Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The Bible posted:

If the soul were real though there would be no reason it couldn't be proven to exist.

If dragons are reptiles then they'll be crawling with salmonella. There's a reason we typically don't eat reptiles.

Now I'm waiting for someone to post actual reptiles that are eaten.

Chicken is riddled with salmonella and we eat more of them than anything else but we eat 12 times more lizards than fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Chicken is riddled with salmonella and we eat more of them than anything else but we eat 12 times more lizards than fish.

So what kind of delicious reptiles have I been missing out on?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Serve me a dragon meat steak and I will listen to your tales of immortal 3 year olds

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im an indigo child and reimcarnated from space aliens

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
What if you aren't a single soul but and amalgamation of soul dust. You are a small part of Adolf Hitler, a small part of Amelia Earhart, half a cat, 338 earthworms and a cows ear and rear end in a top hat.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

vudan posted:

What if you aren't a single soul but and amalgamation of soul dust. You are a small part of Adolf Hitler, a small part of Amelia Earhart, half a cat, 338 earthworms and a cows ear and rear end in a top hat.

every glass of water you drink has hitlers piss in it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was a poor factory worker, than a poor field worker, than another poor field worker, than once a seamstress, that was nice, than a whole long line of field workers, so on and such.

One glorious time, long ago, I was the Piss Boy!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

:lol: when you find a kid who was raised in complete isolation start talking about who they were in a previous life including social security number, birth date, and last three known addresses get back to me.
After OP dies they should have to log back on to their forums account and post in this thread from their next life in exactly in 3.75 years

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dejan Bimble posted:

People be videotaping their kids doing this in the present day without knowing about this dead mon. It's just going on whether we like it or not.

I get that kids say random poo poo, the viral one of today was a little Mexican girl weeping because she isn't Chinese. But why say verifiable poo poo specifically details from dead strangers lives.

Lots of problems with some central supply of souls due to the ever increasing number of people. Which would imply some people get born without a soul or something? Doesn't make sense. Consciousness is a strange thing. Some people say it's fake. Some people disagree

I always thought a neat plot device for some horror movie or thriller or whatever would be the discovery that there were only ever a few souls to go around that would have to be divided up for the living, and as the human population grew and grew, the integrity of these souls was stretched thinner and thinner to accommodate for every current living human, and it causes a violent descent into some sort of societal decay or hell on earth situation.

But that doesn't really stack up to the fact that people used to burn people alive in front of a town's population for minor poo poo, or that racism was so very, very worse the farther back you go. We got problems, absolutely but the past is always more brutal.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 8, 2024

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m reincarnated from some random guy, but he himself was reincarnated from some guy. You can follow the chain of reincarnations pretty far back, so that’s why I have perfect memory of the dinosaurs just constantly, nonstop loving like rabbits.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The soul must be forged in a cage of flesh then released by death to move onto the next cycle of its growth. This is how it all works, but when you get to the afterlife you have to do a lot of paperwork. It's crazy amounts the younger you die the less paperwork you have to do. Your brain only starts growing once it realizes it has to prepare for doing tons of paperwork. Some brains just don't get it and are really unprepared for the paperwork because something went wrong. Generally, doing the paperwork is what's implanted as your subconscious goal, so at the end of everything you'll at least be able to know enough to get through it, but if you're a baby or something then you don't have to do any paperwork if you're unfortunate enough to go that early, so that's why babies are really dumb and don't know anything, they're still at the state where being smart enough to do paperwork isn't necessary.

Yea good luck praying to your imaginary sky TPS reports

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

or that racism was so very, very worse the farther back you go.

Eh, not really. The age of colonialism and european empire was Peak Racism, which we're still slowly coming down from now. But if you go further back into the medieval and ancient world, racism as we understand it today was much less of a thing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Smugworth posted:

Yea good luck praying to your imaginary sky TPS reports

See now I know this is all bullshit because no way in hell I ever did a shitton of paperwork in any life.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Leaving aside any kind of supernatural stuff, I do think it's illustrative of the fact that in some ways, our brains are wired to be more of like a nexus of behavioral energies, rather than being a fixed individual person.

So we have an ability to fit in with a group, and then maybe later in the same day a totally different group, because we can embody all of these different modes and valences of personhood. IMO it makes total sense why people would interpret this as being previous lives, as a lot of ourselves aren't fully integrated into our sense of self.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what’s the overlap with people believing 3 year olds are recalling past lives with people big into UFOs? it’s gotta be drat near the exact same set of people right?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

what’s the overlap with people believing 3 year olds are recalling past lives with people big into UFOs? it’s gotta be drat near the exact same set of people right?

I'm not sure but it's definitely an overlapping circle of people believing stories of people being "medically dead", especially children, who say for the couple minutes they were "dead" that they saw heaven or hell.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

Maybe the 3 year olds are reincarnations of ancient aliens?

