Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

His Divine Shadow posted:

My kids are only 10 but one got a laptop and the other wanted a desktop PC, so I am thinking that puts them ahead of the curve.

The Kids Are Alright.

Time_pants posted:

I mean, the approach to this stuff is basically like saying, "There's words written everywhere! Kids will just naturally learn to read! What's the point in teaching them?"

My kids have "technology" class in primary school where they play on iPads and get "taught" trivia like the parts of a PC (tower, modem, monitor) by doing worksheets.
At the end of the class they have to force-close every app on the iPad like it's an android device from 2010.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

wash bucket posted:

When did YouTube start doing this??? Popped up after like 10 minutes of viewing. I barely had time to finish my meal. :mad:

Don't use the app, the answer to any thing that wants you to use an app for one site. Apps are an admission of "we know the site is hosed and we won't fix it because it's funny".

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also you can pretty much bet 100% that any given app = spyware at this point

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've gotten that message from time to time just in the web browser, but usually only after having a 10 hour mix of something on in the background on another tab.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I tutor kids in IT (programming through game design), and the caps-lock typing thing really threw me. Given how consistent it was, I wondered if it was something they were being taught in schools

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

Don't use the app, the answer to any thing that wants you to use an app for one site. Apps are an admission of "we know the site is hosed and we won't fix it because it's funny".

That wasn't an app. That was the website in FireFox with uBlock Origin after watching a single 10 minute video. First time I'd even looked at YouTube that day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Houle posted:

Back in the day you used to be able to preload all the tabs in advance and watch at your heart's content. Back when my Internet was slow id basically load up my days viewing for later and play at night.

I miss when it did this. SmartTube has an option where it lets you preload a hefty chunk (I can't recall exactly how much) and it ignores youtube ads too so that's kinda sick tbh. Android only: https://smarttube.app

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I miss when it did this. SmartTube has an option where it lets you preload a hefty chunk (I can't recall exactly how much) and it ignores youtube ads too so that's kinda sick tbh. Android only: https://smarttube.app

lmao at using an android

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pencilhands posted:

lmao at using an android

Yeah it owns, I don't see any ads on my phone

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I tend to use revanced. I still haven't gotten a hang of it yet since vanced had spoofed premium features but that's more my own ignorance than anything.

I just need to figure out a way to stream to my TV because it uses the YouTube app for that.

I might just say gently caress it and get a new laptop. My newest one is 20 years old but never felt the need to get a new one. Clean install of windows 10, 2.4Ghz, 8gb ram, i7.

So things that gotten shittier, my media set up and pirate pipeline.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Technocrat posted:

I tutor kids in IT (programming through game design), and the caps-lock typing thing really threw me. Given how consistent it was, I wondered if it was something they were being taught in schools
When I learned to type as a little kid I did the caps lock thing because it was easier to hit from the home-row with my then Trump-sized hands. I didn't get out of the habit until like 16 or so.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah when I started on the computer I started with caps-lock, shift doesn't really work well until you have the hang of where most letters are instinctively

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Technocrat posted:

Am I missing something here? That's just how capitalization on touchscreen works. You hit the shift key to get into single letter capitalization mode and then the letter. You don't have to hold the shift key like on a keyboard. That's where they learn it.

I guess it takes some coordination to hit two keys at the same time with one hand so without putting some effort into developing the muscle memory you just keep doing the caps lock thing forever and ever, like hunt and peck.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it basically doesnt matter unless you do a lot of high volume typing professionally that requires a certain WPM. most boomers and gen x's suck at typing also, and hell, many millenials

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Instead of typing perhaps spitting some sick bars??

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
mavis beacon learned me right

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

mavis beacon typing of the dead learned me right

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it basically doesnt matter unless you do a lot of high volume typing professionally that requires a certain WPM. most boomers and gen x's suck at typing also, and hell, many millenials

My workday is 20% typing and 80% Googling errors.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

No point in getting good at something when a machine does it for you and you can focus on other more interesting stuff.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

everyone on teh forums knows my typing is impeccable, and thusly, i am not t obe questioned on this matter,.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Outrail posted:

No point in getting good at something when a machine does it for you and you can focus on other more interesting stuff.

This is a worrying attitude personally.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Outrail posted:

It reminds me of a short story I read in high school or college: "They gave up understanding for power..."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

machines do a lot of things for us that enable us to focus on more interesting stuff

that's been kind of the deal with machines the whole time

becoming wholly dependent babies is a problem but i'm not going to stop using the dishwasher and instead hone my natural skills at dishwashing

that said i generally delete and retype things that are typos rather than using autocorrect so i guess the truth is somewhere in the middle

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Using a spell check isn't giving up to the machines anymore than letting auto pilot drive a plane. You let the machine do the tedious repetitive poo poo while I focus on higher level decision making.

