Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Kevin Bacon posted:

Thinking about upgrading from 16gb ram to 32gb. Running a system with the amd 5800x3d cpu. I guess I'd want to overclock it to coax out a little extra performance? But nothing crazy. Anything in particular I should be looking at with that in mind, and with a decent price-performace ratio?

OCing RAM beyond just buying a decent kit to begin with and setting XMP is purely for the realm of masochists.

Just get a CL16 or 18 3600 kit and be done with it IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I dunno. I'm in the final stages of the job hunt and while I dont think I need fancy (home use) molecular modeling stuff atm, it could always change in the future

I've never been a big frames at all cost guy, I think competent 1440p performance should be good enough for me

what actual software packages would you use, and do you have a way of figuring out whether they would run better on Intel or AMD?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

OCing RAM beyond just buying a decent kit to begin with and setting XMP is purely for the realm of masochists.

Just get a CL16 or 18 3600 kit and be done with it IMO.
:agreed: Since DDR4 is "done" it's also kind of annoying to specifically get the good memory chips that make OCing it easier. And for workloads that mostly fit into the CPU's 3D cache you don't even get much performance out of RAM OC.

I know people in PC enthusiast circles act like everyone should OC their memory for a free x% performance but in reality you're looking at hours and days of messing with timings and repeatedly stress-testing them, only for a BIOS update to mess with your settings, or you will forget about it and after a few months you get random crashes or corrupted data which is clearly the fault of ["garbage" software/game or new hardware].

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Ok thanks, that makes sense. I saw someone discussing sick fps gainz by just using a list of someone else's timings, but I think that was with DDR5 so I suppose that is something different altogether then. That makes things a lot easier for me then.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
e: nvm, pointless

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kevin Bacon posted:

Ok thanks, that makes sense. I saw someone discussing sick fps gainz by just using a list of someone else's timings, but I think that was with DDR5 so I suppose that is something different altogether then. That makes things a lot easier for me then.
It's not entirely different, I think you can find similar timing guides for DDR4, but you still need to do your own stability testing and it might be harder finding the correct memory chips/sticks now because DDR4 is not a priority of memory manufacturers, and some product lines previously popular for OCing don't exist anymore.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin Bacon posted:

There's a more reliable set of "just use these" DDR5 tuned timings mostly just because SK Hynix massively overshot on the capabilities of their DDR5 dies. The amount they can run every single timing tighter than JEDEC is so insane that you can back off the numbers to the point where it's "every kit can run this regardless of silicon lottery" level and the performance benefit is still very large.

This was possible in the past with Samsung B-Die, the DDR4 generations equivalent ridiculously capable RAM, but B-Die was much less common and came much later in the DDR4 lifecycle. Hynix DDR5 on the other hand is actually what the majority of people have because no other manufacturer can make a kit that can come close to 6000C30 while the Hynix stuff can do way better than that again.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did they actually shut down the B-die production lines as reported at some point? I guess even if they still existed the chips live mostly in the few DDR4-4000+ kits that still exist?

Micron E-die would probably count (on a slightly lower level), but it showed up even later and for an even shorter time before the Crucial Ballistix DDR4 line was abandoned in favour of DDR5 memory production.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

orcane posted:

Did they actually shut down the B-die production lines as reported at some point? I guess even if they still existed the chips live mostly in the few DDR4-4000+ kits that still exist?

Micron E-die would probably count (on a slightly lower level), but it showed up even later and for an even shorter time before the Crucial Ballistix DDR4 line was abandoned in favour of DDR5 memory production.

I believe production has ended, B-Die is now very pricey and not really worth considering unless you're a serious enthusiast.

It's silly how cheap Hynix DDR5 is by comparison. You don't even need to buy the binned stuff, I bought 32GB green PCB Hynix DDR5 sticks from a server surplus company for 90AUD a pop and they overclock to beyond the limits of my 7950X3D's memory controller.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BurritoJustice posted:

There's a more reliable set of "just use these" DDR5 tuned timings mostly just because SK Hynix massively overshot on the capabilities of their DDR5 dies. The amount they can run every single timing tighter than JEDEC is so insane that you can back off the numbers to the point where it's "every kit can run this regardless of silicon lottery" level and the performance benefit is still very large.

