Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Thought this might be the right thread to pose this question:

What lego set would be a good fit for a brief speed-build competition for adults? I'd like it to be doable in 5-10 minutes and be a nice souvenir that the players can take home.

Looking to spend under $100 for four sets but can stretch if the set is particularly cool. Thinking identical sets, but if there's a series that is meaningfully similar to build I wouldn't be against diversifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Not a Children posted:

What lego set would be a good fit for a brief speed-build competition for adults? I'd like it to be doable in 5-10 minutes and be a nice souvenir that the players can take home.

Looking to spend under $100 for four sets but can stretch if the set is particularly cool. Thinking identical sets, but if there's a series that is meaningfully similar to build I wouldn't be against diversifying.

how about the 4 pictures in 'tales of the space age'?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

Maybe a 3-in-1, like the Retro Camera? It's kind of a neat set and then you could have 3 speed competitions in one.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The 3-in-1 creator sets. With a 5-10 minutes limit you can't go too big but they offer a good bang for your buck. There's some really cool ones like animals that would have a wide appeal. There's a really cute new dragon that's 10 euros that could be build in that timeframe.

Anything above 15 bucks is definitely going to take too long, I think.

The deep sea creatures (shark) is also a great choice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We talking lego veterans or people that haven't built since youth?

The small 3-in-1 sets would get my vote. Cheap, readily available, and wide appeal. The sub-150 piece sets for beginners, anything else for those that are turbo nerds like those of us in the thread.

edit - maybe polybag sets too, though I think these days they're almost too simple and are basically just minifig kits.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The latest 3-in-1, fox/owl/squirrel is pretty cool

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
3 in 1 would also be good because people could build whatever they wanted and everyone would feel like they got the same thing (I’d like to think this wouldn’t matter for adults but)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The latest 3-in-1, fox/owl/squirrel is pretty cool

definitely not a 10-15 minute build, and easily gonna blow past the 100$ budget though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They're not my jam, but wouldn't the brick heads be good for that? Cheap, easy (I'm assuming, haven't built one) and recognisable characters.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Butterfly Valley posted:

how about the 4 pictures in 'tales of the space age'?

This is a nice suggestion.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The 3in1 Fantasy Forest Creatures is also a really cute build.

There's also a 3in1 Vintage Motorcycle that has some technic elements if you want to go another route.

If you do want to go a bit bigger there's the White Rabbit which is cool, but also I think that's more of a 20-30 minute build if you go fast, longer if you're inexperienced.

Brickheadz could also work if you know what they'd be interested in.

There's also a couple of smaller flower sets (like 2 roses, sunflowers or lotus flowers) that could work for your audience, but might also not be as interesting or much fun to build.

I think if you're wanting to spend $100 on 4 sets you'll end up with sets that will take much longer than the time frame you have in mind.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I finally bought enough little storage shelves to start organizing my kids' lego collection. I know it'll be a constant work in progress but it'll make building and rebuilding all their torn up sets way easier.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I finally bought enough little storage shelves to start organizing my kids' lego collection. I know it'll be a constant work in progress but it'll make building and rebuilding all their torn up sets way easier.

I recently got some craftsman organizers and it has drastically improved my ability to make mocs. just being able to scan my parts for the right piece or ideas is super helpful

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The succulents and tiny plants might also work if you balance them right.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

PriorMarcus posted:

This is a nice suggestion.

They were staring at me from behind my PC screen so it was an easy one. Not the most thrilling of builds but absolutely fits the budget and having something nice to take home and display criteria.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
My Batman: TAS Gotham came today, and the amount of stickers makes me want to die.

Pretty cool set otherwise.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://youtube.com/shorts/7t_f6SdiUfI?si=aimIt_LKlX4OlZ4r

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The DnD set arrived and boy, is it a big box. 30 something bags, I'm kinda intimidated. I think this is my biggest set so far, a title previously held by apocalypseburg which is only slightly smaller now that I checked.

I also got gifted a flower trellis set (which will be a gift for my mum) and the mimic which I built this afternoon. It's cute but it's also kinda annoying that it doesn't close all the way with the tongue sticking out.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the secondary market for the mimic is officially loving insane. idk what the contract with WoC looks like but it wouldnt shock me if they revisited the mimic as a regular non-GWP set

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wow. Looking at completed listings, it started bad but is just going up. I guess people quickly figured out it was worth more than 60 bucks. 120+ is normal now.

I wonder how high it will go.

E: and there really aren't many for sale yet.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022
Here on my local ebay-ish board (we don't use Ebay in Poland that much, they lost the fight to our local company) there are like two for 70-ish dollars after conversion and one listing for 90-ish.

At this price point just bricklink it. Except the eyes it's gonna be like 1/4th of that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, brickset says it has 168 pieces and none of them look rare to me except for the printed eye tiles. And you could easily substitute those for another, bricklink has 80 results when searcing "eye tile 1 x 1."

