Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

PetraCore posted:

I suspect they're cutting out the youngest generation entirely because they'd all be like ages 0-5 during this time frame to make things work. Linton definitely got merged with Edgar, because Edgar's issues with his body are pulled straight from Linton and how he develops... I'm not even going to call it a complex in the book. Seeing your mother die of illness and knowing your body isn't holding up and you're also dying as your father berates you and only one person cares to try and help you with your physical problems veers past having a complex and straight into medical neglect. But, you know. Linton Edgar here seems to share a lot of that.

I don't think Hareton exists here either because we haven't heard any mention of Frances, and if she existed I think Hindley would have mentioned his dead wife as something else the world ripped away from him when he Distorts. So with neither Hareton or Linton Heathcliff around, I don't think Catherine Jr. exists in the Limbus timeline either, although she might exist in some mirror universes.

Linton did say that he and Catherine built a family together, so it's possible that there's a child around somewhere. After all, we still don't really know what he wants out of this.

If Hareton exists, then he's likely Linton's older brother, if that's not genderswapped Isabelle.

As for the age issue, maybe kids in T-Corp get thrown in a time capsule and forcibly aged up past infancy.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

LostRook posted:

As for the age issue, maybe kids in T-Corp get thrown in a time capsule and forcibly aged up past infancy.

Ah, yes, the Fire Emblem: Fates approach to child-rearing :v:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

LostRook posted:

Linton did say that he and Catherine built a family together, so it's possible that there's a child around somewhere. After all, we still don't really know what he wants out of this.

If Hareton exists, then he's likely Linton's older brother, if that's not genderswapped Isabelle.

Funnily enough, Limbus Catherine physically resembles Catherine Jr more than Catherine Earnshaw, being blonde with dark brown eyes instead of having dark wavy hair. It's hard to fully tell with the muted colors, but I think Limbus Cathy and Hindley are closer to being dirty blond than the golden-pale blonde Cathy Jr has in the book, though.

I mean, I don't think it's particularly relevant to anything, I just thought it was funny.

Gregor Edgar mentions a little sister Mirror Heathcliff took away from him, which I assume is a reference to what happened to Isabella in the book as well as to the fact Gregor iirc canonically has a younger sister both in Metamorphosis and in Limbus. So it's interesting to think Hareton might be an older brother of Linton's that hosed off, but that'd be a little weird to me because Hareton is the only second generation character with no actual relation to the Linton family. I was wondering instead if some of Hareton's character got folded into Heathcliff and some of Cathy Jr's character got folded into Catherine to match Linton, because Linton setting up Heathcliff for punishment is something Edgar never actually does to Heathcliff in the book except by accident one time but Linton absolutely deliberately does that to Hareton.

EDIT: I am definitely hoping for genderswapped Isabella, though.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

PetraCore posted:

Funnily enough, Limbus Catherine physically resembles Catherine Jr more than Catherine Earnshaw, being blonde with dark brown eyes instead of having dark wavy hair. It's hard to fully tell with the muted colors, but I think Limbus Cathy and Hindley are closer to being dirty blond than the golden-pale blonde Cathy Jr has in the book, though.

I mean, I don't think it's particularly relevant to anything, I just thought it was funny.

Gregor Edgar mentions a little sister Mirror Heathcliff took away from him, which I assume is a reference to what happened to Isabella in the book as well as to the fact Gregor iirc canonically has a younger sister both in Metamorphosis and in Limbus. So it's interesting to think Hareton might be an older brother of Linton's that hosed off, but that'd be a little weird to me because Hareton is the only second generation character with no actual relation to the Linton family. I was wondering instead if some of Hareton's character got folded into Heathcliff and some of Cathy Jr's character got folded into Catherine to match Linton, because Linton setting up Heathcliff for punishment is something Edgar never actually does to Heathcliff in the book except by accident one time but Linton absolutely deliberately does that to Hareton.

EDIT: I am definitely hoping for genderswapped Isabella, though.

Oh yeah, the blonde thing is funny. It's possible it's part of a narrative shell-game, and might mean the color tint is more than just aesthetic.

Heathcliff?'s corpse has blonde hair after all. With the "I am Heathcliff" stuff that Limbus has alluded to a little bit, it's possible that the person being possessed was Catherine. Which would mean the person in the coffin device is either the created person from the experiment, an ID, or an aged-up Cathy Jr. The color correcting could be a way to cover-up the difference in hair color. Of course, having Heathcliff literally kill Catherine would be a bit convoluted and remarkably cruel narrative decision even by Project Moon standards, so who knows if they'll go there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just loving realized something awful.

