Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

verbal enema posted:

How about a Pathfinder videogame thread

Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous specifically?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869934

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Unicorn Overlord has reached half a million worldwide sales, holy crap

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a really fun game. It's too easy on the hardest setting, but such a good system you can get over it. I really hope it sparks inspiration in other games. Feels so much more like commanding an army when you're issuing orders and drills to your squads over micromanaging every move each unit makes.

Even other tactical games in the Advance Wars / FFT vein could use some of UO approach, like fast forwarding battles or skipping anima instead of just unilaterally turning them off. There's also a potential reason to see the combat besides the results, to see if you need to tweak your squads tactics.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I want this outfit for Marisa in SF6

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unicorn Overlord is goty

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Calling it in April. I will be very surprised if it doesn't top my list in december

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Current goty is Balatro, then Helldivers 2, followed by Dragon's Dogma 2, and hopefully first place is replaced by Homeworld 3

P good year for gamin' so far

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ff7R1 was #2 of its year, R2 will probably also be top 5 at least

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RBA Starblade posted:

Current goty is Balatro, then Helldivers 2, followed by Dragon's Dogma 2, and hopefully first place is replaced by Homeworld 3

not even mentioning FF7 Rebirth lol. cmon son

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I think we are going to be disappointed by Homeworld 3. My prediction is the game will be awesome, but need a ton of updates and fixes at launch. It's going to be really buggy and broken. Still buying it day one though, I love Homeworld.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barring any huge surprises Rebirth is my easy #1, but #2 is going to be a real competition.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is Princess Peach: Showtime! erasure

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Invictus posted:

not even mentioning FF7 Rebirth lol. cmon son

More like FF 7/100 Rebirth gottem

I said come in! posted:

I think we are going to be disappointed by Homeworld 3. My prediction is the game will be awesome, but need a ton of updates and fixes at launch. It's going to be really buggy and broken. Still buying it day one though, I love Homeworld.

I really enjoyed the demo but that last update saying things like attack move were still in progress at the time of its release, with the actual game release slated for a couple weeks after raised a lot of alarms for me lol. I'm hopeful though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My favorite games of the year so far:
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth
Unicorn Overlord
Dragon's Dogma 2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I really enjoyed the demo but that last update saying things like attack move were still in progress at the time of its release, with the actual game release slated for a couple weeks after raised a lot of alarms for me lol. I'm hopeful though

Exactly, everything about this tells me to keep my expectations way in check. Its been delayed so much, indicating poor management, time in development won't fix the problems basically. But I also have faith that the devs will be addressing all of this post launch. Ready to enjoy the story campaign, and then multiplayer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I’ve played so far that will definitely get a vote is Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. Year ain’t over yet tho

e: and Opus Magnum, but I don’t think anyone else will vote for a hardcore puzzle game from seven years ago

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 8, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Balatro is the only game released this year that I like. I really don't see anything interesting on the calendar coming up either except Elden Ring DLC and SMTVengeance

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I keep installing games that I want to play, and then just playing Slice & Dice on my phone for hours

help me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Helldivers + Balatro def going to be super high on my list this year.
At least one Castlevania game is going to make it in for sure.

Actually enjoying PUBG atm as well, as some mates have been getting into it.
God it has some obvious as gently caress hackers in it when you watch replays to do reports.

Considering giving Escape from Tarkov based on a mates recommendation, and a slower paced war game might be interesting.

I've also stopped playing Tears of the Kingdom.. fusion gameplay comes off as a gimmick, and I find it too open ended with the Depths+Sky. It's all definitely Fun, but a more focused experience would have been better.
Thematically it's amazing, but the gameplay loop is just 'fine'; which is disappointing for me.

haveblue posted:

The only thing I’ve played so far that will definitely get a vote is Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. Year ain’t over yet tho

Lost Crown is really really good. Starts off a bit rough, but it's got some amazing locales. Particularly the lower right area

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/1777148697509327301

justin wong is not allowed to escape his canon event, even when he does it just pulls him back in

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cheetah7071 posted:

Unicorn Overlord is goty

It's so good

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I am grateful that my approach to the Pursuer in DS2 (Darmored Score 2) was to learn to parry him with my rapier, because holy poo poo, you fight this guy SO many times. It is very gratifying to just perfect parry him into oblivion every time. Get hosed, Pursuer.

I am enjoying this game quite a lot, because it is Dark Souls, but I'm annoyed at the extremely weird distribution of petrified people and Pharros' Lockstone doors. Idk who thought it would be a good idea to give you a pretty rare item, and like 20 things to use it on, 17 of which are just a random enemy or a treasure chest with 10 bolts in it, and the other 3 of which are, like, entire areas of the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/1777148697509327301

justin wong is not allowed to escape his canon event, even when he does it just pulls him back in

Ping Crimson

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I am fully absorbed by Outpost Infinity Siege now that it has a few patches under its belt, it hits the roguelite run-based itch while also satisfying the same sort of creative and optimization impulses that I normally reserve for customizing mechs in Battletech.

I do not expect it to even reach the top 50 of the 2024 goty thread, being essentially a wildly ambitious eurojank game except chinese.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Runa posted:

Outpost Infinity Siege

I loaded up the Steam page, looked at the screenshots, watched the videos, and I still have no idea what this game is.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Helldivers 2 + Balatro are already clear GotYs for me, I have a couple of others, but I either haven't played them enough to really justify their place or they're never going to make anybody's lists but mine.

Runa posted:

I am fully absorbed by Outpost Infinity Siege now that it has a few patches under its belt, it hits the roguelite run-based itch while also satisfying the same sort of creative and optimization impulses that I normally reserve for customizing mechs in Battletech.

I do not expect it to even reach the top 50 of the 2024 goty thread, being essentially a wildly ambitious eurojank game except chinese.

This is exactly the sort of janky game that I love, and would probably slam my face into it if I didn't have so much else on my plate right now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

xoFcitcrA posted:

I loaded up the Steam page, looked at the screenshots, watched the videos, and I still have no idea what this game is.

That's normal

It's a weird run-based (as in the way roguelites are run-based) tower defense + stalker hybrid where you design your mobile tower defense base, go around a map, collecting resources and perks, then when you reach the end of the run you do a wave defense battle using that base.

You can get pretty creative with your outpost too. I designed mine around the concept of a mech-carrier warship in the style of the ships from Gundam, to take advantage of the fact that you can remote launch mechs out of the hangar and they will boost out at max speed.

The mechs themselves are somewhere between Titanfall titans and Armored Cores in mobility.

That said, while there's an abundance of ambition this game has none polish.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Runa posted:

That's normal

It's a weird run-based (as in the way roguelites are run-based) tower defense + stalker hybrid where you design your mobile tower defense base, go around a map, collecting resources and perks, then when you reach the end of the run you do a wave defense battle using that base.

You can get pretty creative with your outpost too. I designed mine around the concept of a mech-carrier warship in the style of the ships from Gundam, to take advantage of the fact that you can remote launch mechs out of the hangar and they will boost out at max speed.

The mechs themselves are somewhere between Titanfall titans and Armored Cores in mobility.

That said, while there's an abundance of ambition this game has none polish.

This looks sick as hell...the mixed reviews on steam though are giving me some pause but I might pick it up anyways.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This looks sick as hell...the mixed reviews on steam though are giving me some pause but I might pick it up anyways.

It's mixed because it launched in a terrible state with like a thousand negative reviews. It's almost balanced out with a lot of positive reviews following nearly daily patches, but the game really earned its initial response.

I was about to write it off until I realized like three patches went out in the span of time between release and when I took a second look.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Never play a video game on release. Wait at least 5 years for the patches to settle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Playing them at release when not everything has been figured out is great. You just have to be prepared for a rough launch, if weird performance and bugs or unpolished designs but you then you gotta walk the patience path instead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Never play a video game

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Wii U and 3DS online service is now dead. There's a few stragglers hanging on, but trying to connect either gets a message that the servers are under maintenance, or that the service is discontinued.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
RIP kid icarus online

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Runa posted:

It's mixed because it launched in a terrible state with like a thousand negative reviews. It's almost balanced out with a lot of positive reviews following nearly daily patches, but the game really earned its initial response.

I was about to write it off until I realized like three patches went out in the span of time between release and when I took a second look.

I'm like 20mins in and its crazy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hell yea another gamepass banger

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Steambot Chronicles is very fun, and a good game to be able to just Do A Quick Sesh in

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Waffleman_ posted:

Steambot Chronicles is very fun, and a good game to be able to just Do A Quick Sesh in

Just PS2 emulation, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's to a state where it plays completely fine if you're on software rendering.

I think the performance is also fine on hardware, but it removes a lot of visual effects.