Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
A short and sweet tale of a spine.

AITAH for blindsiding my cheating spouse with divorce papers?

quote:

My spouse has been having an affair for a few months now. I discovered it after seeing a message on their phone. They know cheating is a no-go for me and an instant relationship ender. For that reason, I decided to go to a lawyer and get the divorce papers prepared without saying anything. Our relationship continued without a problem during these few weeks and I served them the papers yesterday. They were shocked and asked me the reason crying as if they do not know it.

I told them I knew about their affair. They said I should have talked to them before doing that and we can still save our relationship. I told them saving it is not my responsibility as they are the one who killed it. They told me it was cruel and continuing our relationship as if everything is okay was wrong. They could have at least prepare themselves if I were to let them know about wanting a divorce. I told them they can get ready with their lawyer now that they are served.

AITAH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

wheatpuppy posted:

I meant the bit where she said, "we had to go around the corner to find a place for him to change.". I took that to mean he did actually change, but it is not explained well.

Here is a totally mature, grown-up man:

AITA for grounding my daughter for ruining our vacation

What, you expect the adult to control himself? He can't say "no" to a bet, that'd be a sign of weakness! Instead he will just pout dramatically every time he is bested by a child.

So she showed him how to do Sodoku but he didn't know she was good at it? How would she have shown him if she wasn't?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

So she showed him how to do Sodoku but he didn't know she was good at it? How would she have shown him if she wasn't?

But she's a girl. Of course he expected to beat her.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

DoubleNegative posted:

I will only accept being divorced slowly and at a comfortable pace

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The dude got repeatedly swindled by a literal child so hard and so many times that he had to cry to mommy about it. Call me crazy, but I think he might not exactly be MENSA material.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I just ate lunch, my lawyer says I need to wait at least 30 more minutes before I get divorced to avoid any cramps

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The text breakup guy, I know that feeling. My first relationship was straight out of high school, and one night randomly my then girlfriend called me to tell me that she didn't think it was working and I wasn't doing enough, yadda yadda. Anyway, I could hear people trying to talk quietly in the background.

So I told her that it sounded like she's clearly thought about this and I would never want to be in her way, so she was right that the correct thing to do was break up. I wished her a good life and hung up, and moved on.

Years later we met at a party and she told me that her at the time best friend told her she needed me to "prove I'd fight for her" and gave her the script. That even at the time she thought it was a dumb idea, but went through with it, and that it was the biggest mistake (at that point) of her life.

She then asked if it was possible to ever get back together and I just told her I don't date exes.

Play silly games, win silly prizes.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

This is a long one but I couldn't not post it due to the bolded part at the end of the update

Am I wrong for being uncomfortable with my wife being friends with her friend after something she accused me of?

Update - 6 days later

I can smell every subject of this post

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

wheatpuppy posted:

So there's being the adult who punishes a child for beating an adult at multiple bets. But then there's being the adult who'd taken these bets and apparently approves of this outcome, or at least stands by and watches it happen. Like, how do you have any sense of pride left after that?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Deified Data posted:

I can smell every subject of this post

I’m sorry you know these people that well

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Legitmately shook I ended up sort of on the side of a hentai-and-feet guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, it can be fun to be friends with a poo poo stirrer but it can blind you to when it's happening to people close to you.

Me exiting the poo poo stirring club weekly meeting: I didn't think they would stir MY poo poo!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Biplane posted:

You gotta encourage the ones who aren't actively asking women for feet pics all the time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Honestly guy just sounds like he has kinks but isn't, like, making it his personality or actively trying to subject everyone to it. And at that point it's not really different to any other kink someone could be into, except I don't like it. But he sounds like no one has to actually deal with that so Hentai Footguy is okay by me.

Also this is why I always make sure the *first* people I stir poo poo with are friends, so they don't get surprised when I torment people I barely know. It's just polite.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

DoubleNegative posted:

love a good pete story

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

wheatpuppy posted:

But she's a girl. Of course he expected to beat her.
This would also explain why a guy in his late 30's (or older?) thinks he can beat a state champion swimmer.

I wonder if he's also part of the irrationally confident 8% of Americans who think they can win hand-to-hand combat against elephants and lions and bears.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

MagusofStars posted:

This would also explain why a guy in his late 30's (or older?) thinks he can beat a state champion swimmer.

I wonder if he's also part of the irrationally confident 8% of Americans who think they can win hand-to-hand combat against elephants and lions and bears.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

syntaxfunction posted:

Honestly guy just sounds like he has kinks but isn't, like, making it his personality or actively trying to subject everyone to it. And at that point it's not really different to any other kink someone could be into, except I don't like it. But he sounds like no one has to actually deal with that so Hentai Footguy is okay by me.