BurritoJustice posted:

It's silly how cheap Hynix DDR5 is by comparison. You don't even need to buy the binned stuff, I bought 32GB green PCB Hynix DDR5 sticks from a server surplus company for 90AUD a pop and they overclock to beyond the limits of my 7950X3D's memory controller.

See also: part of the reason folks have gone a little ga-ga for the G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo kits is that they're all built on Hynix chips. You can pop those in, set up EXPO with a couple clicks, and they're solid as rocks. I absolutely feel like I could take it a lot faster, even as a relative memory OC novice, if my 7800X3D would actually see significant benefit from it. And I managed to get that kit for US$80 thanks to a Christmas deal!

I really wish chip manufacturer was included as part of the specs on something like PCPP, because once you're in ~the know~ and once there's plenty of testing data :v: it's an important bit of information to include, depending on peoples' needs.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

See also: part of the reason folks have gone a little ga-ga for the G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo kits

It's funny to me that those are some of the kits with the apparently uv-emitting LEDs that are bleaching GPU backplates

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

It's funny to me that those are some of the kits with the apparently uv-emitting LEDs that are bleaching GPU backplates

One more reason to hate RGB.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Branch Nvidian posted:

I will wear my bleach stripes with pride. :colbert:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there a source that compares benchmarks for all the different partner brands of a single GPU model, A 4070 v B 4070. Most of what I can find is different GPU models entirely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what actual software packages would you use, and do you have a way of figuring out whether they would run better on Intel or AMD?

Hard to say. For example, I used a program called Gaussian the most. But given it was usually through a HPC server, I have no idea how performance translates to home use. Then again, its very likely I'm transitioning back to the experimental side of things and won't need the advanced stuff I've used previously.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is there a source that compares benchmarks for all the different partner brands of a single GPU model, A 4070 v B 4070. Most of what I can find is different GPU models entirely.

TechPowerUp often reviews several partner cards for each model, but the results are always within a percent or so of each other. You shouldn't be concerned with performance differences at all, they all perform the same. The biggest differences will be size, shape, and fan noise.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah, the days of there being substantial differences in performance between various board partners' models of a given GPU are, for better and worse, more than a decade in the past. The actual cards will all perform within a percentage point of each other, assuming no heating problems; what you're looking for these days is a thermal solution that makes sense for your budget, your operating conditions, your desired PC form factor, and your tolerance for noise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hard to say. For example, I used a program called Gaussian the most. But given it was usually through a HPC server, I have no idea how performance translates to home use. Then again, its very likely I'm transitioning back to the experimental side of things and won't need the advanced stuff I've used previously.

It's pretty hard to build for unknowns. Your options are either hold off building until you better define that need, or just build something for the use cases you know about and hope that your future software runs well on your new hardware. If you think you'll figure out your software needs in the near term, I'd probably hold off on buying.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

As mentioned, there's so little difference in performance that there's little for them to say, however there are some differences in thermals/noise and of course aesthetics. This youtube channel does a few group overviews of cards
https://www.youtube.com/@TechTesters
Even then, it's pretty light.

Also as mentioned TPU do it too
https://www.youtube.com/@TechPowerUp

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 11, 2024

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I finished my build and my previous windows install works fine, but I want a clean install on a new M.2 drive. But when I choose this drive, it gives the following error in the image below. People have various theories, my question is, can this be caused by having windows on a separate M.2 drive? I don't really want to blow my windows install away until I know it's going to work. Also taking it out right now isn't really an option as it is under the video card and the heat sinks are installed as well.

edit: I pulled the other M.2 and that seems to be the issue. Dumb.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 11, 2024

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Finally deciding to build another PC to replace the PC I built 8 years ago that had a 6600k. Haven't really paid any attention to what's going on in the PC world in the time in between, but does something like this look reasonable? My neighbor gave me a Titan V for free (found it in a junk pile at work), which is the only reason it's on the list, and I'm planning on reusing that. I only really play iRacing in VR and I think the beefy GPU is definitely hamstrug by my super old CPU. Does something like this look reasonable for something I can just build and forget about for the next 7 years or at least until the Titan dies? Wasn't sure if 12th gen was the sweet spot or if it's worth stepping up to something more recent.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($221.44 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 ZERO DARK 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M DS3H AX Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($166.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA 900-1G500-2500-000 Titan V 12 GB Video Card ($1499.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x SHIFT 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular Side Interface ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $2395.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-11 12:23 EDT-0400

King of all Machines Operate fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 11, 2024

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

King of all Machines Operate posted:

My neighbor gave me a Titan V for free (found it in a junk pile at work),

OK wow. Free Titan V. Crazy to have one in a junk pile...

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

OK wow. Free Titan V. Crazy to have one in a junk pile...

Oh, *chuckles* this old thing? Sure, you can have it; it’s just gathering dust anyway.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I mean it's seven years old and basically a Pascal card, and gets outperformed by a standard 4070, so I can see someone giving it away if they don't want to keep it as a trophy.

Anyway, the proposed build looks Fine, though if this will primarily game it's always worth considering the X3D chips from AMD in the current day. They're a bit more expensive (especially now in the period between major sales, while the Core 12000 series is now basically on permanent price reduction status until production and supply ends entirely) but they'll be more performant overall in games compared to a similar-tier Intel chip. That said, Alder Lake is really priced to move these days.

Note that you can save a cool $30 if you pick up a "KF" variant of the same processor, which is the same actual processor but lacks an integrated GPU on the CPU die. You won't be using that in the main, of course, but it can come in handy for debugging and emergencies, but it's also a place to save and if you aren't going to use the silicon...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm looking for some 120mm fans that move a lot of air and have ball bearings. It looks like the Arctic P12 Max, which used to use ball bearings, has changed to fluid bearings: https://www.arctic.de/us/P12-Max/ACFAN00280A

Can someone point me towards a replacement?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm looking for some 120mm fans that move a lot of air and have ball bearings. It looks like the Arctic P12 Max, which used to use ball bearings, has changed to fluid bearings: https://www.arctic.de/us/P12-Max/ACFAN00280A

Can someone point me towards a replacement?

Acrtic P12 CO still dual ball bearing.
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00121A-P12-PWM-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07GSRRHZT/

I usually buy a box so I have some on hand:
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00137A-Value-Pack-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07HC782D5/

edited to correct that the CO variant is dual ball bearing, the regular one is fluid dynamic.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 11, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Rexxed got the correct link but the wrong product name - the Artic P12 CO uses ball bearings. The standard P12 uses fluid bearings.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

grack posted:

Rexxed got the correct link but the wrong product name - the Artic P12 CO uses ball bearings. The standard P12 uses fluid bearings.

Ah yeah, my bad. The first link is correct but the second one to the multipack is not.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm seeing nonstop hype about AI, and Microsoft seems to have drawn the minimum requirement for an "AI PC" to have an NPU capable of 40 trillion operations per second.

What applications are using the NPU? How are these huge increases in NPU power going to benefit common workflows, like gaming, development, video editing, etc? It looks like there's a ton of effort going into huge NPU improvements: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...next-gen-ai-pcs

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

How are these huge increases in NPU power going to benefit common workflows, like gaming, development, video editing, etc?

Short terms profits will increase. Some other stuff will happen but who cares?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trying to support 5 x 4K (3840 x 2160) monitors with a business laptop (Lenovo X1) and need an external GPU that will work through the Thunderbolt docking station. It's for business apps (no gaming) but obviously pushing a ton of pixels.

It looks like there's not a lot of GPU enclosures for sale, for example things like the Razor Core X Chroma seem to be discontinued or not available.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there just not a lot of interest for an eGPU any more?
If anyone can recommend an enclosure that looks sleek I'd appreciate it.

ISawAPuddyTat
Jan 17, 2024
PC newbie here. I was recommended this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tqfk89 list of parts to get a few months back but by the time I had gathered enough money to work with some parts had gone out of stock. What are some parts I could replace them with? I'm looking to get into games such as Helldivers 2 and Darktide and value performance over visuals.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Performance and visual both come from the same type of hardware power. It's up to you to adjust the sliders to your preferences.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ISawAPuddyTat posted:

PC newbie here. I was recommended this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tqfk89 list of parts to get a few months back but by the time I had gathered enough money to work with some parts had gone out of stock. What are some parts I could replace them with? I'm looking to get into games such as Helldivers 2 and Darktide and value performance over visuals.

General advice/questions -
I'd advise against buying into the AM4 platform at this point in time unless you have a very specific reason. Was the CPU/Motherboard/RAM part of a package deal at the time or something?
Are you sure you'd be fine with a 21.5" monitor? You can get 24" ones for the same sort of price and it makes a big difference imho. In fact, just having a glance at the Part Picker site there are even 27" ones around the same price.
What is your budget? It's hard to tell from the list due to shortages and whatnot

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

YerDa Zabam posted:

General advice/questions -
I'd advise against buying into the AM4 platform at this point in time unless you have a very specific reason. Was the CPU/Motherboard/RAM part of a package deal at the time or something?
Are you sure you'd be fine with a 21.5" monitor? You can get 24" ones for the same sort of price and it makes a big difference imho. In fact, just having a glance at the Part Picker site there are even 27" ones around the same price.
What is your budget? It's hard to tell from the list due to shortages and whatnot

I agree with all of this. No reason not to go with an AM5/DDR5 system at this point; it's not much more expensive, and the price gap will shrink as the last-gen parts become less available. Get a 24" monitor; the quality of life difference over a 20" is immeasurable.

The PC Part Picker "Great AMD Gaming Build" is better in every way at ~$1000 not including monitor. I'd personally choose a different case (NZXT is gross) and a better power supply, but overall that setup should run modern games for several years to come.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ISawAPuddyTat posted:

To more directly address the question: what budget are you looking at? Given the 6700XT, I'm guessing you're angling for a sub-$1000 system?

YerDa Zabam posted:

I'd advise against buying into the AM4 platform at this point in time unless you have a very specific reason.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Yes, AM4 doesn't offer an "upgrade path" anymore, but AM4 was a bit of an anomaly in that regard anyway. And while prices for AM4 stuff may go up as production ceases and stock dries up, AM4 stuff remains cheap right now. If you're trying to keep a system under $1k, AM4 stuff is absolutely a go-to option.

Still, the budget PuddyTat is working with will determine a lot of the advice.

Hed posted:

Trying to support 5 x 4K (3840 x 2160) monitors with a business laptop (Lenovo X1) and need an external GPU that will work through the Thunderbolt docking station. It's for business apps (no gaming) but obviously pushing a ton of pixels.

It looks like there's not a lot of GPU enclosures for sale, for example things like the Razor Core X Chroma seem to be discontinued or not available.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there just not a lot of interest for an eGPU any more?

External GPUs are... definitely not common anymore. I can't answer this question personally (at least not without trying to do a lot of the same research you're attempting) but I definitely don't know of any enclosures that will assist with five simultaneous monitors. Hell, I don't know of many, or any, cards that support 5x monitors natively; things usually cap out around four.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Hed posted:

The thing that really springs to mind is the GPD G1, which is basically a monitor / USB hub with a built-in RX 7600M

The sticking points I can see with this are 1) it's very new so availability is low and reviews are few, 2) $700 MSRP

edit: also, as SpaceDrake notes, five screens might be a bit of an ask

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks you all.
I like those enclosures but ended up buying a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box. Really $$$ but this is for a business so I need it to work and have a warranty and don't want a tweak project. We'll plug 4 of the displays into this thing and his laptop can take the other two through the existing Lenovo TB4 dock. That GPD looks awesome and will consider it for future setups as it gets more availability. Appreciate you helping me work through it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ISawAPuddyTat posted:

SpaceDrake posted:

To more directly address the question: what budget are you looking at? Given the 6700XT, I'm guessing you're angling for a sub-$1000 system?

Also, while the PowerColor you were looking at is no longer available (which... shocks me, I guess Black Friday and the aftermath really cleaned out a lot of the stock), XFX's model is functionally the exact same card at the same price point. So if you just want to build the PC in the list as-is, swap the XFX in and you'll be good to go.

It would be good to know your budget (and whether the budget includes a monitor) to potentially tweak the build a bit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The 6750 XT is $330 if you want marginally more card for the same money, and there's a 6800 non-XT for $380 right now too

It's a shame the 7700 XT isn't down to $350ish yet, the cheap last-gen AMD cards are really starting to dry up and there's very little to fill the gap