Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So following the thread's advice, I found the Sacred Blade ash, put it on the Celebrant's Skull (which is one of the few weapon I've put upgrade materials into), and crafted some Holy Pots. It still took a couple of tries, but it made a major difference against the Death Rite Bird, and I managed to beat it.

I've made it to Castle Sol, but I'm still wondering if I should invest into another weapon. I like the Bloodhound's Fang (which is at +8) a lot, but I think this is the second time it's been ill-suited for a fight. The first time I think was the Valiant Gargoyles, and that's when I leveled the Celebrant's Skull and Great Stars, but only to about +13/+14.

The only other weapons I've upgraded are the Uchigatana (which I used to deal with the rats in Castle Sol, since the Fang was too slow), and the Nightrider Flail. I know I asked about Rivers of Blood, and Moonveil was mentioned, but I'm thinking of a weapon I can modify with an Ash of War if I need to change the element. The Celebrant's Skull worked fine for what I needed, but I'm wondering if there's something better to go with (thinking maybe I should get a spear/halberd, or a greatsword).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have NEVER heard of anyone using the Celebrants Skull interesting choice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a best longbow I should dump all my stones into

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

So following the thread's advice, I found the Sacred Blade ash, put it on the Celebrant's Skull (which is one of the few weapon I've put upgrade materials into), and crafted some Holy Pots. It still took a couple of tries, but it made a major difference against the Death Rite Bird, and I managed to beat it.

I've made it to Castle Sol, but I'm still wondering if I should invest into another weapon. I like the Bloodhound's Fang (which is at +8) a lot, but I think this is the second time it's been ill-suited for a fight. The first time I think was the Valiant Gargoyles, and that's when I leveled the Celebrant's Skull and Great Stars, but only to about +13/+14.

The only other weapons I've upgraded are the Uchigatana (which I used to deal with the rats in Castle Sol, since the Fang was too slow), and the Nightrider Flail. I know I asked about Rivers of Blood, and Moonveil was mentioned, but I'm thinking of a weapon I can modify with an Ash of War if I need to change the element. The Celebrant's Skull worked fine for what I needed, but I'm wondering if there's something better to go with (thinking maybe I should get a spear/halberd, or a greatsword).

you should try out all of the weapons youve found so far in a low level area until you find one with attacks and animations you like. that said, bloodhounds fang and uchigatana are both A-tier, and uchi might even be S-tier depending on who you ask

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a best longbow I should dump all my stones into

black bow for skirmishing, pulley bow for sniping

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

verbal enema posted:

I have NEVER heard of anyone using the Celebrants Skull interesting choice

I think I went with it because the wiki said it had the highest Physical Damage of all the Great Hammers (Std+25 - 338 Phys, C scaling for STR and DEX)

I watched a video on builds, and the top build was for the Blasphemous Blade, but it sounds like you can cheese the entire game with it. Have to go back and rewatch it, but I think a lot of the builds require heavy investments in either Intelligence or Faith.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I think I went with it because the wiki said it had the highest Physical Damage of all the Great Hammers (Std+25 - 338 Phys, C scaling for STR and DEX)

I watched a video on builds, and the top build was for the Blasphemous Blade, but it sounds like you can cheese the entire game with it. Have to go back and rewatch it, but I think a lot of the builds require heavy investments in either Intelligence or Faith.

most of the videos on “broken builds you can cheese the game with” are made by absolute noobs who found it easy to beat the game by spamming the most busted ashes of war and summoning allies for every boss. dont follow their advice unless you want to be bored

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just keep in mind that AR isn't everything. Weapon reach and move set are also important factors.

If you want an easy, cheesy great hammer, use Great Stars. They have innate bleed and they heal you with each hit. Also you can get two of them in one playthrough.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the most broken build in the game is starting samurai, pumping VIG to 60, and maxing your stock uchi

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vermain posted:

the most broken build in the game is starting samurai, pumping VIG to 60, and maxing your stock uchi

It's actually just magic, but whatever makes it fun for people.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vermain posted:

That was my first run. Unsheath was a great skill early on, and plus the class comes with a bow! Great starter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I would say you really want ranged options, and ashes of war are good for that. But it does mean you want a weapon you can put ashes on.

