Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zesty posted:

Absolutely not.

The most polite way I've seen marriage candidates referred to in that series is "child coded"

Yeeesh.

uhh... there are marriage canidates in rune factory 4 i am definitely uncomfortable with but that isn't a marriage candidate lol, that is your child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh sorry. Wrong, but nearly identical, NPC.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you don't like the design of a character, don't marry them. I always felt like Amber/Kiel in RF4 might be for the younger players, you gotta remember its not always people in their 30s who play these games.

Roots of Pacha has some big issues, the main problem I had was that large scale farming was absolutely unsustainable stamina wise until you get irrigation very late in the game. The characters are also super flat personality wise.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I immediately bounced off roots of pacha and it really seemed dull and flat compared to stardew.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also in Roots of Pacha if you have a child it will randomly start to cry / get hungry several times a day and its up to YOU to fix it regardless of where you are! While your deadbeat spouse is near your home all day doing nothing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FrickenMoron posted:

If you don't like the design of a character, don't marry them. I always felt like Amber/Kiel in RF4 might be for the younger players, you gotta remember its not always people in their 30s who play these games.

"If you don't like the design of a character" is a funny way to defend the 10 year old included as a marriage candidate that you can have children with. It's pretty gross considering the game does have marriage candidates that don't look like children, so it was quite the choice to throw this one (and a couple others in RF4) in for whoever was interested.

Also, claiming the child marriage candidate is there for younger players to choose to marry isn't the defense you think it is.

Even if you like the game otherwise, you should at least have the good sense to recognize this as a gross misstep unworthy of justification. It looks like they didn't repeat it in RF5, which is good. I've written off the series. There's so many other games to recommend.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 16, 2024

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Though I don't necessarily disagree, that's a pretty bad example because I'm sure that's actually your daughter

Edit: I feel like this would lead to a very stupid derail so look at this cat emote instead :radcat:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s a cool cat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play Sandrock instead, it's very good and only features one child(-like) bride.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I found Roots of Pacha very fun, and I thought it actually improved on Stardew Valley with better and more interesting mechanics. YMMV apparently.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I really enjoyed Coral Island (though it's definitely true that's its not finished yet despite nominally being 1.0 and that it takes a lot from Stardew) but the thread as a whole isn't a fan. Individual opinions will definitely vary.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks to a windfall of Steam gift credit, I finally picked up the DLC expansion pack that Disney Dreamlight Valley dropped back in December, and I am loving it! The environment design and map are even better than in the main game!

I'm also looking forward to the Stardew Valley content update coming next week, and I'm hoping Palia will let me use some of my remaining Steam credit to buy outfits when it goes live on the platform on the 25th. It's a good time to be a life sim player.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
We're not going to solve the 'anime characters designed to look like children' problem in this thread. I appreciate everyone being civil and chill about it so far but let's not continue talking about it here. Thanks friends :)

I am looking forward to Palia coming to Steam, it looks like it could absorb my life.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Echoing what others have said in this thread, Pacha can get very grindy. The characters are very flat and difficult to tell apart, so I didn't really bother with the romance aspect. The game's version of sprinklers, irrigation, can be difficult to figure out and takes up valuable field space if you're into farming. I never bothered really interacting with decorating my home aside from making it larger. (You can get a mammoth as a pet.)

I liked "leveling up" crops by growing a lot of them, which increases your knowledge of them. It's nice to decide when you want animals to breed rather than having them spontaneously give birth. And the idea of contributing resources does help to make you feel like a part of the community rather than just focusing on making money for yourself. Though it becomes kind of pointless once you've unlocked everything.

Overall, it was pleasant enough as a Stardew-like to play while I listened to podcasts, but I absolutely would not pay full price for it.

I should get back to Disney Dreamlight Valley after burning out on it, especially since the most recent update added Monsters Inc. characters. I also keep meaning to start Portia, since I picked it up on sale at some point. Gotta do something to pass the time until the 1.6 update for Stardew Valley comes to consoles. :sigh:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

Roots of Pacha is a fine game, although on the grindier side even for this genre. It is, sadly, not a farming game like SV. Farming is the least efficient way to make money, or pretty much anything else, that I found in Roots of Pacha. Despite the game telling you that your job in the tribe is to farm, all other activities make more money for the same time investment, frequently several times as much as what you'd make doing farming. As long as you're willing to completely ignore the story about you being a farmer and spend most of your time playing the fishing minigame, it's probably okay.

