Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Koos Group posted:

Whether Netanyahu's statement is to be taken as good faith, however, is debatable.

Whether the statement is truthful or not it can be up for debate... but never take a statement from the Israeli government in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I don't really see a difference between "as a society they absolutely wanted them [the aid workers] dead" and "Israeli society is lusting for aid worker blood". The former is a direct quote from punishedkissinger.

I think you are missing context and addressing the wrong post by joining the conversation midway.

Here you go:

Yeah I was specifically addressing that as a motivation for the attack, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Israeli society probably does want them dead (ever heard of the pancake parties for Rachel Corrie?), but i think that probably does not have as much effect on military decisions as strategic factors (I mean it probably does influence the reasoning somewhat, but I think they are primarily concerned with their war objectives).

My point was that there are more possibilities than "Israel did it because they want aid workers to die" and "the IIDF was just shooting at anything that moves without intent to kill these specific people". It's not as simple as scoffing at the former and concluding the latter must be more plausible by process of elimination

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 9, 2024

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

VitalSigns posted:

But yeah, also humans are not necessarily rational especially in wartime. It wasn't logical to build pyramids of naked Iraqis at Abu-Ghraib, but well...

I think it’s hard for people to picture all the nasty comments and hooting and hollering that can go on behind the scenes in a rotten unit, and then connect the dots to see that all the clinical language and passive voice allows people who really really suck to maintain a facade of professionalism that they don’t deserve. It’s just providing cover for a person that needs to be punished and fired.

Maybe a more relatable analogy would be the guy who cheers when protestors get run over by a truck on the news. Then you check his social media and he’s got posts about god’s wrath and pancake protestors all over his feed. I wouldn’t believe anything along the lines of oh my foot slipped if there’s some incident with someone like that, who also happens to have a history of running over people himself. It’s just very credulous.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

not a value-add posted:

I think it’s hard for people to picture all the nasty comments and hooting and hollering that can go on behind the scenes in a rotten unit, and then connect the dots to see that all the clinical language and passive voice allows people who really really suck to maintain a facade of professionalism that they don’t deserve. It’s just providing cover for a person that needs to be punished and fired.

Maybe a more relatable analogy would be the guy who cheers when protestors get run over by a truck on the news. Then you check his social media and he’s got posts about god’s wrath and pancake protestors all over his feed. I wouldn’t believe anything along the lines of oh my foot slipped if there’s some incident with someone like that, who also happens to have a history of running over people himself. It’s just very credulous.

Yeah I agree. The IDF very much gets the American cop treatment by western media. No matter how much brutality they commit, and how many cops turn out to be members of white supremacist groups, and how many times cops literally say that the public are their enemy, they are always assumed to have pure motivations when they shoot someone and their statements always taken at face value, unless there's video of them shooting a guy in the back and planting a gun.

But my point is more like, this isn't like the typical killer cop where there's no real motive for the murder beyond cops being generally violent, so an assumption that cops have pure intentions is enough to conclude it must have been an accident. This is more like the cop shooting an activist who is making trouble for them, pretty obvious motive. Oh and the PD holds a party every year to celebrate their favorite memory of killing an activist.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 9, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If in their hearts of hearts cops see all black people as violent criminals, it doesn't really 'purify their motivations'. The same goes for the IDF soldiers. The fact that they (and a considerable part of the Israeli society and establishment) see all Palestinians and everyone who helps them as terrorists is the problem here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Has anything been able to be verified about exactly what happened at Al-Shifa? Many different accounts describing mass summary executions were reported by Palestinians who escaped/fled the area but I've seen almost nothing beyond that mentioned about it and little followup in "mainstream" western media sources, and it doesn't seem like there has been much investigation of the grounds even though Israel left a week ago, other than a couple people from WHO. It seems like at best the IDF was allowing troops to kill as they pleased, but based on some descriptions of survivors it sounds like the IDF may have had some sort of organized process of summary executions.

The New Arab's English site has one of the most complete reports I've seen, including eyewitness interviews and on-the-scene journalist reports. It's incredibly grim.

quote:

On Monday, the Israeli army withdrew from the Shifa Medical Complex, west of Gaza City, leaving behind enormous destruction and hundreds of bodies scattered inside the hospital and around it.

