Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Warhammer Fantasy just required so many models. Skaven were loving cool as hell though.

Like just a ridiculous number. I remember I played Chaos Dwarves and friend played Wood Elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Skaven really are the coolest. Did GW ever try to transplant them into 40k?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
originally the hrud were supposed to be space skaven, but they got retconned into weird gigeresque timey wimey fuckers

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

Not a drat nipple in the bunch. How am I going to convince other players to join in a binding resolution to destroy all nuclear weapons and enter into a new era of peace and equality without a little nip??

The Wet Nurse is literally all nipples. There are also alternate characters called "pinup" models that are pretty gratuitous.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If you read the word "catachans" backwards it sounds like "snack attack"

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Is there any good lore on what daily life / standard of living is for the average crewman and officers of Imperial warships?

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Vernii posted:

Is there any good lore on what daily life / standard of living is for the average crewman and officers of Imperial warships?

In the book Fifteen Hours there’s a human teenager that is mowing a lawn. His lawn mower breaks and has to change the oil but then prays when doing it, like a person in the current year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vernii posted:

Someone post the bit about how the torpedoes are loaded

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vernii posted:

Yes, the Forges of Mars trilogy. It also shows up a bit in other books all over the place. Basically, it depends entirely on your rank. High ranking officers get nice quarters with glassaic devotional windows and food and so on. and then it goes all the way down to, like, classic barracks style bunk bed situations with a regular allotment of vita-paste or slab or some other food-like substance from the galley.

Below that, you've got stuff like gun-slaves who are worked to death loading shells the size of a city bus into the guns, the communities of hangers-on who build shanty towns in various unused sections of the ship, mutants and castaways eking out survival in the darkest forgotten corners of the ship, and, of course, lots and lots of servitors.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

To be fair... posted:

In the book Fifteen Hours there’s a human teenager that is mowing a lawn. His lawn mower breaks and has to change the oil but then prays when doing it, like a person in the current year.

One of my favorite little bits of 40k lore is one novel that described a character as a "lay mechanic"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Yes, the Forges of Mars trilogy. It also shows up a bit in other books all over the place. Basically, it depends entirely on your rank. High ranking officers get nice quarters with glassaic devotional windows and food and so on. and then it goes all the way down to, like, classic barracks style bunk bed situations with a regular allotment of vita-paste or slab or some other food-like substance from the galley.

Below that, you've got stuff like gun-slaves who are worked to death loading shells the size of a city bus into the guns, the communities of hangers-on who build shanty towns in various unused sections of the ship, mutants and castaways eking out survival in the darkest forgotten corners of the ship, and, of course, lots and lots of servitors.

Isn't there a story where some of the slave crew complain about the conditions and rebel, and the Imperial officer is like "yes of course you're right this is horrible!" and has them all turned into servitors?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vampire Panties posted:

Isn't there a story where some of the slave crew complain about the conditions and rebel, and the Imperial officer is like "yes of course you're right this is horrible!" and has them all turned into servitors?

I don't recall that story specifically but it sounds legit.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I believe it's in one of the recent Dawn of Fire books, Wolftime, there's a PoV character that's in charge of a gun turret on an imperial ship. They get boarded and taken over my Orks, and their situation does not noticeably change other than the color of their overseer.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Vernii posted:

If it's slice of life stories you're after, there's a whole bunch of crime novels set on a hive world and that's probably the closest it gets to exploring what life is really like living under the yoke of the Imperium of Man aside from the random descriptions of civilians in the other books.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

anatomi posted:

Skaven really are the coolest. Did GW ever try to transplant them into 40k?

gw did transplant the skaven into 40k, they called them the imperial guard

Cool World VCD
Feb 5, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014
What's great about the mooted Amazon series is that it absolutely needs a detached critic and not a superfan to oversee it. You need to set some hard ground rules and show some serious restraint to make it work for a mainstream audience.

Take the wackier or more openly derivative elements (and the sexless supermen) and consign them firmly to the sidelines, play up the smallness and relative ignorance of the protagonists in a vast galaxy filled with mystery, perhaps tell an investigative story so the entire thing doesn't devolve into a series of CGI battles, capitalise on the success of Dune by focusing hard on the Catholicpunk weirdness and relative depth of the Imperium...

but then they asked Henry Cavill back in 2021 about whether he'd want to play Eisenhorn, and he politely indicated that he thought this would be a waste of his talents when he could be a 12-foot Primarch in big golden pauldrons instead.

I imagine the creative meetings involve a lot of writers sobbing as Henry tells them they have to find a way to fit Trajann Valoris into the story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That sounds boring as poo poo and the usual way adaptations get hosed up by turning it into the same soap opera garbage all the streaming failkids want to make and bedgrudgingly slap an IP name on and then rage at the nerds for not liking it.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Henry Cavill is good at dispelling myths about nerds.

Not all nerds are ugly and not all nerds have brains.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I hope there's no space marines and it's mostly guard, but also orkz fighting nids. The orkz stop fighting the guards when they realise the nids won't ever run away

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ilmucche posted:

I hope there's no space marines and it's mostly guard, but also orkz fighting nids. The orkz stop fighting the guards when they realise the nids won't ever run away

There's literally a corner of the galaxy where nids and orks are in a constant grinding stalemate (and the orks are of course having a ball) but the imperium is worried that sooner or later one side's gonna win and gonna be either very grizzled experienced orks or very well fed nids looking for their next target.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

grobbo posted:

What's great about the mooted Amazon series is that it absolutely needs a detached critic and not a superfan to oversee it. You need to set some hard ground rules and show some serious restraint to make it work for a mainstream audience.

Take the wackier or more openly derivative elements (and the sexless supermen) and consign them firmly to the sidelines, play up the smallness and relative ignorance of the protagonists in a vast galaxy filled with mystery, perhaps tell an investigative story so the entire thing doesn't devolve into a series of CGI battles, capitalise on the success of Dune by focusing hard on the Catholicpunk weirdness and relative depth of the Imperium...

but then they asked Henry Cavill back in 2021 about whether he'd want to play Eisenhorn, and he politely indicated that he thought this would be a waste of his talents when he could be a 12-foot Primarch in big golden pauldrons instead.

I imagine the creative meetings involve a lot of writers sobbing as Henry tells them they have to find a way to fit Trajann Valoris into the story.

sir this is the setting with orbital drop castles

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's literally a corner of the galaxy where nids and orks are in a constant grinding stalemate (and the orks are of course having a ball) but the imperium is worried that sooner or later one side's gonna win and gonna be either very grizzled experienced orks or very well fed nids looking for their next target.

I think the nids won.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sir this is the setting with orbital drop castles

I understand this; on the other hand, they did make a movie already where the semi-identical bald action men shot at the spiky action men for 70 minutes and it was bad.

A TV show with baroque little freaks running around in mega-cathedral cities solving heresy crimes or whatever might be a better use of all that goofy excess and a more serviceable platform to tell an actual story, therefore, is all I'm saying.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 8, 2024

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

I say they tell the origin story, but gender swap half the primarchs and make women space marines a normal thing, muhuhaha

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

THE BAR posted:

I think the nids won.

That's odd since orks never lose: If they win, they win. If they run away they can come back for another go. See? They never lose.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

chainchompz posted:

If it's slice of life stories you're after, there's a whole bunch of crime novels set on a hive world and that's probably the closest it gets to exploring what life is really like living under the yoke of the Imperium of Man aside from the random descriptions of civilians in the other books.

Day of Ascension is also good. It's about life on a lovely Imperial planet before it gets eaten.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cessna posted:

Day of Ascension is also good. It's about life on a lovely Imperial planet before it gets eaten.

i love that book because its an interesting look about the genestealer cults and how stupid mechanicus infighting fucks the imprium and how the cults kinda accept their fate because its better then being a slave class to some nerdy dickheads

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I do t think they've actually even said what the 40k show would be buts it'd be dumb to not just make it the Gaunts ghosts series.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if this thread gets me to read my first wh40k book im gonna be PISSED.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

flubber nuts posted:

The Infinite and Divine is good just as a sci-fi book, you don’t need any further knowledge of the universe to enjoy it. And it’s just one book, not a series, so you won’t feel required to keep going.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

oh poo poo actually i just remembered i read most of 'into the maelstrom' when i was 12 because there was a badass scifi man on the cover. i remember it being pretty boring.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Uhhh you guys almost make me wanna read a 40k book, starting to feel the urge. Please stop. (Dont stop this thread rules)

Yeah this:

flubber nuts posted:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

flubber nuts posted:

Vaults of Terra trilogy is fun and gives strong descriptor of how lovely life is on future earth and details the political machinations enough for them to be background but not the feature. Very little space marine in it

The Infinite and the Divine is a good fun story that could be not 40k if it wanted to be. Audiobook of it is pretty good.

Realmslayer was a dope as hell audio drama featuring Brian Blessed that I think handles the AoS setting well. I didn't know poo poo about Mortal realms AoS poo poo when I spent an audible credit on it and holy poo poo was it entertaining and handled how the realms work well imo. Also the Gotrek main character actively shits on the setting constantly bc he's from the old world. A few times I had no idea wtf was going on only for the main character to be like "I don't know how this works and I don't care. I'm gonna punch God in the face"

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 8, 2024

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
As a kid, I loved the Konrad books based on Warhammer fantasy. Just set-piece after set-piece of guys fighting hosed up little guys in dungeons and poo poo. They seem to be out of print now, however.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have the majority of the Slayer novels.

I realize they are trashy pulp but I enjoyed the story of gotrek and felix

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

If the ham show even remotely focuses on space marines it’s completely doomed and I don’t have the faith to believe that gw can resist the siren call of their poster children.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah that's definitely wrong and space marines are very clearly the biggest draw to 40k for the widest audience so would make the best opener for the show

now keep in mind I don't necessarily disagree with you, but saying, at least initially, focusing on marines would doom the show, is flat out wrong. setting the stage with spess mehreens is the way to go to draw in non-warhams

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
there is literally 0% the Amazon show is not about spess mahreens IIRC space marines outsell other factions 2-1, maybe more?
I'm assuming the show completely glosses over/redefines how geneseed or initiation works, keeps all the other factions off screen, and its like a TV show version of Aliens. Potentially weird flashbacks to spess mahreens fighting other factions, but it will be very strictly limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Mr Teatime posted:

If the ham show even remotely focuses on space marines it’s completely doomed and I don’t have the faith to believe that gw can resist the siren call of their poster children.

Space Marines fighting, that's cool.

Space Marines as people? so loving boring....

Every third word would end up being "brother".