOL) so I think the smart money right now is on future stalls not providing an easy way for anyone with an angle grinder to score a bunch of copper.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just make all charger cables that terrifying robot proboscis that Tesla demoed a while back. It could fight off any thieves.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Build the cable into the car, plug it in on the charger side.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Speleothing posted:

The solution should be pull-through stations for dcfc and just find somewhere else to park for Level 2 because there should be so many level 2 stations available in multiple configurations that you can just find one that works for you.

The correct answer.

Right now DCFC is still a second class citizen suck in the back of a parking lot somewhere. Gas stations are almost universally pull-through and it doesn't matter where the fuel port is on the vehicle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Last stop

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

pull through seems like it would take up a shitload of space. gas stations arent a great comparison; they're pull-through because they're high throughput and having the exit flow away from the entry queue smooths things out considerably. i cant see even the fastest chargers having the kind of density of traffic where pullthrough prevents gridlock

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wayne Knight posted:

This is starting to happen already - the best type have the cable hanging from a swing out arm thing which keeps the cable fairly tidy.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Old cars with the gas fill tank behind the rear plate had it right

Bring back the energy butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just put a charge port on every corner of the car bing bong so simple

And then make it so you can daisy chain charge multiple cars