Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
e: fb multiple times over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

slave to my cravings posted:

I always thought Shaq and Dwade won more than one title but they didn’t

i always thought you made that one good post too.... funny how memory works

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm assuming no games tonight because it's a flight risk?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

I'm assuming no games tonight because it's a flight risk?

They're playing nice with the NCAA again so night off for the title game.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

predicto posted:

In February the Warriors were foundering. Mired in 10th place in the West. Then they upped their game and won 22 of their next 32, to bring them to …. 10th in the West.

gently caress the West

to be fair the following teams are frauds: all of them except the denver jokics

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

fart simpson posted:

i always thought you made that one good post too.... funny how memory works

lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Milwaukee’s record against the west this season: 15-14
Milwaukee’s record against the East this season: 32-17

If those ratios held but the number of games was reversed, they’d be 44-34, which would put them right between the lakers and warriors fighting for the 8/9 spot

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I guess michael cooper got in the basketball hall of fame which is pretty loving silly.

i swear to Ja all the voters must be 70 year old college coaches

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I guess michael cooper got in the basketball hall of fame which is pretty loving silly.

i swear to Ja all the voters must be 70 year old college coaches

I read the athletic article, the problem is that there is no NBA Hall of Fame. So Cooper has 8x all defense, a DPOY, 5 rings, but then also 2x WNBA coaching titles, WNBA COTY and (for what it's worth) a G league championship all on top of a decent college and overseas career. It's maybe not a slam dunk but the athletic article ignored most of those accomplishments and focused on his NBA stats. That is very incomplete.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

I read the athletic article, the problem is that there is no NBA Hall of Fame. So Cooper has 8x all defense, a DPOY, 5 rings, but then also 2x WNBA coaching titles, WNBA COTY and (for what it's worth) a G league championship all on top of a decent college and overseas career. It's maybe not a slam dunk but the athletic article ignored most of those accomplishments and focused on his NBA stats. That is very incomplete.
They have designations as Player/Coach/Contributor and some other ones but I don't know how closely they stick to them.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

2 wnba coaching rings is not really anything much unless theyre have category bonus multipliers.

we need an NBA hall badly. because this one really does ignore tons of great nba players who didn’t happen to play on the celtics or lakers

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Cooper seems like a fine inductee if you believe that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts. None of his accolades probably 100% secure him a HOF spot, but altogether its a really impressive and long career dedicated to ball

I wouldn't be surprised if he's also in because he was the only dude missing from the core of the 80s Lakers teams, though. That said, the Basketball HOF is by far the most "Hall of FAME" of the sports - and I like that its a big hall because IDK if dudes like Abe Saperstein or Howard Garfinkel would be in other HOFs

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
If you're putting Michael Cooper in you may as well put Robert Horry in too.

The funnier one to me is that Dick Barnett (one all-star appearance) getting in now means that everyone who started on either Knicks championship team is now in the HOF lol.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tangential to the NBA:

Given that he just got done basically averaging a bit better than 30 & 15 over six games in the NCAA Tournament on better than 60% from the floor...as much of a relative dinosaur type of old-fashioned big man that he is, did Zach Edey move the needle much on his NBA prospects with his performance over the past 3-4 weeks?

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 9, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
He shot up Givony's mock and Givony usually bases his info on what people who work with NBA teams in some capacity are telling him.

I dunno, I'm not big on the tournament as an influence to the draft, like it's only even a bullet point if it features a player going against someone with the NBA size they're going to go against if they play their NBA projected position. I think tonight was the first time Edey played someone likely to play center at the next level.

But overall this season has warmed me up on Edey, because the fact that he just gets better every year impresses me. But I say that with the stance that he could not compete at the NBA level right now, and it's difficult to know if he is going to stay on his upward trajectory because of his age. To me that's a risk I maybe take at the end of a normal draft, or post lottery in a draft like this that is a mystery. But some NBA GMs apparently feel higher on him right now. We'll see how that fares in the draft process.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

He shot up Givony's mock and Givony usually bases his info on what people who work with NBA teams in some capacity are telling him.

I dunno, I'm not big on the tournament as an influence to the draft, like it's only even a bullet point if it features a player going against someone with the NBA size they're going to go against if they play their NBA projected position. I think tonight was the first time Edey played someone likely to play center at the next level.

But overall this season has warmed me up on Edey, because the fact that he just gets better every year impresses me. But I say that with the stance that he could not compete at the NBA level right now, and it's difficult to know if he is going to stay on his upward trajectory because of his age. To me that's a risk I maybe take at the end of a normal draft, or post lottery in a draft like this that is a mystery. But some NBA GMs apparently feel higher on him right now. We'll see how that fares in the draft process.
I go back and forth on him a lot just because he's such an old-fashioned player. He's a 2024 player built for 1999.

If a handful of NBA execs are indeed high on him right now than I can only imagine that Edey putting up 37 & 10 tonight against a UConn team with Donovan Clingan at center will make those opinions shoot a fair bit higher.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This is an utter poo poo of a draft, so there is almost no reason not to go ahead and take a chance on Edey. He’s a dinosaur but perhaps he can brute force score on guys like Wemby and Holmgren, and draw fouls. The center position is not completely dead. Embiid is still extremely effective (I’m not saying Edey has Embiid potential but if he can learn how to set screens and hit the occasional outside shot, maybe he could be an effective starter.)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

predicto posted:

This is an utter poo poo of a draft, so there is almost no reason not to go ahead and take a chance on Edey. He’s a dinosaur but perhaps he can brute force score on guys like Wemby and Holmgren, and draw fouls. The center position is not completely dead.
Of course the center position is not completely dead. It's just evolved significantly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

predicto posted:

This is an utter poo poo of a draft, so there is almost no reason not to go ahead and take a chance on Edey. He’s a dinosaur but perhaps he can brute force score on guys like Wemby and Holmgren, and draw fouls. The center position is not completely dead. Embiid is still extremely effective (I’m not saying Edey has Embiid potential but if he can learn how to set screens and hit the occasional outside shot, maybe he could be an effective starter.)

