Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Florida keeps on Floriding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Ither posted:

https://twitter.com/yakisobarage/status/1777755218526036171/photo/1

She only won by 280 votes in the midterms.

The two parties are not the same. Make sure you vote.

This will probably be the last year I get to vote in AZ, stoked to do my small part in pushing the red out.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

fuckin snowflakes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

On the other hand, I'd wait until someone actually gets charged and sentenced for it; instead of it likely being dropped as part of the inevitable plea bargain for some other applicable crime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As someone who's been following political messaging on abortion for 30 years it's insane how much Dobbs hosed them up.

https://twitter.com/DougDucey/status/1777749104589930838

https://twitter.com/TJShope/status/1777757975190569337

What happened to "life begins at conception" fellas? You know like Kari Lake believes

She's a person that doesn't believe that life begins when it is politically expedient to do so, she believes that abortion is murder and is in favor of the 1864 Territorial law!

https://twitter.com/kadiagoba/status/1777763685160698187

Oh wait no, my mistake.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dobbs is the legal version of the dog chasing cars who actually catches one. They don't know what to do with it.

They didn't want to actually BAN abortion, they just wanted to RUN against abortion and use that issue to get people to the polls to keep electing republicans.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Cimber posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dobbs is the legal version of the dog chasing cars who actually catches one. They don't know what to do with it.

They didn't want to actually BAN abortion, they just wanted to RUN against abortion and use that issue to get people to the polls to keep electing republicans.
If they didn't want to ban abortion, why did red states immediately ban it after the Dobbs decision?

If they don't want to ban abortion, why are they planning to fully ban it federally if Trump wins?

Seems like they want to ban abortion to me.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 9, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yep. They wanted to keep "we could ban abortion" as a campaign issue, and periodically pass restrictions to harass women and keep them in their place, but keep services technically available for when their own daughters need it. They knew that actually making a serious attempt to wipe out abortion nationwide would trigger an enormous backlash and risk having rights permanently enshrined in a way that's far harder for them to attack. And then they went ahead and did it, and now the backlash is here

selec
Sep 6, 2003

haveblue posted:

Yep. They wanted to keep "we could ban abortion" as a campaign issue, and periodically pass restrictions to harass women and keep them in their place, but keep services technically available for when their own daughters need it. They knew that actually making a serious attempt to wipe out abortion nationwide would trigger an enormous backlash and risk having rights permanently enshrined in a way that's far harder for them to attack. And then they went ahead and did it, and now the backlash is here

I think this is oversimplifying the factions within the right.

You’re describing one faction, but do you think that description fits the AZSC and their decision?

There is obviously friction within the GOP over what the policy should actually be.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It seems like both parties have a perverse incentive to fight the issue out state-by-state for basically public relations reasons. Neither party is well-positioned to pass anything nationally, so we can only wonder whether or not they actually want to.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand, I'd wait until someone actually gets charged and sentenced for it; instead of it likely being dropped as part of the inevitable plea bargain for some other applicable crime.

It's not actually good to add even more bullshit charges that are used to pressure people into plea deals to avoid facing hard time. The Flordia bill authorizes a felony of the first degree for this, which is punishable by 'a term of imprisonment not exceeding 30 years'. Pretty sure it's worth taking a plea deal to go down to 2 years whether or not any of the charges are true when that's what you're facing, and laws like this is part of the reason why.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The timing of Trump trying to put out a wishy-washy "we give it back to the states" statement on abortion followed by the SCOAZ reinstating a law from before AZ was a state, and before women could even vote, is loving hilarious.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
In retrospect, it was probably a very bad idea for the Republican party to wage a 50-year-long campaign of domestic terrorism against abortion for votes.

If only someone had tried to warn them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Republicans want to ban abortion. Thats why they keep doing it.

Upper echelon big money Republican strategists probably saw more value in the potential of the thing than the thing itself, but most Republicans want to punish women for having sex so they want it banned.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think the chuds just don't want to lose the next election over abortion. Once they are fully back in power it's game on for a federal ban since im sure there won't even be elections after that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I think Roe was giving them cover from the base. The base honestly thinks abortion is murder and wants it totally banned, but Republicans could pass some "late term" restriction that bans 1% of abortions and point to Roe. Now if they do that, the base sees that they banned 1% of murders and thinks they're uniparty RINOS.

Trump's questionnaire for job applicants asks whether "life has a right to legal protection from conception to natural death" so obviously they want to ban it.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 9, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Republicans want to ban abortion. Thats why they keep doing it.

Upper echelon big money Republican strategists probably saw more value in the potential of the thing than the thing itself, but most Republicans want to punish women for having sex so they want it banned.

It used to be that the big money strategists ran the party, and kept the rabid ones on a leash to use as an exploitable source of votes. This has now been reversed, the rabid ones are running the party and the big money strategists are forced to run after them or lose influence

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

As someone who's been following political messaging on abortion for 30 years it's insane how much Dobbs hosed them up.

What happened to "life begins at conception" fellas? You know like Kari Lake believes

She's a person that doesn't believe that life begins when it is politically expedient to do so, she believes that abortion is murder and is in favor of the 1864 Territorial law!

Oh wait no, my mistake.

i feel like alot of the grfiter types are slowly realizing their true believer friends actually are dead eyed zealots and don't care about "optics" and "exceptions" when they have a possible chance at real national power because trump will just sign whatever even if he thinks its dumb.

selec posted:

I think this is oversimplifying the factions within the right.

You’re describing one faction, but do you think that description fits the AZSC and their decision?

There is obviously friction within the GOP over what the policy should actually be.

this. the GOP has alot of moving parts and they dont have a smart governing body to keep them in line. trump doesnt give a poo poo about abortion but would sign a super duper national ban if it was laid infront of him the right way. its the loving hitler wheel system all over again where all the chud factions are mostly loyal to trump for various reasons but loving hate each other. many will fall in line in november no matter what happens but its gonna be a shitshow before that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 9, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

zoux posted:

The timing of Trump trying to put out a wishy-washy "we give it back to the states" statement on abortion followed by the SCOAZ reinstating a law from before AZ was a state, and before women could even vote, is loving hilarious.

Since it's from 1864, Arizona was aligned with the Confederacy. State's rights, traditions, all we ask is to be let alone, deo vindice, etc etc.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Worth noting that the linked article does not quite back up what the tweet says, and neither does the article in the tweet that this tweet links to, and neither does the actual bill text (as far as I can see).

The closest they get is that the Salon article notes that the Florida bill does not require a drug test before prosecution, but it still requires the person to have actually been exposed to fentanyl. To be specific, the law criminalizes "recklessly expos[ing] a first responder to dangerous fentanyl or fentanyl analogs" which results in "an overdose or serious bodily injury of the first responder". So while the law doesn't specifically require that the first responder be drug tested for fentanyl exposure, "there wasn't actually any fentanyl there" and "there was no way you were actually exposed to fentanyl" are both defenses in court.

It's still bad, because it means that the threshold for determining whether someone was exposed or not is up to individual legal wrangling in each and every case rather than having a clear and consistent standard, but it's nowhere near making it a crime to cause an officer to have a panic attack.

Besides, it's small potatoes compared to a Tennessee bill mentioned in that same article, SB 1754. That bill would add fentanyl to the state's lists of illegal chemical weapons and weapons of mass destruction, and would also make possession of fentanyl automatically qualify as "aggravated assault" if the first responder comes into contact with it in any way, regardless of whether the first responder suffers any imaginary or actual harm as a result.

And while the Florida law carves out an explicit exception for people who call 911 to get medical attention for a suspected overdose, the Tennessee bill doesn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Pew analysis finds the massive, CRA-level racial realignment shown in presidential polling crosstabs is fake.

So's the young men/young women one

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If true believers hold dear that abortion is murder and life begins at conception then how will they react to their allies selling them out for 15 week compromise life does not actually begin until after 15 weeks and abortion is not always murder positions.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

James Garfield posted:

I think Roe was giving them cover from the base. The base honestly thinks abortion is murder and wants it totally banned, but Republicans could pass some "late term" restriction that bans 1% of abortions and point to Roe. Now if they do that, the base sees that they banned 1% of murders and thinks they're uniparty RINOS.

