Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I think the biggest thing that prevents true syncretism or the acceptance of other faiths as equally or even partially true is not the idea of one supreme god, but the idea of special revelation, i.e. god himself gave us his words in the form of the bible or the commandments, etc. as opposed to general revelation, i.e. truths that can be inferred from the universe through reason, meditation, etc. Although the bible can be interpreted a number of radically different ways, some things are very much set in stone and there is really no way, for example, to reconcile the contradictions of being a devout Christian who either 1) accepts that other faiths are also valid or 2) declines to proselytize because of social norms, unless said Christian is intentionally ignoring or is ignorant of fundamental tenets of his own religion. How this exclusionary attitude developed probably has something to do with ancient Hebrews' antagonistic relationship with their neighbors, though I'm sure they're hardly unique in that so :shrug:

Actually their antagonism with themselves, a move to secure state power. Due to a fluke of early beliefs two of their gods had kinda merged into the head god role. This has the effect of essentially removing the origin myth from common practice. The new king needs more legitimacy, and so decides to centralize worship around the capital temple. Inconveniently, most ritual practice happened in local shrines or at family hearths, the big temple was mostly used for annual worship. Religion and the state were effectively a two heads one body affair, religious leaders often served in moral roles as judges outside ritual roles, and used divination as the method to resolve disputes of fact.

Problem is, religious law at the time was very vibes based, backed by oral tradition, and king stuff was mostly relegated to making sure the area didn't get conquered and exterminated or overrun by bandit clans. The king was very weak and his laws had little weight over tradition and what felt right. King didn't like that. So he realized that if the rules came from the head god things people would obey. So he and the head gods priests '"""found""" some ancient tablets and scripture law in a box of holy artifacts sitting under the head gods idol in the temple. To avoid the 'wait my god says otherwise' and 'that wasn't there last week's complaints they purged the priests of all other gods, burned there texts and idols, and systematically removed their local sites of worship. They continued finding new stories in their new and metaphor loaded epic history for a few decades until they did almost the exact same thing that got them exiled in the first place and got exiled again.

Seriously it's chronic backstabbing disorder, they rebel against the neo Babylonians, align with Egypt, ambush the Egyptians to try and change sides, get their king killed, then get crushed by Babylon as the Egyptians abandon them over the attempted betrayal. The total destruction of the first temple and local leadership basically erased the last traces of the pre reform religious practices, as intensely local clan cults and practices ceased. You can actually still see some of the decentralized rituals still enshrined in the law, mostly ones around housing, immediate or uncertain ritual impurities(like an unsolved murder), and situations that can't wait to travel to the capital.

But now having the totally authentic words of the true God that came from nothing and tells you not to worship any other gods makes you special. Unfortunately in the late bronze age/early iron age refusing to respect local religion, not observing the civic religions ritual, and saying their gods aren't real is effectively treason. The fact they responded to internal members breaking ranks with lapidation didn't really help. So they rapidly became unpopular basically everywhere they ended up (and with the increaseing migration enabled by true naval empires in the late bronze/early iron age that's basically everywhere). Notably the second exile was caused by monotheistic inflexibility making Judea unable to bend the knee in a way socially acceptable to rome after a rebellion and the only thing that prevented the Romans from deciding on genocide was that the emperor thought it was a step too far.

So yeah a bronze age power grab accidentally cost probably a few hundred million lives total over nothing. Woops.

E. drat that's one hell of a snipe

E2: Read moar: https://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=7083 https://terrorism.lawcomic.net/what-is-terrorism-pg-09-the-first-terrorists/

E3: once again I can't remember which bronze age empire is which
E4 : by the late iron age/early medieval orthodoxy based religions had largely displaced mythical religions in centralized societies. As it turns out, a religion that can get by with a book and encourages banging on about it to anyone who will listen and killing or excluding anyone who won't just takes better. Especially when it becomes the cost of doing business with the guys who has access to your local major trade network.

Barrel Cactaur has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barrel Cactaur posted:

E. drat that's one hell of a snipe

righteous

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barrel these links are very much my poo poo, thank you so much :lol:

https://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=7106 posted:

oh absolutely let's.

edit:

oh hey it's Asherah. I don't think I have posted in here about Asherah. Asherah is interesting.

Yahweh’s Divorce from the Goddess Asherah in the Garden of Eden

Arthur George posted:

Hebrew Bible scholars have long recognized that the writer who penned the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and much other narrative in the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible (called the Pentateuch, or Torah) had a distinctly anti-Canaanite agenda, and that his anti-Canaanite polemic started in his Eden story. Focusing on this helps us to decipher the meaning of that story, as I have stressed in my new book, The Mythology of Eden, and in talks that I’ve given on the subject at scholarly conferences.

This author, known as the Yahwist (because he was the first author of the Hebrew Bible to use the name Yahweh for God), most clearly set out his anti-Canaanite views at the beginning of his version of the Ten Commandments, in Exodus 34:12-15, where Yahweh warns the Hebrews against associating with the Canaanites, intermarrying with them, and worshipping their deities; Yahweh also orders the Hebrews to tear down Canaanite altars, pillars, and asherahs (wooden poles (stylized trees) in sanctuaries that were the cult object of their goddess Asherah (in Hebrew pronounced ah-shei-RAH) and symbolized her). Against this background, the anti-Canaanite polemic in the Eden story becomes apparent, especially that against the goddess Asherah, who at the time was widely viewed by Israelites as Yahweh’s wife or consort. As official Israelite religion trended toward monotheism, the other local deities had to be eliminated (Asherah in particular), and Yahweh appropriated their powers and functions. Insofar as this process affected Asherah, I call this “Yahweh’s Divorce,” and the proceedings began in the Yahwist’s Eden story.

e2: story in the comic continues here though

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Apr 4, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Barrel these links are very much my poo poo, thank you so much :lol:

oh absolutely let's.

edit:

oh hey it's Asherah. I don't think I have posted in here about Asherah. Asherah is interesting.

Yahweh’s Divorce from the Goddess Asherah in the Garden of Eden

e2: story in the comic continues here though

lol that the art style looks like that meme cuck comic

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I am unfamiliar with that comic, Ohtori

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
this one. its funny imo https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/oh-joy-sex-toys-cuck-comic

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that's too allosexual for me I'm afraid

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lmfao. complete immunity............

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I tried to give it the ol good faith reading and my eyes just glazed right over

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
no thats the correct reaction. your instincts served you well.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:lmao:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I assure you that people of all sexualities, kinks and tastes find it incredibly cringe. In theory there's people who don't, and we all pray we never meet them.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats you in the comic

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
lol like i'd be proud

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
hell, you get off on the public knowledge

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i have an alibi for my whereäbouts and activities during the onset of the earthquake

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i am specifically declining any effort to attribute this earthquake or any forthcoming eclipses to my activities

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I will take credit for that earthquake, and possibly also the forthcoming eclipse, depending on how that goes.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i have prepared for the eclipse by reading an eclipse documentary (berserk) and also watching an eclipse documentary (also berserk, we're hosed)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I have prepared for a surprise attack on the Fire Nation.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I've begun charging the Orb Center (the other orbs are just out of frame, laughing; this is part of my regular ritual space, just rearranged a little from normal) with sacred energy already. (I can unironically feel that this eclipse on Monday is going to be a Big one, for me personally if nothing else, since it's passing right over where I live.) The Fire Nation will never know what hit them.

Orbs has issued a correction as of 12:32 on Apr 7, 2024

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

snoo posted:

imagine hating women this much

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

welcome, everybody

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Thank you, welcome, great to be here

Interesting that we're going with Awakening rules rather than Ascension rules. I'm in either way though, Mage is another flawed but fun game. (The larger awakening happening irl is great too of course, but that's still unfolding)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that's coming. We gotta do this part again first

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

that's coming. We gotta do this part again first
:hai:

polycritical
Mar 7, 2024
Awakening is itself throne propaganda to keep others from ascension

Its a dirty rear end trick, but aren't they all

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

maybe we can skip ahead this time. seems like we're all on a similar page

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

how do i summon a succubus

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

loudly say something that would only offend a liberal in a ubus neighborhood

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Trash Ops posted:

how do i summon a succubus

its easy but dont, shes been living on my couch now for over a month eating my pretzels and hair gel and im getting increasingly concerned that the landlord is going to kick us out because of the overwhelming sulfur smell

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought a D&D tarot deck cause I needed something cool to fuel my delulus

But it renamed the minor arcana to custom D&D names

:argh:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

drew the tower but im safe because next card was tensers floating disc, hoverboarding me and my party to safety

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the major arcana tell the story of the fools expedition to the barrier peaks

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

+2 sword reversed

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

closing this thread until wizard wednesday (unless i forget)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

reopening tihs thread because through Jesus Christ all things are possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in