Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
there are few enough people not doing trials that i think im going to get a top 100 placement in solo barbarian and subsequent horse cosmetic. i did one blind run last tuesday in the most populated category and might get the best reward. even top 10 doesn't look out of reach while not having uber uniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

harrygomm posted:

there are few enough people not doing trials that i think im going to get a top 100 placement in solo barbarian and subsequent horse cosmetic. i did one blind run last tuesday in the most populated category and might get the best reward. even top 10 doesn't look out of reach while not having uber uniques.

Yeah everyone on PTR or just waiting for season 4

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

harrygomm posted:

Nice. I’m still leveling glyphs, but I’m similarly hoping to place at least top 100 before the season’s over.

In other news, I’m going to go ahead and start a new clan for anyone interested in easier grouping. Clan name is “Contra Astrum Infernum” <CONTRA>. Feel free to send requests to Ersatz#1915. I’m happy to officer anyone in the thread.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ersatz posted:

In other news, I’m going to go ahead and start a new clan for anyone interested in easier grouping. Clan name is “Contra Astrum Infernum” <CONTRA>. Feel free to send requests to Ersatz#1915. I’m happy to officer anyone in the thread.

Request sent in-game. PSN is Static_Rook.

Only level 55 since I haven't played in like a month, but I'll be on most nights until the end of the season. Splitting time between this and PoE.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I actually decided to put some time into season 4 and see things through and am doing nightmare and torment difficulties - something I didn't do at all before now - so all this is probably old news to some of you: it really puts into perspective at how really worthless "end-game" gameplay is in these games. If you look at any build video or website they all have the most ideal setups imaginable for their gear. I look at that and wonder "how many hundreds of hours did you waste getting those four affixes to line up?" Hell, even managing to get two is an exercise in tedium. Aspects can and do a lot of the heavy lifting but I get so much gear from these dungeons and 99.9% (and even this number is being generous) of it being worthless trash is the most depressing and off-putting thing I've ever experienced in a video game. This isn't unique to Diablo IV, by the way, Diablo 2 has this problem too - heck, all ARPGs have this problem.

I sound like a broken record, sorry about that, but it just baffles me that designers see this and think it's the most ideal system for these games. You see that pillar of orange light and the satisfying drop sound and the most you can muster is "eh, whatever." Like what the hell happened? None of this is exciting. And when you get what you need? It's not even exciting you're just relieved that you have one less thing to grind out. Credit where credit is due in that, as I said, the aspect system is superb and mitigates a lot of the need to seriously find the perfect god-rolled piece of equipment but it still doesn't change the fact that most gear are just vendor trash. If this is the route they wish to take they should seriously just have all enemies drop crafting materials and let you make your gear. Saves the steps of flagging everything as junk before you sell it/break it down.

It's just frustrating because the rest of the game is really solid. The core is there. If the game was unsalvageable I wouldn't even bother to complain but the combat is just second-to-none fantastic. It's beefy, solid and satisfying. It's just a lot of the systems around it are poop from a butt and I really wish they were as satisfying to engage with as the combat is.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

have you considered its just not the genre for you and that these arent game design flaws but just something you personally dont enjoy. my advice would be to spend time playing something that does work in a way you like rather than hoping an entire genre will bend and warp to your specific tastes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jimbot posted:

This isn't unique to Diablo IV, by the way, Diablo 2 has this problem too - heck, all ARPGs have this problem.

I sound like a broken record, sorry about that, but it just baffles me that designers see this and think it's the most ideal system for these games.

like i cant believe you can type these two things out next to each other but cant work out whats going on. if diablo 2 has this "problem" but it managed to be extremely popular and enjoyed to this day, and spawned an entire genre almost single handedly, then you should be able to work out why people designing a game in the genre it spawned think these are good systems.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

like i cant believe you can type these two things out next to each other but cant work out whats going on. if diablo 2 has this "problem" but it managed to be extremely popular and enjoyed to this day, and spawned an entire genre almost single handedly, then you should be able to work out why people designing a game in the genre it spawned think these are good systems.

Yeah this.

It sounds like a you problem.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If a game ever becomes an obligation to you then put it down and meditate on it a bit. I don't play arpgs when I'm not having a good time piloting builds through monsters and getting new orange glow to see what I can do.

