Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

LazyMaybe posted:

really this is a very optimistic outlook considering how few people saw that flick. blessed be 99.99% of human beings, those lucky bastards

'Tis a heavy burden the .01% carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Burnt_toastist posted:

To the goon who recommended a blind watch of "Miracle Mile" on tubi, thank you. I had an excellent time.

Glad to hear it, more people should do as I say.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Kevin Smtih is like the living avatar of that lazy GenZ attitude that it doesn’t matter if it sucks, and isn’t worth even learning how to do it well, so long as you’re doing what you like and having fun with your friends. On the one hand, good on him for making it work out. On the other hand, I wish he would stop inflicting his stoner rambling half baked ideas on us.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

poisonpill posted:

Kevin Smtih is like the living avatar of that lazy GenZ attitude that it doesn’t matter if it sucks, and isn’t worth even learning how to do it well, so long as you’re doing what you like and having fun with your friends. On the one hand, good on him for making it work out. On the other hand, I wish he would stop inflicting his stoner rambling half baked ideas on us.

Before they got rebranded to "your chud parents", gen x was supposed to be the "cool kids who just want to hang out" generation.

There were a million articles written in the 90s about how movies like Clerks showed that gen x slackers were going to change everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1777347164672573774?t=hwiUqWXPqlDI6iz9m9Vzyg&s=19

That sounds like it could be amazing.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
tentatively titled My Anus is Bleeding

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I definitely loved clerks 2 when I was 20.

I want to murder my 20 year old self

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Weembles posted:

Before they got rebranded to "your chud parents", gen x was supposed to be the "cool kids who just want to hang out" generation.

There were a million articles written in the 90s about how movies like Clerks showed that gen x slackers were going to change everything.

It has been enlightening and surreal to be on the very cusp of Gen X / Millennial, because I was just old enough to be aware of all the "everything is different with this generation" media coverage about Gen X in the early 90s, then was around to see essentially the exact same poo poo happen with the Millennials two decades later. And now I'm already starting to see the early rumblings of it starting to pop up for the Zoomers. (Also, at this point if you're on TikTok you'll already encounter folks who use "millennial" as a synonym for "cringy suburban mom".)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Kevin Smith fell off in a weird way. I was a preteen when Clerks came out, so that probably colors my initial opinion of him, but I thought he made fun movies for quite a while. Sometime in the mid 00s he started making stuff that more often than not wasn't for me, but around Yoga Hosers he completely lost it. It now all comes off like religious entertainment, which is bad in its own specific way where the creators and viewers are off in their own little bubble of reality and the point of the entertainment is to continually affirm the ideals of the community. Is he basically just making digestible pink slime for Smodcast weirdos at this point? What the hell ideals do they have?

The future is full of the lamest cults, I swear to god.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the generation of kids for whom school is optional and tiktok is mandatory really will change things. Most of their lives have been soaked in simulations increasingly unmoored from the tenuous reality they once represented. The changes won't be the good ones everyone has all known we needed since we were kids, but they will be changes.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Probably the most insightful thing Smith did for cinema was to show was a "nerd" actually was. Before Clerks (and really, even a bit afterwards), the "nerd" character was like something out of Revenge of the Nerds: just this complete cartoon caricature. When in reality, actual "nerds" in the 80s and 90s were guys like Randal and Dante (and like Smith himself). It was a genuine insight into the culture that Hollywood had completely missed for a long time.

The problem was that Smith essentially lost touch with the culture the moment he got famous. He didn't grow up because he didn't have to, and so he lost the ability to create characters that were any more mature than Randal or Dante (or Holden from Chasing Amy).

I remember seeing Chasing Amy when it was in theaters, and came away from it thinking that Smith was growing as an artist. Holden was an immature idiot like Randal or Dante (or everyone in Mallrats), but in the end the movie really clearly chastises him for his immaturity and tells him he needs to grow the gently caress up. So I was genuinely pumped to see Dogma when it came out...and was massively let down. Suddenly you've got thousand-year-old prophets and timeless angels and divine spirits and every single one of them talks like a dumb twenty-something from Jersey. The whole thing showed how Smith couldn't escape his extremely narrow worldview.

Then after that we had Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, which was basically Smith disappearing up his own rear end in a top hat.

I remember a critic pointing this out, and it really hits the nail on the head: You can see how much Smith had lost touch with the actual world when he had Randal & Dante both working at a fast food restaurant in Clerks II. Like, if you knew guys like that who were aimless in their early 20s with dead-end clerk jobs, you'd know a decade later they'd probably be doing dead end low-level office work (especially in the early-00s). But Smith clearly hadn't had anyone in his social circle who had a real job in over a decade, so he couldn't imagine anything but a fast food gig.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Boomers are Joshes
Gen Xers are Mikes
Millenials are Jays
Zoomers are Jacks

We need the Rich Evans generation to save us.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Red State was Kevin Smith, yeah? That was ok I guess.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mega64 posted:

Boomers are Joshes
Gen Xers are Mikes
Millenials are Jays
Zoomers are Jacks

We need the Rich Evans generation to save us.

Rich Evans will do a guest voice on Skibidi Toilet and Generation Alpha (final name tbd) will rise up to rule us all.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Rich Evans cannot be defined.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was never a big movie guy when I was younger, and while I know I saw both Clerks and Chasing Amy, I don't remember thinking anything about either of them positively or negatively. I do remember liking Dogma, which upon more recent viewing is kind of embarrassing.

I associate Kevin Smith with being a part of that same media worshiping phase of internet nerdery that Wil Wheaton was in. Having a podcast/youtube channel where he openly cries and talks about how the latest comic book trash has "all the feels" and then names his poor kid Harley Quinn. I also remember in the early days of Twitter some airline charged his (at the time) fat rear end for two tickets and he had a very public meltdown about it. I don't know why Kevin Smith was flying on a commercial airline that late into his career but there it is.

So, after all that, not exactly a fan.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

I remember a critic pointing this out, and it really hits the nail on the head: You can see how much Smith had lost touch with the actual world when he had Randal & Dante both working at a fast food restaurant in Clerks II. Like, if you knew guys like that who were aimless in their early 20s with dead-end clerk jobs, you'd know a decade later they'd probably be doing dead end low-level office work (especially in the early-00s). But Smith clearly hadn't had anyone in his social circle who had a real job in over a decade, so he couldn't imagine anything but a fast food gig.

Haha at the time I figured he just really thought his fast food parody was too good to leave in the background, but it didn't really work with how they goof off. It worked in the previous setting because it was a dying business requiring minimal work and zero supervision. Fast food is a constantly churning mass feeding machine, less amenable to their shenanigans. Probably would've worked in an workaholic way have them in lovely call centers or something.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I only watched like fifteen minutes of that Jay and silent Bob sequel but it seriously looked like it was just filmed with whatever phone Kevin Smith had in his pocket at the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I also dipped out of it, not even funny to try and describe how bad it was. Just something you should never watch.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Kevin Smith is kinda like Joss Whedon, where early on his schtick felt fresh and interesting but it wore out its welcome and it wore it out HARD.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
People like Joss Whedon, Failson Landis are worse than Kevin Smith. At least KS has 1-2 movies I can recommend. Chase Amy, it's an okay flick.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
jay and silent bob reboot is so bad it's actually evil, it's like yellow king or the movie from carpenter's cigarette burns level

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

kevin smith has absolutely refused to change and i respect that. i think

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

People obsess on Smith so much it's wild. He's not even making movies you have to know about because they are blockbusters, you can just ignore him if you don't like him.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

If Kevin Smith was 10 years younger, he would have been The Nostalgia Critic.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

kdrudy posted:

People obsess on Smith so much it's wild. He's not even making movies you have to know about because they are blockbusters, you can just ignore him if you don't like him.

which proves kevin smith > star wars

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

LanceHunter posted:

If Kevin Smith was 10 years younger, he would have been The Nostalgia Critic.

anyone down for a triple feature of nostalgia critic's the wall, jay and silent bob reboot and inAPPropriate comedy by the shamwow guy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Who is the Kevin Smith for the next generations?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Khanstant posted:

Who is the Kevin Smith for the next generations?

Some rear end in a top hat on TikTok

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I do think it's funny Smith admitted in his after watch podcast that he didn't make the connection between Kylo Ren's name being Ben and Ben Kenobi while watching Force Awakens. Just missing probably the only emotionally resonant moment in the entire sequel trilogy lol

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
if only they did proper foreshadowing and called him kenlo renobi

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Han Solo steps out onto the narrow metal bridge and shouts the name of his son:

“Ben! Ben Solo! Whom I your father and Leia your mother named after Obi Wan Kenobi’s pseudonym, a man that neither of us knew for very long but had a great positive impact on our lives!”

Kevin Smith staring at the screen while also thinking about crying about a Superman he read in the lobby before the film:

“Huh so that’s Kylo’s real name”

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I do think it's funny Smith admitted in his after watch podcast that he didn't make the connection between Kylo Ren's name being Ben and Ben Kenobi while watching Force Awakens. Just missing probably the only emotionally resonant moment in the entire sequel trilogy lol

I didn't make the connection in episode 1 that the guy in the robe telling the bad guys what to do was also the senator from naboo. But I was 10 years old

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I just checked cause I wasn't sure but the last Kevin Smith movie I saw was Dogma when it was in CINEMAS. I FEEL SO SMUG RIGHT NOW.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Pac and Cheese posted:

anyone down for a triple feature of nostalgia critic's the wall, jay and silent bob reboot and inAPPropriate comedy by the shamwow guy

Literally no one on planet earth, living or dead, is down for this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I never realized Ben Solo was named after Obiwan either, because that's incredibly stupid. To Hans he was a weird old dude that hired him once and then died. He never even heard the name Ben Kenobi until long after he was dead and Leia mentioned in passing once I'd imagine. If Leia wants to name her kid after this old general dude her dad worked with, why not name him Obiwan? I feel like this revelation only confirms that Obiwan is an embarrassing stupid name not only in real life, but in the Star Wars universe as well.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
boy i never get tired of "star wars should have been written better instead of written badly" posts my loving favborite

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You have to remember that in disney obi wan and leia went on (perhaps countless) adventures together before a new hope. Don't get me wrong that is definitely very stupid but it does give some more context to ben ren

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

dreezy posted:

boy i never get tired of "star wars should have been written better instead of written badly" posts my loving favborite

okay but what if it was a different kind of bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

okay but what if it was a different kind of bad?

Dreaming of the world where Star Wars went full David DeCoteau “shirtless twinks wandering around aimlessly” somewhere around episode 2.