Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Sega made far fewer mistakes between '95 and 2000 than MS has with the Xbox brand in the last 2 years.

I don’t think anyone can match shadow dropping a console to retailers and causing them to not carry your product lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Sega was just too ahead of its time. Shadow dropping a brand new console, only at a few select retailers, would get you all the tiktoks and clicks and whatever these days. Maybe even some money.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If Sega still made consoles they likely would have done gacha console boxes. 1/100 is a gold color and 1/1000 is a crystal clear one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A fair price to pay for Skies of Arcadia 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I don’t think anyone can match shadow dropping a console to retailers and causing them to not carry your product lol

Let's just say Sega never made a 69 billion dollar mistake.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Paying2Lurk posted:

Sega was just too ahead of its time. Shadow dropping a brand new console, only at a few select retailers, would get you all the tiktoks and clicks and whatever these days. Maybe even some money.

They would probably skip the retailer drama and send it directly to influencers / streamers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The dreamcast pop-up will be open for one day at a random location in Soho

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Let's just say Sega never made a 69 billion dollar mistake.

Consolidation is all that’s left for this industry to do. Sony would buy everyone if they could. It also gave MS massive inroads into mobile, which actually makes money.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Thank you to the goon who had or was getting the Bloodborne tattoo. Just rolled credits on the secret ending, thus earning me a shiny new platinum trophy. I also got all the trophies for the DLC. Good game, I'd probably give it an 8/10. Great graphics, cool setting, combat's pretty perfect. Lotta wild boss fights, even if most of em were just big weird tentacle monsters. I liked that there wasn't a huge amount of gear in the game to try to minmax. Most of the levels were kind of straightforward and short-ish.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, I still haven't bought Dragon's Dogma II, but I'm on the fence. I've owned the first game for a while and never played it, should I try it for a bit and just see how much I like it, considering the sequel seems pretty similar?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Consolidation is all that’s left for this industry to do. Sony would buy everyone if they could. It also gave MS massive inroads into mobile, which actually makes money.

Good for them, I'm not really of a mind to give a poo poo what they do, MS is not a company I patronize. That said, even if they were exclusively developing 300 million dollar AAA games (which imo is not the direction the industry needs to or should keep heading, nor can they even get their poo poo together to ship one or two), 69 billion dollars buys the price of several hundred of those easy. Now, let's say half that money could be spent on good wages paid to indie devs to come up with new and interesting things, wouldn't that be an innovation. For all of Sega's faults and missteps they exited the hardware space innovating down to the very last moment. MS will exit the console space slowly farting up the room with subscription services and being actually responsible for much of the consolidation that they are currently bemoaning is some sort of natural course of events.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Arist posted:

Hey, I still haven't bought Dragon's Dogma II, but I'm on the fence. I've owned the first game for a while and never played it, should I try it for a bit and just see how much I like it, considering the sequel seems pretty similar?

Yeah, in some ways I liked the first more than 2 (but 2 is a definite improvement in terms of combat and world exploration for sure)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sony would buy everyone if they could.

Okay, but they can't. I think it's good that they can't. That they would if they could (they obviously would) doesn't make them equivalent to the company that actually did the thing (not that I'm trying to defend the morality of a corporation, heavens forfend)

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
60 hours of blowing up robots and squashing bugs and I have the Plat in helldivers 2. This game is so drat addicting. I'm glad a couple of my buddies talked me into getting it. I haven't played an online multi-player game since the og modern warfare but this poo poo is a blast. Even playing random games with pubbies has been enjoyable.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Its definitely one for the books

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Arist posted:

DD1 kinda famously doesn't make a good first impression, it takes time for the plot and game mechanics to pay off and set the game apart. I wouldn't bother with DD1 unless you plan to play it entirely, a quick try might only put you off. If you're at all interested in DD2 just jump in IMO.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Good for them, I'm not really of a mind to give a poo poo what they do, MS is not a company I patronize. That said, even if they were exclusively developing 300 million dollar AAA games (which imo is not the direction the industry needs to or should keep heading, nor can they even get their poo poo together to ship one or two), 69 billion dollars buys the price of several hundred of those easy. Now, let's say half that money could be spent on good wages paid to indie devs to come up with new and interesting things, wouldn't that be an innovation. For all of Sega's faults and missteps they exited the hardware space innovating down to the very last moment. MS will exit the console space slowly farting up the room with subscription services and being actually responsible for much of the consolidation that they are currently bemoaning is some sort of natural course of events.