I stopped playing Diablo 2 after 5-7 years that doesn't mean it was actually bad all along.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm not sure how much of the campaign is left but now that I'm officially in Hell my skeleton crew is starting to fall behind in damage output. They're not too squishy, but it's taking significantly longer for me to deal with boss type monsters, especially the big blobby meatbag who puked poison all over the place. Can't recall his name. My beloved cluster bombs are still good against basic creeps but are also not getting it done with the higher level enemies. I haven't been diligent with replacing my equipment because it's difficult to find worthwhile new stuff to imprint extracted aspects from my current gear, but perhaps it's time to just go with whatever I can find.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Stux posted:

It doesn't mean I can't criticize them. FPSs for a while after DOOM followed the same formula it did, it was the standard. Then Half-Life came out and then that became the standard. Call of Duty? Everyone's copying that. Then DOOM came out again and showed, oh yeah, that old way of doing things was still valid. Wanting something different from the genre standard isn't some weird, unreasonable position. I played a ton out of Diablo 2 but if you can't see that rune-made equipment makes base equipment mostly worthless outside of having the correct amount of sockets and maybe min-maxed armor value then I don't know what to tell you. Having that rune-made equipment being the baseline instead, which is what I'm going on about here, sounds like a reasonable ask. Wanting less but more meaningful loot or, at least, a skill tree that meaningfully changes how your skills operate isn't some wild concept.

I'm simply saying if you're going to have a skinner box design philosophy at least make the rewards for these tasks worth it, you know? A lot of people in this thread have complained about a lot of crap affixes and changing that up is a step in the right direction - it's making the loot more interesting. Do you think those people have "you" problems and want the genre to bend and warp around what they want? As for my suggestions? Those are an ideal. The day that happens in an ARPG I'll be there day-one. That video from PTR showing the barbarian casting all those dust devils was legit exciting. Maybe not to the extend of it tanking your framerate but that sort of build potential is what makes this stuff meaningful. Get silly with it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

It doesn't mean I can't criticize them. FPSs for a while after DOOM followed the same formula it did, it was the standard. Then Half-Life came out and then that became the standard. Call of Duty? Everyone's copying that. Then DOOM came out again and showed, oh yeah, that old way of doing things was still valid. Wanting something different from the genre standard isn't some weird, unreasonable position. I played a ton out of Diablo 2 but if you can't see that rune-made equipment makes base equipment mostly worthless outside of having the correct amount of sockets and maybe min-maxed armor value then I don't know what to tell you. Having that rune-made equipment being the baseline instead, which is what I'm going on about here, sounds like a reasonable ask. Wanting less but more meaningful loot or, at least, a skill tree that meaningfully changes how your skills operate isn't some wild concept.

I'm simply saying if you're going to have a skinner box design philosophy at least make the rewards for these tasks worth it, you know? A lot of people in this thread have complained about a lot of crap affixes and changing that up is a step in the right direction - it's making the loot more interesting. Do you think those people have "you" problems and want the genre to bend and warp around what they want? As for my suggestions? Those are an ideal. The day that happens in an ARPG I'll be there day-one. That video from PTR showing the barbarian casting all those dust devils was legit exciting. Maybe not to the extend of it tanking your framerate but that sort of build potential is what makes this stuff meaningful. Get silly with it.

I fell asleep halfway through this

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Some people want to wrap up a game in 20-40 hours. Some people want to play the games for 1000 hours and still not have all the gear they want. There are people in this thread that liked the old uber drop rate where a person cannot obtain one if they played their entire life. It's a difference of opinion and the different groups are never gonna agree.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Play any arpg enough and it becomes a “grind endlessly for an incremental upgrade”.

Hell, this applies to almost every online video game these days.

However, d4 gameplay currently suffers more than most because once you get the right affixes for your build (which could be minutes after walking i to WT3), you have entered that loop. Other arpgs have found ways to delay your entering of the loop… or at least obfuscate the loop from you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jimbot posted:

not reading, presumably annoying self important nonsense. cheers :cheers:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

just clocked the snyder av + gangtag, everything slotting into place now lol

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Stux posted:

not reading, presumably annoying self important nonsense. cheers :cheers:

I read it. You're right.

