Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Did you say or think The Line? "Wait, we're doing this now?! It's only level 83!"
Very much so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
EW: "So we're gonna have some zones-long quest to reinforce the seals and it'll break at the last second and... oh, hello lads. Uh oh."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's kind of funny just how quickly everyone adjusts to the whole 'going to the moon' thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Funky Valentine posted:

It's kind of funny just how quickly everyone adjusts to the whole 'going to the moon' thing.
I love it. By that point so much other wild poo poo has happened that everyone just rolls with meeting an Ascian ghost-memory librarian on the moon without even commenting on it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Holy moley. Clive following you around for this FF16 tie in is such a better experience than those loving /beckon levequests. Please change those to use this follow logic.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Holy moley. Clive following you around for this FF16 tie in is such a better experience than those loving /beckon levequests. Please change those to use this follow logic.

While NPCs following you like that doesn't return till Endwalker, the /beckon stuff will never be seen again outside ARR levequests.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Funky Valentine posted:

Thancred has a straightforward line like "I'll help with the tempered down here and then I will meet you on the moon."

I guess the First did acclimatise them to this.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

EW's MSQ stealth missions so far were surprisingly fun and the end to the second one was a great bit of action/tension.

I was expecting the game was going to get through the whole war without the Eorzeans killing a single tempered but not only do they have to, you have to, because it's a war and you can't just knock out and restraint a whole army of zealots fixated on murdering you.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 7, 2024

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

1stGear posted:

While NPCs following you like that doesn't return till Endwalker, the /beckon stuff will never be seen again outside ARR levequests.

Sadly, it does appear in a few Heavensward ones as well.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
How often the game makes you wait while a bar fills up that just represents waiting feels almost actively insulting

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

It doesn't bother me but it's funny how there are different timers for it.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I'm never getting those 5 second back SE! :argh:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

Sadly, it does appear in a few Heavensward ones as well.

I don't think there's any reason to do combat levequests outside of achievement completionism, is there? Maybe the first one/three/whatever it is in a new zone if you really want the levemete's blue quest marker off your map. I wouldn't really know because I still have those markers up in zones where I've done literally everything else it's possible to do there.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Oh, I got those quest markers off my map.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Sunday Morning posted:

I'm never getting those 5 second back SE! :argh:

If you actually looked at the total time you have to wait for like... just everyone walking off at the end of a cutscene youd get a panic attack

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Theris posted:

I don't think there's any reason to do combat levequests outside of achievement completionism, is there?

It takes like seven years of real time to do them all, doesn't it? So there's no reason to do combat levequests. :sweatdrop:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Doomykins posted:

It takes like seven years of real time to do them all, doesn't it? So there's no reason to do combat levequests. :sweatdrop:
Yeah, not unless you're trying to follow in that guy's footsteps.

Doing one at each location to get the quest marker off your map is probably fine, though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doomykins posted:

I think it's five years with the current rate of allowance refill but yes. and that's with never letting your levequests cap. The game's been out long enough at least one person has to have the achievement but it's a hell of a grind.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
there's a little over 200 players with the "do 5k battle Levequests" achievement and a little under 200 players with "do 5k fieldcraft Levequests" and I have no idea how much those players overlap.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

dangerdoom volvo posted:

If you actually looked at the total time you have to wait for like... just everyone walking off at the end of a cutscene youd get a panic attack

unrelated but I chuckle every time there is some 'soundless' establishing shots of a crowd during a cinematic and there will be some soothing music playing and you'll see a bunch of Scions or whatever gesticulating to and 'conversing' with one another and they're not actually saying anything or making any sounds.

but you can still hear every single person's footsteps any time they make the slightest movement at all! which means you should be able to hear the words they're saying! it totally breaks the verisimilitude!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I swear to god the time between a cutscene finishing and for the game to load you back in is programmed to be longer if a roulette popped.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you accept a duty finder during a cutscene it resets the cutscene so you can watch it later after you do your dungeon or whatever.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The window to accept a queue will not show over the cutscene if it popped before the cutscene loaded (even if that was in the brief time between clicking interaction points / NPCs, talk and emotes happening in the "open world" and the actual cutscene loading) or after the cutscene ended but while the game is still loading the world and potentially spamming you with its trademark verbose texts.

But yeah if it pops in the middle of a cutscene just accept it and you get to repeat the cutscene after.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is there an equivalent to the novice network once you're kicked out of it or is it just luck of whether there's a decent free company on the server? I liked it, it was just an easygoing chat and good for advice I think I still need sometimes.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

God Hole posted:

unrelated but I chuckle every time there is some 'soundless' establishing shots of a crowd during a cinematic and there will be some soothing music playing and you'll see a bunch of Scions or whatever gesticulating to and 'conversing' with one another and they're not actually saying anything or making any sounds.

but you can still hear every single person's footsteps any time they make the slightest movement at all! which means you should be able to hear the words they're saying! it totally breaks the verisimilitude!
I like the belated exchange of nods before everyone walks away.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You could try looking for a linkshell, there are some that accept outsiders and can be very helpful. I wouldn't join a hunt LS looking to chat though, most people reserve those for announcements only, but there are Roleplaying LS and General LS that would be helpful. Community Finder sometimes has posts for people looking to expand their linkshell.