I’d argue both Sega and MS had consistently been ahead of the market and failed due to bad timing. Sega with their online attempts, MS with built in voice activated controls (bundled with an always on camera right when Snowden leaked the cia spying on us all lmao). MS was in mobile before the hardware was capable of doing anything, WebTV before HDTV’s, etc. But Sega pissing off their only distribution channel to sell to consumers is unprecedented afaik.

Arist posted:

Okay, but they can't. I think it's good that they can't. That they would if they could (they obviously would) doesn't make them equivalent to the company that actually did the thing (not that I'm trying to defend the morality of a corporation, heavens forfend)

consolidation will temporarily stave off closures but poo poo will collapse because it seems to be a feature of late-stage capitalism. I agree it’s not something we should all want, but it’s inevitable as it’s happening in every industry.

The closest MS came to loving up as bad as Sega was the Xbone launch, which is still biting them in the rear end.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 8, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

hey, anyone who's played the new MGS collection -- how did they handle Psycho Mantis and plugging your controller into the player 2 port?

e: spoilers, i guess

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 8, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

“I see you like….(scans pS5 for Konami games) umm metal gear”

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Phenotype posted:

hey, anyone who's played the new MGS collection -- how did they handle Psycho Mantis and plugging your controller into the player 2 port?

e: spoilers, i guess

they have a pause menu thats turned on with l1/r1 where you can change settings like screen size, scanlines, return to app menu etc, and which controller port is plugged in. mgs2 has it too now but i dont think mgs3 does, mainly cos of button setups i think. i recall them wanting to add remapable to buttons to everything tho. in the main app page before you launch your version of the game, you can add all the save files to a memory card for him to read too, all regions too

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

veni veni veni posted:

“I see you like….(scans pS5 for games) umm ”

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
What's the matter? You don't like games?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Paying2Lurk posted:

What's the matter? You don't like games?

god gently caress no, gaming sucks!!!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ShoogaSlim posted:

what games do you like

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

If you have a completed save file for Metal Gear Survive on your console psycho mantis kills himself out of fear of your gaming power

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

exquisite tea posted:

$ony killed the Dreamcast in 2001 with fake sales figures and directly caused 9/11. Overall, a pretty successful year for them.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/20-years-later-how-concerns-about-weaponized-consoles-almost-sunk-the-ps2

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Pretty sure Sadam using PS2s as missile control systems sold a lot of units. Great marketing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The PS2 processor is powerful enough to know where it is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Who was it that used the PlayStation 3 for military stuff?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

I said come in! posted:

The United States.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Phenotype posted:

Okay gently caress this Red XIII boss fight with a passion. It is really bad form to lock you into a fixed 2-person team (including the one team member I've never had any interest in playing) and then put you in front of a difficult boss fight with an insta-death mechanic that comes 5 minutes in. This is a place for gimmicky fun do-the-mechanic use-the-character's-abilities set pieces, not a difficulty spike with multiple places to fail and get a game over. And frankly, this game feels way too mashy and imprecise to demand a lot of the things they're demanding with the combat, with such little signposting from the monsters. My second try, I get a ways in and the boss grabs Red, so I swap to Barrett and start dealing damage, and then I dunno, the boss erupts in purple energy and Red is dead and Barrett is down below half, and then dies as I use a Phoenix Down on Red, who dies a second later, and I don't even really know what happened that I can fix on the next try (except that I didn't want to try anymore).