My current build is either a pike or silura's woe, with either spectral lance or... the giant laser beam that SW comes with. The pike is good because it's long enough that it kinda breaks the AI on a bunch of enemies, at the edge of its range NPC invaders won't attempt to dodge, and you can often hit enemies with it before they start their attack animation. Doesn't have great stagger potential though and DPS falls off at range. Frankly not much really competes with just blasting them with the tree laser because that does idiotic amounts of damage. Specral lance is great for extreme range sniping and a lot of enemies you can headshot with it so it does great stagger and efficient damage per FP. Again kinda struggles in the very late game though.

For my second weapon I have the serpent god's curved sword with storm blade. The curved sword does slash damage and has a nice fast moveset, which makes it a good close quarters weapon. The HP restore on enemy death is nice too, helps keep you topped up. Also storm blade is a top tier ash because you can just spam it and it does (i think) strike damage at good range for little FP cost. Really good for dealing with enemies that you don't want to get close to and much more spammable than spectral lance. I would honestly recommend it for everyone, super useful to have on any non-magic build as it gives you a spammy ranged attack.

Third weapon is spiked caestus, mostly as a blender and pure strike weapon for if I need to beat up something that for whatever reason is resistant to the other damage types, combined with bleed it does great damage if you two hand them but leaves you kinda vulnerable cos it has piss poor range. Occasionally you just want to wale on something though and it's good for that.

Offhand I have the eclipse greatshield and the golden order seal. The greatshield actually does pretty great damage if you put cold on it and use shield crash, the charge forward does multiple hits and has a decent chance of procing frozen which significantly weakens enemies. Only downside is you can't use your other ashes with the shield out if you put that on, so I usually have it on no skill.

I find this works pretty well on everything, lots of ranged capability even without relying on incants, and there are some great incants too to help out though I mostly have utility ones for specific instances.

Basically if you try to fight everything in melee especially in the endgame I think it kinda sucks because the game throws enemies that do a shitload of damage to you and have a shitload of health and poise so they just no-sell everything you hit them with. If you're good at parrying maybe it's better, and using very heavy weapons can sometimes let you stagger things, but on the whole the endgame really pushes you to just not fight stuff close up if you can avoid it, or at least have the option to hit things at range when you can.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 9, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mulva posted:

It's actually just magic, but whatever makes it fun for people.

This. Sorcery is stupidly powerful, and having a powerful spammable ranged option trivializes the majority of encounters in the game.

You can even dual wield Wing of Astel and a Shamshir with minimal stat investment for a melee option. And Wing of Astel has a very good ash of war for certain bosses and enemies. There's also Moonveil if you want a katana, though that does require significantly more stat investment, which might not be worth it if you primarily spam spells.

But yeah, the sheer variety of sorcery on offer in the game gives you tools to kill pretty much any enemy with no real issue, and some enemies can just be straight up deleted with the right setup and Comet Azur. Even just spamming Rock Sling with a Meteor Staff will carry you through most of the game, only swapping over to a better staff in your main hand. Most magic resistant enemies are weak to physical damage as well, so it's a great option for dealing with enemies that would otherwise be harder to take down.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow you guys weren’t kidding about Great Stars. I’m dual wielding, upgraded to +18 and it’s just steamrolling its way through those skinny crystal fuckers

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Has anyone else gotten mileage out of Night Maiden's Mist? I decided to try a night sorcerer and I'm kinda shocked at how ruthlessly this spell melts enemies. It takes a little caution because it'll hurt you if you stand in it, but if you're in a situation where you can throw it out and back off a bit it just blitzes both crowds and single mobs. Are there any other spells that do likewise?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Wow you guys weren’t kidding about Great Stars. I’m dual wielding, upgraded to +18 and it’s just steamrolling its way through those skinny crystal fuckers

The twinkling crystals are fun regardless of weapon until the rot squad and then yeah, you want heavy weapons.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7327706368385895712

In addition to that one inch dodge, never really paid attention to how devastating her windmill kicks are

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 9, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Has anyone else gotten mileage out of Night Maiden's Mist? I decided to try a night sorcerer and I'm kinda shocked at how ruthlessly this spell melts enemies. It takes a little caution because it'll hurt you if you stand in it, but if you're in a situation where you can throw it out and back off a bit it just blitzes both crowds and single mobs. Are there any other spells that do likewise?