R Corp Heathcliff was loving foreshadowing. Dead Rabbits, yeah, obvious quick one, but also: Fighting a million clones of yourself.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

Just loving realized something awful.

(I'm sorry)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

LostRook posted:

Oh yeah, the blonde thing is funny. It's possible it's part of a narrative shell-game, and might mean the color tint is more than just aesthetic.

Heathcliff?'s corpse has blonde hair after all. With the "I am Heathcliff" stuff that Limbus has alluded to a little bit, it's possible that the person being possessed was Catherine. Which would mean the person in the coffin device is either the created person from the experiment, an ID, or an aged-up Cathy Jr. The color correcting could be a way to cover-up the difference in hair color. Of course, having Heathcliff literally kill Catherine would be a bit convoluted and remarkably cruel narrative decision even by Project Moon standards, so who knows if they'll go there.
Huh... didn't Linton mention something about an older brother that left...? You don't think Mirror Heathcliff got put in him, do you?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I think you guys have gone like 5 layers deeper than you need to on this one

e: no ID this week huh, at least I can get exp tickets again

e2: story wise imo the most interesting character Thing was that rather than him murdering someone the Body Bag was Heathcliff's all along as a metaphor for how he views himself. oof.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 7, 2024

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

Yinlock posted:

e2: story wise imo the most interesting character Thing was that rather than him murdering someone the Body Bag was Heathcliff's all along as a metaphor for how he views himself. oof.

Is that true? From reading Dead Rabbit Meursault's story where he's tasked to kill somebody, put them in a sack, and bring them back, I thought it was the representation of 'people he's killed in an attempt to prove himself worthy of Cathy', which additionally makes sense in it being Envy and turning Wrath in 6-34. Him being the bodysack doesn't really fit with the use line unless he's a cannibal or something.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

PetraCore posted:

Huh... didn't Linton mention something about an older brother that left...? You don't think Mirror Heathcliff got put in him, do you?

Super doubt. Given Don latching on to the Edgar family name a little bit, we've probably met the eldest Edgar brother in Distortion Detective. He went by Edgar, a grade 1 Fixer with the major crimes unit of Zwei Section 1, South Branch, which Moses notes means he's something of a big deal.

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)

RandomReader posted:

Super doubt. Given Don latching on to the Edgar family name a little bit, we've probably met the eldest Edgar brother in Distortion Detective. He went by Edgar, a grade 1 Fixer with the major crimes unit of Zwei Section 1, South Branch, which Moses notes means he's something of a big deal.

It will also explain why Linton would think that his brother will be very angry if he found out what Linton did, considering that he likely collaborated with former Ring members.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

RandomReader posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Honestly thematically the thing that makes the most sense for me is if the person Heathcliff was riding isn't connected to anything and is thus a completely unrelated victim who had his life hijacked for a revenge plot he has nothing at all to do with. Collateral damage, you know?

Anyway Edgar being Linton's older brother would make a lot of sense and also be hilariously uncomfortable for, as pointed out, the many many horrible crimes Linton is colluding with in the name of love.

Yinlock posted:

I think you guys have gone like 5 layers deeper than you need to on this one

e: no ID this week huh, at least I can get exp tickets again

I like going 5 layers too deep for fun, I don't actually think Catherine not being fully book accurate in appearance means anything, given she's also not an engineer and inventor in the book, either. I figured with Body Bag, the important thing is that's probably the very first murder Heathcliff ever committed given that he was brought into Wuthering Heights as a scrawny child, so it's symbolic of the costs and stains that have built up on himself and other people in order to fuel his ambitions (Catherine). Like, he did the murder without question or hesitation, but it's still a loss of innocence, if that makes sense?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Numbus26 posted:

Is that true? From reading Dead Rabbit Meursault's story where he's tasked to kill somebody, put them in a sack, and bring them back, I thought it was the representation of 'people he's killed in an attempt to prove himself worthy of Cathy', which additionally makes sense in it being Envy and turning Wrath in 6-34. Him being the bodysack doesn't really fit with the use line unless he's a cannibal or something.

PetraCore posted:

I like going 5 layers too deep for fun, I don't actually think Catherine not being fully book accurate in appearance means anything, given she's also not an engineer and inventor in the book, either. I figured with [spoiler]Body Bag, the important thing is that's probably the very first murder Heathcliff ever committed given that he was brought into Wuthering Heights as a scrawny child, so it's symbolic of the costs and stains that have built up on himself and other people in order to fuel his ambitions (Catherine). Like, he did the murder without question or hesitation, but it's still a loss of innocence, if that makes sense?

when he's Distorting he basically refers to himself as a bodysack on the side of the road at one point. IMO "you'll get shoved in this bag too" is Heathcliff resolving to drag the enemy down into the gutters with him, It represents his bitterness against an unfair world and desire to lash out and make everyone else as miserable as he is, it's all extremely (literary)Heathcliff and basically his self-destructive impulses made manifest.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 7, 2024

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Side note to all this major plot talk, but I wanna give Don Quixote credit: Her moment of self-awareness where she asks the 'Oufi Fixers' what's going on and straight up says "I know I have a reputation for being ignorant" was really interesting. I know Cantos tend to focus on the sinners in question, but there almost always is some side progression for others. Hell, Heathcliff got a solid amount of development in 5 to set up 6, and given Don and Hong Lu are next, their extra moments here and there are shining through.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Junpei posted:

Side note to all this major plot talk, but I wanna give Don Quixote credit: Her moment of self-awareness where she asks the 'Oufi Fixers' what's going on and straight up says "I know I have a reputation for being ignorant" was really interesting. I know Cantos tend to focus on the sinners in question, but there almost always is some side progression for others. Hell, Heathcliff got a solid amount of development in 5 to set up 6, and given Don and Hong Lu are next, their extra moments here and there are shining through.

What level was that on? I thought she was showing her knowledge this Canto, with knowing about the Butlers and the various qualities they have. If you want to know about various Fixers, offices, and associations, Don probably knows something, even if it is heavily distorted.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ep. 27 in the Theater of this Canto.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

KobunFan posted:

What level was that on? I thought she was showing her knowledge this Canto, with knowing about the Butlers and the various qualities they have. If you want to know about various Fixers, offices, and associations, Don probably knows something, even if it is heavily distorted.
Yeah, she recognizes that the so-called Oufi Fixers aren't acting in a way that makes any sense given how Oufi Fixers are supposed to work. However, she's also aware she's impulsive and prone to misinterpreting situations even if her theoretical knowledge of Fixers is exceptional, so she decides to straight up confront them politely about what the gently caress instead of either wading in lance first or insisting everything must be fine, actually. It was a good moment. And she was right! They weren't Oufi Fixers, and she identified that not just because 'Fixers would never do something dishonorable' although that's a factor, but because the work they were doing in the basement didn't match the way Oufi Fixers work in maintaining contracts. Presumably at most actual Oufi Fixers would be providing supervision for other people doing work to ensure they didn't act in a way that broke a contract, they wouldn't be adjusting things themselves.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Meanwhile I'm still pretty sure that Cathy's parents are going to play a role, between the already-mentioned elements of the second generation our characters have, that it's more than a little sus that Mr. Earnshaw just picked up one random homeless kid out of all the homeless kids in the Backstreets, and everything about the fact that Cathy's mom was apparently the first one to start loving with the basement and Josephine thinks that she can talk to her ghost. Which might have been the ghost Cathy saw as a kid?

It's of course very possible that Josephine is just crazy. Though I don't think she's hearing Carmen, given the bit after her fight where she says the Mistress told her to stop fighting Limbus Company and go clear out the Dead Rabbits-something that Carmen would have no reason to do.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
Huh read a post on reddit about Don and how she's basically a soloist in all her identities but what was really interested was that they showed how Don's combat sprite shows a different name on her jacket than her normal portrait sprite. Now this isn't just a Don thing since iirc some other Sinners have off combat sprites but I find it really interesting in combat Don's outfit says Miguel which is radically different from Don Quixote. The name Miguel shows up in the story of Don in one prominent place, the cover showing the author's name. So Don's battle sprite implies her 'true' name is Miguel de Cervantes the author of the of Don Quixote.

What gets even more interesting is that in the play 'Man of La Mancha' where the Impossible Dream theme comes from the play starts with Miguel on trial putting on a play with other prisoners. Miguel takes the role of Alonso Quijano the main character of the play who himself takes the role and name of Don Quixote. So that makes an interesting question of who is Limbus's Don. Is she the true Don Quixote a 'knight' fighting for chivalry and ideals? Is she Alonso Quijano someone deluded and mad fighting for an Impossible Dream that never existed? Or is she Miguel de Cervantes putting on a play?

Just feels this 3 way divide will play a huge part in Don's Canto.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

NotteBoy97 posted:

Huh read a post on reddit about Don and how she's basically a soloist in all her identities but what was really interested was that they showed how Don's combat sprite shows a different name on her jacket than her normal portrait sprite. Now this isn't just a Don thing since iirc some other Sinners have off combat sprites but I find it really interesting in combat Don's outfit says Miguel which is radically different from Don Quixote. The name Miguel shows up in the story of Don in one prominent place, the cover showing the author's name. So Don's battle sprite implies her 'true' name is Miguel de Cervantes the author of the of Don Quixote.

What gets even more interesting is that in the play 'Man of La Mancha' where the Impossible Dream theme comes from the play starts with Miguel on trial putting on a play with other prisoners. Miguel takes the role of Alonso Quijano the main character of the play who himself takes the role and name of Don Quixote. So that makes an interesting question of who is Limbus's Don. Is she the true Don Quixote a 'knight' fighting for chivalry and ideals? Is she Alonso Quijano someone deluded and mad fighting for an Impossible Dream that never existed? Or is she Miguel de Cervantes putting on a play?

Just feels this 3 way divide will play a huge part in Don's Canto.
Might be a good idea to actually link the Reddit post in question: https://old.reddit.com/r/limbuscompany/comments/1byabzt/the_uncanny_competence_of_don_quixote_painstaking/ https://old.reddit.com/r/limbuscompany/comments/1bz2mea/hidden_strange_detail_about_don/ (it's one of these two)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

new exp lux after finishing the canto next update so uh hold off on those until then if you've already got a maxed team of some kind

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

uh is anyone else having login issues on android or is it just me

edit: ok after a few more tries and changing networks (maybe it was a connection thing) i was able to get in

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 9, 2024

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yinlock posted:

new exp lux after finishing the canto next update so uh hold off on those until then if you've already got a maxed team of some kind
I'm only doing one exp lux a day until then to hit the dailies, but I'm very excited for the new exp lux tier.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
And here I was, starting to worry that we wouldn't get anything this week :allears:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I don't know what's better, Maid Ryoshu or the chance we see Nelly kick rear end in Part 3. Imagine if she replaces Heathcliff for some part of the story.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The Edgar family Butlers are literally meidos that throw knives at you. There was exactly 0% chance of not getting them as identities.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GilliamYaeger posted:

And here I was, starting to worry that we wouldn't get anything this week :allears:

I wonder if it'll be this week or next since we usually get the lil quote right after an update rather than this late in the week

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
After going over the observation logs, I noticed that when talking about the Peccatulum, Sinclair mentions he had seen the type of gaze of the Lust one before, obviously referring to Kromer. The only other one who mentions something like that is Mersault, who mentions that sinking feeling from the Gloom type makes him remember the past. Guessing his boss will be gloom-based, though I wonder what character it will be.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KobunFan posted:

After going over the observation logs, I noticed that when talking about the Peccatulum, Sinclair mentions he had seen the type of gaze of the Lust one before, obviously referring to Kromer. The only other one who mentions something like that is Mersault, who mentions that sinking feeling from the Gloom type makes him remember the past. Guessing his boss will be gloom-based, though I wonder what character it will be.

it's a notepad containing somewhat unclear instructions

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

KobunFan posted:

I maintain his mother, he's seen something like a distortion before, the Story of The Stranger involves the death of Meursault's Mother, and specifically the trailer for Meursault has an incorrect quote from the novel. "I killed mother today, or perhaps it was yesterday." (The original is Mother died today).

Meursault's Mother being the villain of his canto, or at least the boss, seems highly likely.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Lord_Magmar posted:

I maintain his mother, he's seen something like a distortion before, the Story of The Stranger involves the death of Meursault's Mother, and specifically the trailer for Meursault has an incorrect quote from the novel. "I killed mother today, or perhaps it was yesterday." (The original is Mother died today).

Meursault's Mother being the villain of his canto, or at least the boss, seems highly likely.

To a lesser extent he also notes that Outis shouting at Don and Heathcliff reminds him of how his mother used to scold him, which seems like a bad sign for Madame Salt's temper.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

her being dead would interfere with this somewhat

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yinlock posted:

her being dead would interfere with this somewhat

We're currently experiencing a story where one of the antagonistic forces appears to be a mostly dead woman related to a Sinner's History.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Furthermore we've seen that resonance with the Golden Bough causes one's mental landscape to materialize in reality. X faced alternate versions of himself in Architecture, half of which were antagonistic towards him, and Greg had to face dead war buddies and a giant version of Hermann. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Meursault's memory of his mother come to life as an antagonistic force if his chapter leads to another Bough resonance.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also, she might have only been temporarily dead, Meursault isn't on trial for whatever he did, just believes himself to be judged and chained by the society around him for it.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Happy new Mili song day, everyone!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

Still no new extraction announced, I don't think we're getting her until the next week.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Aumanor posted:

Still no new extraction announced, I don't think we're getting her until the next week.

It is always released on Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Aumanor posted:

Alas. I'll have to make do with the new Mili banger this week, then.