Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
a gravel bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm guessing it has many more syllables than that

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
It's literally gravel. I checked a couple German stores online out of curiosity

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You could visit the Canyon showroom and store in Koblenz and test ride all their bikes the hit up their museum.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
das gravelfarrhad

ist gut, ja?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am pretty far from koblenz. And the closest bike store is an hour by bus away, or 30 minutes by bike in the other direction. Which is why I want to research first.

And Gravel looks too fast and sporty for me. I feel like I would go for longer trips instead of faster trips when I get back into shape. And I do want a rack for my picknick gear and paranoid repair stock.
What even is the difference between gravel and cross?

Track looks like this, some parts were also flooded:

Strava seems so try even harder to sell me poo poo since the last time I tried it. I saw that Komoot has some good maps in my Area, anybody using the app?

e: also i am kinda planning to stick below 1000€ for my bike, before I am experienced enough again to actually tell weather it is good.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 7, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

And Gravel looks too fast and sporty for me. I feel like I would go for longer trips instead of faster trips when I get back into shape. And I do want a rack for my picknick gear and paranoid repair stock.
What even is the difference between gravel and cross?

I don't think there is a real distinction between gravel and cross anymore.

Gravel is almost guaranteed to be what you want. There is a lot of variation in the space.

quote:

Track looks like this, some parts were also flooded:

Strava seems so try even harder to sell me poo poo since the last time I tried it. I saw that Komoot has some good maps in my Area, anybody using the app?

try ridewithgps

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Fool posted:

I don't think there is a real distinction between gravel and cross anymore.

Gravel is almost guaranteed to be what you want. There is a lot of variation in the space.

try ridewithgps

Like…the discipline of cross and gravel? They’re wildly different. The bikes themselves? Not so much

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
maybe a hybrid bike or a “commuter bike” or “city bike” is more what you’re after? Something with a comfy upright posture, flat handlebars, and thicc tires to comfortably go over varied terrain? Maybe something in the shape of a Bianchi C-Sport or similar?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was referring to the bikes, yes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

I know there's no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that but lmao don't buy from Amazon (esp. bike parts).
yeah. stuff is common-binned across vendors so you *will* get scammed, by design.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

VictualSquid posted:

Komoot is the best app I've found for making/copying routes (in Europe at least). It's nice you can view the road type and surface across the route (single-track/bike path/road and dirt/sand/cobbles, etc.) and the auto routing is also pretty good.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Are there any bomb proof bottom brackets out there? My Hellbender 70 bearings both seized up after Fried Clay, not sure if it was creek crossings or mud pits. I could pay $300 something for the unconditional warrantied Hellbender 110 but would prefer not to reward Cane Creek for seemingly selling mediocre bearings.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

enduro makes BB’s they’ll warranty forever too I think.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

resident posted:

Are there any bomb proof bottom brackets out there? My Hellbender 70 bearings both seized up after Fried Clay, not sure if it was creek crossings or mud pits. I could pay $300 something for the unconditional warrantied Hellbender 110 but would prefer not to reward Cane Creek for seemingly selling mediocre bearings.

evil_bunnY posted:

enduro makes BB’s they’ll warranty forever too I think.

A $300 Cane Creek BB would come with Enduro XD-15 bearings. I’ve had iffy experiences with XD-15 hub sized bearings bought directly from Enduro, but maybe their BB sized bearings are more consistent…

I bought some CeramicSpeed BikeCloset specials and haven’t looked back.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

My wife casually got a QOM tonight on an obscure segment in Columbia City/Seattle that just happens to also have been ridden by World Tour pro Veronica Ewers. Now I’m jealous and want world tour pro bragging rights.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Am I a bad person for buying a mint 80s Wisconsin made trek 560 and putting a carbon disc fork on it, so long as I save the old hardware

I never really wanted a trek but after my gt edge and Fuji Club got stolen im running out of quality horizontal top tube bikes on the used market but I really love the ride of carbon, not to mention the weight savings

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

does a 1" threaded carbon disc fork even exist?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

resident posted:

Assuming you have BSA BB?

With present (outboard bearing) BB designs this is likely 100% just down to the quality of the bearings, bearing seals and packing with extra marine grease for water sealing on install.

Have you taken out your crankset, cleaned and regreassed everything (and tipped the water out of your frame), checked the bearings themselves and re-installed? Might just be grit trapped somewhere.

Can you not just replace the bearings with a matching set known to be of good quality (NTN etc)?

