Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think getting this upset because someone said "Hey stand over here for that mechanic" after you die to it is very silly and goofy, personally.
I think people are seeing extremes to my posts that just aren't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

It's entirely possible, upon entering a duty for the first time, to just say "first time, no advice unless we wipe X times please". People aren't required to respect that request, but they probably will! Especially if it's release day.
IMO communication should exclusively go one way. If I don't want advice, it's on the other 7 or 23 people to make sure to ask me before offering help.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Okay, I'm gonna admit that I did remove nuance from the posts that I was answering to. I do still think it's common courtesy to ask people if they want/need advice before giving it, and this goes for both day 1 content and if, for example, you are in a dungeon and the tank is single pulling.

My position isn't that people should never give or receive advice though, but that it's usually better to wait and see if someone is actually struggling, or just hosed up something the first time they saw it because they didn't know it was coming.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
generally a wipe is a pretty clear sign that people are struggling

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Most failed mechanisms in normal won't cause a wipe. Even in my p12n example, we didn't wipe from that one mechanism, but it was more of a gradual deterioration, and the next pull we cleared easily. Most of the time in normal content, a single wipe doesn't necessarily mean people are struggling.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

generally, a wipe or two means that the difficulty is in a good spot

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I hope at least one fight in 7.0 has a Shinryu-tier gotcha that will wipe a fresh party 10 seconds in.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I mean there's got to be some nuance between "I have a macro that spoils every mechanic and I slam that button the moment I see it's a new raid/trial on day 1 of the new content" and "Hey Pinball Greg I've noticed you're struggling with Gale Sphere. That really messed me up when this fight was new 3 months ago. The trick for that mechanic is to..."

Edit: That is to say that I will give advice unless specifically asked not to but I'm not going to give any advice before we wipe once or twice and I am not going to spoil the whole darn fight. This is a cooperative multiplayer game. Part of cooperation is sharing gameplay strategies.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 9, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I saw a guy confusingly ask what they were doing wrong that caused the meteors in the 6.5 trial to one shot them, and someone answered them
That was good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Generally for months old content I don’t have an issue with people giving advice even after only one wipe

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Vitamean posted:

I saw a guy confusingly ask what they were doing wrong that caused the meteors in the 6.5 trial to one shot them, and someone answered them
That was good.

If I am Tanking something new and I wipe more than once and can't figure out what I am doing wrong, I ask.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If you want to do it au natural for raid progging or doing ultimates or extremes or whatever that's reasonable imo. In mandatory msq dungeons/trials? FOH, I don't want to waste 90 minutes of precious time before I can get back to the story. Zero reason with like 5 goon FCs that you can't find 7 other like minded people to do it with you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I’ve never seen a normal fight take 90 minutes in any current, modern content, even on day 1, even with people specifically asking for no advice. People taking arguments to extremes that don’t actually exist beyond incredibly wrong outliers, and if people are taking a full lockout to do normal content, giving advice is not going to help at that stage.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jonny 290 posted:

honestly the high point of EW for me was the playful, joyful sparring with Venat. It's my favorite fight of the game. The mood, the music, all of it is so perfect. It's probably one of my top 5 gaming experiences (the other 4 are also scattered around ffxiv)

That loving song.

This game's soundtrack is almost impossibly good, it's like Soken's made a deal with the Devil or something .

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ended up getting 9th on the TT tourney in the end! Didn't get a single 5* out of the packs but oh well. I guess gunning for 1800 points is enough for top 10 and 4 Platinum packs which should help. I just need to git gud at TT or pray RNG rules bless me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tekopo posted:

I’ve never seen a normal fight take 90 minutes in any current, modern content, even on day 1, even with people specifically asking for no advice. People taking arguments to extremes that don’t actually exist beyond incredibly wrong outliers, and if people are taking a full lockout to do normal content, giving advice is not going to help at that stage.

Good for you! 3 weeks ago I had a dr that landed me in the level 69 dungeon where the healer tank and other dps would not do the elemental gimmick of the second boss at all until I explained it after i failed to do the last 15 % of the boss's hp on the first wipe.

If I had said nothing we'd probably still be fighting it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

that's crazy how that happened to you almost an entire month ago

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Good for you! 3 weeks ago I had a dr that landed me in the level 69 dungeon where the healer tank and other dps would not do the elemental gimmick of the second boss at all until I explained it after i failed to do the last 15 % of the boss's hp on the first wipe.

drat I didn’t know that a level 69 dungeon was released 3 weeks ago, that’s wild.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ImpAtom posted:

I mean this isn't true. 'AFK for a sec' before a pull is something I wouldn't want to miss. I don't want to be a dick to someone because they have to pee.

It's extremely rude to not put on a gamer diaper as soon as you queue for a duty, especially day 1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ABC for every fight, it'll be relevant again one day

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

drat I didn’t know that a level 69 dungeon was released 3 weeks ago, that’s wild.

