Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ol' Hoss Blanco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I appreciate the optimism of still including Lance McCullers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s incredible how bad trea Turner is . The Phillies are really hosed / really hosed up

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The pitch clock is good and it's the pitching that should change :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bregor posted:

I appreciate the optimism of still including Lance McCullers

He's been cleared to read the wikipedia page on baseball, so I'm getting optimistic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Boston hasn't played a home game yet? lmao

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
the mlb should bring back spitballs imo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs should bring back local hero Dick Lovelady.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Bunch of bum flamethrowers can't hold a candle to ole Tyler Anderson

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The current schedule system is bizarre ever since it put less emphasis on division games. The Angels will have a Texas road trip in the middle of May but won't play a team west of Texas until the Mariners on May 31st. If you looked at their April calendar you'd assume they were an East coast team.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Good Dog posted:

The current schedule system is bizarre ever since it put less emphasis on division games. The Angels will have a Texas road trip in the middle of May but won't play a team west of Texas until the Mariners on May 31st. If you looked at their April calendar you'd assume they were an East coast team.

Yeah we don't play our first division game until May, it sucks. The whole of the NL Central has played one division game so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There aren't that many teams west of Texas

Poque posted:

Yeah we don't play our first division game until May, it sucks. The whole of the NL Central has played one division game so far.

OTOH we just played a four game series with the rangers, have a 3 game road series against KC, and then back to MMP for another Rangers series.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Jays played well yesterday but the changes to the skydome look weird especially behind homeplate. It's going to take a while to get used to it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Good Dog posted:

There used to be a husband-and-wife duo that did the schedule, by hand, every year for MLB. Then MLB kicked them to the curb a few years back and now they just put everything into Excel and use the randomize function a few dozen times until something kinda-sorta vaguely makes the barest lick of sense.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1777727304854106513?t=I3oQneQRbmoLrSBJUYRNaw&s=19

:rip: every elbow

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

pitcherpocalypse

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'm still anti pitch clock :c00l:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Unless there is 100% proof that the pitch clock is what is causing the injuries, being anti pitch clock is certifiably insane.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

mcmagic posted:

Unless there is 100% proof that the pitch clock is what is causing the injuries, being anti pitch clock is certifiably insane.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In that interview JV is like "so you got a guy who can throw a hundred, he goes out and throws one 95 and it gets hit out of the park, everyone is like "what the hell, man". The incentives are too good, and the disincentives too harsh for anything but max effort. Very few (if any) non-max effort guys will make the league, and really what the guys are risking is a routine procedure that returns almost everyone back to pre-injury ability. Now obviously a bunch of star pitchers losing 16 or so months because of UCL tears is bad for fans and for the sport, but if you're a pitcher who is trying to make the big leagues, if you aren't giving every pitch 100 percent you are handicapping yourself, and have to weigh "I am now a car salesman" vs "I am going to tear tendons in my arm at some point pitching in the majors". I don't know what the solution is, like at all, it just seems like everyone was just playing the game sub-optimallly for a long time without knowing it. This is why you never eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Also the reason I think it's not the pitch clock is that it's about what the pace was back in the day before all the stepping out of the box and pacing around the mound and tightening your gloves 100 times. Maybe it's the pitch clock plus max effort, but it's also kids learning how to throw velo at a very young age among dozens of other factors. Glasnow says it's because the league banned sticky stuff, and having to grip the ball so hard to get the desired spin is what he attributes his injury to.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 9, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Pitchers have to give max effort or else little Jackie Jerfson is gonna lose his parlay, and we can't risk that

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

:hmmyes:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

Pitchers have to give max effort or else little Brohei Schmohtani is gonna lose his parlay, and we can't risk that

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Give me the four hour grind fests, I don't care :getin:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Pivetta being hurt is like the opposite of a surprise

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

There should be a specific substance that the pitchers are allowed to use on the ball. Some standardized thing like Vaseline, nothing else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Give me the four hour grind fests, I don't care :getin:

you can't be a yankees/pats fan and be normal

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bellmaker posted:

Pivetta being hurt is like the opposite of a surprise

First time he's ever gone on the IL due to injury.

https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1777734559955656724

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mdemone posted:

There should be a specific substance that the pitchers are allowed to use on the ball. Some standardized thing like Vaseline, nothing else.