Seems insane to be getting rid of cane creek anything given the artisanal level price.

The most waterproof by far are old school internal cartridge BBs, which might not be compatible with anything else.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Hadlock posted:

Am I a bad person for buying a mint 80s Wisconsin made trek 560 and putting a carbon disc fork on it, so long as I save the old hardware

I never really wanted a trek but after my gt edge and Fuji Club got stolen im running out of quality horizontal top tube bikes on the used market but I really love the ride of carbon, not to mention the weight savings

You're only a bad person if you don't post a pic in here after you do it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Clark Nova posted:

WoundUp will make one for you. Might cost you $600 or so.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

You're only a bad person if you don't post a pic in here after you do it

So if I drop this partial 105 groupset in there I've been sitting on from Ribble, that would be ok too?

Clark Nova posted:

My '99 gt edge had one

Around '12 there was a company named whiskey making them. I haven't looked recently

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

wooger posted:

Can you not just replace the bearings with a matching set known to be of good quality (NTN etc)?

Seems insane to be getting rid of cane creek anything given the artisanal level price.

This, all day long!
It's very easy to press in new bearings, and with the money saved you could buy a bearing press and several pairs of bearings.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

wooger posted:

Assuming you have BSA BB?

With present (outboard bearing) BB designs this is likely 100% just down to the quality of the bearings, bearing seals and packing with extra marine grease for water sealing on install.

Have you taken out your crankset, cleaned and regreassed everything (and tipped the water out of your frame), checked the bearings themselves and re-installed? Might just be grit trapped somewhere.

The most waterproof by far are old school internal cartridge BBs, which might not be compatible with anything else.

I finally got everything taken apart yesterday to discover the completely seized bearings. There was some really fine grain sand coating the plastic BB insert so I think that got into the bearings and seized them up. The bearings only started moving again after popping off the dust covers and pushing them around with a dental pick. Cane Creek does not advertise the BB as serviceable and there doesn’t appear to be an easy way of extracting the bearings from the cups.

I’m buying a Hope BB to replace it because it has serviceable bearings. I’ll be sure to add some fresh marine grease before my next race with mud and creek crossings.

resident fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 8, 2024

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

If you're keeping the bike and maintaining it (and kept the original hardware!?!) who gives a gently caress.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

resident posted:

Cane Creek does not advertise the BB as serviceable and there doesn’t appear to be an easy way of extracting the bearings from the cups.

You just need a bearing press I’m sure. Do you really think that a $150 BB cannot have the bearings replaced?

Hope stuff is fine, but sealed cartridge bearings are just commodity replaceable wear components, you are wasting a lot of money to buy nearly identical bearing cups.

FWIW I doubt there is any more durability in any of this stuff vs. a £20 Shimano Ultegra BSA BB, if it fits your cranks.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
If you don't want to use a blind hole puller / slide hammer to remove bearings, you can get something like the Unior BB30 / BB90 removal tool. The BB90 removal tool should work with 6805 or MR2437 bearings found in 24mm spindle BBs.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hadlock posted:

So if I drop this partial 105 groupset in there I've been sitting on from Ribble, that would be ok too?

My '99 gt edge had one

Around '12 there was a company named whiskey making them. I haven't looked recently

I think you're going to be disappointed.

1" threadless was such a flash in the pan, and it never overlapped in a meaningful way with disc - there were a few oddball bikes with between like 1998 and 2002, but I don't think there's any non-custom 1" disc fork being made. You'd be hoping for NOS or used.

Is disc a requirement for what you're doing? Columbus make a reasonably priced 1" rim brake fork.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

bicievino posted:

I don't think there's any non-custom 1" disc fork being made.

There's the crust romanceur fork but it would ruin the handling of a vintage road bike.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

wooger posted:

You just need a bearing press I’m sure. Do you really think that a $150 BB cannot have the bearings replaced?

Hope stuff is fine, but sealed cartridge bearings are just commodity replaceable wear components, you are wasting a lot of money to buy nearly identical bearing cups.

FWIW I doubt there is any more durability in any of this stuff vs. a £20 Shimano Ultegra BSA BB, if it fits your cranks.

I googled a bit a didn’t see any mention of replacement instructions and Cane Creek doesn’t sell replacement bearings first party so I assumed the worst. I’m now realizing the commodity of bottom bracket bearings and seeing tools like this that should help with extraction. I’ll hold on to the old BB cups and if I end up doing a build in the future I’ll look into swapping the bearings then.

