Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I do it pretty regularly. Like I'll watch a hour of a movie on Monday and finish it Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys ever watch movies in several sittings? I just found out a friend does this regularly and it sounds insane

Only extremely long movies like Gance's Napoleon or La Roue

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys ever watch movies in several sittings? I just found out a friend does this regularly and it sounds insane

Sometimes I have a nap in the middle of a movie if I’m really sleepy but otherwise nah. I have a friend who does but he has severe ADHD

Today I watched Deep End (really cool and wild) and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (loving incredible, Almodóvar is the best)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Only extremely long movies like Gance's Napoleon or La Roue

The directors cut of Until the End of the World was a great 2 part split. I think it would have been a lesser movie in 1 sitting.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I may have intentionally watched some long movie in multiple parts but most often it’s because I’m dozing off so I just stop it and turn off the TV before I actually fall asleep (my dad would fall asleep with the TV blasting and I always hated that). This last weekend it was Rodan which isn’t exactly the most exciting kaiju movie ever made

Last year I did unintentionally watch all of the animated Transformers movie on YouTube spread out over like a week; did not plan on watching all of it when I started though

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i rented logan on 4k bluray from my local video shop and i'm watching the noir b&w version. watched some saturday when i first got it. some yesterday morning, and some last night. MAYBE i'll finish tonight but no guarantees.

typically if a movie takes me that long to get through, it's probably something i'm not really that into. if it's a rewatch i just maybe mismanaged my time and i don't care as much so i'll get little chunks in here and there. but if it's a first time watch and i can't sit through it in at LEAST two sittings (one being preferred) then it doesn't pass the vibe check.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gaius Marius posted:

Sorry, you guys caught me slipping I forgot about Duran Duran

Just a brief aside here, I was in high school and some friends and I were talking about music. Somebody mentioned some band and I said "oh like Duran Duran? Those guys had their time, they haven't been relevant for almost a decade and are done."

It was January 1993. A literal month later, they released their #1 album Duran Duran. The band that taught me an important lesson.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Jay Rust posted:

I had to do this to accomplish the October marathon. An hour before work and an hour after. It does diminish the impact of a film somewhat, but it’s also a huge boost to how often the average person can watch movies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

i rented logan on 4k bluray from my local video shop and i'm watching the noir b&w version. watched some saturday when i first got it. some yesterday morning, and some last night. MAYBE i'll finish tonight but no guarantees.

typically if a movie takes me that long to get through, it's probably something i'm not really that into. if it's a rewatch i just maybe mismanaged my time and i don't care as much so i'll get little chunks in here and there. but if it's a first time watch and i can't sit through it in at LEAST two sittings (one being preferred) then it doesn't pass the vibe check.

Logan is one of the most overrated movies of the last decade

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I’ve been watching 1+ movie a day since the beginning of the year and sometimes I start movies after midnight and am forced to finish the next day if I get sleepy. I try to avoid it but it surprisingly works ok.

I also watched Satantango and War and Peace in their entirety in one day each recently. Satantango was murderous in its pacing (on purpose it seems) so I probably would suggest watching that one in chunks. Or not at all (gently caress you animal cruelty)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Satantango is goated but also its in three parts for a reason

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If a movie is over about 1:45 we often split it into two nights. Otherwise we’d get to bed too late.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just submitted the application of step 2 for the script fund for Gústi.

In 8-10 weeks I'll get an answer and hopefully be able to spend a couple of months off work to do nothing but write.

In the meantime we're probably finally going to start pitching to production companies using the short film as a proof of concept because steps 3, and all steps for actual production grants, require a production company to be involved.

If nobody bites we'll probably have to use part of the fund to start our own production company.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
For Satantango I recall there being 12 title card sections/parts, not 3? Also War and Peace is split up into 4 parts technically. That makes me wonder, when they screen these 7 hour movies in an actual theater do they do multiple intermissions?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boy of Joy posted:

I recall there being 12 title card sections/parts, not 3? Also War and Peace is split up into 4 parts technically. That makes me wonder, when they screen these 7 hour movies in an actual theater do they do multiple intermissions?

Yeah, I saw Satantango in cinemas and it had two intermissions. And it was three discs on DVD (I assume it’s not as many on blu-ray)

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Barry Lyndon is only five minutes longer than Oppenheimer, but when I saw it last month the cinema was good enough to respect the interval it includes. Same back when I saw 2001 actually - appears the secret is that nobody argues with your request for an interval if you are Stanley Kubrick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the version of 2001 my work shows the intermission is literally baked into the movie

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Escobarbarian posted:

is it? i barely ever hear anyone talking about it anywhere. i do think that whenever anyone does bring it up it tends to get immediately compared to all other xmen/fox comic book movies, which maybe gives it an unfair advantage bc that pits it against a lot of absolute heat death of the universe levels of hot garbage movies.

in a vacuum, it's a fine movie, nothing exceptional, but i don't think it's possible for it to exist in a vacuum really. you have characters that have been on screen for 20+ years by the same actors, and Logan feels like a proper "sendoff" (even though they're both in new movies as the same characters anyway) for them in a similar way that Endgame is a sendoff for Captain America and Iron Man.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I'd have liked it a lot more if they had been just a little less heavy handed with the Shane references

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

i do think that whenever anyone does bring it up it tends to get immediately compared to all other xmen/fox comic book movies, which maybe gives it an unfair advantage bc that pits it against a lot of absolute heat death of the universe levels of hot garbage movies.

yeah this was the big issue when it came out. everyone was obsessed with comparing it to the other x-men films and ignoring how it is as an actual standalone movie (not very good!). the dialogue is terrible, the cursing feels totally unnatural in a “oh so this is what people liked about Deadpool right????” way, the darker tone feels overly forced, and the third act is awful

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Escobarbarian posted:

yeah this was the big issue when it came out. everyone was obsessed with comparing it to the other x-men films and ignoring how it is as an actual standalone movie (not very good!). the dialogue is terrible, the cursing feels totally unnatural in a “oh so this is what people liked about Deadpool right????” way, the darker tone feels overly forced, and the third act is awful

well it doesn’t exist in a vacuum so it’s pretty great actually

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
honestly it’s like the fifth-ranked x-men movie at best

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't think enough people hyped it up to consider it overrated.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was very hyped but I think Esco just doesn’t like it and that’s all this boils down too

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just submitted the application of step 2 for the script fund for Gústi.

In 8-10 weeks I'll get an answer and hopefully be able to spend a couple of months off work to do nothing but write.

In the meantime we're probably finally going to start pitching to production companies using the short film as a proof of concept because steps 3, and all steps for actual production grants, require a production company to be involved.

If nobody bites we'll probably have to use part of the fund to start our own production company.

Yes! Yes!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dude please get that poo poo. I can’t imagine someone not biting. gusti is not just an incredible short film but a fantastic calling card of your talents and craft

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just saw Gone With the Wind in a theater last night and that is a long goddamn movie. They had the intermission and everything. It was a great opportunity to pee and get a snack.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Home sick and did a weirdo double feature of Gokè, The Body Snatcher From Hell (1968) and After Hours (1985). Very different films but both good.

I'm amused that Tommy Chong is credited as "Thomas Chong". In After Hours obviously, Thomas Chong is not in Goké the Body Snatcher From Hell.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched after hours today too, it was a blast for most of it, but the last third, with the angry mob, didn’t quite feel quite right, it just wasn’t as interesting as the rest

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

It was very hyped but I think Esco just doesn’t like it and that’s all this boils down too

well I wouldn’t think it was overrated if I liked it, yeah

it was definitely very very hyped when I came out, lots of people talking how it was a mature superhero movie finally!!!!! which is as nonsensical now as it was then

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Escobarbarian posted:

which is as nonsensical now as it was then

The problem is you're wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Although I suppose if you're referring to Batman V Superman, I could understand, but I know you're not so I'd like to know what other post MCU big comic book movie characters got a dramatic gritty violent film because I'm having a bit of a hard time.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jay Rust posted:

Almost always since about 5 years ago. It stinks but sometimes it's the only way to see stuff. For a while I was watching movies on my phone on my commute, 45 minutes of train rides each way, then eventually got in the habit of watching an hour or so a night after I get my kid to bed.

I think it's why I've gravitated so much towards action movies, because they don't lose as much when you lose tension. Whereas horror, suspense, or good dramas often suffer a lot when broken up.

I started doing this in November of 2019 and have seen just under 400 movies since then, I doubt I would have even seen 50 without doing it this way.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 9, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

trevorreznik posted:

Almost always since about 5 years ago. It stinks but sometimes it's the only way to see stuff. For a while I was watching movies on my phone on my commute, 45 minutes of train rides each way, then eventually got in the habit of watching an hour or so a night after I get my kid to bed.

I think it's why I've gravitated so much towards action movies, because they don't lose as much when you lose tension. Whereas horror, suspense, or good dramas often suffer a lot when broken up.

I started doing this in November of 2019 and have seen just under 400 movies since then, I doubt I would have even seen 50 without doing it this way.

I'm in almost exactly the same boat except make it roughly seven years. Weekends used to be fine but not not even those offer enough safe time to watch a movie in one session.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Although I suppose if you're referring to Batman V Superman, I could understand, but I know you're not so I'd like to know what other post MCU big comic book movie characters got a dramatic gritty violent film because I'm having a bit of a hard time.

“dramatic gritty violent” is not the same as “mature”, I think is the key difference here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My problem with your opinion is your dislike of the film is blinding you. Logan was unique for the genre of superhero films. That’s a fact. It was a hit and well liked because it didn’t exist in a vacuum and did something that was indeed more mature than what the genre was giving at the time.

I’m really trying to think of anything that has done something in that vein since but all I can really think about is The Batman. That’s definitely more “mature” than any of the dceu and MCU flicks at the time.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 9, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Was Logan that mature? He fights an evil clone of himself. It seemed to me like a regular comic book movie but sad

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jay Rust posted:

I try to avoid it whenever possible. I will however watch the same movie in multiple sittings.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
After having kids I tried to still only watch movies in the best atmosphere I could. Then that just resulted in me seeing zero movies. So now I'll watch in multiple viewings, with closed captions and yelling in the bg. It sucks but the only way to watch stuff sometimes. They're getting older so it'll start to return to normalcy. And we'll go to the theater when we can now. But that's like a $250 outing with babysitter, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BonoMan posted:

But that's like a $250 outing with babysitter, etc.

There has never been a single movie released that's worth that.

But then, I've mostly just gotten free cinema tickets for years now so I'm skewed