Eh, farming is fine for making money. It definitely starts off not making much, and you do have to process the outputs to make them worth more, but that's kind of the point. The crops level up as you grow them, which then makes you better returns over time. And once you unlock the ability to automatically water the crops, maintaining a large farm is very straightforward.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
on the plus side roots of pacha has two huge content updates coming in 1.2 and 1.3 that are specifically to address the grind, the children, and the depth of characters

i'd wait for those to come out and take another look

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I am looking forward to Palia coming to Steam, it looks like it could absorb my life.
It does look that way doesn't it. Unfortunately, unless they added a whole lot since I played, it's definitely on the shallower end of life sim games.

Still, I got a good 20 or so hours out of it, and considering it was free that's a very good dollar to hour of enjoyment ratio.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Log082 posted:

I really enjoyed Coral Island (though it's definitely true that's its not finished yet despite nominally being 1.0 and that it takes a lot from Stardew) but the thread as a whole isn't a fan. Individual opinions will definitely vary.

I'm just conflicted on that one, even though I'd tell anyone to wait on it, because it's just not done and says it's 1.0. I played it and enjoyed it until I ran into a wall of unfinished content that I had already waited for 1.0 to avoid hitting.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm just conflicted on that one, even though I'd tell anyone to wait on it, because it's just not done and says it's 1.0. I played it and enjoyed it until I ran into a wall of unfinished content that I had already waited for 1.0 to avoid hitting.
this is why I haven't even started Coral Island, because someone warned me about this, even though it says it's 1.0 it's not done (I kickstartered it so it wasn't a "don't buy it yet" situation but it would have been...)

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Eiba posted:

It does look that way doesn't it. Unfortunately, unless they added a whole lot since I played, it's definitely on the shallower end of life sim games.

Still, I got a good 20 or so hours out of it, and considering it was free that's a very good dollar to hour of enjoyment ratio.

True. We’re up to 3 out of the 4 elemental temples implemented, and the last couple updates have added some new building and decor pieces and found-item quests, but no substantial new activities apart from periodic festivals, the latest one of which ended at the end of February. It doesn't help that the last update accidentally took muujin (wolf creatures) out of play until the next one. Hopefully, that will be fixed in the next update.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is why I haven't even started Coral Island, because someone warned me about this, even though it says it's 1.0 it's not done (I kickstartered it so it wasn't a "don't buy it yet" situation but it would have been...)

I watched this overview last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t96gNf6vkmU

Led me to the roadmap.

v1.1 looks like what should have been 1.0.
v1.2 adds multiplayer.
v1.3 seems to be extras that make the game feel more lively.

I think I'd rather wait for v1.3.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 17, 2024

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I managed to get a ton of play-time out of Coral Island 1.0 on the Xbox. It's definitely a visually updated Stardew Valley. I only ran into one major bug, that forced me to skip a festival, but otherwise it wasn't broken and I didn't feel like it was missing anything. But yeah, I ran out of content eventually so I'm excited for the updates!

I bought and binged My Time at Sandrock over the weekend. I loved Portia, and this feels like a better Portia in every way. I haven't even gotten to any of the relationship or farming mechanics but I'm loving it so far.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm at my first autumn in coral island and yeah it scratches that itch better than Stardew imo. My only big complaint is the harvest/picking up selection is kinda crappy. My chickens always end up corralling around their eggs and I have to wait until they move to pick them up or else I'm repeatedly petting little Chimken

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Stardew gets an update tomorrow

https://twitter.com/CozygirlSteph/status/1769769918541566252

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1769495186638581761

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Frog farming coming to PC and Switch later this year.

quote:

Your journey to becoming an amphibian adept starts as any good farming sim does — needing a break. Playing as Cleo who reconnects with her childhood friend Axel, the pair decide to work together on a restoration project which involves creating a home for frogs. This involves making beds, sofas (yes, really), baths and all sorts of cosy little pieces.

You can grow wetland crops and create ponds to invite up to 500 croakers to your little sanctuary, but it's not just about raising them, either. You have a little 'Frogdex' where you can document multiple different species of frog. And you'll need to make friends, solve quests, and visit three different biomes to help out the frogs of the world.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Picked up Portia a week ago in a steam sale, and it's already eating my life. Just coming up to the end of year 1, and am considering restarting to better ratfuck that prick Higgins out of every city commission, instead of just most of them. (Actually, does Higgins have a love interest? Gonna seduce them)

Probably going on to Sandrock when I'm done with it, but what else would you recommend that would fit alongside them? Or is it just a case of "read the thread you are in, most of these games"?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Megazver posted:

Let me try to sell you.

I don't enjoy anime, I haven't really enjoyed most JRPGs I've tried before and I've never played any other DQ games before trying this one. I was also pretty skeptical because of how it looked, because most Japanese games that look like that usually leave me cold.

But it really won me over. It's basically "what if Minecraft had a really good RPG campaign where you build villages for NPCs". I strongly encourage you to try the JUMBO DEMO on Steam which shows off the first 10 hours of game in which you build one of the three big villages you'll rebuild in this game.

Word of caution - the intro where you're a prisoner on a ship is kinda meh, if you're not already into DQ. Thankfully, it's pretty short and once you get out and start surviving it really picks up, IMO.

I really hope you give this game a shot!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stardew is the gold standard of this genre.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Picked up Portia a week ago in a steam sale, and it's already eating my life. Just coming up to the end of year 1, and am considering restarting to better ratfuck that prick Higgins out of every city commission, instead of just most of them. (Actually, does Higgins have a love interest? Gonna seduce them)

Probably going on to Sandrock when I'm done with it, but what else would you recommend that would fit alongside them? Or is it just a case of "read the thread you are in, most of these games"?

IMO, Sandrock is the cream of the crop. It's miles ahead of everything else in the genre.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wouldn't go so far to say Sandrock is the best in the genre since this thread covers stuff outside of Harvest Moon likes. But its def the best game in that style and definitely a top 10 for life sims in general.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's a crime it wasn't in any GOTY lists last year.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Huh just realized its been mention in the RPG thread but never here.

Been playing some more Final Profit lately. Item shop game made in rpg maker. I think its pretty good. Bit closer to the rpg side of things, not much of a sandbox to it. But still likely to appeal to people in the thread.

Reminds me that I need to also put some more time in the Touhou restaurant game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I enjoyed most of Final Profit, but it kind of loses its way in the last town both narratively and mechanically. It gets extremely grindy - and most of the last several patch notes included comments about making changes to further slow down income.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megazver posted:

It's a crime it wasn't in any GOTY lists last year.

It was in mine!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

It was in mine!

Yeah, it did get its due in the Goon GOTY thread, but in the gaming media, not so much.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Huh just realized its been mention in the RPG thread but never here.

Been playing some more Final Profit lately. Item shop game made in rpg maker. I think its pretty good. Bit closer to the rpg side of things, not much of a sandbox to it. But still likely to appeal to people in the thread.

Reminds me that I need to also put some more time in the Touhou restaurant game.

I’ve been playing the hell out of this game for the last two weeks too, and while it looks like an RPG maker shitpost (and it is, for sure), every character takes the ridiculous setting completely seriously, and I found myself pretty invested in seeing the characters succeed. By the end of the game I would say there was a 3:1 ratio of joking:sincere scenes.

I’ve wanted to post about it too but it’s in a weird enough place genre-wise that I wasn’t sure what thread to post about it in.

The dialogue in the first town needs like 20 more commas to help legibility, but that seemed to be fixed after the demo.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

One thing to be careful of - once you play Sandrock, it's really, really, really difficult to go back to playing Portia. The quality of life improvements alone are immense, and the characters are leaps and bounds better.

Also as nobody has mentioned it on this page yet, Rune Factory 4 is quite fun if you're looking for a good farming/dungeon diving gameplay loop. It definitely has a bigger emphasis on the dungeon side of things than most similar games, but the combat is quite good and varied with magic attacks, a variety of weapons, and weapon arts (which you can use with any weapon, which does lead to some amusing animations). The caveat is that it leans very heavily into anime tropes.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Zesty posted:

Stardew is the gold standard of this genre.
I played Stardew pretty hard when it came out, but I dunno if I can go back to the vanilla experience now that I've played games where you can craft from chests and whatnot.

Will ConcernedApe be mad at me if I start a new save with the Better Chests mod?

Jack Trades posted:

IMO, Sandrock is the cream of the crop. It's miles ahead of everything else in the genre.
How would you evaluate Sandrock for someone who played Portia all the way but overall regrets it

game just felt like a big singleplayer MMO with yucky combat where I'm running the same circuit every day giving trinkets to weird little guys

my inclination is to give up on the series but is the sequel that much better?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Sandrock just blows Portia out of the water. It's still a bit janky but the overall quality is massively improved in every regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sandrocks only major problem is if you try hard the projects with getting stockpiles of materials built up you can end up with doing more waiting than preferable in the later parts of the story while you wait for story quests to fire, otherwise the game is an upgrade over Portia in everyway and is an excellent desert handyman simulator