This won't prevent max effort though; they'll keep throwing/spinning as hard as they can, but with whatever extra the allowed substance gives it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One of the big TJS surgeons was interviewed about it recently and said it's entirely because of max effort/spin efficiency poo poo, and also that pitchers are chasing that kind of stuff way younger in their lives and it's just putting too much stress on the arm. Apparently the UCL doesn't actually reach full tensile strength until around age 26, and the doctor estimated that throwing anything over ~80mph prior to that puts stress on the ligament that can ultimately require TJS. Obviously any pitcher who waits until age 26 to throw >80 just isn't going to even register as a potential MLB guy.

zoux posted:

The incentives are too good, and the disincentives too harsh for anything but max effort.

Yep. If you're a HS pitcher and you're not throwing max effort and chasing spin rates you're gonna get left in the dust by the tens of thousands of other HS pitchers who all are and will draw the attention of scouts over you. And the difference is millions of dollars in potential draft money, and potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in earnings from a fruitful MLB career.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

One of the big TJS surgeons was interviewed about it recently and said it's entirely because of max effort/spin efficiency poo poo, and also that pitchers are chasing that kind of stuff way younger in their lives and it's just putting too much stress on the arm. Apparently the UCL doesn't actually reach full tensile strength until around age 26, and the doctor estimated that throwing anything over ~80mph prior to that puts stress on the ligament that can ultimately require TJS. Obviously any pitcher who waits until age 26 to throw >80 just isn't going to even register as a potential MLB guy.

Ronel Blanco about to become the GOAT longevity guy

That's another thing Verlander talks about in the interview, that he can't open his instagram feed without seeing a million 12 year old kids being taught how to throw as hard as possible and he says that isn't how he came up. But he was also undrafted out of high school and didn't mature into his pitching body until college. But of course, you aren't going to make the majors these days unless you are going to Dr gently caress's SPIN Academy starting at age five.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I feel like I noticed Tampa being at the cutting edge of turning random pitchers into maestros and then having their arms give out. May have even preceded the pitch clock.

Teams all have MRI machines in their facilities now, can they just give pitchers scans after every game? Of course it seems like every time a guy with some wear on the elbow tries to rehab instead of surgery they end up still needing TJ

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 9, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well I guess somebody better figure out a way to train up your UCL. Or some kind of preventative treatment, just shoot a guy's elbow full of stem cells or whatever

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best

AlbertFlasher posted:

Jays played well yesterday but the changes to the skydome look weird especially behind homeplate. It's going to take a while to get used to it.
It's pretty ugly on tv.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Teams all have MRI machines in their facilities now, can they just give pitchers scans after every game? Of course it seems like every time a guy with some wear on the elbow tries to rehab instead of surgery they end up still needing TJ

I've read that the players would never agree to this since the MRI is going to show whatever damage they inevitably have and get them put on the IL sooner.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Slimy Hog posted:

I've read that the players would never agree to this since the MRI is going to show whatever damage they inevitably have and get them put on the IL sooner.

oh no, don't want to let the teams protect their players! (????)

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Theres been some talk of offseason training programs and the new necessity of young guys to spend their winters putting in time developing pitches and doing tunneling work. Some recent old heads talking about how they didn't even touch a baseball for months and wouldn't be throwing off a mound until spring training. The incentives for a kid to work all winter and be game ready on March 1st is too great.

Maybe the ball has been hosed with too much and they need to go back to a stickier ball with more prominent seams? Or would players still throw as hard while gripping the same as they do now, just with even more velo and rotation? What do Tommy John surgery rates look like in the KBO or NPB?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

AlbertFlasher posted:

It looks like a Moxies

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Good Dog posted:

Theres been some talk of offseason training programs and the new necessity of young guys to spend their winters putting in time developing pitches and doing tunneling work. Some recent old heads talking about how they didn't even touch a baseball for months and wouldn't be throwing off a mound until spring training. The incentives for a kid to work all winter and be game ready on March 1st is too great.

Maybe the ball has been hosed with too much and they need to go back to a stickier ball with more prominent seams? Or would players still throw as hard while gripping the same as they do now, just with even more velo and rotation? What do Tommy John surgery rates look like in the KBO or NPB?

None of that will get pitchers to stop throwing as hard as they can, with as much torque as they can.

The only incentives that can work would be incentives at the team level. Which means limiting how many pitchers a team can use, and changing the conditions of the game to make it harder to hit home runs but easier to put the ball in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

Obviously any pitcher who waits until age 26 to throw >80 just isn't going to even register as a potential MLB guy.

New market inefficiency will be failed infielders converting to pitching.