Also not a fan of some of the map design. The bane of my existence is when you need to go here, and you walk towards the marker and it turns out here is on top of the cliff, and then you run around the entire cliffside looking for The Official Place that you're allowed to go up (and maybe you don't even find it because it's somewhere else!)

I just did this fight (on the default difficulty level) and it seemed fine?

(points to head) you can't die to doom if you've died and been revived beforehand

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

i loving hate games and everyone involved in them.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

I said come in! posted:

THE PATRIOTS

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The patriots?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vikar Jerome posted:

THE LA LI LU LE LO

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The la le li lu le lo?!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The Aristocrats

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I recall Fall Out Boy used to sing about going downtown in them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Small list of games out this week

10th April

Broken Roads (PS5, PS4)
House Flipper 2 (PS5)
SokoFrog (PS5, PS4)

11th April

Let's! Revolution! (PS5, PS4)
Loretta (PS5, PS4)
The Kindeman Remedy (PS5, PS4)

12th April

Outer Terror (PS5, PS4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Been enjoying the hell out of Persona 3 Reload. I've also been afflicted with terminal brainworms and trying to get the Platinum trophy on both PS4 and PS5 (and yes I'm following a "100%" guide for this, given the tight windows the game gives you to work with). The whole situation with PS4/PS5 is a very unusual one:

The game leverages a single "network" save slot, that lets you transfer progress between PS4 and PS5 in both directions. However, there are two significant gotchas to this:

1. Trophies do not carry over, so if you transfer a save that's past some one-time events like storyline moments and bosses you're SOL for those trophies on your secondary platform without a fresh playthrough.
2. There are a few trophies that track some data in an unusual way that isn't really leveraged inside the game proper, for example there's a trophy for opening 50 treasure chests. These are tracked on a weird level that's separate from the game's core save data, and when you load a save from the network slot those stats are reset to 0 (so you might not want to actually toss saves back and forth, you're better off sticking to a "main" platform and then having the other as a "secondary" platform where you don't commit to results of whatever it is you do to fast-track earning whatever trophies you need). For the most part this isn't as bad as it seems, although there are two trophies from outside Tartarus that this is more painful for: one for earning 50k yen doing part-time jobs, and one for accepting five phone invites from people (the ones that typically arrive on Sunday mornings and never arrive on days where you have school or otherwise don't have a "daytime" free choice activity block.

The 50k one is actually not too bad if you just focus all of your free time blocks on it for a few weeks especially with a later game save where you've got access to all the jobs and maybe some raises as well (work at Screen Shot on "daytime" free choice days where you don't have a phone invite, Be Blue V during "after school" free choice weekdays, and the mall cafe M-W evenings when you have free choice), but the 5 phone calls one is somewhat obnoxious because it's difficult to find a clean moment in the game to replay where you can knock it out quickly and not need to redo a ton of "storyline" stuff you can't easily fast forward through, and while receiving phone calls is something that's consistent and not randomized, whether or not people will text you is based on a lot of hidden stats that are difficult to narrow down (e.g. each "rank" has a hidden experience meter, and when it's maxed out the character is "ready to level" for the next time you meet them wherever they usually hang out, but they also no longer text you since the game "knows" that would just be a total waste of your time). There might be a better opportunity in the late game, but I think the method that stands the best chance of success is transferring a save over on 7/25. 7/26 gives you an opportunity for invites, and from 8/2-8/9 there are something like 5 different days where people can potentially text you, and there's just a small boss battle in that window you can set the game to "peaceful" difficulty on (and will need to earn the trophy a second time for anyway).

So if you follow that and are vigilant about doing save transfers before earning any "missable" trophies for actions that you can't repeat, the only thing you'd need from there is around 2 decent Tartarus runs to burn through the remaining trophies that work via stat tracking, I think something like 2-3 hours would tidy it up from there.