Trump's questionnaire for job applicants asks whether "life has a right to legal protection from conception to natural death" so obviously they want to ban it.

People are saying this, but Republicans were getting 6 week bans passed in states prior to this. I guess you could argue they expected it would get overturned, but they continued with this push after Dobbs.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

davecrazy posted:

If true believers hold dear that abortion is murder and life begins at conception then how will they react to their allies selling them out for 15 week compromise life does not actually begin until after 15 weeks and abortion is not always murder positions.

they will go loving insane in private prayer groups and wail about it inside cloistered communities. elderly tradcaths who sit in rooms with dark leather couches with their industry connected friends will particularly excel at this and decide they need to engineer more fedsocs into the judicial system

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

zoux posted:

New Pew analysis finds the massive, CRA-level racial realignment shown in presidential polling crosstabs is fake.

So's the young men/young women one

A little surprised. I expected the swelling popularity of Trump among all ethnic minorities but only in poll responses was an illusion, but I figured the growing gender gap stuff had some meat to it even if not "Young men are mostly hardcore Trumpers" level.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/04/09/settlement-new-york-robocalls-black-voters/

Our old idiot friends Wohl and Burkman agreed to pay $1M to settle the charges if robocalls trying to stop blacks voting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Killer robot posted:

A little surprised. I expected the swelling popularity of Trump among all ethnic minorities but only in poll responses was an illusion, but I figured the growing gender gap stuff had some meat to it even if not "Young men are mostly hardcore Trumpers" level.

i think alot of people poo poo on various stuff dems and the left do but still lean in that direction still. i dont mean just stuff like i/p or healthcare or any specific issue from a left wing angle but like being vaguely dem is kinda the "status quo" now for alot of U40 people. people are gonna be all over the place with ceitain issues. i dont know how to describe it better but thats kinda my expirence.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 9, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think alot of people poo poo on various stuff dems and the left do but still lean in that direction still. i dont mean just stuff like i/p or healthcare or any specific issue from a left wing angle but like being vaguely dem is kinda the "status quo" now for alot of U40 people. people are gonna be all over the place with ceitain issues. i dont know how to describe it better but thats kinda my expirence.

"I voted for Biden who promised me all this stuff and nothing happened and he isn't keeping his promises!

No, I don't know what the Phil-a-buster is, why do you ask?"

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

zoux posted:

Oh wait no, my mistake.

God drat the Republicans are going to lose so bad. The only question is whether Biden will win by 5, 8, or 10.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cimber posted:

"I voted for Biden who promised me all this stuff and nothing happened and he isn't keeping his promises!

The filibuster that the Dems refused to remove?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cimber posted:

nah. i dont even mean That type of poo poo and i am not starting that argument. i more mean alot of u40 are more "default dem voters" like how boomers became default republican voters.

the GOP is super out of step with alot of society and U40 types. yeah the tate bros and younger chuds exist, but alot of them are dumb kids, like when i was in my teens, I was a liberterian and wanna be epic troll in my teens and said lots of stupid edgy poo poo. alot of them will come/have come to the conclusion that that reactionary poo poo is gross and sucks and doesnt help you any. it did for me. Most people arnt big political grognards, not even most zoomers. I think its just dems are becoming more of the default choice for u40 because it represensts alot of what they agree with.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 9, 2024

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah. i dont even mean That type of poo poo and i am not starting that argument. i more mean alot of u40 are more "default dem voters" like how boomers became default republican voters.

the GOP is super out of step with alot of society and U40 types. yeah the tate bros and younger chuds exist, but alot of them are dumb kids, like when i was in my teens, I was a liberterian and wanna be epic troll in my teens and said lots of stupid edgy poo poo. alot of them will come/have come to the conclusion that that reactionary poo poo is gross and sucks and doesnt help you any. it did for me. Most people arnt big political grognards, not even most zoomers. I think its just dems are becoming more of the default choice for u40 because it represensts alot of what they agree with.