Other than that it's Free Companies as far as chat channels are concerned.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Kwyndig posted:

If you accept a duty finder during a cutscene it resets the cutscene so you can watch it later after you do your dungeon or whatever.

in addition to what orcane said, if you're a different job then you just have a useless duty finder popup you either have to reject, timeout, or actually skip the cutscene

which is annoying when you go do quests for a different job after queuing for expert roulette or whatever

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I got dragged into the Novice Network when I got Returner status and it felt like my braincells were leaking out of my ears

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Runa posted:

I got dragged into the Novice Network when I got Returner status and it felt like my braincells were leaking out of my ears
I've heard that in some servers, it's actually pretty useful, but on Hyperion, it's mostly just white noise and ego trips.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Runa posted:

Mine was really chill.

I've been amazed across the board with how good random parties are in duties. Only come across one complete rear end in a top hat DPS who ran ahead of the tank and when asked to stop told them to hurry the gently caress up then.

Everyone is very forgiving of mistakes.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

snoremac posted:

Mine was really chill.

I've been amazed across the board with how good random parties are in duties. Only come across one complete rear end in a top hat DPS who ran ahead of the tank and when asked to stop told them to hurry the gently caress up then.

Everyone is very forgiving of mistakes.

dps pulling the pack is fine in dungeons and also lol

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Unless it’s one one the weird old dungeons that let you pull the entire floor at a level before you even get aoe or mit cooldowns, just take dps pulling as an extended hp bar. They’ll bring it to you, you’ll keep using aoe, and all the mobs die in a timely order.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Okay fair enough. It was more the attitude that was the problem.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

snoremac posted:

Okay fair enough. It was more the attitude that was the problem.

Yeah sometimes people have a bad day and they can get short when the tank is going too slow. But you know, the DPS taking aggro for a gcd or two is, ultimately, just more mitigation.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

When I'm healing and the tank is single-pulling, and one of the DPS runs ahead to pull another pack AND pops arms length? that's a comm from me

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Frankly I don't understand what's happening in front of me enough in any duty in terms of teammates doing helpful things, especially DPS, and usually just give the comm to someone who didn't die or someone who told me how to stop dying.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I tend to favor DPS with comms unless the tank or healer really stood out to me, just because I've noticed tanks and healers normally get a lot of comms regardless.

I also go with who has the neatest or silliest portrait.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Unless it’s one one the weird old dungeons that let you pull the entire floor at a level before you even get aoe or mit cooldowns, just take dps pulling as an extended hp bar. They’ll bring it to you, you’ll keep using aoe, and all the mobs die in a timely order.
Tanks have AoE in Sastasha but I guess 2/3 of your possible mitigations are unavailable until you're doing it synced down from level 32 or higher :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When running as a tank I usually commend the healer if they've been helping me have an easy time of things. Though I'm not gonna claim that's fully objective, mood and vibes do a lot there. After that I look for DPS who are playing a good team role, pulling things they aggroed back to the party, doing stuns/interrupts, stuff like that. Especially if a pull has some unit I know is particularly annoying and they made a point to take it out instead of blind AoE (which is usually the right answer when units like that aren't in play). For example if a ranged DPS targets a ranged unit that isn't going to be movable and is standing somewhere that if melee go to it things can get ugly fast (some of the bogeys in Dezmael come to mind), I notice and try to remember to acknowledge that.

As a healer it's whoever annoys me the least. If the tank's hitting their cooldowns and bothering to move out of AoE that probably means them. If they seem to be saying "eh, healer can take care of it" then I will, but I won't commend them. DPS engaging with mechanics and acting to make things smoother also gets my attention here. Needing to worry about other people like a healer does is my most stressful part of this game and I appreciate anyone who tries to not make it worse.

As a dps it's usually the tank if they're not being stupid, or the healer if I screwed up and they covered my rear end. DPS also gets credit if things are dying in a timely manner because I know I'm hitting MY damage skills so if things aren't dying it must be the other guy (or an Honest Healer or something).

Bonus points if they play one of my personal affinity jobs. Warrior, Bard, Dragoon, if I don't have a reason to target someone else those guys are getting a hug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

orcane posted:

Tanks have AoE in Sastasha but I guess 2/3 of your possible mitigations are unavailable until you're doing it synced down from level 32 or higher :v:

If a tank's pulling within their means (however big those means are) that's one thing. If a tank knows their limits and the dps runs off to grab more that's another. Or one fun run I had where the healer decided I could have taken another pack so they went off to grab more, pulled it to the group, and stopped healing me.