I mean when 2 of them were sprouts doing it for the first time, it effectively is the same thing for them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I mean when 2 of them were sprouts doing it for the first time, it effectively is the same thing for them.
I mean that was one thing that I decided to joke about. The other thing wrong with your post is that I’m not actually against giving advice, if you had actually read my posts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I mean that was one thing that I decided to joke about. The other thing wrong with your post is that I’m not actually against giving advice, if you had actually read my posts.

My point is that it was new content to someone and your issue with giving advice unsolicited after a wipe is entirely arbitrary and silly because you only seem to care when it's things that are new to you that you wipe on and getting even annoyed by it is kinda dumb.

Especially when it's easily solved by just saying in chat to not give you any help because people tend to want to help teammates out since you need each other to clear so explanations after death are kind of to be expected

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 9, 2024

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thundarr posted:

I hope at least one fight in 7.0 has a Shinryu-tier gotcha that will wipe a fresh party 10 seconds in.

I'm almost always tanking this fight and not moving because of Arm's Length usually catches someone. Which is mean, but makes me smile. Like the BoneZone.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

wiping in normal content is extremely embarassing

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

My point is that it was new content to someone and your issue with giving advice unsolicited after a wipe is entirely arbitrary and silly because you only seem to care when it's things that are new to you that you wipe on and getting even annoyed by it is kinda dumb.
Did it take you 90 minutes to do that level 69 dungeon?

Also, it’s not arbitrary. One mistake? No advice. Repeated mistakes? Fine to give advice, even after only one wipe, as I mentioned previously. That’s it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
7 people flying off the Shinryu platform is very funny, even more so if none of them are new

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Did it take you 90 minutes to do that level 69 dungeon?

Also, it’s not arbitrary. One mistake? No advice. Repeated mistakes? Fine to give advice, even after only one wipe, as I mentioned previously. That’s it.

It took about an hour which is over half an hour over the usual clear time, which, while not the full lock out, is a significant increase in time spent.

And also that is in fact the definition of arbitrary so yeah gettin miffed by it, especially if you said nothing to the party about not wanting any advice on a death is kind of goony, to steal your earlier adjective

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It took about an hour which is over half an hour over the usual clear time, which, while not the full lock out, is a significant increase in time spent.

And also that is in fact the definition of arbitrary so yeah gettin miffed by it, especially if you said nothing to the party about not wanting any advice on a death is kind of goony, to steal your earlier adjective
It’s not arbitrary because the aim is to see if people are actually struggling with something by repeatedly making the same mistake. If you still call that an arbitrary metric I don’t know what else I call tell you.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

*trying to put the triangle in the square spot* please... don't spoil the mechanics, i must learn this myself

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I don't mean to pile on any more than everyone has. But like, thinking that it's a "common courtesy" to hold back on advice until after x amount of wipes isn't a common one. It's not a universally held opinion.

If you want to go in blind and get no advice unless it is needed, then tell other people that you want no advice unless asked instead of assuming other people have the same standard as you. It's as simple as that. If they can't respect that, then you can be rightly annoyed and post about it on the internet.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tekopo posted:

It’s not arbitrary because the aim is to see if people are actually struggling with something by repeatedly making the same mistake. If you still call that an arbitrary metric I don’t know what else I call tell you.

If you wiped the party you're struggling, HTH.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

flatluigi posted:

yup. topic closed

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I don't coddle other players, if they want help they can cowboy up and ask or go look it up themselves.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Look, I’m not sure where the arguments got twisted but even in the p12n example I gave, the guy gave me advice, I said I didn’t need it and that it was day 1, we continued to pull and did a two-pull instead of a single pull. As well as that, I had already worked out what I needed to do before I got the advice. That’s it. I don’t think it’s that unusual to ask people to at least wait until someone makes repeated mistakes before giving unprompted advice. I’m not saying to never give advice. I’m not saying that you should wait a full lockout without saying anything. I’m not saying that I wouldn’t take advice if I kept loving up the same thing more than once.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ojjeorago posted:

If you wiped the party you're struggling, HTH.
Wiping is how you learn, friend.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That is really impressive, considering that the second boss of the 69 dungeon hasn't HAD an elemental gimmick for a year now. It was changed when the place was made Duty Support compatible in 6.4.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Someone makes one mistake on normal content: “He must be struggling and I have to tell him EXACTLY what to do”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr. Neutron posted:

That loving song.

This game's soundtrack is almost impossibly good, it's like Soken's made a deal with the Devil or something .

Yeah, I love 14, but it would not be nearly as good without Soken's absolute fuckin' bangers. The music is absolutely it's own character in the game.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Ended up getting 9th on the TT tourney in the end! Didn't get a single 5* out of the packs but oh well. I guess gunning for 1800 points is enough for top 10 and 4 Platinum packs which should help. I just need to git gud at TT or pray RNG rules bless me.

I've said it before itt, your best bet is to queue in with as many friends as you can round up who are willing to feed you a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Tekopo posted:

Someone makes one mistake on normal content: “He must be struggling and I have to tell him EXACTLY what to do”

Things get aggressively exaggerated here.