Avichai Adraee, a spokesperson for the Israeli army, declared that the Israeli forces had "completed the operation" in the Al-Shifa complex and left the hospital area after a siege that lasted about two weeks.

The health ministry in Gaza said that "the occupation forces withdrew from the Al-Shifa Medical Complex after burning its buildings," noting that "dozens of martyrs' bodies, some of them decomposed, were recovered from inside and around the complex."

"Some of the bodies were crushed as a result of being run over by tanks and military bulldozers," Palestinian medical sources told The New Arab.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

There is functionally no difference between "we have no policy punishing this behavior" and "we have a policy encouraging this behavior." If no penalty is specified or applied, then the behavior is de facto permitted and encouraged, just with plausible deniability. If soldiers are doing it, and being recorded doing it, and not being punished or prevented from doing it again, and are in fact given more bombs and bullets, then does a lack of explicitly admitted intent really give you doubt as to the military's intentions?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'd upload the cartoons but the Awful app imgur upload doesn't work anymore

Yeah, you can use postimages 'temporarily',
until something better comes along.
Someone wrote an ios shortcut for it:
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/05a19d6803b444a98e1f5577e693d9d1

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CNN has a new expose in the Flour Massacre. Seems pretty clearcut that the IDF opened fire with a 600rpm MG on a breadline of unarmed civilians.

https://twitter.com/katie_polglase/status/1777668775761834164

https://twitter.com/katie_polglase/status/1777668782426578993

really underscores that the goal of the IDF is genocide

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

punishedkissinger posted:

CNN has a new expose in the Flour Massacre. Seems pretty clearcut that the IDF opened fire with a 600rpm MG on a breadline of unarmed civilians.

https://twitter.com/katie_polglase/status/1777668775761834164

https://twitter.com/katie_polglase/status/1777668782426578993

really underscores that the goal of the IDF is genocide

Matthew Miller: *smirks* uh, well, as we've made it clear, Hamas is hiding behind women and children. It's our stance that Israel is acting in full accordance with international law. *chuckles* We're continuing to express concern that we want them to take more care to limit civilian casualties. But we want to stress that Israel has a right to defend itself

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mrfart posted:

Yeah, you can use postimages 'temporarily',
until something better comes along.
Someone wrote an ios shortcut for it:
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/05a19d6803b444a98e1f5577e693d9d1

Just FYI, there is a privacy risk using this shortcut -- it does not strip metadata from the image you upload, and neither does postimages. If you upload a picture that you took on your own phone, you may be giving away your location as well as other information.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nail Rat posted:

Matthew Miller: *smirks* uh, well, as we've made it clear, Hamas is hiding behind women and children. It's our stance that Israel is acting in full accordance with international law. *chuckles* We're continuing to express concern that we want them to take more care to limit civilian casualties. But we want to stress that Israel has a right to defend itself

Has anyone who's emphasised that Israel has a right to defend itself also emphasised to the same degree that Palestinian has a right to defend itself?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Outrail posted:

Has anyone who's emphasised that Israel has a right to defend itself also emphasised to the same degree that Palestinian has a right to defend itself?

This has been asked a few times, and the State Department spokesfolks always dance around it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Neurolimal posted:

This has been asked a few times, and the State Department spokesfolks always dance around it.

Yeah, this is why Israel goes to great lengths to hide what they've been doing in the west bank forever, and get western journalists to downplay kneecapping hundreds of unarmed Gazan protesters, etc.

If everyone is ignorant about that, every time Palestinians strike back, it's not "defending themselves," it's just "terrorism."

Also, the IDF having their HQ between a hospital and a community center is not using human shields, it's different

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 9, 2024

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean after the 2000s I'm surprised anyone thinks America or any of its vassal/associated states genuinely care about things like the right to defend itself.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

It's also absurd that they talk about Hamas using civilians as 'human shields' when Israel has made it clear for decades that they will slaughter infinite Palestinian civilians without one second's hesitation.

