Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, there was some really rough use of it last season. Like the prison break planet and the finale stuff with the 10C.

I think Disco S4 was filmed before SNW seasons 1 and 2, so they've had a bunch of time to refine their use of it since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Strange New Worlds is fantastic. I was whelmed by the 1st episode but it quickly improved from the second episode onwards.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Strange New Worlds worth watching? I loved Picard Season 3 and am a child of 80s and 90s Star Trek. I think Discovery is awful and doesn't feel like Star Trek at all.

Given these viewpoints, would SNW be more in the vein of Discovery or Picard Season 3? I watched its first episode which did nothing for me but I'd be willing to try it if it's "your father's Star Trek".

SNW is basically what TOS would have been if it was made today - for better and for worse. It’s pretty episodic, with some “mytharc” thrown in here and there, versus the season-long stories of Disco or ten-hour movie of Picard S3.

I think the cast’s charisma forgives some sins, and there are a few episodes that are Extremely Good to some people and Extremely Bad to others.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Alright my dudes, I'll give it a go. And let you know if y'all are right or wrong :cenobite:

As I type this I'm rewatching TNG Season 3's The Ensigns of Command. Jesus Christ, the camel toe visible on Troi is some shots is so pronounced on poor Marina Sirtis. I don't even know if standard definition TV hid that back in the day.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is Strange New Worlds worth watching? I loved Picard Season 3 and am a child of 80s and 90s Star Trek. I think Discovery is awful and doesn't feel like Star Trek at all.

Given these viewpoints, would SNW be more in the vein of Discovery or Picard Season 3? I watched its first episode which did nothing for me but I'd be willing to try it if it's "your father's Star Trek".

If you like picard series 3 then you must like anything - just watch it, it's genuinely good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure about that logic but agree with the conclusion. They liked the very worst season of the absolute worst Trek Show, but don't like any of the second or third worse Trek show. They like the regular good old Treks. There's some kind of window between absolute garbage and regular good they don't like. Discovery is neither bad enough or good enough for them.

Fortunately SNW is a solid Regular Good.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Given these viewpoints, would SNW be more in the vein of Discovery or Picard Season 3?

Oddly enough despite using early Disco as its launchpad I'd say SNW is neither of those things. It's TOS/TNG as produced in the 2020s and with fewer creative guardrails and no Rick Berman, so it takes some wild swings that mostly hit. Loose arcs, characters remember stuff that happened the previous week, memorable events remain memorable, but it's by no means a 10-part story every season.

Honestly, ENT of all things functioned in a similar way even before the Xindi season and that can be easy to forget. Cowboy poo poo Archer pulled would come up again occasionally even in unrelated episodes, character arcs would carry on through individual plots, stuff like that. SNW is basically doing that better in fewer episodes and with the gloves taken off the writers room.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I was skeptical of SNW going in, but yeah, it's good actually. I'm looking forward to Season 3.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I thought very little of the first episode of SNW, then thought it immediately improved. It's classic episodic Trek with a movie budget, and it finds time for a bit of everything - high stakes, low stakes, thoughtful, incredibly dumb, directed by Frakes - everything a healthy Trek needs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

S1E1 wants to be both the introduction to the characters and a message episode with a lot to say, and I think the didacticism of it drags it down a fair amount; the second episode's a stronger orientation to the crew and the setting because the plot gives viewers a much better look into the characters and their viewpoints and opinions

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Episode 1 also has the most references to Discovery, with the show being a spinoff of it, but after that episode they pretty much disappear entirely, other than occasionally referencing the Klingon War.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love that the Admiral admits at the end that he managed to unclassify the thing Pike wouldn't tell him, got to watch Discovery season 2 as a result, and immediately agrees that they must never speak of it again.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

SNW is a definite recommend over Disco and Picard, and I'm one that actually really likes the first episode, it sets the tone for the rest of the series which feels far more like Star Trek then any of the other new series. The casting is amazing, almost every character stands out, which isn't something that you get with nutrek. Disco and Pickard have a bad habit of killing off the interesting crew members after giving them some development, while others like Rafi stick around forever. Although now that she's working with Worf she may have gotten enough likeability to get murdered in the next series.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tiberius Christ posted:

SNW is a definite recommend over Disco and Picard, and I'm one that actually really likes the first episode, it sets the tone for the rest of the series which feels far more like Star Trek then any of the other new series. The casting is amazing, almost every character stands out, which isn't something that you get with nutrek. Disco and Pickard have a bad habit of killing off the interesting crew members after giving them some development, while others like Rafi stick around forever. Although now that she's working with Worf she may have gotten enough likeability to get murdered in the next series.

There's no next series (thankfully), it's over

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Alright my dudes, I'll give it a go. And let you know if y'all are right or wrong :cenobite:

As I type this I'm rewatching TNG Season 3's The Ensigns of Command. Jesus Christ, the camel toe visible on Troi is some shots is so pronounced on poor Marina Sirtis. I don't even know if standard definition TV hid that back in the day.

SD covered up a lot of stuff we weren't meant to see.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It didn't hide it. I remember at the time having a :stare: moment and thinking bright lighting from below + tight catsuit is not a combination for modesty.

Didn't she keep standing with her hands folded in front of her in her Farpoint minidress costume and being told by Gene and co not to? She must have been mortified by 'Ensigns'.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

SD covered up a lot of stuff we weren't meant to see.

Thanks for this, really interesting to see how the older shows were sometimes literally taped together.

It led me to watching the RedLetterMedia discussions on Picard Season 3. Is there something up with that guy, I think he's called Rick? That Joker 2019 laughter at the slightest thing is really jarring. I'm assuming he's quite anxious on camera and maybe on the spectrum, or is it a catchphrase type thing?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks for this, really interesting to see how the older shows were sometimes literally taped together.

It led me to watching the RedLetterMedia discussions on Picard Season 3. Is there something up with that guy, I think he's called Rick? That Joker 2019 laughter at the slightest thing is really jarring. I'm assuming he's quite anxious on camera and maybe on the spectrum, or is it a catchphrase type thing?

Rich? He’s arguably the most normal out of all of them, he just has an annoying laugh.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, he's always been like that. I honestly can't imagine him without it.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rich? He’s arguably the most normal out of all of them, he just has an annoying angelic laugh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I feel bad but I couldn't get through the "things we weren't meant to see" video, even though the subject matter was fascinating and obviously a lot of work went into it. I just found the guy's way of talking incredibly offputting v:smith:v

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I feel bad but I couldn't get through the "things we weren't meant to see" video, even though the subject matter was fascinating and obviously a lot of work went into it. I just found the guy's way of talking incredibly offputting v:smith:v

Ah, this I do know! That's the guy's RLM character when narrating videos. Lots of his videos have him joking about holding his wife hostage in a basement and stuff.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ah, this I do know! That's the guy's RLM character when narrating videos. Lots of his videos have him joking about holding his wife hostage in a basement and stuff.

I think like five of his videos have that as a running joke, the last of which was in like 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Plinkett Star Wars videos are arguably what really launched them to the height of their popularity. They used to regularly do the YouTube thing of strange personalities and skits and scenarios, but at this point they've largely aged out of it, the only semi-regular video of that type that they still do is Nerd Crew, which is explicitly taking the piss out of a particular type of person. Plinkett videos are extremely rare now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you seen that picture where there's a kid next to a rat costume and he's wearing a shirt that says "dick the birthday boy"? He's literally the actual kid in that picture, that's what that experience did to him.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Have you seen that picture where there's a kid next to a rat costume and he's wearing a shirt that says "dick the birthday boy"? He's literally the actual kid in that picture, that's what that experience did to him.

Dafuq?

Also, SNW talk got me thinking that I'd love to see episodes like Cause and Effect, Remember Me, Where Silence Has Lease in a modern Star Trek show. Just weird anomalies and great atmosphere carrying the show. Anything like those in Strange New Worlds?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Dafuq?

Also, SNW talk got me thinking that I'd love to see episodes like Cause and Effect, Remember Me, Where Silence Has Lease in a modern Star Trek show. Just weird anomalies and great atmosphere carrying the show. Anything like those in Strange New Worlds?

Yes, there's some good anomalies.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-aisAWtmw

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I think the Plinkett character has always been a vessel for admittedly pedantic bullshit that no one should be obligated to give a poo poo about. If you let the star trek "goofs" video run long enough he specifically asks the audience why they're still watching and why they could possibly care.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The black uniform things Saru and Burnham are wearing look like AI Balenciaga things.

Holy poo poo this show is still so bad.

Edit - at this point in the show, I really hope the terrible acting of everyone is because they really don’t care… because it’s really bad. Like, none of these people should ever get work again kind of bad.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 9, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jesus, shut the duck up. You don't like it, we get it. You seem completely unable to articulate anything though. You're just like "The acting! it's just so bad! How did anybody on this show ever get a job!" Like gently caress off if you can't even articulate your problem and are just "Thing bad!!!!"

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Jesus, shut the duck up. You don't like it, we get it. You seem completely unable to articulate anything though. You're just like "The acting! it's just so bad! How did anybody on this show ever get a job!" Like gently caress off if you can't even articulate your problem and are just "Thing bad!!!!"

No.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I think the Plinkett character has always been a vessel for admittedly pedantic bullshit that no one should be obligated to give a poo poo about. If you let the star trek "goofs" video run long enough he specifically asks the audience why they're still watching and why they could possibly care.

The Plinkett reviews had as much "content" outside of the criticism as it did to show that they could create a more compelling relationship dynamic than Lucas had. Sure, it's about awful people but they did some art. That's my theory anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Plinkett was sort of interesting at the time. It was weird when they decided to do that VCR repairmen bit for reviewing movies, but what's his face that did Plinkett wanted to be one of the guys that reviews movies, so they switched to Rich playing Plinkett. Like just give up the bit at that point, it didn't work. His voice wasn't even similar and it wasn't funny or interesting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I actually think that when he’s not doing a bit, Rich tends to have much better insights into movies than either Mike or Jay. He’s just tactlessly blunt about it sometimes. Mike and Jay will both hate aspects of movies/tv completely arbitrarily or because it doesn’t match the version they had built up in their heads, and the latter especially can really spout off unintentionally (or maybe intentionally? who knows) misogynistic and regressive poo poo.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I actually think that when he’s not doing a bit, Rich tends to have much better insights into movies than either Mike or Jay. He’s just tactlessly blunt about it sometimes. Mike and Jay will both hate aspects of movies/tv completely arbitrarily or because it doesn’t match the version they had built up in their heads, and the latter especially can really spout off unintentionally (or maybe intentionally? who knows) misogynistic and regressive poo poo.

Rich is often better at just straight up remembering things he saw, too, which is funny in episodes where everyone else gangs up on him because they all misremembered or missed some critical thing and they think he's just making poo poo up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Chairman posted:

Rich is often better at just straight up remembering things he saw, too, which is funny in episodes where everyone else gangs up on him because they all misremembered or missed some critical thing and they think he's just making poo poo up

He also is actually a skilled carpenter where the others don't have many practical skills. Only Rich would be able to make a folding chable

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The knockoff Plinko board he made is genuinely impressive, which makes their garbage loving Enterprise-D model display all the more baffling.

It seriously looks like something they found in a dumpster and repurposed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh my God painting a board black to glue pieces to it is so so bizarre. I legit thought they were going to like, hang each price from the ceiling such that it looked like a floating enterprise model that was a frozen snapshot of an explosion. Maybe even rig up some kind of light fixture with foam, cotton, lattice work or whatever to make it look like a glowing explosion. I've seen things like that in art galleries just no spaceships or not Trek ones.

Even just laying the pieces on a table would've been nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The knockoff Plinko board he made is genuinely impressive, which makes their garbage loving Enterprise-D model display all the more baffling.

It seriously looks like something they found in a dumpster and repurposed.

What's this?