Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

After avoiding the crash on extract bug, I've just had it twice in a row. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I got shot with blue beams in a bot match a few weeks ago and I am 100% a believer.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Its kinda a joke how much better the quasar laser rocket launcher is than pretty much anything else... Like the only thing maybe better is actual teamwork with a friendly loading a recoiless for you or something...

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Blue beams are just meteor showers, anyone who tells you otherwise has been huffing too many stims while on leave.

Kwolok posted:

Its kinda a joke how much better the quasar laser rocket launcher is than pretty much anything else... Like the only thing maybe better is actual teamwork with a friendly loading a recoiless for you or something...

I actually think it's pretty well balanced and has good tradeoffs. RR has a slightly higher fire rate, but you need to stay still to load it; Quasar is slightly slower but gets passive reload; and EAT lets you fire off two (three if you stick the beacon) shots in quick succession, which is often valuable on higher difficulties. They've done a reasonably good job of making all the AT stuff viable for different play styles. I wish they would let you buddy reload someone from their own backpack but maybe that would be too strong.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Slightly higher fire rate is a bit much to pay for a backpack slot.

Especially when that slightly higher fire rate assumes you instantly reload after firing, which means sitting in place with a useless gun out. Meanwhile the Quasars fire rate never changes because it passively reloads. That really is what makes it so powerful. Even if it had the RRs ammo count instead of infinite ammo I think it would still be strong.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Blue beams are just meteor showers, anyone who tells you otherwise has been huffing too many stims while on leave.

I actually think it's pretty well balanced and has good tradeoffs. RR has a slightly higher fire rate, but you need to stay still to load it; Quasar is slightly slower but gets passive reload; and EAT lets you fire off two (three if you stick the beacon) shots in quick succession, which is often valuable on higher difficulties. They've done a reasonably good job of making all the AT stuff viable for different play styles. I wish they would let you buddy reload someone from their own backpack but maybe that would be too strong.

The attack wind up is killer too on stuff that is actually booking it toward you.

I almost never bring a beam dog or personal shield anyways so I also tend not to care about the backpack stuff.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
How's the flamethrower vs chargers? I haven't tried the flamethrower since the buffs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

How's the flamethrower vs chargers? I haven't tried the flamethrower since the buffs.

It’s good but counter intuitive. You still want to focus on a leg with it instead of the body / head.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Everyone should bring impact grenades, a stalwart (max ROF) and a supply pack at some point in their life

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you can focus on one leg flamethrower kills a charger in a third of one tank or less.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s good but counter intuitive. You still want to focus on a leg with it instead of the body / head.

Sindai posted:

If you can focus on one leg flamethrower kills a charger in a third of one tank or less.

Interesting, I would have thought that the flamethrower would have did overall hp damage and not specific limb damage.

Hope the new armor has fire protection on it, I do want to give a Pyro build a chance.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Being able to fire without the charge up and fire multiple for burst damage means I'll still pick EATs if there's not too much ion storm/strategem fuckery. I also like being able to run wharever supports weapons I find in the field like I stole them and then just call down more EATs later, usually on top of a bug hole or fabricator.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mesadoram posted:

Interesting, I would have thought that the flamethrower would have did overall hp damage and not specific limb damage.

Hope the new armor has fire protection on it, I do want to give a Pyro build a chance.

It seems to really really matter where the stream directly hits.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Forgot about Quasar wind up too, yeah. Sucks to have a charger bearing down on you and miss your shot because one of the tiny fuckers staggers you at the last second. I did like Quasar more on bots than bugs. Too bad the bots are dead and never ever coming back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BitBasher posted:

It seems to really really matter where the stream directly hits.

"Doesn't seem to in our house!" said the exasperated mother of three sons.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Forgot about Quasar wind up too, yeah. Sucks to have a charger bearing down on you and miss your shot because one of the tiny fuckers staggers you at the last second. I did like Quasar more on bots than bugs. Too bad the bots are dead and never ever coming back.

Quasar was tailor-made for the bots (rip 5eva), like the grenade launcher is tailor-made for the bugs.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

The democratic detonation armors are eng kit x2 (light/med) and fortified (on heavy).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

jokes posted:

Everyone should bring impact grenades, a stalwart (max ROF) and a supply pack at some point in their life

Impacts rule, and I still adore the Stalwart because gun go brrr. It's a buzzsaw that carves through stuff. Could it carve a little faster? Maybe, but I have the time and just holding down the trigger until the bug is a pile of constituent parts is so satisfying.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've discovered that using EATs is the best way for you to destroy large enemies while farting around with a support weapon because you call down the EATs only when you're going to use them and then grab your normal support weapon. Too many people treat the EATs like a normal support weapon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

jokes posted:

I've discovered that using EATs is the best way for you to destroy large enemies while farting around with a support weapon because you call down the EATs only when you're going to use them and then grab your normal support weapon. Too many people treat the EATs like a normal support weapon.

Yeah but then you're using two strat slots for guns

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The EAT is a low-cooldown stratagem dedicated to taking out large enemies. In the cooldown time for one orbital rail strike you can get 4 EATs instead.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jokes posted:

I don’t think they respawn you can just call them nonstop and litter the map with rockets. If you break the pod they come in they show up on the mini map

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah but then you're using two strat slots for guns

I don't even bring airstrikes any more

MMG, EAT, Supply Pack, HMG Emplacement. brrrrrrrt

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

jokes posted:

The EAT is a low-cooldown stratagem dedicated to taking out large enemies. In the cooldown time for one orbital rail strike you can get 4 EATs instead.

This is the way.

But you also haven't lived until you pick up an eat and end up having your main weapon get swarmed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yesterday I was going toe to toe with a Bile Titan and fired my Quasar, picked up an EAT and fired it, then picked my Quasar back up and got the kill. It was pretty dope.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Tommy the Newt posted:

I think if they had some kind of simulator mode where you could dial in a mission of your choosing it would solve the problem for me - make it so I can't earn currency doing simulator missions to encourage people to participate in the war, but leave a door open for people who want to helldive off-piste.

Look. You already had an extremely comprehensive training to be a helldiver. Now you want a battle simulator? Sounds like a frivolous and undemocratic expense. Please report to your democracy officer for re-education.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

tokenbrownguy posted:

HMG Emplacement. brrrrrrrt

I tried the HMG Emplacement and it's basically two rapid-firing Anti Material Rifles taped together, it's phenomenal if you can get it down quickly and pointed at the right area and have somebody to bop the Elites. It's not easy to do that but if you can....

Plus I never had a single enemy attack them when unoccupied, so you can throw it out if you're passing by Extraction or w/e and it will be there later.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

jokes posted:

Why not take both? My all-around loadout for bugs (when you have all four slots) is Scorcher with EAT, Laser Dog, Railcannon, and Airstrike. You can address pretty much every threat and don't need to worry about running back for a big gun. Running around with an EAT on your back also alleviates cooldown modifiers.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

The sheer volume of chargers and titans mean I prefer Quasar for bugs to be honest. Shooting down bot dropships is cinematic and cool but the results are inconsistent and I'm not totally convinced of the value of it versus just shooting the bots. An AMR will kill hulks and groups of devastators much faster. Quasar isn't bad for bots but it would not be my priority pick.

The wind up time is not that bad for bugs and I think people underplay the impracticality of having to call in and scramble around for EATs in the middle of a fracas. 'I struggle to find space for a 3 second charge window but I can dial a stratagem, find a practical drop point, run to the drop, take EAT and wait for the ready animation etc etc.'? I dunno. Knowing charger animations and judging the range you can successfully get a shot off gets easier over time. The quasar also can't get blocked off by other enemies in the way an EAT drop can.

EATs are definitely a better choice only if you want to carry another support weapon as well, imo, which is a good reason and secures them a fairly solid place in many sensible loadouts. Recoilless is harder to argue the case for.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I tried the HMG Emplacement and it's basically two rapid-firing Anti Material Rifles taped together, it's phenomenal if you can get it down quickly and pointed at the right area and have somebody to bop the Elites. It's not easy to do that but if you can....

Plus I never had a single enemy attack them when unoccupied, so you can throw it out if you're passing by Extraction or w/e and it will be there later.

they rule against flying bugs and the new gunships too!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dinosaurs! posted:

Why not take both? My all-around loadout for bugs (when you have all four slots) is Scorcher with EAT, Laser Dog, Railcannon, and Airstrike. You can address pretty much every threat and don't need to worry about running back for a big gun. Running around with an EAT on your back also alleviates cooldown modifiers.

Because then you don't get a fun support weapon! I loving love the Stalwart.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I almost never bring a beam dog or personal shield anyways so I also tend not to care about the backpack stuff.

The best defense is a strong offense. Light armor, no shields, no drones, and all the biggest guns and explosions. Erryday

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also the Gatling sentry is fantastic against the flying bugs and when you get a few of them down at the same time it looks like a WW2 air raid

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don’t think they respawn you can just call them nonstop and litter the map with rockets. If you break the pod they come in they show up on the mini map

This is the way. Every time EATs come off cooldown I call in another. I’m currently rocking light armour with the throw distance bonus and I pitch them as far ahead of me as I can in case I need it when it lands. If not, it’s another toy for the journey back.

Basically always be dropping EATs, someone will use them.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly too, I find it easier to just run normally to where an EAT is even under fairly heavy combat than to find three second unmolsted to charge a quasar while moving like a barge.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

That day where they had free EATs for everyone was fun, we filled the extract with so many support pods.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Parkingtigers posted:

This is the way. Every time EATs come off cooldown I call in another. I’m currently rocking light armour with the throw distance bonus and I pitch them as far ahead of me as I can in case I need it when it lands. If not, it’s another toy for the journey back.

Basically always be dropping EATs, someone will use them.

The most disappointing thing is when you call down a pair of EATs, but no one picks up the second one.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cactrot posted:

The most disappointing thing is when you call down a pair of EATs, but no one picks up the second one.

Most players already have a support item, good thing to do is pick up yours then break the container so it leaves the EAT icon on the map. I tend to just leave them there and I will grab em if I need it but otherwise its nice to know its there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The problem with the EAT is that it's legit too good and I expect they'll turn it down at some point. Probably slightly decrease the cooldown but only one gets called in.

tokenbrownguy posted:

they rule against flying bugs and the new gunships too!

Yeah they do. Really only Tanks, Hulks, Chargers and Bile Titans can stand up to them for any length of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I save time (well, ammo, probably) by picking up both EATs out of the pod instead of breaking it.

It also has the fun side effect of bugging the equip animation and I wield the thing behind my head :v: