Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I want to draw some attention back to an overlooked part of Naftali Bennet's post.

I don't think he's seen the movie.

they also dont appear to understand what happened on october 7. machetes?

is there a version of the blood libel but for beheadings and muslims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

iean, as far as ive read, the only reason they found beheaded bodies from oct were because of helicopters turning fleeing people into pepper steak

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I want to draw some attention back to an overlooked part of Naftali Bennet's post.

Jim Carrey is Israel confirmed

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
In this metaphor, the people tearing down the facade of the truman show are also the people who built and maintained the facade of the truman show?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al! posted:

iean, as far as ive read, the only reason they found beheaded bodies from oct were because of helicopters turning fleeing people into pepper steak

under the doctrine of felony murder, these deaths are legally the responsibility of Hamas no matter how they actually died

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
And the truman, in this case, was content with the facade and wanted it to remain?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It continues to be galling that the dismemberment and burning of the dead bodies is constantly trotted out as evidence of Hamas barbarism when those injuries are far FAR more consistent with the use of heavy munitions. I would ask if they think we're stupid but I know the answer to that question.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, what's this analogy supposed to mean? What's that from? Some barbarians tear down the screens. Isn't that a good thing? I mean the Truman show is about torturing one dude for entertainment of the world. Seems just to tear that poo poo down.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

And the truman, in this case, was content with the facade and wanted it to remain?

None of the defenders of Western Civilization have ever encountered it, as one of the twitter guys I used to follow was wont to say.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jen heir rick posted:

Yeah, what's this analogy supposed to mean? What's that from? Some barbarians tear down the screens. Isn't that a good thing? I mean the Truman show is about torturing one dude for entertainment of the world. Seems just to tear that poo poo down.

it means the palestinians are wild animals and must be exterminated without pity or a second thought

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

More of a goebbels 2

He's some jackass who isn't even particularly notable from this list 2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lawyers_in_the_Nazi_Party

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Jen heir rick posted:

I think it's just a very shallow analogy where Truman's town is good and the outside is bad.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the two old sheriffs in the diner at the end of no country for old men is the only worthwhile literary reference towards real world events.

everything else comes across as tortured or insanely stupid.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Yes that is the part that makes sense. He already said that Israel was content with living normal westoid consoomer lifestyles, so they are the Truman in the analogy. What doesn't make sense is the savages tearing down screens with machetes. The Truman Show was a fully realized environment inside a massive soundstage. The catch was that Truman could never leave his hometown. I think Bennet is getting his metaphors mixed up with The Wizard of Oz.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes that is the part that makes sense. He already said that Israel was content with living normal westoid consoomer lifestyles, so they are the Truman in the analogy. What doesn't make sense is the savages tearing down screens with machetes. The Truman Show was a fully realized environment inside a massive soundstage. The catch was that Truman could never leave his hometown. I think Bennet is getting his metaphors mixed up with The Wizard of Oz.

in a sense the israel/truman show metaphor is apt but not in the way he's thinking

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I always saw Ares being depicted as kind of a dumb awful loser in Greek myth, and I feel this was kind of a dig at the Spartans.

What we thing of as "Greek myth" was mostly written down by Athenians so yeah exactly

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Strong Ukraine tweet vibes from this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

did usula k. ever sue the truman show producers btw

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Chamale posted:

Rest in peace, Peter Higgs, the physicist who correctly predicted the existence of the Higgs Boson. He was awarded the Wolf Prize in physics in 2004, and refused to travel to Israel to accept it because of Israel's treatment of Palestinians. He died yesterday at age 94.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68774195

o7

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I always saw Ares being depicted as kind of a dumb awful loser in Greek myth, and I feel this was kind of a dig at the Spartans.
They got conquered by the Romans so I'm going to say Ares won that one. After reinventing himself as Mars Strider and perfecting a new finishing move.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ares is basically a psychopath who loves war as a form of exercise. Definitely based on a certain type of guys we're all familiar with.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Rubellavator posted:

I think it's just a very shallow analogy where Truman's town is good and the outside is bad.

Well I don't think they've thought this out at all. I dare say this person might be stupid.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

not particularly shocked that the most reddit man in the most reddit branch of the us war machine has an affinity for the most reddit subculture around the most reddit war

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what I would give for the sinking of the USS Soy

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Zodium posted:

drat. he was one of my methodology idols. didn't know about the wolf prize thing, but professionally he was a principled man. rip higgs.

he was a cool dude

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al-Saqr posted:

Australia might recognize palestinian statehood albeit in the only way a white country can

===========

‎"Recognizing a Palestinian state, which can only exist side by side with a secure Israeli state, will not only provide Palestinians with an opportunity to realize their aspirations," but "will also strengthen the forces of peace and undermine extremism. This will weaken Hamas, Iran and its other allies in the region."‎

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%82%D9%8A%D8%AF

Rewarding the al Aqsa flood with recognizing Palestine's statehood will weaken Hamas. I am very smart.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The entirety of the historical lesson is that a society based around suppressing the helots is incapable of economic or intellectual flourishing. For fucks sake.

I think this is kind of missing the point. Those things weren't generally important to Spartans. Sparta had a stable society for centuries, based around this sort of brutal repression. It's not like silicone valley is particularly good at encouraging economic or intellectual flourishing in its society. Where the idea breaks down imo is the idea of modern Spartiates having a non military job, even if it's just fart app development.

hailthefish posted:

no great poets,

It's more that all great Spartan poetry was only a few words long

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Spartan culture was oriented around a kind of fascist vision of militant homoeroticism, but with an ancient pansexual twist. They needed all that leisure time so both sexes could be constantly performing to peak physical shape with frequent view of each others' nude bodies. It was definitely the kind of society Bronze Age Pervert dreams of.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

why does he say in Sparta? Like is the entire region Sparta?

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

not particularly shocked that the most reddit man in the most reddit branch of the us war machine has an affinity for the most reddit subculture around the most reddit war

Imagining the hours of self congratulatory naval command meetings about social media engagement while they piss away any prestige they still had.

Guy makes an aircraft carrier look lame as hell

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

instead of a duty roster, the uss eisenhower uses a chore wheel

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

instead of a duty roster, the uss eisenhower uses a chore wheel

this feels true

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Being on a carrier as an enlisted person is already a hellish existence, Jesus loving Christ I would have been filling the AFFF lines full of JP5 in a week if that was my CO when I was in.

Has the US even continued guarding prosperity? Seems like they gave up on air strikes in like two week and are scared of getting boats anywhere near missile range.

AA should get a carrier group from the peace deal, it’s only fair.

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Apr 9, 2024

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i think a few posters said it before but to me every single person in those carrier groups is 100% compliment in this genocide as well, concentration camp guards to make sure israel can complete its insanity

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hero hackers have successfully penetrated silicon valley sparta

=====

Israeli newspaper: Hackers hack the Defense Ministry's systems

Israel’s newspaper said today, Tuesday evening, that Israel’s Defense Ministry systems were hacked, raising fears of leaking sensitive information.

The newspaper reported that hackers announced that they had hacked the Defense Department’s computers, putting their hands on sensitive information.

She added that they posted the information in groups on the Telegram platform, and also posted a video that they claimed to show how they hacked Defense Department systems and accessed the information.

She noted that the pirates demanded that Israel release 500 security prisoners (Palestinian prisoners).

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31610;&%231583;

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hamas is kicking rear end, heavy mortaring the HQ of the IDF in the netzarim corridor, and shelling tank concentrations

======

Al-Qassam: We bombed the Netsarim axis with 11 mortar shells

The Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), said they bombed a headquarters and an engineering gathering in the Netsarim axis with 11 mortar shells.

Al-Qassam: We bombed a gathering of the occupation mechanisms in the Shujaiya neighborhood

The Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), said its forces bombed a gathering of Israeli mechanisms in the Shujaiya neighborhood east of Gaza City with 18 mortar shells.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31610;&%231583;

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

HallelujahLee posted:

i think a few posters said it before but to me every single person in those carrier groups is 100% compliment in this genocide as well, concentration camp guards to make sure israel can complete its insanity

Wehrmacht is a better analogy imo. Much more banal type of evil.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wehrmacht is a better analogy imo. Much more banal type of evil.

fair point

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Being on a carrier as an enlisted person is already a hellish existence, Jesus loving Christ I would have been filling the AFFF lines full of JP5 in a week if that was my CO when I was in.

Has the US even continued guarding prosperity? Seems like they gave up on air strikes in like two week and are scared of getting boats anywhere near missile range.

AA should get a carrier group from the peace deal, it’s only fair.

they asked Yemen to stop the blockade in exchange for taking them back off the terrorism list

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

no offence to all of you who are american military people but i sure as heck dont thank you for your service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Spartan culture was oriented around a kind of fascist vision of militant homoeroticism, but with an ancient pansexual twist. They needed all that leisure time so both sexes could be constantly performing to peak physical shape with frequent view of each others' nude bodies. It was definitely the kind of society Bronze Age Pervert dreams of.

Spara was very much no girls allowed dude. That was definitely not pan sexual, and nobody cared about women's bodies.

On her wedding night, a woman had her hair shaved like a soldier, was dressed in mens clothes, and went into her husband's chambers after dark.