You can only use civilians as human shields if your enemy has a conscience - for example the way IDF members do things like chain Palestinians to their vehicles or force Palestinian children to stand in front of them, knowing that their enemies actually will refrain from attacking them through civilians.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Nail Rat posted:

Also, the IDF having their HQ between a hospital and a community center is not using human shields, it's different
Netenyahu just had surgery to repair a hernia, even though it is apparently illegal for military commanders to go to the hospital.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

HazCat posted:

It's also absurd that they talk about Hamas using civilians as 'human shields' when Israel has made it clear for decades that they will slaughter infinite Palestinian civilians without one second's hesitation.

You can only use civilians as human shields if your enemy has a conscience - for example the way IDF members do things like chain Palestinians to their vehicles or force Palestinian children to stand in front of them, knowing that their enemies actually will refrain from attacking them through civilians.

Thanks to that 972 article we have confirmation that they are intentionally targeting people identified by their lavender system at home with their families using another system they named "where's daddy." Every time you saw a report of an entire family killed to the last member, that was why. They don't even know why they were targets, just that 1. The computer gave them a score above a cut-off and 2. The target was confirmed to be male (the only human involved step).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adenoid Dan posted:

Thanks to that 972 article we have confirmation that they are intentionally targeting people identified by their lavender system at home with their families using another system they named "where's daddy." Every time you saw a report of an entire family killed to the last member, that was why. They don't even know why they were targets, just that 1. The computer gave them a score above a cut-off and 2. The target was confirmed to be male (the only human involved step).

Also, ten civilian casualties are acceptable for killing a suspected militia member, and 250 casualties are acceptable for killing a suspected officer. So yeah, good luck living in the same neighbourhood as someone who the AI says is a Hamas colonel.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Nah, that can't be right. I have it on good authority that Israel's civilian to evil terrorist kill ratio is between 4 and 2 to 1, so there's no way they could be killing a whole family of people to kill just one guy, let alone a block.

Also please do not compare and contrast that number that Israel says is fine to the ratio on October 7th.

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

Adenoid Dan posted:

The Where’s Daddy system also seems almost tailor made to kill every single hostage on purpose, and I don’t know how you wouldn’t have a hey wait a minute moment as an intel analyst or commander. It really seems like they just don’t care.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It is pretty blatant that they don't actually see these as "acceptable costs," they just don't see it as a cost at all.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

not a value-add posted:

The Where’s Daddy system also seems almost tailor made to kill every single hostage on purpose, and I don’t know how you wouldn’t have a hey wait a minute moment as an intel analyst or commander. It really seems like they just don’t care.

I suspect the Israeli leadership mostly wants dead hostages to retroactively justify their actions. They'll ignore the fact their own side killed (some of) the hostages and instead focus on Hamas letting their captives die, to give themselves sound reasons for the brutal attacks on everything in Gaza.

If they really wanted them back they'd not have soldiers shoot first, maybe ask questions (but we don't really care) later.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Israel's (and I mean that both in the sense of their political leadership and the prevailing sentiment among Israelis) first priority is not and never has been to rescue the hostages. They want to obliterate Hamas and brutalize Gaza as revenge and to make an example. Killing hostages is if anything a bonus for them since it reduces Hamas' leverage in ceasefire negotiations. Concern for their countrymen is a far, far weaker motivation

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I was specifically addressing that as a motivation for the attack, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Israeli society probably does want them dead (ever heard of the pancake parties for Rachel Corrie?), but i think that probably does not have as much effect on military decisions as strategic factors (I mean it probably does influence the reasoning somewhat, but I think they are primarily concerned with their war objectives).

My point was that there are more possibilities than "Israel did it because they want aid workers to die" and "the IIDF was just shooting at anything that moves without intent to kill these specific people". It's not as simple as scoffing at the former and concluding the latter must be more plausible by process of elimination
That's fair - there is some more nuance I didn't account for in my assessment.

Yawgmoft posted:

Nah, that can't be right. I have it on good authority that Israel's civilian to evil terrorist kill ratio is between 4 and 2 to 1, so there's no way they could be killing a whole family of people to kill just one guy, let alone a block.

