Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems that ungrouping taskbar icons came back to Win11 at some stage. Finally. I have a 4K monitor and a wide rear end taskbar, it is a million times easier to switch between tasks with just one click.

Now if I figured out how to convince Windows to believe I live in Finland and let me apply the EU mandated changes like uninstalling Edge, without reinstalling Windows. I wish Micorosft just bought those changes for everyone instead of being a petty piece of poo poo they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I tried to use the built in mail app in windows 11, it promptly informed me that now we're going back to Outlook. So I thought "well there's probably a good reason for this, maybe they finally made outlook not the worst app of all time".

It's still the worst app of all time, except slower and buggier plus it apparently wants you to pay for it. How many copies of Outlook has windows sold to consumers I'm curious.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's so bad that I've just gone back to having a Gmail tab open in Firefox while using my PC. The Mail app was perfectly functional too :sigh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I tried the new web-app style Outlook on my work computer and it's truly awful. I can't put my finger on exactly what they did, but the text rendering and colors in dark mode make it unpleasant and tiring to look at compared to the traditional app.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. Free, open source, works well.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Vic posted:

I'm tempted to say the same thing about Linux, but it would feel like unhelpful nerd chest-beating ITT, so I won't.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pick two

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

It's so bad that I've just gone back to having a Gmail tab open in Firefox while using my PC. The Mail app was perfectly functional too :sigh:

Does Gmail install as an app? With Vivaldi I can right click some tabs like Yotube Music or Fastmail and it installs a desktop like app which seem to work just fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been using Edge to create a Fastmail app for a while and it's great. Firefox doesn't do the webpage-to-app thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

Does Gmail install as an app? With Vivaldi I can right click some tabs like Yotube Music or Fastmail and it installs a desktop like app which seem to work just fine.

sure. but that's just a browser window without the browser toolbars, it's no better or worse than a tab

I would guess that what people liked about the Windows Mail app is that it locally stores copies of emails, which makes it faster.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

sure. but that's just a browser window without the browser toolbars, it's no better or worse than a tab

I would guess that what people liked about the Windows Mail app is that it locally stores copies of emails, which makes it faster.

If you "install" with Chrome or Edge, it's a little more sophisticated than that, because you get a Progressive Web App. This uses a special web worker to serve fetch() calls, and (one presumes) makes some smart decisions about caching content that is infrequently updated. I believe the Gmail PWA caches the application itself along with some subset of your inbox: probably metadata so that it can quickly render message lists.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that, JavaScript engine aside, the Gmail app caches roughly the same amount of stuff as Outlook, and will be about as performant.

Mozilla actually invented this technology, I believe to support the mobile (phone) operating system they were working on. They sold that OS off: it's now called "KaiOS" and is used by Nokia-branded phones, among others. KaiOS does not really use PWAs, although they use something very similar. Mozilla has since stopped supporting PWAs, which in my opinion is a real shame.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 8, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vic posted:

It's alright, looks like poo poo & kinda runs like rear end sometimes though. Seems to have performance issues around changing things like filters & tags that make it just *slightly* annoying to use at times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Thunderbird doesn't support 365/exchange without a paid plugin, which sucks

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God but blu-rays are a loving mess on 11.

I want to watch and rip blu-rays since streaming services remove things a lot and you need to put major quotes around digital "purchases". Except there's no blu-ray playback in Windows 11. A lot of the free apps on the Windows store seem to review poorly due to bugged playback, MakeMKV is fifty four loving pounds after a free trial, and PowerDVD requires an account before it'll play a single loving thing.

Eventually I got playback and ripping working in VLC by following an old guide from Windows 8 days, involving two files on a series of plain text websites that have to be put in specific folders, and even then I have to select the film manually because VLC keeps telling me I don't have Java installed for the blu-ray menus and the solution makes me not want to bother trying to fix it.

We should have stopped making things when the new millenium hit, everything's bad and the solutions are already written in the ancient tomes of Web 1.0.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I want to watch and rip blu-rays since streaming services remove things a lot and you need to put major quotes around digital "purchases". Except there's no blu-ray playback in Windows 11. A lot of the free apps on the Windows store seem to review poorly due to bugged playback, MakeMKV is fifty four loving pounds after a free trial, and PowerDVD requires an account before it'll play a single loving thing.

Eventually I got playback and ripping working in VLC by following an old guide from Windows 8 days, involving two files on a series of plain text websites that have to be put in specific folders, and even then I have to select the film manually because VLC keeps telling me I don't have Java installed for the blu-ray menus and the solution makes me not want to bother trying to fix it.

We should have stopped making things when the new millenium hit, everything's bad and the solutions are already written in the ancient tomes of Web 1.0.

if you're okay with ripping discs, makemkv will do all you need. If you want to watch though powerdvd is the only real solution at this point.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you just want to watch then put them in a PlayStation

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Unless it changed recently, MakeMKV is perpetually in beta and will always be able to be used for free provided you grab the trial key that is updated monthly on their forums https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I managed to miss that the key was still being updated, so that's neat. VLC works great for both playback and ripping now that I have the right files so I'll probably stick with that for now.

It's still amazing that those are the best solutions if you don't want to have to make a loving user account to watch your own movie collection.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 9, 2024

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I managed to miss that the key was still being updated, so that's neat. VLC works great for both playback and ripping now that I have the right files so I'll probably stick with that for now.

It's still amazing that those are the best solutions if you don't want to have to make a loving user account to watch your own movie collection.

:filez:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I ended up buying MakeMKV since I use it quite a bit these days

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

From what I've been told that's not a problem specific to Windows. Blu-rays are just like that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s a rule that no software will ever be capable of reliably playing videos

*plex crashes trying to play an episode of sesame street*

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wash bucket posted:

From what I've been told that's not a problem specific to Windows. Blu-rays are just like that.

there's straight up no official way to watch 4K blurays on a newer PC because the only sanctioned implementation required intel SGX and intel stopped putting that on their newer processors, and AMD never had it in the first place

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

repiv posted:

there's straight up no official way to watch 4K blurays on a newer PC because the only sanctioned implementation required intel SGX and intel stopped putting that on their newer processors, and AMD never had it in the first place

Guess all those turbo nerds will have to upgrade to ultra hd blu-ray. How else would someone who spends their free time on the computer watch a movie? :smug:

Edit: Hold up. I just noticed you said 4K blu ray. Are we talking about the same thing? Do you mean to tell me a physical media format launched in 2016 is already going obsolete because of the DRM they chose?

Edit 2: lol

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 9, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I use AnyDVD-HD from RedFox for unlocking BluRays for ripping. Works for BR and DVD. I can then rip and encode with Handbrake like any other video.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I use the start menu just fine. I like that run as admin comes up as a choice when searching. I like having icon folders, I like not having to open "All programs" immediately after hitting start.

I did have to spend time customizing it. Sucks it doesn't sync. It's iphone level functionality, you're barely able to customize it, but you can. It drags bigger or smaller, does search pretty OK anymore, and only crashes every other day. It's kinda slow too so I get that part but Jesus gently caress it's just a menu for pictures and words.

Have you guys tried actually using it or are you just being edgy? You just click on a picture the same as I do and the program runs. Right? Am I missing something?

It sounds like a flippant question meant to insult but I really don't see any real reason to say it sucks, other than it's new (and slow sometimes).
I don't like groupthink and how it can progress into grouphate like you shits post sometimes.

Be realistic, think about it just a little bit more cool headed than you've been. See if it's actually a problem or if you're just getting triggered by changes and w h i t e s p a c e.

Anyone wanna do a start menu sucks effortpost? Maybe you'll uncover some excellent points and I'll look like some shill

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

lol that's perfect

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

down1nit posted:

I use the start menu just fine. I like that run as admin comes up as a choice when searching. I like having icon folders, I like not having to open "All programs" immediately after hitting start.

I did have to spend time customizing it. Sucks it doesn't sync. It's iphone level functionality, you're barely able to customize it, but you can. It drags bigger or smaller, does search pretty OK anymore, and only crashes every other day. It's kinda slow too so I get that part but Jesus gently caress it's just a menu for pictures and words.

Have you guys tried actually using it or are you just being edgy? You just click on a picture the same as I do and the program runs. Right? Am I missing something?

It sounds like a flippant question meant to insult but I really don't see any real reason to say it sucks, other than it's new (and slow sometimes).
I don't like groupthink and how it can progress into grouphate like you shits post sometimes.

Be realistic, think about it just a little bit more cool headed than you've been. See if it's actually a problem or if you're just getting triggered by changes and w h i t e s p a c e.

Anyone wanna do a start menu sucks effortpost? Maybe you'll uncover some excellent points and I'll look like some shill

:chloe:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

down1nit posted:

"it only crashes every other day" excellent very stable core part of the operating system experience. how about they stop stuffing it full of poo poo and it crashes never

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

repiv posted:

At this stage it would be easier to store the bought disc on shelf and :filez: a remux off the Internet.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I hit the win key and type if I want to open anything, I don't remember the last time I actually used the start menu by clicking on it

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

down1nit posted:

Basic functionality like opening it and searching has been poo poo since windows 8.
It's too slow and unreliable, and there's zero excuse for it. Being extremely snappy and consistent is what's required, and it fails.

Explorer has also been awful for years too, I suggest everyone try a windows 2000 or xp explorer and see how fast folders open and list compared to any modern Windows, it takes you aback by how much better it could be

You don't win a prize from Microsoft for defending sluggish garbage

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 9, 2024

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Just use PowerToys Run and ignore the start menu.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I've used an alternative start menu ever since the whole Nvidia driver update causing the start menu to become non-responsive thing started happening back around 2019ish. It's a bug that only affected the Windows start menu, Start10/11, StartAllBack, etc were all unaffected by it. Using StartAllBack at the moment because I like the start menu on the left side and my open apps being docked in the middle.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

HalloKitty posted:

You don't win a prize from Microsoft for defending sluggish garbage

Bullshit I got outlook for free just today! Also I was hardly defending it?

Try again maybe when you're less grumpy I think.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What's the underlying reason that the Start menu appeared instantly and reliably up to and including Windows 7, but since then has taken a massive performance and reliability hit?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why can't I resize it, why can't I get rid of the recommendations area entirely?

Other than that I feel pretty okay about this start menu. It's fast enough, probably because I got the web stuff disabled.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 9, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

down1nit posted:

I have a windows 98 machine with a pentium 3 next to me and when I click the start menu it pops up instantly and doesn’t ping 73 web servers

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the underlying reason that the Start menu appeared instantly and reliably up to and including Windows 7, but since then has taken a massive performance and reliability hit?

Web integration

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
About 10 years ago there was a Microsoft web service outage which caused windows 7 start menus to lock up. Lasted about half a day IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It was also like that in Windows 8. And even in early betas of 10.

IIRC when Windows 10 came out there was a thread on HN where someone from MS mention that the taskbar was rewritten for the final version. And then it was rewritten again for Windows 10x (the cancelled os with ux specifically made for usage on phone sized dual screen device). And that + windows 10 + arbitrary cpu limitation was released as 11.