I bet you could get it for $25 plus shipping. Plus I think a pink tongue would look better.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lmao wtf?

Like I already built it and I'm not strapped for cash but also it's not that impressive?

I mean it's pretty cool but it's a simple build amd with some color changes I think I could make a couple of others with 95% accuracy.

Getting a third or a quarter of the price of the dnd set back sure is tempting though.

Saithir
Jul 10, 2022

deoju posted:

I bet you could get it for $25 plus shipping.

Yeah, it's telling me about $17-ish plus shipping and that's probably because of the purples, if I'd swap those to a more popular colour it's probably gonna be cheaper still. So no, a box I'll throw away and 4 printed eyes aren't worth an extra > 60.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
gently caress one of these just snapped on my Ghostbusters fire house. If that thing is a timebomb of brittle dark red I'm going to be pissed.

Saithir posted:

Yeah, it's telling me about $17-ish plus shipping and that's probably because of the purples, if I'd swap those to a more popular colour it's probably gonna be cheaper still.
Do you have an importable parts list? I can't find one at the moment and I'm not keen on going through just a piece list one by one.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it on rebrickable under the inventory tab.
https://rebrickable.com/sets/5008325-1/dungeons-dragons-mimic-dice-box/#parts

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 5, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's honestly really dumb they didn't make enough of the mimic. They have to have known a lot of people would want that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Saithir posted:

Here on my local ebay-ish board (we don't use Ebay in Poland that much, they lost the fight to our local company) there are like two for 70-ish dollars after conversion and one listing for 90-ish.

At this price point just bricklink it. Except the eyes it's gonna be like 1/4th of that.

No one is buying it on ebay to build it though, except maybe some edge case whales. And you can't bricklink the packaging.

Assuming the price doesn't crash you could make like $250 buying those and reselling on ebay.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

That's honestly really dumb they didn't make enough of the mimic. They have to have known a lot of people would want that.

I think I said this more than a year ago but a $200 mimic set that looks like a treasure chest but sprouts teeth, a tongue, and eyes with gears and levers and poo poo when you lift the lid would have been so cool.

I get that a Dungeons and Dragons set should have dungeons and dragons, but having that on your bookshelf or desk would be rad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

deoju posted:

I think I said this more than a year ago but a $200 mimic set that looks like a treasure chest but sprouts teeth, a tongue, and eyes with gears and levers and poo poo when you lift the lid would have been so cool.

I get that a Dungeons and Dragons set should have dungeons and dragons, but having that on your bookshelf or desk would be rad.

Something like that was one of the runners up. There were a bunch of other submissions along that line too.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
god drat that's loving fantastic.

the teeth could be a black metal band's logo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I would have been more into that than the set that won.

That set wouldn't be very economical though. It's gigantic for what it is. Probably like 3-4k parts for a brown box with no minifigs. I can see why it didn't win but it would have been cool.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'd pay extra to have my Lego delivered by anyone but DPD. They used to be good, but my last few deliveries have been increasingly poo poo. This morning I was supposed to have my D&D castle and assorted bonuses delivered. I got the e-mail with the one hour timeframe, and like last time, I eventually got an e-mail claiming I wasn't home for the delivery, and that my package had been left with neighbours.

The last time that had happened 'left with neighbours' meant that they'd just dumped it in the lobby of my building. When I'd checked with the address in the e-mail they'd told me they hadn't taken in a package. It turned out that another neighbour had seen the big box sitting in the middle of the lobby and assumed that it was something expensive. He dropped the package off in person later that night.

This time around 'left with the neighbours' meant that it had been dumped in the lobby of another apartment building, two blocks away. Thankfully I was watching my e-main inbox like a hawk this time, and managed to retrieve the package before anyone else could grab it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I ordered the 3 in 1 Fox for my wife last Thursday and it was delivered via UPS on Saturday. Fastest standard shipping I’ve ever seen from Lego.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
At least they're not using Lasershit now for standard shipping in the Mid-Atlantic region.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Working a new idea…
Blocky, way too small and fuckin expensive

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Work in progress, Tie Lancer. gently caress Tarkin Doctrine it’s gonna be an Imperial version of the B-Wing, a
Capital killer with a turbo laser in the second pod (in my head so far), something resembling shields, 2 ion cannons (near the wing tips), and a couple tie blasters so far

This is a very first rough draft, just goofing around with the ship on my couch with its own pieces.

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 9, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

She ain’t helping

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 9, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
For those of you with more experience with collectible minifigs - does ordering a full display box of 36 mean you get three complete sets of twelve?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Skios posted:

For those of you with more experience with collectible minifigs - does ordering a full display box of 36 mean you get three complete sets of twelve?

Varies. Usually I think yes, but in some cases no

Probably the various Lego nerd websites and AFOL clubs will know more, but I don't know if it's predictable at all in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
So hang on, it looks like the lego.com site only allows 12 minifigure blind boxes purchased per series with no time limits. I guess they want to foster the secondary market to collect the full set?