Also this is why I always make sure the *first* people I stir poo poo with are friends, so they don't get surprised when I torment people I barely know. It's just polite.

Hentai Footguy is the name of my sasscore band.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

Well it depends on if they're girl elephants or bears

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought they meant "around the corner" as in finding another place nearby with a bathroom or something, but that would be the funnier option
I pictured him going into an alley and like ducking behind a dumpster or something.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Dunk his wife in the acid vat for talking about his foot thing with friends, she's the worst person in that story tbh

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Remember the one where the young woman’s friend proposed to her out of no where? It got an update:

[UPDATE] My (25F) best friend (24M) proposed to me. I’m confused and mortified. Where can we go from here? HOPEFULLY FINAL UPDATE

quote:

Original Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/s/NYwOKIyv70

First Update: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/s/8eNEmoVOqh

Hey it’s me again!

Still doing okay and hoping this will be the last update I need to make (Granted I thought the last one would be the last). I did say I wasn’t going to make another update unless something significant happened. That’s why it’s been a week, so I’m sorry for the silence.

Following my update post, Jordan’s mum did message me back on Facebook, that same day. We had a chat for a little while, she’s a really nice lady 😊
She agreed though that this was incredibly out of character for Jordan, and in fact, she mentioned a few other things that she had noticed as being ‘off’ about him in the last few weeks. Nothing crazy, just things here and there she’d never known him to do or say.

I spoke with her at length about Jordan’s mental health and potential psychosis, and she told me that there is a history of mental illness on his dad’s side, including a paternal uncle’s suicide, but that she doesn’t know all that much about it because they’ve not spoken to one another in quite a long while.
Our conversation lasted about an hour, I showed her Jordan’s texts etc and she agreed that they sounded quite manic, regardless of how coherent they were.

A lot of people also asked if he had told our mutual friends and acquaintances that we were dating. I did message our mutual friends, our dorm mates etc and they all basically said they’ve got no idea what I’m talking about. So it seems he’s just been sort of having these thoughts by himself without expressing them? I don’t know how to get in contact with his close friends that we don’t share, so I can’t really ask them.

Anyway, for a few days, that was it. Until yesterday evening anyway, which is where the big and positive depending on how you see it update comes.

I got word from Jordan’s mum that he had been detained under Section 136 by the police. For anyone not from the UK or who (like me) doesn’t know what that is, from what I can tell it basically means he was suffering from an obvious mental health disorder in public, with their behaviour concerning enough that they’re a danger to themselves or to others, and police think they need immediate and urgent care.

What I know from here is pretty minimal. I’m not sure where he was taken to, but his mum said that he would be there for the day while they perform a mental health assessment (so I assume that’s what they’re doing today). She said that essentially he had been out in the streets yelling about things, she didn’t specify what, and intimidating other people on the street. He was throwing things around and generally just causing a lot of issue. Police got called because people thought that he was drunk. They established he wasn’t (not sure if that’s just from how he was acting, breathalyser etc? I honestly don’t really know how it works) and that’s all I know.

His mum and I again had a chat and we sort of assume that mental health / psychosis is likely right. The rejection of the proposal probably set him into a spiral of getting worse in the last few days, bringing us to where we are right now. I do feel pretty awful about that. I’m doing my best not to blame myself, but it’s hard not to feel like I caused it.

Either way, way, he is currently with police / mental health professionals etc likely being assessed.
I don’t know how the system works, so I’m not sure what will happen beyond this point. If someone with more knowledge wants to chime in, please do.

I’m hopeful though that this will mean Jordan will be able to get some help for whatever it is he is currently dealing with.
My hope is therefore I won’t *need* to update again, and this can end here.

I have yet to speak to the university about the situation just yet. Not really sure how to / if I should approach that, so I’m leaving it be for now.

This has been a whole lot of emotions, and I really appreciate the help of everyone on my last two posts.

Again, I won’t update again now unless something major happens, but I highly doubt I will learn much more.

Thanks again everyone, and thanks for following along. It’s been really reassuring to have this support and people with way more understanding than I have to help me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Technically she would be disqualified and he would indeed have won the serve

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for wanting to go on a guys' trip as a gay man ?

quote:

I (21M) am in a friend group with 4 other guys. We planned to go at the end of this month on a 3 days guys' trip together, without any of our partners. All the other guys from my friend group are straight as far as I'm concerned and most of them have girlfriends currently. Well one of my friends, let's call him "Antonio" (22M) has a girlfriend, let's call her "Gina".

Well Gina wasn't happy to find out about this guys' trip she wasn't invited to and she found issue with me being invited on the trip over her, outright asking her boyfriend why was I was invited instead of her or any of the other guys' girlfriends. When everyone told her cause this is a guys' trip, she said that she doesn't find it fair that a gay guy is allowed to go alongside them but not any of the girls.

I was perplexed and asked her wtf did she meant by that and she said that I know exactly what. I said that I don't and asked her if she seriously thinks I'm gonna have sex with the other guys on the trip, but she just said that she didn't mean like that and she just didn't find it fair her boyfriend wouldn't invite her on this trip. Honestly I was completely done with her by that point and just got up and left the conversation.

Well apparently Gina and Antonio kept arguing over this issue and now Antonio's asking me if I would reconsider dropping out of our guys' trip cause me being there is causing issues in his relationship. I told him that he's being ridiculous to try to kick me out of this trip over his girlfriend's weird insecurity issues and thankfully all the other guys backed me up on this. Well now Antonio's saying that if I'm going then he might have to drop out of the trip instead cause according to him he has too much of a good thing going with Gina to risk losing it, which I found completely absurd, especially when the trip's location was a place he really wanted to see and absolutely nothing innapropriate was gonna happen on this trip.

AITA ?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for wanting to go on a guys' trip as a gay man ?
I can't decide if
1) Gina really thinks the OP is going to have sex with Antonio
2) Gina is just really homophobic and doesn't want Antonio to interact with the OP because of that
3) Gina just doesn't want Antonio to go at all and she's just latched on to this as an excuse (in which case what if the OP really just was like "oh okay fine I won't go"? But maybe she didn't actually think it through that far)

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

mystes posted:

I can't decide if
2) Gina is just really homophobic and doesn't want Antonio to interact with the OP because of that
3) Gina just doesn't want Antonio to go at all and she's just latched on to this as an excuse (in which case what if the OP really just was like "oh okay fine I won't go"? But maybe she didn't actually think it through that far)

(4) Gina suspects Antonio leans that way and is afraid of competition.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

5) me want thing, but not get, instead supporting character get. not fair! me mad! how help other people see not fair?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Crocobile posted:

Remember the one where the young woman’s friend proposed to her out of no where? It got an update:

[UPDATE] My (25F) best friend (24M) proposed to me. I’m confused and mortified. Where can we go from here? HOPEFULLY FINAL UPDATE

I want this to have updates because I desperately want to know what the gently caress.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I want this to have updates because I desperately want to know what the gently caress.

It seems fairly clear that "the gently caress" is a psychotic break of some kind? Which is just sad all around.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

mystes posted:

I can't decide if

I think it's close to #2: Gina is homophobic and thinks of gay men as not fully counting as men, so if a gay guy is there then it's not really men only, so why can't she go too?

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

cult_hero posted:

(4) Gina suspects Antonio leans that way and is afraid of competition.

(5) Gina is homophobic and thinks gay men aren't really men

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Doc Hawkins posted:

5) me want thing, but not get, instead supporting character get. not fair! me mad! how help other people see not fair?

This. She's jealous, and is trying to find a way to go too.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah I was reading it as "Gina thinks a gay guy is basically just a woman so therefore why is she being excluded?"

Which is still homophobic, but in a different way!

Edit: Supporting evidence is how many of these loving stories involve a partner demanding to join their partner for their guys/gals/friends/college graduate only trips?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I think it's close to #2: Gina is homophobic and thinks of gay men as not fully counting as men, so if a gay guy is there then it's not really men only, so why can't she go too?

It's definitely this.

Even Tim Allen's conservative sitcom had an episode with a moral lesson "Gay women are not the same thing as men, gay men are not the same as women"

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Yeah, that one confused me because she kept insisting that no other girlfriends were allowed to go, so why did OP get to go, and I was wondering which of the guys he was dating since he said they were all straight. Because if he's not one of their boyfriends, then her argument makes no sense. But apparently it's not the "no significant others" she has a problem with, it's that she thinks of him as a woman, and therefore other women should get to go.

Sad that Antonio picked her over his friends.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is the bet version of that lady who said she was mind controlled into an affair.

i was thinking of the bet version of the guy who kept getting his rear end kicked fighting everyone

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Biplane posted:

r/relationships: Legitmately shook I ended up sort of on the side of a hentai-and-feet guy

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Biplane posted:

https://i.imgur.com/75OtBW8.mp4

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

wheatpuppy posted:

wheatpuppy posted:

I told him my daughter was warned to stop but she decided to test me and now he’s forcing her to stick to the custody schedule (technically I have her every other weekend but he was letting her go back and forth whenever she wanted) and is threatening to go to court for child support and back pay.
Not just a lovely parent but also a deadbeat, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

My favorite comment on that story so far

Redditor posted:

Dear lord, please give me the confidence of a mediocre white man