Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kavak posted:

I think they're going to say it's canon but change a bunch of stuff and there will be a bunch of exhausting lovely arguments on Reddit on whether it's still canon or not and it won't matter because Fallout 5 isn't getting made until like 2035 and we'll all be dead by then.

Microsoft please be evil money-grubbers and make Obsidian and Inxile work on Fallout games, I'd like to play one more of them before I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Microsoft owning Obsidian and Bethesda and splitting off Fallout and Elder Scrolls to each would be funny. It's not gonna happen but it would be funny.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Megazver posted:

They nuked it, because Todd wanted old fans who think that New Vegas is better that 3&4 to eat poo poo and cry.

why do they hate the supreme storytelling of NV so?

LifeLynx posted:

It's been a while since I read about it, but I think it's someone important's rule (Bethesda?) that the timeline must go forward. So it's over 200 years since the vaults opened and not much has changed because if the world progressed realistically it'd ruin the post-apocalyptic vibe.

realistically there would be no progress. At best you would get junktown because there won't be any resources or industrial capacity to rebuild pristine new things.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They don't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tankbuster posted:

why do they hate the supreme storytelling of NV so?

Because New Vegas got a shameful 84 on Metacritic

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No seriously. The places in fallout 1 that have new buildings are all built with the GECK. What you would get is 19th century pioneer wooden logs if you want to bring "realism" into a 50s b movie sci fi video game where radiation is functionally equal to Tiberium.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Shady Sands didn't have a GECK, did it? Even if it did that was more a terraformer than construction. They went from adobe huts to proper brick buildings and roads between 1 and 2.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah but we have actual real examples in places where after natural disasters people build things out of scrap. In case of societal collapse there would be no skilled labor and materiel flooding in to fix everything up to a pretty looking state.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
G.E.C.K. results may vary.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe they wouldn't have pristine prefabricated new buildings everywhere, but you'd think the debris and actual human skeletons from 200 years ago would get swept away at some point.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Of course in this world at least a third of the human race likes to decorate their living spaces with chunks of rotting corpses and blood so maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Maybe they wouldn't have pristine prefabricated new buildings everywhere, but you'd think the debris and actual human skeletons from 200 years ago would get swept away at some point.

Yeah that's more what I mean, no matter the level of technological advancement in 200 years, you eventually want to get your lazy rear end up and collect the still-working guns, ammo, and bottles of purified water from the ruined shack next door.

Cities would still be ruins, but games haven't had the tech to really portray them even though it'd be cool as hell. I think it's Chicago where the street level is a constant swarm of feral dogs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Denver. I think the Legion killed a lot of them though :(

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but we have actual real examples in places where after natural disasters people build things out of scrap. In case of societal collapse there would be no skilled labor and materiel flooding in to fix everything up to a pretty looking state.

Which is weird, because in Fallout there are still at least a few factories in Fallout 4 alone that weren't damaged too badly and an absolute poo poo ton of terminals and books around to help people learn how to do stuff. Toss in the fact they had solved fusion power, and people in the vaults at least should have the info for how to keep a reactor running long enough to get a society up and running again.
There'd be scrap houses for a while, but a power source like fusion solves an absolute poo poo ton of of problems.

Basically it's a game, and it's a tv show based on a game. It's not going to be realistic, but it looks fun.

Kavak posted:

Denver. I think the Legion killed a lot of them though :(

Not all, they still capture some of them to use in their armies I think. Still hosed up.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Status quo. Status quo never changes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/falloutonprime/status/1777532118089793697?t=5lBTYFE01y7hDZLvRPYXTw&s=19

Show drops at 6 pm PT April 10th

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Thank you mr goggins that's really magnanimous of you

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I'm all for it, but what? First it was the 12th, then the 11th, then the 10th? Is there something weird going on?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

seaborgium posted:

I'm all for it, but what? First it was the 12th, then the 11th, then the 10th? Is there something weird going on?

They want to drop the show before the actual bombs come.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

the sooner i can get ghoulin the better

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

seaborgium posted:

Probably issues with time zones. This means it's available on the 11th in UK/Europe as it's been advertised. US can watch it Wednesday evening, while Europe can wake up to it Thursday morning - which also falls into their idea of people binging the series, folks mostly avoiding spoilers, etc.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The world of Fallout is much luckier than most post-apocalytic settings in that so much knowledge and technology survived, through vaults, computers, ghouls etc. Pre-War America had a huge population, and even with the destruction, what's left has to go around a smaller pool of people.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you search for 'fallout' on Twitter, the critics are starting to talk about it and they seem to like it.

https://twitter.com/griffschiller/status/1777772271014469872

https://twitter.com/EricVespe/status/1777534479684309371

https://twitter.com/shayhbaz/status/1777750487611146384

https://twitter.com/helloimjlaw/status/1777801247610794495

https://twitter.com/chriskillian/status/1777732501391253639

etc

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
I'm always wary of the very first round of reviews, people said the same poo poo about things like Marvel's Secret Invasion. Fingers crossed this is all genuine though!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They discovered the secret cheat code to making a show good: put Walton Goggins in it.

(A show that aired last year) Justified: City Primeval only figured this out in the final 10 minutes so it was too late to save it. :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am literally just watching this for Walton Ghoulgins playing cowboy Boyd Crowder.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
more importantly.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They're nailed F4's aesthetic for sure

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I just got back from a pre -screening and I can honestly say it does a great job. There are some problems in that it just drops you in the world, if you don't know anything about Fallout you may be lost. The opening scene though is loving amazing and really drives home the fear of the bomb.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
drat, can you put some juicy deets in spoilers?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

War. War Never Changes.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I wonder if this is because of a potential leak. Either way, I'm delighted to have a show surprise come out early.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Fallout: I Don't Want to Set the Thread on Fire

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm either going to love this or hate this and no in between.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Fallout: I Don't Want to Set the Thread on Fire

Fallout: It's All Over But The (Fans Are) Crying

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Fallout: with a big bezos on his hip

I am looking forward to explaining fallout to my family.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Fallout: with a big bezos on his hip

I am looking forward to explaining fallout to my family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG3uBgQmTnk

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Fallout: Lucy in the Wastes with Bottlecaps

Cautiously Optimistic as everyone else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

Fallout: It's All Over But The (Fans Are) Crying