The center position has never thrived more in recent years, are you from 2007

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Tae posted:

A brief aside:

I remember in NBA Live 2002 that the number one Centre from the rookie draft who always developed into a powerhouse that rivaled Shaq when you simulated multiple seasons was DeSagana Diop

Kwame Brown maxed out at 87 overall after a few years

Just like in real life

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Crazy Ted posted:

Of course the center position is not completely dead. It's just evolved significantly.

Yeah, i think the problem is, the bar for useful offense if you're going to be a lumbering drop-only guy is probably higher than what edey can do, especially off-ball offense. Edey doesn't really have an outside shot for the off-ball role that might make it worth adjusting the defense for him. He's worth taking a flyer on but he strikes me as more Boban than Embiid.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, i think the problem is, the bar for useful offense if you're going to be a lumbering drop-only guy is probably higher than what edey can do, especially off-ball offense. Edey doesn't really have an outside shot for the off-ball role that might make it worth adjusting the defense for him. He's worth taking a flyer on but he strikes me as more Boban than Embiid.

but embiid cant shoot either

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

fart simpson posted:

Embiid oscillates between .330 and .370 from 3pt land at the NBA level and a mid range jumper is his go-to move. Edey has shot like two college threes.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
It seems very easy to learn how to shoot a three though. Plenty of bigs have done it since 2016.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

It seems very easy to learn how to shoot a three though. Plenty of bigs have done it since 2016.

I think i'd be more confident of that if Edey ever actually used a jumper from anywhere on the court, but it's a possibility.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

I looked at this a few years ago and found that about 1/3 of college players who didn't shoot threes (not just bigs) would go on to shoot acceptably in the NBA, which isn't a high number but it's much higher than I thought.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

dokmo posted:

I looked at this a few years ago and found that about 1/3 of college players who didn't shoot threes (not just bigs) would go on to shoot acceptably in the NBA, which isn't a high number but it's much higher than I thought.

Did you look at their FT% in college too? That's usually a good indicator of if a player has the ability to eventually become an outside shooter even if they don't take them in college/as a rookie. Edey is at 70% on his FTs which is pretty much the absolute bottom of the range for anyone you'd conceivably hope to turn into a jump shooter someday.

Edey also has a mediocre block rate and an incredibly low steal rate - those are two really strong indicators of whether you have NBA athleticism and probably the most consistently translatable stats from college to the pros. It's rare that a college player who gets lots of blocks and steals doesn't end up having a career in the NBA (even if it's an end of the rotation kind of guy), but there are legions of excellent college scorers with low athleticism who never make it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

2 wnba coaching rings is not really anything much unless theyre have category bonus multipliers.

Disagree

Telluric Whistler posted:

None of his accolades probably 100% secure him a HOF spot, but altogether its a really impressive and long career dedicated to ball

Agree, and a good way to put it.

tanglewood1420 posted:

If you're putting Michael Cooper in you may as well put Robert Horry in too.

He has the rings but no NBA Defense, no DPOY, and no coaching career.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Edey will need to become a way better rim runner because that little clear out hook shot will not be super effective in the NBA. He seems way too stiff for NBA defense but maybe that looks different with a different scheme. I guess if your taking a late pick and you don't need a lot of flash there's a path where be becomes a Nurkic-like guy or a Plumlee like career but that seems absolutely best path and I'd guess he'd most likely just be an end-of-rotation, "Let's try some size", type guy. That's probably fine at the end of the first. Even in this draft I think there are better "Boom or Bust" types at the end of the lottery and middle of the first.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Question about mines and traps: how do they work with regards to "on hit", "when you hit an enemy" etc.

I am assuming things that work "on hit" will trigger because I see every Explosive Trapper POB using the 15% chance to unnerve enemies on hit eldritrch mod on gloves. But I also assume the lovely mod I got on my sceptre doesn't trigger since its not me doing the hit?

e: wrong thread, leaving it for embarrassing

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 9, 2024

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Question about mines and traps: how do they work with regards to "on hit", "when you hit an enemy" etc.

I am assuming things that work "on hit" will trigger because I see every Explosive Trapper POB using the 15% chance to unnerve enemies on hit eldritrch mod on gloves. But I also assume the lovely mod I got on my sceptre doesn't trigger since its not me doing the hit?

10% increased movement speed would definitely help Edey's NBA prospects.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salvor_Hardin posted:

giannis has this mod

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kwame Brown used to play like he was wearing Eldritch Gloves

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

fart simpson posted:

embiid is shooting close to if not 60% from midrange this season

e: he's shooting 56% from top of the key/nail/left elbow

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 9, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

aBagorn posted:

embiid is shooting close to if not 60% from midrange this season

sorry, colin cowherd recently said embiid can’t shoot and he’s an expert i trust

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Kwame catching strays on this page, sheesh

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
nah, it's okay, the strays will just bounce off his hands and end up out-of-bounds

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tae posted:

I know, I’m just saying that Edey isn’t Roy Hibbert. Because of his inside scoring there is a least a possibility of finding a way to make him a useful part of a rotation..

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

predicto posted:

I know, I’m just saying that Jahlil Okafor isn’t Roy Hibbert. Because of his inside scoring there is a least a possibility of finding a way to make him a useful part of a rotation..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alex Len still has a job