It's pretty great for cheesing certain tough enemies as well. Those greatbow snipers in that one Caelid catacomb have a couple of spots that are particularly vulnerable.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

Dirk the Average posted:

It's pretty great for cheesing certain tough enemies as well. Those greatbow snipers in that one Caelid catacomb have a couple of spots that are particularly vulnerable.

Also, if for some reason you want to farm the Crystalians in the Haligtree (just past the Inner Wall grace), it does a nice job of eating through their health (with the added benefit of not actually alerting them.)
You'll probably find a bunch of messages there to that effect.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Night Maiden Mist is also decent on the Albinauric archers since their legs don't work good.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

In my opinion, that's the best weapon in the game for anyone who wants to bash something with a big smashy thing. Not many problems that can't be solved by it with an ash you like.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

used the warped axe for a while because of its greataxe status buildup with regular axe weapon speed but didn't care about losing that at all after switching to the nightrider glaive and gaining all that reach. the immense strength scaling on that thing didn't hurt either. noobs unite

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The misbegotten cleaver has S scaling for STR and a good rear end strong attack and the R1 is fast as hell

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gonna kill some bosses to get store access to retail +8 smithing stones, farm some runes and max out upgrades on a lot of weapons I skipped over

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Did early Margit on Reforged at SL21 with an unupgraded Uchi and good grief that was brutal. Especially using deflects his combo extensions were harrowing and never left me sure when to counter, and sometimes when he felt like it would just chain back into another combo afterwards without ever giving you a turn. The new duck button was fun though, literally just crouching under his spiny whirlwind attack to clutch the fight at the end

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Rusted Anchor :hai:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Just reached mountaintop with the greatshield/maces build from fextralife. Not great for some bosses but its good for dungeons and it trivializes some really annoying enemies.

Having fun just blocking and whacking.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

skasion posted:

It’s even more than this imo, he’s trying to disestablish the very idea of a humanoid god or gods and replace it with pure ideology.

super powered tarnished guy then rips off this idea from his corpse and proceeds to use it to sit on a throne. lol

I already am emboldened by the flame of ambition all the time. The name of this flame is ideology.
\

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

2house2fly posted:

I already am emboldened by the flame of ambition all the time. The name of this flame is ideology.
\

I need Zizek to weigh in on how the subterranean shunning grounds factor into the German-French-English poo poo trilemma

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are there any plots I need to finish before I burn Melina

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Are there any plots I need to finish before I burn Melina

no, you can complete the game without finishing any sidequests.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know but I wanna do all the side quests and don’t want to get locked out since that’s a big turning point

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I know but I wanna do all the side quests and don’t want to get locked out since that’s a big turning point

ill be genuinely impressed if you manage to complete every sidequest in a single playthrough without rigorously consulting a guide

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think basically every sidequest except goldmask ends when you burn the erdtree.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zodium posted:

i think basically every sidequest except goldmask ends when you burn the erdtree.

youre correct, but you burn the erdtree when you defeat malekith, not when melina sacrifices herself

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that's true.

I like this quest checklist: https://roundtablehold.net/checklists/tldr_all_npc_quest_stepsin_order.html

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Worth mentioning some quests are completable again after defeating the final boss. Alexander, for example, and even Gurranq comes back, strangely.

I haven’t tested it but I imagine any quest that ends in a Mending Rune goes away, and of course you want to be sure to get everything you want from Leyndell before defeating Maliketh.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’ve been consulting guides and still hosed up some side quests

So many of them cross cross with each other, or there’s a huge passage of time between steps and I forget about them until it’s too late

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I haven’t tested it but I imagine any quest that ends in a Mending Rune goes away

It can break the Goldmask ending and I guess potentially the Dung ending…if you didn’t pick up the seedbed curses in Leyndell you’d be poo poo out of luck, so to speak. But I think Fia’s ending should still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Somebody should get the word out that you can't FastTrack to Mohgwyn Palace without an online subscription :mad: