Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Buying a car? Yeah right grandpa, now like i said you need to update your payment method to your Car Access Premium subscription. While i assist you with that want i see you're still on the 70 ride per month ultra plan, do you want to upgrade that to the Extreme plan that offers monthly ride rollovers and a 5% discount to your McBreakfast membership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Jestery, is that you?

No , mine is gayer and only slightly better engineered than a cybertruck

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ignore_Me posted:

Yeah it was Spyro Anewgame, known racist and KKK collaborator

This is not someone you should make a lead in a children computer game sony, the gently caress!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

waaaahhhhhh waaaaaah lol

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Looks like the NY Post is about to get officially downgraded to a member of legacy media after today's article - Tesla’s Cybertrucks were ‘rushed out,’ are malfunctioning at astounding rate

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I saw my first trvck today, the waviness in the sides, and the very, very visible greasy fingerprints all over the door were pretty funny.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

MunchE posted:

The average human driver gets in an accident once every 18 years. Basically every adult in our society operates a motor vehicle daily and the vast majority of them do so without incident. People are pretty remarkably good at navigating all sorts of complicated inputs and translating that into operating a car safely.

You buying yourself a self driving car that'll drive home for you when you're drunk is 20 years out, if ever

Regardless of whether traffic incidents are rare on the individual level, the argument for the technology on a population level is clear. Traffic collisions are one of the leading causes of loss of disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) due to premature mortality in the United States. If we have a technology that can reduce traffic fatalities and injuries, then we absolutely should use it.

I never said anything about purchasing a self driving car. I agree that personal ownership of a self driving vehicle is several years off at least. However, self driving vehicles are already operating as taxis in SF and their ridership has increased markedly since the program started. The program is being rolled out to other cities.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol he's really having a meltdown now

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

kazil posted:

I see the Brazil understander has logged in

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The only way to solve the problem of too many traffic accidents is to have less traffic. The solution already exists, it's busses and trains and poo poo, but that doesn't appeal to people who think they are the main character and absolutely need to have their own private transportation.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Politics is just sports and he wants to watch "real football"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Elviscat posted:

I saw my first trvck today, the waviness in the sides, and the very, very visible greasy fingerprints all over the door were pretty funny.

Identity theft rules

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Kramjacks posted:

The only way to solve the problem of too many traffic accidents is to have less traffic. The solution already exists, it's busses and trains and poo poo, but that doesn't appeal to people who think they are the main character and absolutely need to have their own private transportation.

I agree with the sentiment but I am a pragmatist. If we have a technology that saves lives, we should use that technology to save lives. We shouldn't just sit here idly while we hope society will suddenly see the error in their ways and reorganize the entire American way of life around public transit (as much as that would be better for us).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ZeusCannon posted:

Politics is just sports and he wants to watch "real football"

I think it's more he just really like supporting facists like Bolsonaro. There's plenty of other poltics stuff he doesn't care about, but then there's a loud mouth prick from the far right, he'll put in his support.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I truly do not understand how anyone falls for these anymore. A couple years ago, sure. But there have to have been thousands of these at this point, and none of them have made anyone any money. How the gently caress do they still get viewers???

People just want to believe. How many people have been told MLMs are a scam, signed up for one and lost their rear end, then a year later they sign up for a different one? Because this one, this will be the time you get rich quick. People are desperate and will believe anyone telling them what they want to hear.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Wow Im surprised elon has such bad lawyers after personally vetting their 3-5 bullet points

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1527748229470646272

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rosalind posted:

I agree with the sentiment but I am a pragmatist. If we have a technology that saves lives, we should use that technology to save lives. We shouldn't just sit here idly while we hope society will suddenly see the error in their ways and reorganize the entire American way of life around public transit (as much as that would be better for us).

Except we don't currently have the technology. Self driving, even non-tesla self-driving, is just not loving there yet, and as evidenced by the chucklefucks who are on their phone or playing games or otherwise completely oblivious to the road when they have an obligation to remain alert in case of an emergency or a failure on the auto drive's part, there's still a massive cultural shift around personal responsibility while using a self driving car that would need to be applied.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why dont we invest the billions in car AI into car standardization stuff like nav lights and "better" infrastructural.

like not to devil advocate , we could probably get away with dumb computer assisted driving if we had better street markings and organization, no potholes ever, etc.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I truly do not understand how anyone falls for these anymore. A couple years ago, sure. But there have to have been thousands of these at this point, and none of them have made anyone any money. How the gently caress do they still get viewers???

Here's the thing, do you think your awareness of this scam reflects the awareness of the general public of this scam?

Given how the scam triggered (someone opening up what they believed is a legit contract document that's actually an executable file on a computer that also has the credentials saved for a YouTube account), it's very easy for a channel to get taken over even nowadays.

If someone is unaware of the scam, they could easily fall for it, and it's no different than the fake Microsoft support call center scams in that someone who doesn't immediately sniff it out as bullshit from the jump is gullible enough to send money. But unlike the call center scams, it takes far fewer people needed to be scammed to be considered successful/profitable because there's considerably less overhead in keeping the scam going.

Not every channel has a large enough fanbase to get the word out that a channel has been hacked and to notify the channel owner so that steps can be made to get the channel back. And you can't assume that every person who stumbles across one of those fake crypto streams will know that it's bullshit.

These scams still happen because these scams still work.

Here's an example: when Linus Tech Tips (and associated channels) got hacked in the same way, they were notified pretty quickly that it happened, and the channel's fans immediately started warning people what was going on. That channel has a fanbase that leans towards the more tech savvy, but yet, there were a lot of people who completely fell for the scam because they had never seen it before and didn't see the warnings that were happening. We know this because they posted in the LTT subreddit and forums when it was happening about falling for it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Rosalind posted:

Regardless of whether traffic incidents are rare on the individual level, the argument for the technology on a population level is clear. Traffic collisions are one of the leading causes of loss of disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) due to premature mortality in the United States. If we have a technology that can reduce traffic fatalities and injuries, then we absolutely should use it.

I never said anything about purchasing a self driving car. I agree that personal ownership of a self driving vehicle is several years off at least. However, self driving vehicles are already operating as taxis in SF and their ridership has increased markedly since the program started. The program is being rolled out to other cities.

"if technology could magically solve this problem we should do it" is an easy argument to get behind, but in practice operating a motor vehicle in our world is *hard*. There are a lot of weird edge cases. Humans navigate all sorts of exceptions and weird situations in vehicles all the time. We understand all sorts of subtle things that the Camera and Lidar robot doesn't. It's great that they have a mostly functional robotaxi that operates in a dense urban environment that would be better served by literally any form of public transit, but the idea that we can just throw out general use robotaxis and they'll be replacing humans soon is a pipe dream, which is why almost every company in the industry has either left the space or greatly slowed their investment in it. The poo poo just doesn't work.

Musk isn't even subtle about it - they want to replace public transit, not cars. They just want to be able to charge you money every day for something that used to be cheap or free, the same as these dipshits wanted to "fix" banking. A subway solves every problem the SF Robotaxi solves with way less downsides. Meanwhile for the hojillions of suburbanites that just want their car to commute for them, these crappy L2 automation systems are actually making the problem *worse* because they're convincing Joe Dipshit his car can drive itself and then it runs over a kid or rear ends a fire truck. The fact that we're spending so much time spinning our wheels dreaming of cars that magically drive themselves is holding back the reality that we need to design infrastructure and living spaces that don't require an expensive and dangerous vehicle to exist within.The fact that self driving cars "kinda sorta" work doesn't mean they're actually safer in any meaningful way, and Tesla's have been proven by outside sources to crash 4x more than other vehicles - I'm sure the autopilot/FSD scam is a major part of that.

The problem with the whole thing is the assumption the computer is actually better at driving than a person when it most certainly is not and appears to be decades away from being so. We just go "other drivers on the road are bad, so people are bad at driving, so replacing them with a computer is good because the computer is definitely better than people" without requiring them to actually prove the thing is actually better at the task it's supposed to do.

Breetai posted:

Except we don't currently have the technology. Self driving, even non-tesla self-driving, is just not loving there yet, and as evidenced by the chucklefucks who are on their phone or playing games or otherwise completely oblivious to the road when they have an obligation to remain alert in case of an emergency or a failure on the auto drive's part, there's still a massive cultural shift around personal responsibility while using a self driving car that would need to be applied.

This is exactly what I'm trying to convey. We don't have self driving. We don't have a computer that is safer than a human. We have a couple science experiments that can sometimes drive a car without crashing and sometimes run over people or crash into fire trucks. The assumption that they're safer than humans is exactly that - an assumption, and it's incorrect. Of course Musk pushes this bullshit because he's a con artist and it helps him sell his scam.

MunchE fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 9, 2024

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Looks like the NY Post is about to get officially downgraded to a member of legacy media after today's article - Tesla’s Cybertrucks were ‘rushed out,’ are malfunctioning at astounding rate

quote:

In a thread titled “Worst delivery in my life (truck died in 5 minutes),” a Southern California-based owner wrote that after taking his truck for a spin the same day it was delivered last month, the vehicle “made it 1 mile down road, started getting steering error, flashing red screen, pulled off side of highway now the truck is dead and I’m waiting for a tow truck.”

“Dealer couldn’t do anything for me. It was great for 5 minutes. Tried everything, restarting, screen is stuck black and keeps beeping,” the user added in the thread, first reported on by automotive news site Jalopnik.

quote:

A separate thread featured a “WTF moment” in which the owner said his Cybertruck’s auto-pilot feature seemingly malfunctioned as another truck approached in the other lane while both were driving on a highway.

“My Cybertruck suddenly made a hard brake stop when we both have a clear wide enough space between us,” the user, who goes only by Andrew, wrote.

“Luckily there is no vehicle at the back as it would have been a definite collision.”

quote:

On another discussion board, Tesla Motors Club, a Cybertruck owner wrote a review so critical of Tesla’s supposedly highest-tech vehicle that the user was barred from the Cybertruck Owners’ Forum.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

had to check that this wasn't an old post

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
did musk post any real science stuff today or was he in a ket hole and woke up to post with his regressive pals?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

speaking of Chaya and prison

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Just confirmation of what we already knows - Mr. Genius never even thinks to do any research of any sort on his own for anything - he'll just swallow whatever he's fed online without a second thought.

Edit: This line is also particularly funny to me because he's talking as if the nazi accounts only have a few "bad" tweets scattered about their timeline that are pretty easy to mess - as if they are ever subtle about anything, ever.

if you go by musk's house and knock on his door he just lets you in, no need to ask who you are

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

quote:

On another discussion board, Tesla Motors Club, a Cybertruck owner wrote a review so critical of Tesla’s supposedly highest-tech vehicle that the user was barred from the Cybertruck Owners’ Forum.
They just forgot to add they still love the car.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

shyduck posted:

speaking of Chaya and prison

i doubt anything will happen to that dumb rear end in a top hat. it seems like being a dumb rear end in a top hat is being rewarded in the us right now

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kazil posted:

I feel so sad/bad for Fauci. A hero who dedicated his professional life to battling infectious diseases for all of humanity.

To become one of the Chud's boogeymen is so far below him, and yet. Hey wow, professional CEO Iron Man Elon Musk is just the same piece of poo poo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kazil posted:

did the CIA take over musk's account???

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Just got home from 5 days in LA. Total number of cybertrucks seen: 3. One on the Pacific Coast Highway, one in Marina del Rey, and a painted one (black) on Rodeo Drive.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

kazil posted:

PROSECUTE HIM FOR WHAT YOU GODDAMN IDIOT

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

An addendum from Miles Klee regarding his new article about the deposition

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/elon-musk-defamation-lawsuit-fact-check-twitter-burner-accounts-1235000968/

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i dont know what Sig. Bank is, and was going to quip that musk is jealous his poo poo everything app still cant do its own banking/fin, but apparently Sig. bank was one of the """""big"""""" bank failures/closures from 2023??

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

elon literally has 1 joke. jfc

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

PhazonLink posted:

i dont know what Sig. Bank is, and was going to quip that musk is jealous his poo poo everything app still cant do its own banking/fin, but apparently Sig. bank was one of the """""big"""""" bank failures/closures from 2023??

I don't think you need to think about it in any more depth than "Chud say go woke go broke hurr durr"

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

did the CIA take over musk's account???

'member when the cia tried to take over bolivia for lithium mining, musk crowed about it, adn the operation failed?
lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol the most divorced guy in history is somehow even sadder than previously thought

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Strong Sauce posted:

elon literally has 1 joke. jfc

yeah, well your pronouns are bad/post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I hope one day I get to see Musk given the Richard-Spencer-on-inauguration-day treatment.