Also please do not compare and contrast that number that Israel says is fine to the ratio on October 7th.
Hamas reported 6000 deaths back in February, which would put the ratio at 4:1 (there were 30,000 total deaths reported by the Health Ministry at that point). That absolutely doesn't exclude Israel engaging in massively indiscriminate bombing as well though - if they successfully hit a Hamas base and kill 20 members that doesn't somehow make it ok for them to go and kill 80 civilians in a tower block (and with almost all of the buildings in the North and Khan Younis destroyed there's little doubt this is happening).

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

I don’t understand how someone could join the armed forces of whatever nation they grew up in and not care about protecting citizens from harm. Imagine your parents getting kidnapped and instead of using intel for a rescue attempt your “defense force” uses the grid to incinerate them, all so they could kill a few extra five year olds sheltering in the basement. The conduct of the IDF is just so far gone from anything I’ve ever seen. America should’ve pulled the plug on this poo poo long ago.

not a value-add fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 10, 2024

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

not a value-add posted:

I don’t understand how someone could join the armed forces of whatever nation they grew up in and not care about protecting citizens from harm. Imagine your parents getting kidnapped and instead of using intel for a rescue attempt your “defense force” uses the grid to incinerate them, all so they could kill a few extra five year olds sheltering in the basement. The conduct of the IDF is just so far gone from anything I’ve ever seen. America should’ve pulled the plug on this poo poo long ago.

it's worth watching interviews from American soldiers in Vietnam. if you can't find "the enemy," you kill the people you can find (five year olds).

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It does come across as frustration of being unable to engage Hamas in open battle. So instead they just kill any Palestinian they can.
Supposedly Hamas was using IDF propensity to attack children by setting up traps and having a device play back the sound of children playing to lure them in.

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

I haven’t seen this posted yet, MSF has a complied a detailed timeline of what went on at Nasser hospital. Besides the general destruction, the IDF sends a Palestinian prisoner dressed in white coveralls inside to deliver a message, and then executes him after they’re done using him.

https://msf.org.uk/article/explained-how-israeli-army-attacked-gazas-nasser-hospital

The videos in the article don’t auto play, but if you watch them all there are some serious injuries and dead bodies as a warning.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

For anyone interested:

Lead Army vessel for the JLOTS Gaza pier is north of Algeria.

Lopez turned off AIS on April 4 (so just after I looked last) they’re probably off North Africa (my estimate). Bobo has completed loading based on AIS and my estimate of an eta for them is 18 to 20 days.

Doesn’t look like anything has turned around.

Any one that wants to follow it themselves just search the vessels on marine traffic. I’m thinking the Lopez will switch AIS back on one it’s in the Med.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Marenghi posted:

It does come across as frustration of being unable to engage Hamas in open battle. So instead they just kill any Palestinian they can.
Supposedly Hamas was using IDF propensity to attack children by setting up traps and having a device play back the sound of children playing to lure them in.

lol where did you hear this?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol where did you hear this?

https://www.ynet.co.il/news/article/hk99jusva

quote:

Added to this last week was a more sophisticated method by the terrorists: they place loudspeakers in alleys that have already been attacked by air force or artillery fire, which play conversations between children or boys, in Arabic, in order to confuse the forces approaching them.

When the terrorists hear the growls of the tanks or the armored personnel carriers next to which the infantry fighters are moving on the ground, they turn on the loudspeakers that play these conversations to confuse the soldiers. In one case, an infantry force followed by tanks, examined noise and sounds like these At the end of an alley that ends in a street that has already been attacked.

The force advanced towards him, and then a squad of terrorists who were lurking on a high floor in the building opposite - opened fire with machine guns and anti-tank missiles at the soldiers. The force conducted an exchange of fire in a battle that lasted for many minutes, and with the help of aircraft, all the terrorists were eliminated, including a deserter who tried to escape from the scene. During the battle, the terrorists also threw Explosive charges in front of grenades that were thrown at them by the IDF. Armored vehicles and covering fire were used in the battle.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1778314628432621656

Literally just murdering small children for the sake of it. And knowing your average Zionist, they’ll scream blood libel at anyone who says this to them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2024

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Some missing context here if you're unfamiliar with him is that Ismail Haniyeh is the political head of Hamas, rather than a military leader, and is heavily involved in the ceasefire talks. One might think that assassinating his children and grandchildren on a holiday would indicate that the Israeli government is, perhaps, not fully on board with the prospect of a ceasefire.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Marenghi posted:

As lovely as israel is your take doesn't really seem like an accurate communication of the reporting.

Anyway, a UN + World Bank report on Gazan infrastructure damage dropped last week:

https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2024/04/02/joint-world-bank-un-report-assesses-damage-to-gaza-s-infrastructure

quote:

The cost of damage to critical infrastructure in Gaza is estimated at around $18.5 billion according to a new report released today by the World Bank and the United Nations, with financial support of the European Union. That is equivalent to 97% of the combined GDP of the West Bank and Gaza in 2022.

The water and sanitation system has nearly collapsed, delivering less than 5% of its previous output, with people dependent on limited water rations for survival.

Full report is linked in the article. It's not great. Methodology seems about as solid as it can reasonably be when international observers are worried about getting sword missiled by Israel under the circumstances.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Goatse James Bond posted:

As lovely as israel is your take doesn't really seem like an accurate communication of the reporting.

The source I linked is dogshit, it's just the origin of the loudspeaker story.

The penchant the IDF has for attacking children is more than well documented in text and video from a wide array of sources.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stringent posted:

The source I linked is dogshit, it's just the origin of the loudspeaker story.

The penchant the IDF has for attacking children is more than well documented in text and video from a wide array of sources.

you're right that I flubbed media literacy

tbh I could ramble some about Hamas tactical reasoning assuming the story is accurate but eh, honestly not worth the bother, I'll just take the L and/or assume the tactic is Israeli propaganda in the first place

Seeing if I can find a little more about the water situation but if the 5% output estimate is accurate that's... bad. It was something like 25% end of January iirc, which was also bad but not dehydration bad, "just" waterborne illness and poor hygiene bad.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

shimmy shimmy posted:

Some missing context here if you're unfamiliar with him is that Ismail Haniyeh is the political head of Hamas, rather than a military leader, and is heavily involved in the ceasefire talks. One might think that assassinating his children and grandchildren on a holiday would indicate that the Israeli government is, perhaps, not fully on board with the prospect of a ceasefire.

Even, one might say, actively working against it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The ADL just gave Harvard and several other universities an F on their Anti-semitism policies.

quote:

The Anti-Defamation League has graded 85 American universities for their policies to protect Jewish students from antisemitism on campus. It gave Harvard and 12 other schools an “F.” Just two schools got an “A.”

Reports of antisemitism on college campuses across the United States have surged after Hamas’ October 7, 2023, terror attack on Israel and the country’s devastating response. The ADL said antisemitic incidents on campus have reached historic levels, leaving Jewish students feeling unsafe.

“As I travel the country, I’m constantly hearing from Jewish families agonizing over where they will send their kids to college,” said ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt, in a statement. “School leadership must make serious changes to support Jewish communities on their campus; we expect nothing less.”

The ADL reviewed dozens of America’s top liberal arts colleges and those with the highest proportion of Jewish students. The organization provided each school with a questionnaire, and it received responses from 84% of the campuses it assessed. The ADL also considered other public information, including pending federal investigations related to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, which prevents discrimination based on religion, race and sex.

Since October 7, the Education Department has launched an unprecedented number of Title VI investigations into colleges, including Harvard, the University of Pennsylvania, Cornell University and Stanford, among others.

The dozen schools that received failing grades from the ADL include Harvard, MIT, Stanford, University of Chicago, Princeton, University of Virginia, Tufts, Michigan State University, University of Massachusetts Amherst, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, SUNY Purchase, SUNY Rockland, and Swarthmore.

Harvard gets an ‘F’
Harvard in particular has become the focus of national attention for incidents of antisemitism.

In the days following the Hamas attack, a coalition of Harvard student groups released a joint statement holding Israel responsible for the attack – a statement that some of the groups’ members later disavowed. The statement drew widespread outrage and led a number of prominent donors to pull their funds or lambast the university’s administration.

Since then, a slew of incidents have taken place on campus, including vandalized Israeli hostage posters and an antisemitic cartoon shared on Instagram accounts belonging to the Harvard Faculty & Staff for Justice in Palestine group, the Harvard Undergraduate Palestine Solidarity Committee and the African American Resistance Organization (the groups later apologized).

In December, former President Claudine Gay, along with two other university presidents, testified before the House Education Committee and struggled to say whether calls for Jewish genocide on campus would break the school’s rules. Gay later apologized and clarified that advocating for genocide of Jews would violate Harvard’s rules.

But the fallout was swift and severe, sending Harvard’s administration – and its efforts to combat antisemitism – into turmoil. Rabbi David Wolpe, a visiting scholar at Harvard’s Divinity School, announced his resignation from his role on Harvard’s Antisemitism Advisory Group shortly after her testimony, and Gay resigned in January.

When Interim President Alan Garber announced a presidential task force on antisemitism, he tapped Harvard Business School professor Raffaella Sadun and Harvard professor Derek Penslar to co-chair it. Within days, Penslar’s selection sparked a backlash, with some critics including famed economist and former university president Larry Summers raising concerns about his background and previous positions. Sadun stepped down after a month at the helm.

Harvard remains under federal investigation for potential Title VI violations, and several Jewish students have sued Harvard for failing to protect them from antisemitism. Jews make up 10% of the undergraduate student population and 53% of Harvard’s graduate student body.

In response, Harvard referred CNN to its response to a congressional investigation submitted a month ago. The university said it has taken action to combat antisemitism by supporting students’ safety and promoting civil discourse, updating its policies and reporting procedures and reaching out to the Jewish community.

MIT and Stanford, which also received “F” grades, similarly have been the subject of national scrutiny for repeated incidents of antisemitism and administrators’ lack of ability to control them. Three other schools that have also gained national attention for antisemitic acts on campus – Columbia, Rutgers and the University of Pennsylvania – received “D” grades.

Only two universities received “A” grades: Brandeis and Elon.

The ADL noted that Brandeis was the first private university to revoke its recognition of the Students for Justice in Palestine chapter, and the student union issued a statement condemning Hamas. Brandeis partnered with the Foundation to Combat Antisemitism and classified the phrase “From the river to the sea” as hate speech. Critics of the phrase say the rallying cry advocates for the genocide of Jews.

Jews make up 35% of Brandeis’ student body, one of the nation’s largest Jewish populations on campus. Brandeis was established as a nonsectarian school but it was founded with support from the Jewish community, and it was named after former Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, the highest court’s first Jewish member.

The ADL also praised Elon University for providing opportunities for the student body and faculty to learn about Hamas’ attack and encouraged dialogue.

In addition to the two “A” grades and 13 “F’s,” the ADL said 17 schools got a “B,” 29 received a “C,” and it handed out 24 “D” grades.

“Every campus should get an A – that’s not grade inflation, that’s the minimum that every group on every campus expects,” said Greenblatt in a statement. “Like all students, Jewish students deserve to feel safe and supported on campus.”

Hamas’ October 7, 2023, attack on Israel left 1,200 dead, and hundreds of Israelis were taken hostage. Israel’s devastating response to the attack has left more than 30,000 dead in Gaza.

Going to the ADL website and reviewing the report brings up this:
https://www.adl.org/campus-antisemitism-report-card/harvard-university

Glad we can share the antisemite label for pointing out modern Zionism is a load of BS.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Jewish Currents has several good articles on the ADL, its internal rifts, and its nutjob CEO

https://jewishcurrents.org/top-executive-leaves-adl-over-ceos-praise-of-elon-musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Jewish Currents has several good articles on the ADL, its internal rifts, and its nutjob CEO

https://jewishcurrents.org/top-executive-leaves-adl-over-ceos-praise-of-elon-musk

of course he loves musk lol