Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Someone should ask ChatGPT what all of these different metrics in all of these different locations having the same dramatic and unprecedented spikes around the start of this year means.

it means unprecedented opportunities for private investment and quarterly growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Someone should ask ChatGPT what all of these different metrics in all of these different locations having the same dramatic and unprecedented spikes around the start of this year means.

I did, it responded with "Check my bio for pussytits I am American and Looking Husband"

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

"While it is a complicated issue, everything's fine." - AI :)

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

As an AI language model, I am physically incapable of giving a poo poo but here’s a neat haiku I hallucinated for you:

Arctic ice melted!
Sea rise like a Mario stage
Def a skill issue

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtaa1aYPEoA

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

another commentary free youtube essay, another screen-cap of the channel thumbnails

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

fwiw that "just have a think" guy is pretty good at both being skeptical of bullshit and diving deep into the details... problem is he's also just boring as gently caress

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
i finished "The Sheep Look Up" today and that is definitely this thread: The Novel (very late plot points spoiled below)

the discounting of corporate influence in politics, the focus on stock prices and profits above any human concerns, the president being a dummy who just says vague platitudes right up until fascism is called for, the focus on individual consumer choices over collective action, the uncontrolled spread of disease with no acknowledgment by the government, the demonizing of direct action, everybody just going to their jobs and trying to get by until it directly affects them. very Children of Men vibes

the scene near the end where the rich guy can't fathom that people just have to live with the consequences of his actions was incredible

also lol when the guy trying to predict the future using computers with millions of dollars, the best programmers, and years of research comes up with "eat the rich" as his solution

then finding out it was published in 1972 and :psyduck:

we knew. we knew so long ago and this is where we ended up

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

godamn lmfao. little too on the nose you know

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Joe Chip posted:

then finding out it was published in 1972 and :psyduck:

we knew. we knew so long ago and this is where we ended up

Frankly we’ve always known, just from mere casual observation of our own behaviors. Most of the Abrahamic religions describe the state of affairs we are in now if you grant them a generous enough interpretation. True believers take that to mean they are prophetic in nature, I chalk it up to the fact that their religious texts have a metric fuckload of :words:, all written about us and our (alleged) history and if you let a human write enough volume you’ll end up with an infinite chimps on type writers situation where the produced result will fit close enough to reality and appear prophetic like a vague horoscope.

Also because it doesn’t require much time at all living in the vicinity of other humans to observe the astounding effect that their forebrains have on their surrounding ecology. A prehistoric animal shepherd watching other people in his village spread disease, attack each other over perceived slights of honor and greed, and turning revolting acts of evil into banality would be equipped with everything he needs to extrapolate what happens if you cover the planet with 8.8 billion of them.

This is the reason it’s annoying when people refer to Orwell’s ”1984” as being prophetic or Orwell himself as personally possessing some special vision of the future. 1984 isn’t a prediction of 1984, it’s a book about 1949 and everything we witnessed being born from the the terrifying organs of the state powers clashing in WWII and the demons humanity unleashed from Pandora’s box in pursuit of emerging ‘victorious’, establishing their hegemony.

Good sci-fi and dystopian fiction isn’t about predicting the future beyond extrapolating the obvious. It’s about finding a way to distill the consequences of our current lifestyle and behaviors into their simplest and most digestible form that can easily be shared with the dumbest of us in the back of the class.

It sounds like your book is a good example of that; thank you for the recommendation, I’m eager to check it out now. Sorry for the rant.

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Apr 8, 2024

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

The novel 1984 is a British bougie bitch writing about how scared he was of being bullied by people with better politics than him. George Orwell was dumb and should have found god instead of being an author and snitch.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Punished Turtle posted:

The novel 1984 is a British bougie bitch writing about how scared he was of being bullied by people with better politics than him. George Orwell was dumb and should have found god instead of being an author and snitch.

yep

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Punished Turtle posted:

I’m probably not educated enough to really understand your criticism if I’m being entirely honest. My choice of example may have been a poor one, in that case

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Ignore_Me posted:

I’m probably not educated enough to really understand your criticism if I’m being entirely honest. My choice of example may have been a poor one, in that case

It’s ok, don’t sweat it. I just became activated by the number 1984. To put it simply, George Orwell was the kind of guy who would not even help clean up the playa after the ‘burn.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

George Orwell, renowned sparkle pony

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Punished Turtle posted:

It’s ok, don’t sweat it. I just became activated by the number 1984. To put it simply, George Orwell was the kind of guy who would not even help clean up the playa after the ‘burn.

oh okay so you’re saying he’s responsible for all the bicycles left behind at burning man

I get where you’re coming from. I could’ve picked a better example, I was only trying to highlight that his descriptions of how a totalitarian state applies the boot to the face is just an extrapolation of the methods western powers were already using to apply their boot to the face at the time by someone who can afford to sit around and write all day to dress it up

maybe Kojima would be the better example for what I’m saying. our man isn’t psychic, he’s just passionate enough to go into enough autistic detail about niche topics for us to all go “dang you’re right” when we look at our current realities through his lense

also he might be slightly psychic idk

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol found out the hard way that every pool in southern spain is closed and probably will remain closed through the summer season because of a “drought”. it rained last week for the first time in six months and the reservoirs are back up to 20%, come on eurocrats let me have a quick dip after my chip butty! i paid good money for this €45 all inclusive package holiday you need my money more than drinking water, just import evian or something

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Found the guy responsible for climate change

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
all those bikes get left at burning man because it is the only bikeable community in the nation. there’s nowhere else you can reasonably use them, and it’s more expensive to store them for 51 weeks than it is to just buy a new one the next year. that’s way more of an indictment of modern society than it is of the residents of black rock city.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

I think if you bring a bike someplace you should take your bike back out with you.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Stereotype posted:

all those bikes get left at burning man because it is the only bikeable community in the nation. there’s nowhere else you can reasonably use them, and it’s more expensive to store them for 51 weeks than it is to just buy a new one the next year. that’s way more of an indictment of modern society than it is of the residents of black rock city.

This is a bit, right?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
and burn all that fuel moving all those bikes around? you must hate the planet

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Single-use bicycles

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*Onion Kelly* "Re-cycle-able"

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Orwell hosed off to a remote island to write novels after turning in communists to British intelligence. his earlier stuff is ok. it is accurate to calm him a snitch. 1984 is an ok book but it isn’t very prophetic, other than the constant surveillance part (lol capitalism made it happen)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
basically anyone who bases their ideology on lessons from that book is likely an idiot

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Stereotype posted:

and burn all that fuel moving all those bikes around? you must hate the planet

Bikes are naturally occuring and just appear fully formed. The only fuel involved is moving them around, so yeah this tracks. You are very smart.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Argentum posted:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/geoengineering-test-quietly-launches-salt-crystals-into-atmosphere/

It is easier for capitalism to block the sun than it is to reduce gas consumption lmao

it's so infuriating to me that the worst Highlander movie is the one that came true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SB3OrIEbs

e: if you haven't seen the movie, and you really shouldn't because it's loving terrible, blocking the sun works but then the atmosphere heals itself on top of the shield and the rest of the movie is Chistopher Lambert trying to destroy the technology he helped create, while also helping a somehow resurrected-from-the-first-movie Sean Connery continue to fight an eternal struggle that was actually fully canonically resolved in the first movie. It's really, really bad and as far as I know is the worst movie Sean Connery was ever in. I'm not sure if it's Christopher Lambert's worst movie, he was in a lot of trash.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 14:00 on Apr 8, 2024

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the weather's gonna cool off a little bit when the moon passes between the earth and the sun later today :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nix Panicus posted:

Bikes are naturally occuring and just appear fully formed. The only fuel involved is moving them around, so yeah this tracks. You are very smart.

Lol

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its more fuel efficient to leave my trash on the ground. I care about the planet.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I never understood all this concern about litter.

Oh no I got my trash onto the roadway. Now it might impact what animals are still alive after we've run them all over

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It's really, really bad and as far as I know is the worst movie Sean Connery was ever in.

Connery was in the league of extraordinary gentlemen

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harold Fjord posted:

I never understood all this concern about litter.

Oh no I got my trash onto the roadway. Now it might impact what animals are still alive after we've run them all over

ok trashy tony

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

as far as I know is the worst movie Sean Connery was ever in.

The Protagonist posted:

Connery was in the league of extraordinary gentlemen

Might I suggest Sir Billi AKA Guardian of the Highlands?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i think connery was in outland which was stunningly mediocre

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI06dqo1Alg

Dark Storm Go!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

ok trashy tony

What's wrong? Would the environment be happier if I personally made better choices? Sounds lib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007