Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm in a Walmart parking lot in OH right in the middle of the path of the eclipse, staring directly at the sun. Stay safe out there friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Grandma just asked me what the sun is made of

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Has Mexico been raptured yet

yes it was amazing. carried up by an enormous celestial eagle. quite the moment

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

thats a great question to ask when one doesnt already have a sense of an answer to it, and im excited that grandma had the intellectual curiosity to ask it at her grandmotherly age

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Squizzle posted:

thats a great question to ask when one doesnt already have a sense of an answer to it, and im excited that grandma had the intellectual curiosity to ask it at her grandmotherly age

Yeah I don't mind it, I just wish I knew the answer so I just blurted out "plasma" which I know she also doesn't know but that's the extent of my semi-educated guess ability.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

just tell em "hydrogen and helium fusion plasma" and I htink that may even been somewhat accurate

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

the sun is an angry god, and if we ever stop pissing it off all the plants will die. everybody hurry up and act a fool

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Florida eclipse was barely visible because Ra has blessed us (sunshine state, high prevalence of skin cancers, etc)

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
did an open eclipse reading for myself outside and I gotta say the cards are lookin good

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah I don't mind it, I just wish I knew the answer so I just blurted out "plasma" which I know she also doesn't know but that's the extent of my semi-educated guess ability.

well grandma, you know how sometimes :gas: can be really fast-moving?? well as plasma, the sun is in many ways the fastest, spiciest :gas: that uh hmm grrravity?? yeah i guess its the spiciest gas that gravity can imagine. and what is gravity?? well im glad that gas is already part of this conversation, because if the sun is a dry spicy gas, then our understanding of gravity is [wettest fart noise practicable] gravity is the laughing demon. gravity is an accident in the memory of ghosts. gravity is the rumors passed between angels and stars. gravity is what makes wings beautiful. to understand gravity is to exceed the feat that made jacob israel, and to truly defeat god. no one knows why the sun is, grandma. we know what it is, but we have to kill god to find out why

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Scornful Sexbot posted:

did an open eclipse reading for myself outside and I gotta say the cards are lookin good

the art on this deck calls to me

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

if nothing else standing outside gawking with a bunch of people was fun

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hello from Maryland

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
ontario

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Seattle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

its true

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ohio

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

precisely the appearance of ohio, in my experience

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

this is what a corn-centric economy gets you

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I saw a little smear of light through my magic glasses and the cloud cover but it was real neat to just sit outside and bask in the weird light for a little while.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Only a partial here, but I've was watching the eclipse on and off since around 10:20am.

Not a cloud in the sky lol

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I saw a little smear of light through my magic glasses and the cloud cover but it was real neat to just sit outside and bask in the weird light for a little while.

totally overcast in Houston, but I felt a lovely sense of peace during the totality.

thank you Surya and Chandra!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the sun and the moon were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anybody else see a micro implosion on the surface of the moon? like large scale construction/demolition work or something? i been googling and on social medias and nobody is saying anything.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lpzie posted:

anybody else see a micro implosion on the surface of the moon? like large scale construction/demolition work or something? i been googling and on social medias and nobody is saying anything.

meteors and other stuff do strike the surface of the moon, hence the craters. are you sure you saw an implosion?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Lpzie posted:

:stare:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i have been staring unblinking into the sun for the past 45 minutes and i feel fine, great even

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lpzie posted:

which moon???

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is a particular yoga where you stare at the sun from sun up to sun down but I am too chicken to do it

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

blatman posted:

i have been staring unblinking into the sun for the past 45 minutes and i feel fine, great even

:yeah:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

one form of sight gives way to another...

stare into the black hole sun

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lpzie posted:

Moon tower finally collapsed, rip

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Moon tower finally collapsed, rip

i hope theyre able to salvage lord zedds throne from the wreckage

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Squizzle posted:

which moon???

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

euphronius posted:

there is a particular yoga where you stare at the sun from sun up to sun down but I am too chicken to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NopPVrE8-BI

Also;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ci4GVBcBrI

So I guess apep once again has been defeated? Kind of a jerk sometimes, that guy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lpzie posted:

an actual implosion or do you mean the red spot in the lower left

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the dot has been redlining along with the eclipse

I am strongly interpreting this correlation

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAbU2783dx8

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The eclipse was cool and all but the abc broadcast really threw me off with how much they had to tell me they were Christian. How people react to eclipses throughout history would make for an interesting anthropology PhD thesis. Overlap it with cultural norms at the time and how eclipse viewers differ (if at all) in their spiritual professions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eclipse was cool. Seeing coronal ejections with bare eye is fascinating and the corona was beautiful. Just how it looks in photos, but much more cosmic and visceral IRL.

https://x.com/cosmicjudas/status/1777384699343569176?s=46