Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just Another Lurker posted:

At what point does the human mind go; "meh, good enough".

When it gets cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
btw my cheapo mi max 3 phone with an IPS LCD turned out to perfectly calibrated in the lagom.nl black level test, which isn't so when it comes to my OLED phones (even the flagship S23U).

so in an ironic way the very dark scenes in videos actually looked better on the LCD despite the much lower contrast ratio on paper, whereas on the OLEDs supposedly very dark shades will go either fully black or turned up to the minimum brightness level to cause smudging all over....which was especially bad on my last S20 FE phone

Palladium fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 8, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

When it gets cheap.

This too, no-one cares about a new TV tech in a mainstream sense until it starts to drop below the $500 mark and OLEDs are still way above that. Especially if someone just bought a 4K TV as they started to get cheap a few years ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

njsykora posted:

This too, no-one cares about a new TV tech in a mainstream sense until it starts to drop below the $500 mark and OLEDs are still way above that. Especially if someone just bought a 4K TV as they started to get cheap a few years ago.

This is us. About two years back we needed a new TV and got a pretty decent 4k LCD TV (one of the fancier types, forget) for something like $650. We were eyeballing OLEDs also but our choices were basically a significantly smaller panel for ~$800 or a same sized panel for something like ~1400.

Barring some horrible mishap I fully expect the TV we have now to last us another 5 years, minimum, and likely 10. So hopefully by then OLEDs are cheap?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is us. About two years back we needed a new TV and got a pretty decent 4k LCD TV (one of the fancier types, forget) for something like $650. We were eyeballing OLEDs also but our choices were basically a significantly smaller panel for ~$800 or a same sized panel for something like ~1400.

Barring some horrible mishap I fully expect the TV we have now to last us another 5 years, minimum, and likely 10. So hopefully by then OLEDs are cheap?

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I went from 37" 720p TV that cost me about £330 to a 43" 4K that cost me about £350 which I hope will last me as long (about 10-15 years, there's still nothing wrong with the 720p one). Though if there's a good OLED for £400 or so in that time or if I come into some money somewhere I might upgrade.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

When it gets cheap.

Iv'e been happy with 1080p for years for my Movie, YT & Twitch viewing... plus the older i get the worse the biological resolution gets. :corsair:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
We have a larger non-OLED TV for the living room and a smaller (though still comically larger than any TV we owned until probably 2017) OLED TV for our bedroom.

My wife says she can’t tell the difference, but she’s glad the OLED makes me happy, lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have an OLED monitor (tv) and I have my two other monitors on the side and I can absolutely tell the difference but I’m still not ready to spend all the money on my larger living room tv for one.

It looks good but it’s still pricy as hell.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I literally want to have every tv in my house be OLED

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I managed to score a 65" LG C2 after Christmas for like $1400 CAD because it was on massive sale and also open box. Hugest TV upgrade of my lifetime for sure (yes, more than CRT -> LCD because my earliest LCD TVs really sucked rear end)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

my first HDTV was one of those Sony CRT HDTVs, KD-34XBR960. 1080i, HDMI input, 200 lbs. It had an amazing image and I loved it, but when I had to move apartments in 2011 I realized it couldn't come with me. I bought a 50inch 1080p Samsung LCD that I hated for years. Terrible input lag, black levels that were more grey than anything. It was "good enough" that we didnt' end up replacing it until 2019 where we got a 77 inch LG oled C9. It blew my mind how good that TV is; its input lag is near CRT levels, and its black levels are a perfect darkness. Coupled with HDR and dolby vision (And properly calibrating said HDR levels, the biggest issue with HDR imo) and I started enjoying movies and TV gaming again.

So much so that I bought a 55inch LG CX for my office the next year for goon cave gaming, and last year bought a 21:9 oled computer monitor for goon cave gaming with a mouse and keyboard. Even retro games have had new life breathed into them with a combination of HDR and CRT shaders. I have access to over a dozen CRTs ranging from PVMs, high end computer monitors and a 29inch arcade cab, and if they were all to die today I wouldn't be terribly put out at this point (Aside from having to haul them all to the recycler). Oled is the real deal.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
bookmarking this in case people take his advice

https://twitter.com/evowizz/status/1777048671827194135

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kliras posted:

Will that increase or decrease his internet points? :thunk:

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

kliras posted:

We live in a reality where people are more willing to listen to a YouTube consumer tech salesman than literal NASA :ironicat:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh what would NASA know about events happening in space anyway I'll trust the YouTube phone sponsor guy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
As somebody who uses their phone as a gps in a windshield mount I do get worried about damaging the camera sensors. Sometimes in the summer midday the phone heats up enough to throw out a temp warning

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Marques, you loving idiot, during an eclipse it is even *more* dangerous to point a camera (or your eyes) at the sun until totality.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
ND filters shmilters.

--edit: Come to think of this bad joke, isn't MKBHD working tons with camera gear by nature of what he's doing? Why the gently caress is he even bamboozled by all of this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

HKR posted:

Marques, you loving idiot, during an eclipse it is even *more* dangerous to point a camera (or your eyes) at the sun until totality.

how so?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think it's just more dangerous for your eyes because your brain isn't sending you the usual "stop looking at the sun you moron" signals while your retinas cook

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just live someplace that is cloudy 300 days of the year and you don’t have these problems.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect A posted:

We live in a reality where people are more willing to listen to a YouTube consumer tech salesman than literal NASA :ironicat:

NASA is already lying about the moon landing, why wouldn't they lie about cameras!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kliras posted:

This dude has always rubbed me the wrong way with the way he does things.

Anyway if you cover the camera with the glasses you can still get a decent picture

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I was misinformed; I guess I thought the partial blockage did something like focused the UV light but it's just this:

Volte posted:

I think it's just more dangerous for your eyes because your brain isn't sending you the usual "stop looking at the sun you moron" signals while your retinas cook

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
just use a phone that runs java, that should be sun compatible

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Should I put my hand in this boiling pot of water? I dropped my phone in it

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tokin opposition posted:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
people take pictures with the sun in them with their phones all the time, it's fine

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

I believe there was a lawsuit specifically to address sun compatibility

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It doesn’t take an oracle to know how that will turn out!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

priznat posted:

Just live someplace that is cloudy 300 days of the year and you don’t have these problems.

Northern Ireland: "you called?" :getin:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Cathode Ray Dude looks at that weird oversized "laptop" Dell made 15 years ago and the big feature it had everyone else forgot about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO5hYhdxIuk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I watched that earlier and the whole thing of it being "portable" is baffling but I guess someone might've been paranoid about it being called a knockoff iMac if they'd made it just an all-in-one since the iMac's final form was still fairly new.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tokin opposition posted:

Wow

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Cathode Ray Dude looks at that weird oversized "laptop" Dell made 15 years ago and the big feature it had everyone else forgot about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO5hYhdxIuk

He’s like the 3rd dude I’ve seen this week review the thing lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I thought this was a pretty interesting poll result.

Handheld gaming PCs are awesome but I’m not convinced GN really is the best place to review them.