This bike, a Bearclaw Ti frame with EEWings cranks, is one I’m willing to pay premium for fancy looking components so I’m taking the opportunity to get BB cups that better match the overall Ti + purple color scheme.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Hadlock posted:

Just don't post it in the Classic and Vintage section of bikeforums and you'll be fine:)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's been so long I looked at this last it's all fallen out of my head at this point

A '87 trek road bike is going to have what kind of... headset(?) is it going to have? It's just a piece of 1" ID steel tubing, effectively?

If I buy this bike is there some kind of combo/crown etc I can use to put a carbon fork on it. In my mind quill== 1" so I just said quill

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Hadlock posted:

It's been so long I looked at this last it's all fallen out of my head at this point

A '87 trek road bike is going to have what kind of... headset(?) is it going to have? It's just a piece of 1" ID steel tubing, effectively?

If I buy this bike is there some kind of combo/crown etc I can use to put a carbon fork on it. In my mind quill== 1" so I just said quill

If it has a quill stem from that old, it's going to be 1" threaded.

There are both 1" threaded and 1" threadless carbon forks out there, and 1" threaded and threadless headsets.

Some of my older bikes (which is most of my bikes) have 1" threaded carbon forks on them, and some I converted to 1" threadless by switching to a threadless headset so I could use modern stems (with a 1" to 1-1/8" spacer).

It just comes down to what you ultimately want to do and availability of parts. It's probably going to be easier to find a 1" threadless fork nowadays, and threadless is going to be easier for you to swap poo poo around to get the right fit unless you already know what you need as far as a quill stem (unless you get one of those threadless quill stem adapters). Threadless ending up being easier for me to deal with in general, because I ride a generally smaller bike frame, so all the threaded forks I was finding were for bikes with way larger headtubes so the threaded part of the steerer tube didn't go down far enough to actually reach my headset without a shitload of spacers. That then made it easy for me to find forks because I could get a threadless fork, or a bigass threaded fork and just cut off the threaded part.

I've linked this before, but here's my retro-roadie 1994 Performance R-204, converted to 1" threadless: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1994-performance-r-204-di2-22182 by switching the headset to a Cane Creek threadless headset. Most of that stuff then got swapped over to my 1987 Centurion Lemans RS until the frame broke:

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 9, 2024

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

To followup on my post about chronic performance issues and lingering quad pain from two months ago:

I had a wide series of blood tests done and am in normal range for metabolic enzymes, iron, testosterone, etc. Everything except ferritin, which is 25% over the high end of normal. My PCP isn't concerned about it, but I wonder if it is indicative of another underlying problem. High ferritin can be a by-product of inflammation, and I was tested twice, not once, so it's not an aberration.

Coincidentally, I started to suspect my road bike fit was an issue. When I first started having chronic quad pain in 2021, I thought my saddle was too low and raised it (realistically, it was probably overtraining syndrome). It relieved pressure temporarily but I think the saddle was ultimately too high and compounded issues over time. The seatpost screw became stripped and I wasn't able to lower the saddle anymore, so I spent 2 years riding 3-4 mm higher than I should have. I started riding my gravel bike a lot more this winter due to overall discomfort on the road bike and started to feel much more comfortable with the fit of that bike, and set PRs on most of the gravel roads in my area, which is pretty solid work for being February-March and not summer when I'm closer to peak shape. The quad pain diminished or dissipated during some rides altogether.

After 9 years and 45,000 miles, I bought a new bike Thursday (Trek Emonda) that was professionally fit at the shop. I'm hoping after one or two months my legs might restore themselves after being exacerbated by a bad fit.

If I still have acute quad pain at 250+ watt efforts by the start of June, I'll proceed with an orthopedic consultation. Metabolism has been eliminated as a contributor, except for ferritin.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Komet posted:

To followup on my post about chronic performance issues and lingering quad pain from two months ago:

I had a wide series of blood tests done and am in normal range for metabolic enzymes, iron, testosterone, etc. Everything except ferritin, which is 25% over the high end of normal. My PCP isn't concerned about it, but I wonder if it is indicative of another underlying problem. High ferritin can be a by-product of inflammation, and I was tested twice, not once, so it's not an aberration.

Coincidentally, I started to suspect my road bike fit was an issue. When I first started having chronic quad pain in 2021, I thought my saddle was too low and raised it (realistically, it was probably overtraining syndrome). It relieved pressure temporarily but I think the saddle was ultimately too high and compounded issues over time. The seatpost screw became stripped and I wasn't able to lower the saddle anymore, so I spent 2 years riding 3-4 mm higher than I should have. I started riding my gravel bike a lot more this winter due to overall discomfort on the road bike and started to feel much more comfortable with the fit of that bike, and set PRs on most of the gravel roads in my area, which is pretty solid work for being February-March and not summer when I'm closer to peak shape. The quad pain diminished or dissipated during some rides altogether.

After 9 years and 45,000 miles, I bought a new bike Thursday (Trek Emonda) that was professionally fit at the shop. I'm hoping after one or two months my legs might restore themselves after being exacerbated by a bad fit.

If I still have acute quad pain at 250+ watt efforts by the start of June, I'll proceed with an orthopedic consultation. Metabolism has been eliminated as a contributor, except for ferritin.

I had a lot of chronic muscle and tendon issues over the past decade after marathon training while partying heartily in my 20s. Two things that seem to have helped over the past year are quitting coffee cold turkey for a couple months and doing PAILS/RAILS exercises for my muscles that would cramp and strain easily.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Is there a bike that has an upright riding position that could be ridden cross country (mainly on paths, but not necessarily paved)? My wife is pretty keen on being upright for her first bike but I'm not sure if what she wants is impossible / will suck.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
What do you mean by paths, not necessarily paved? Hiking trails in the forest? A plain city bike with decently wide tires and maybe a front fork suspension will do just fine on gravel paths like this:

This happens to be an ebike but it doesn't have to be. As a kid I used to go on 20 km rides in the summer on an old step-through on gravel roads like this. I forget if it even had gears, it might have had a three-speed internal gear hub maybe? It was mostly quite flat though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Quizzlefish posted:

Is there a bike that has an upright riding position that could be ridden cross country (mainly on paths, but not necessarily paved)? My wife is pretty keen on being upright for her first bike but I'm not sure if what she wants is impossible / will suck.

If you go to a bike shop and try a few different definitions of "upright" you'll have a better idea. I think people are generally surprised when they try a road bike the first time because its way more stable and comfy than it seems. Having said that the right bike is the one you want to ride, so no wrong answers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Quizzlefish posted:

not sure about a truly upright posture, but there are definitely a fair number of distance/crosscountry/bikepacking riders who use flat or riser handlebars instead of drops either due to an injury or mobility issue or because of comfort.

I forget her name, but there’s a fairly young long distance bikepacking YouTuber who’s tried a bunch of nontraditional handlebar setups because of a wrist injury and who ultimately went with hybrid-style flats for a long time before switching to a more bespoke ergonomic/orthopedic handlebar setup (I think they’re like A-frame handlebars or something of that nature).

But yeah, tldr, I’d start with either a hybrid bike setup or a gravel/bikepacking/touring/etc setup with flats or risers. Both of those will have her posture more upright and will give her a wider and more secure hand placement than drops at the expense of aerodynamics and hand position variety. You can get bar-end grips or something similar (think like an old school late 90s/early 2000s mountain bike) if you want more hand placement variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The current Giant Cypress has a few versions with a suspension front fork. But even without that, the Cypress is a nice, upright hybrid with a 7-speed, 1× drivetrain, 45 mm tires, and the one I had featured a really low granny gear. I rode the hell out of that bike until I got my Escape, and while I've since gone on to drop bars for longer rides*, I still use my Escape quite a bit for things like grocery runs and short-to-medium-length bike rides. It helps that I put fenders on it, so it's also my wet weather bike.

And having said that, I miss that Cypress. It had a suspension seat post and was super comfortable. I sold it to a friend who went to Driving Jail because of a seizure. He's ridden the heck out of that bike around his house in the suburbs where not being able to drive is almost the same as house arrest. And he's a been a runner for decades; he used to always needle me for being a cyclist, because it turns out there's a lot of bad blood between runners and cyclists that I didn't know about. Yet, he rides that thing and loves it. The Cypress is a great bike for people who don't identify as cyclists.

* when I started riding in 2020, I didn't know what kind of cycling I'd eventually get into. But, because of what's available in my area and what I ended up enjoying about cycling, I ended up liking long, often solitary, rides on mostly paved paths, light gravel, and local roads. And, drop bars are ideal for that, although I'm more into drops that have a slightly more upright posture, like All Road and Gravel bikes.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 13, 2024