When I lose my grammarly subscription at the end of the month I'm not going to be incapable of doing my job, it's just going to be slower while I readjust for a few weeks.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm calling my shot here: within the next 10 years, Windows is going to become a subscription service.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time_pants posted:

I'm calling my shot here: within the next 10 years, Windows is going to become a subscription service.

Finally, the year of linux on the desktop will come.

It definitely looks like Microsoft wants to do that, but I'm dubious they can effectively pull it off.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Time_pants posted:

Halfway there with office 365 and their insistent w11 begging.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Outrail posted:

Using a spell check isn't giving up to the machines anymore than letting auto pilot drive a plane.

Funny you mentioned autopilot.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Houle posted:

I tend to use revanced. I still haven't gotten a hang of it yet since vanced had spoofed premium features but that's more my own ignorance than anything.

I just need to figure out a way to stream to my TV because it uses the YouTube app for that.

I might just say gently caress it and get a new laptop. My newest one is 20 years old but never felt the need to get a new one. Clean install of windows 10, 2.4Ghz, 8gb ram, i7.

So things that gotten shittier, my media set up and pirate pipeline.

Newpipe on Android, or Tubular if you want a mildly buggy implementation of several of the most popular browser plug-ins. Keeping vanced method alive is very vulnerable to YouTube API fuckery.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Outrail posted:

insistent w11 begging.

They aren't begging me to upgrade because my computer doesn't have a TPM IC on the mainboard.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

TotalLossBrain posted:

They aren't begging me to upgrade because my computer doesn't have a TPM IC on the mainboard.

It probably does, it's just usually off by default because it's only really a good idea in a corporate PC environment where you can set up the backup and recovery system. Otherwise fixable hardware problems brick your PC.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nah, this mb is 2014 vintage. TPM 2.0 became standard in 2016

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
There are two simple reasons most members of the younger generation never learned to type, keyboard sizes and touch screens.

Keyboard sizes are now fully nonstandard. Getting a "standard" (bear in mind this is the size of the Model M) keyboard from an online retailer requires specifically seeking it out, and no computer manufacturer provides them, so you'll literally never have one at work unless you provide it. Laptops with Standard keyboards are all but extinct. This makes learning to type without looking at the keyboard much, much harder unless you use the same exact keyboard until you're fully learned, but is generally fine if you already know how to type and can determine the size somewhat intuitively based on the home row size.

None of this is possible on a touchscreen, of course, and keyboard sizes on touchscreens are entirely arbitrary and even scalable. It's not unusual for two identical devices to have completely different configurations, and only rare, borderline-novelty devices have the ability for a user to successfully find and re-find the home row without looking. That makes touch typing not just a useless skill, but an active impediment to the most common interfaces kids encounter.

This isn't even to touch on the suitability of the 150 year old QWERTY layout to a modern world. That would be its own entirely separate derail, but suffice to say we standardized on a layout that would be extremely generous to call suboptimal for most people, and we expect children to learn it based off nonsensical cultural inertia.

In short, I'm more surprised that any member of Gen Z has learned touch typing than I am that most have not.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Look if you haven't developed you're own unoptimal but effective enough way to type you have failed as a person. I use mainly 4 fingers for the bulk, pinky for shift, thumbs for space. What the gently caress is a home row?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

GABA ghoul posted:

I guess it takes some coordination to hit two keys at the same time with one hand so without putting some effort into developing the muscle memory you just keep doing the caps lock thing forever and ever, like hunt and peck.

For me, the Caps Lock is just part of the muscle memory.

It's just what I do and don't think about it, and it causes no actual problems. After 30+ years, I imagine trying to change it would be like me learning how to write with my right hand as a left hander.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Why do we even have upper and lower case? THEY MEAN THE SAME THING

IN FACT I THINK EVERYTHING WOULD BE A LOT EASIER TO READ IF EVERYTHING WAS WRITTEN IN UPPERCASE.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I cant remember the last time I used the capslock key.

I GUESS I HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO WHEN I TURN 65

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
My kid who is 14 taught themselves how to type properly via tutorial websites/games.
I asked about other kids and I was told that most other kids do hunt and peck typing, also there is no typing/keyboarding class they can take.

I took typing as an elective on a electric typewriter around 1994.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I knew how to type, but what truly turned me into a fast typist was multiplayer Act III of Diablo 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

credburn posted:

Why do we even have upper and lower case? THEY MEAN THE SAME THING

IN FACT I THINK EVERYTHING WOULD BE A LOT EASIER TO READ IF EVERYTHING WAS WRITTEN IN UPPERCASE.

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL