Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dreezy posted:

boy i never get tired of "star wars should have been written better instead of written badly" posts my loving favborite

lol

but yeah you people seriously need to get a life. can we argue about dunc for 5 pages instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dreezy posted:

which proves kevin smith > star wars

as mind fuckingly dumb as he is, smith's films have more artistic validity than anything disney has put out since the lion king. and he's not a legacy artist either which already puts him above 95% of the competition from an artistic standpoint.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

No Mods No Masters posted:

You have to remember that in disney obi wan and leia went on (perhaps countless) adventures together before a new hope. Don't get me wrong that is definitely very stupid but it does give some more context to ben ren

Doesn't explain why she didn't him her kid Obi Wan then.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The RLM thread has been going around in circles from Star Trek to Star Wars to Rich Evan's personal life and back again for like 10 years. If that doesn't interest you how have you managed to stick around this long?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

The RLM thread has been going around in circles from Star Trek to Star Wars to Rich Evan's personal life and back again for like 10 years. If that doesn't interest you how have you managed to stick around this long?

Because complaining about the cycle is part of the cycle, criticism is subsumed into the whole, and the process continues unabated

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Endless Trash posted:

Because complaining about the cycle is part of the cycle, criticism is subsumed into the whole, and the process continues unabated

*Rips massive bong hit*

Fuuuuiuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LanceHunter posted:

Dreaming of the world where Star Wars went full David DeCoteau “shirtless twinks wandering around aimlessly” somewhere around episode 2.

Chewbacca vs D.B. Cooper.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Doesn't explain why she didn't name her kid Obi Wan then.

You have to figure they're at least keeping the option open of a few seasons of the obi wan show, that could very well be the big reveal of season 3 or 4 or whatever. Yes, it's come to this

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The loving countdown to realization

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kingo Ligma posted:

*Rips massive bong hit*

Fuuuuiuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkk

We're all like... in loops maaaaan. Like that show westworld. WE'RE the robots.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Endless Trash posted:

wonder if they'll bring him back for matrix 5 or keep going with NPH

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Obi-Wan's force ghost possessed Leia's kid, that's why they named him Ben.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i liked matrix 4, if the last act was actually good it would have been a subversive masterpiece

now they're just doing 5 anyway poor lana lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I found out a bunch of people think Peter Falk's unnamed character "Grandpa" in the Princess Bride is supposed to be Wesley from the story and now theres a lower level of media illiteracy for me than "heres what really happened at the end of the dark crystal" 15 minute youtube video.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Barudak posted:

I found out a bunch of people think Peter Falk's unnamed character "Grandpa" in the Princess Bride is supposed to be Wesley from the story and now theres a lower level of media illiteracy for me than "heres what really happened at the end of the dark crystal" 15 minute youtube video.

i purge having read this from my brain with chemicals, it shall have no sway on me

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barudak posted:

Also just general history. I wonder what they think the 1920's were like. Like did they think World War One was a bunch of sword fights and castles sieging?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Also just general history. I wonder what they think the 1920's were like. Like did they think World War One was a bunch of sword fights and castles sieging?

Remember when The Chicago Bears had to apologize for William Perry's insults towards Florinsians?

But seriously, it seems to be either "the past is all fantasy castles until the moment I began existing" or "the story is an entirely fictionalized retelling of the real events" and both hinge entirely on Grandpa saying "as you wish" at the end as though the book he just read to the child didn't feature that phrase prominently.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Barudak posted:

the ending was the only part that made any fuckin sense!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

https://x.com/jaybauman1/status/1777530831570870735?s=46&t=7IX9GxbIEPra1x9IFSEgww

GNSC

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

dreezy posted:

boy i never get tired of "star wars should have been written better instead of written badly" posts my loving favborite

Can I interest you in a 70 minute video essay about it? It has skits & funny voices

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

Did he shrink or smth?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Grandpa went from being an englishman to being from the Bronx, somehow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In those days we called Brooklyn Florin, which was the style at the time

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Barudak posted:

This can’t be true. There’s no possible way. How dare you

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Barudak posted:

both hinge entirely on Grandpa saying "as you wish" at the end
huh. this must be a mandela effect thing, I definitely remember the last line in the movie being the grandpa quoting the book to the grandson, but I could have sworn the line was "I'll most likely kill you in the morning," implying that the grandpa was actually the Dread Pirate Roberts

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Cubone posted:

huh. this must be a mandela effect thing, I definitely remember the last line in the movie being the grandpa quoting the book to the grandson, but I could have sworn the line was "I'll most likely kill you in the morning," implying that the grandpa was actually the Dread Pirate Roberts

"sleep well, and dream of large women"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

jazzyjay posted:

I just checked cause I wasn't sure but the last Kevin Smith movie I saw was Dogma when it was in CINEMAS. I FEEL SO SMUG RIGHT NOW.

I've never seen a Kevin Smith movie.

What do I win???

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

billymumphrey posted:

I've never seen a Kevin Smith movie.

What do I win???

A signed copy of yoga hosers

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
That doesn't sound like much of a prize...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://twitter.com/nicocolaleo/status/1777508744316031047?s=46&t=wNf75G2WiIjbMjBMYW-m7Q

They let him out of Wisconsin?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
sometimes he just wakes up in random cities, no recollection of how he got there

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Since start wars is inspired by Japanese hero stories and an Obi is a form of sash around a robe (i learned this from a girl who is doing a study to work in fashion), do you guys think that's partially where the name Obi Wan came from?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

heard u like girls posted:

Since start wars is inspired by Japanese hero stories and an Obi is a form of sash around a robe (i learned this from a girl who is doing a study to work in fashion), do you guys think that's partially where the name Obi Wan came from?

A New Hope is a rip off of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress so it's probably safe to say Obi-Wan's name is supposed to sound Japanese. He was originally some kind of rat creature so we would've got the prequels alien racism a lot earlier if they'd gone through with that.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

babu frik is actually an ancient sumerian sex god

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Has anyone seen monkey man? I’m in Dubrovnik and it’s the only interesting looking movie playing atm

E: the other option is the zone of interest but I’m pretty sure that’s already on streaming for free

Barudak
May 7, 2007

heard u like girls posted:

The mans name is sash dogbark sword sash in Japanese so I blame the hacks at fox for not giving us authentic Obi-wan Kenobi who was a little weirdo furry man

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

babu frik is actually an ancient sumerian sex toy

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lmao you’re in the most beautiful city in Croatia and want to see a movie. Go outside!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

poisonpill posted:

Lmao you’re in the most beautiful city in Croatia and want to see a movie. Go outside!!!

I’ve been outside all day dummy