Yeah I mean it’s still 36% GOP. Even if it were 20% GOP that’s still, over the population, a lot of people and a lot of potential Andrew Tates. I was a 9/11 kid so I was rah rah GOP for a minute there but luckily wisened up before I could actually vote. The old thing was that young people were more liberal and as you got older FYGM took over and you drifted right. Well, we aren’t getting ours. I don’t have a whole lot to conserve. Purely pragmatically it’s making way more sense for way more people to stay left.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Slate article on the Arizona decision pointed something out to me- two of the judges who just enacted the abortion ban will themselves be on the ballot in November. If they are removed, they get replaced by the governor, who is a Democrat

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Cimber posted:

They want it both ways. They want a full abortion ban, no exceptions, because keeping women subservient to men is part of their fundamental beliefs. However, they also want to run on abortion because it proved to be a vote-driver since Roe was enabled. It's easier to run on "vote for us and we'll do X" then "vote for us and we'll keep X the way it is".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think the biggest issue right now is that they like abortion bans and want to control women, but they have noticed that since Dobbs they are getting absolutely loving wrecked at the polls over it. It's not about what they believe but what is politically viable. Turns out that even people who would normally vote R don't actually want to live in Gilead with the tradcath/evangelical psychos running things.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Oil! posted:

People are saying this, but Republicans were getting 6 week bans passed in states prior to this. I guess you could argue they expected it would get overturned, but they continued with this push after Dobbs.

Right, the base and the politicians both want to ban all abortions but the politicians know that doing that would hurt them in elections. When Roe was in effect they could say "I believe abortion is murder, but we can't do a total ban until Roe is overturned" and the base would put up with it. Now that they don't have that option, they still try to compromise because endorsing a total abortion ban would kill them in the general election, but the base sees that, thinks they're uniparty RINOs, and elects some out of state groyper who lied about his military service in the primary.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Byzantine posted:

The filibuster that the Dems refused to remove?

Right, that's the next line in that conversation, which is followed by "Is 48 a larger number than 52?"

edit for substance: Man, there's a hilarious amount of coping apparent in this article by "W. James Antle III is executive editor of the Washington Examiner magazine and author of “Devouring Freedom: Can Government Ever Be Stopped?”"

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/09/opinions/trumps-abortion-compromise-after-roe-has-merit-antle/index.html

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 10, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sarcastro posted:

Right, that's the next line in that conversation, which is followed by "Is 48 a larger number than 52?"

drat, there's 52 Republicans in the Senate and the GOP controls both house of Congress?

To be clear, I'm not arguing that the Dems could've done it, but I am pushing back on the characterization of the critic as a stupid fucker who can't even pronounce 'filibuster'. Dems control/led the Senate, it was a big deal that got everybody praising Stacy Abrams for delivering Georgia! People were being embarrassing and posting clips from the end of Return of the Jedi all over the place. But lo, only a foolish fool would believe that controlling the Senate means you control the Senate.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Biden says he is examining power to shut US border on his own

quote:

WASHINGTON, April 9 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden said in an interview broadcast on Tuesday that he and his administration are trying to determine whether he has the authority to act on his own to shut down the U.S.'s southern border with Mexico to migrants, should it be deemed necessary.

Biden told Univision in the interview that because bipartisan legislation that would have granted him the authority to shut the border was stalled by Republicans in Congress, he was being encouraged to try to do it alone.
"We're examining whether or not I have that power," Biden said, adding there was "no guarantee" he has the power without legislation.

Migration is a central issue in this year's presidential campaign. Former President Donald Trump, Biden's likely Republican opponent in the Nov. 5 election, has accused Biden of bungling border issues.

Obviously eyeing the election here, but I do wonder how far he will actually go with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Byzantine posted:

drat, there's 52 Republicans in the Senate and the GOP controls both house of Congress?

Of course there are not 52 Republicans in the Senate! But there are/were 52 votes against nuking the filibuster, which was obviously the point!

Whatever. It's as reductive to say "the Democrats refused to nuke the filibuster" as it is to say "I voted for Biden who promised me all this stuff and nothing happened and he isn't keeping his promises!", which was what started that tangent.