If you can only be reincarnated from being that lived on the same planet, it can't be based on fixed location, since everything in the universe is moving, so the reason must be that the souls must get trapped in the Earth's gravitational field. Therefore, if there were ancient aliens on the Earth who built the pyramids, it stands to reason that their souls are still in circulation on this planet.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Grey Cat posted:

I'm not sure but it's definitely an overlapping circle of people believing stories of people being "medically dead", especially children, who say for the couple minutes they were "dead" that they saw heaven or hell.

when youre such a hater nerd that your venn diagram is also a square

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Grey Cat posted:

There's also an overlapping circle of people who have experienced a supernatural phenomenon and people who believed in it beforehand.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There is definitely a surprising amount of overlap between weird pseudoscientific/new age beliefs that you would normally expect would be mutually incompatible.

I imagine there are a lot of people who believe in both memories of past lives and alien abductions

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

500excf type r posted:

when youre such a hater nerd that your venn diagram is also a square

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Once you’re willing to believe one thing with no evidence you may as well keep going. You’ve already hosed your reality testing so just believe whatever

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I hate hater nerds, if I see a hater nerd Imma slap the poo poo out of em

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Science being unable to explain something is not the center square in bingo. You don't get to just put whatever you want in there.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

My kids never said anything like this. Because they have fresh, brand new souls, not the lovely recycled kind.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

AcidCat posted:

My kids never said anything like this. Because they have fresh, brand new souls, not the lovely recycled kind.

your firstborn was just too embarrassed to tell you they got the hitlersoul, but you’ll find out eventually

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

"No it's cool, I can say it because I was black in a previous life."

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Reincarnated 3 year old making bank via insider trading with knowledge from past life. SEC hates this.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
gold star to whoever came up with the name for this doc series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBSiyVElbU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Reincarnation sounds like a pain in the rear end. Also the children are lying or are being told to talk about that poo poo from adults.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Smugworth posted:

I hate hater nerds, if I see a hater nerd Imma slap the poo poo out of em

You ain’t gonna do drat thing about it, dork.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I always thought a neat plot device for some horror movie or thriller or whatever would be the discovery that there were only ever a few souls to go around that would have to be divided up for the living, and as the human population grew and grew, the integrity of these souls was stretched thinner and thinner to accommodate for every current living human, and it causes a violent descent into some sort of societal decay or hell on earth situation.

But that doesn't really stack up to the fact that people used to burn people alive in front of a town's population for minor poo poo, or that racism was so very, very worse the farther back you go. We got problems, absolutely but the past is always more brutal.

I read a short story once about a person who had just died and woke up in the afterlife, and there's this warm, smiling god figure there that explains to them that they are basically the only soul on earth. They are slowly reincarnating their way through each and every life on earth, jumping around through time, and once they have the life experiences of every person who has ever lived, they will be a god like figure as well, and then wishes them well as they go off to begin the next life. It was a pretty cool little story and I sometimes wish I could find it again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

counterfeitsaint posted:

I read a short story once about a person who had just died and woke up in the afterlife, and there's this warm, smiling god figure there that explains to them that they are basically the only soul on earth. They are slowly reincarnating their way through each and every life on earth, jumping around through time, and once they have the life experiences of every person who has ever lived, they will be a god like figure as well, and then wishes them well as they go off to begin the next life. It was a pretty cool little story and I sometimes wish I could find it again.

Holy poo poo, I've had that exact same thought! I'm no writer, so I guess it didn't matter, but I guess I can't ever use that idea.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Egg, it's short so it gets posted in it's entirety a lot.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
that guy wrote 'the martian' and made a really embarrassing web comic https://galactanet.com/comic/view.php?strip=1

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Obsidian game Pillars of Eternity

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's always kind of telling this sort of magic thought logic is pretty much always Christian-centric, with a splash of vague "orientalism" to make it seem more palatable.

Either that or the Hindus are right and we just keep ignoring all the times kids say "I was a bug!"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

syntaxfunction posted:

It's always kind of telling this sort of magic thought logic is pretty much always Christian-centric, with a splash of vague "orientalism" to make it seem more palatable.

Either that or the Hindus are right and we just keep ignoring all the times kids say "I was a bug!"

When I was like 3 or 4 I used to put a blanket on the floor and pretend I was a joey in a kangaroo pouch. I also used to stuff my shirt with laundry and pretend I was pregnant then walk in the living room and dump it all on the floor saying it was my baby. Or put a pillow in my shirt pretending I was a fat dad. Or I'd roll around like a rolypoly.

This is all irrefutable evidence of my past lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

There's a setting for the TTRPG All Flesh Must Be Eaten that involves the gods going to war and neglecting the reincarnation process, so now souls end up in dead bodies and the result is zombies.