Diablo owns, grind and blast forever

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

there has never been a good video game

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Lack of end game content is the biggest issue in the aarpg genre. I think the initial gear grind kind of masks it at the beginning but after that wears off most people jump ship because there's nothing left to do.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
It’s why seasons exist. Which actually does a good job of ameliorating the problem.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats because the point of an arpg is to play a character until you feel its done and stop and not play constantly forever. feels like live service games have broken ppl just because they copied a bunch of the language from arpgs wrt ladders/seasons and how gear looks, but those games are actually trying to make you play forever and feel like youre falling behind on the end game etc. arpg is just grinding until you either actually get perfect gear or get bored, then you come back and do it again when ladder gets reset/youre in the mood.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
MMOs would be far better if they had themed seasonal resets that added content as opposed to an endless treadmill of achievement/raid grinds.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MMOs have their own set of problems but at least raids are mechanically interesting depending on the MMO you're playing. Final Fantasy XIV have some spectacular raids that I did a bunch for the sake of doing them. However, that game has issues of currency grinding. But the things you need to do to get that currency are super solid.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ok that explains absolutely everything lol

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Diablo 4 raid boss Elias.. Now you're talking.

Playing a dude and completing it to your satisfaction is a good season of arpg.. Even better is becoming the richest man around and doing a bunch of super strong guys like a d2r season, make it so blizzard

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
hell i think the last stages of min/maxing characters in arpgs is utterly loving inane and have no clue how people get so into it and I still love arpgs because instead I really enjoy about the first 85% of building a character up and then starting over

if you aren't having fun and it doesn't seem worth the time, just play another game?

Jimbot posted:

MMOs have their own set of problems but at least raids are mechanically interesting depending on the MMO you're playing. Final Fantasy XIV have some spectacular raids that I did a bunch for the sake of doing them. However, that game has issues of currency grinding. But the things you need to do to get that currency are super solid.

lmfao amazing

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Jimbot posted:

You would love lost ark

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The only Good Video Game ever made was Ikaruga. change my mind

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
That can't be true because Radiant Silvergun also exists.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
man this weeks gauntlet would be really interesting if there was an easy way to group. it's basically the kazhra dungeon that everyone liked to split farm in preseason or S1 idr. instead it's four wings with lots of walking/downtime in between each

the health of gauntlet so far: someone got into the top 10 list with a score of 0 in duos last week, a level 77 and a level 4 character. i got top 10 this week with my first run. though it'll go down as more people play, i've never scored top 10 on a run to uncover the map no matter how early in the week.

also, no horse cosmetics for getting top 100, just a title? idk where i saw the horse

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ikaruga is better mate

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Ehud posted:

there has never been a good video game

i see your point but i believe that super mario world and diablo 2 are good video games, all other games are bad (even if i enjoy them)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The second mario and the third final fantasy are the only good ones

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I feel like the people who make that series don't understand what the word "final" means.
:goonsay:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

the main issue imo is they lost the journey aspect, poe attempts to try and get up the journey thru the post campaign as well but ultimately as a f2p game it wants you to never stop playing and always chase that high.

D3 for its flaws even after RoS, really provides an incredibly streamlined season journey that keeps hitting beats and doesn't really expect you to continue forever. its itemization and skills preclude heavy building theorizing. But you can jump into a season massacre demons and have a good time without too much thinking, though there is a bit if you don't look poo poo up

Recently with GaaS the rise of blitz thru the campaign without enjoyment to get to the endgame has taken over and it blows, because endgame content is very hard to make consistent and interesting.

D2 didn't really have one and they tried patching stuff in but my enjoyment and why I've been playing it constantly for over 20 years is its entertaining to try and get a weird build of the ground, you can respec once and targeted farming is not really a thing.

I actually think MedianXL is over looked as a case study in arpgs. It has specific end game progression with difficult challenges and challenge areas combined with a variety of target farming and build customization later on.
Early it uses uniques that can be tiered up as you go thru the campaign as steady and consistent power increases. every unique you find is useful because at the very least it becomes 1/5 of a tier up or unique creation. it also sprinkles level locked challenges throughout (that can be bypassed for a cost) to give an optional power boost if you can do it

Either way the endgame is an arpg is whenever you no longer enjoy the grind for increasingly smaller power boosts or the chance of a big power boost is so small it's not worth it. We lost something in arpgs when you hit level cap before the end of the campaign or a campaign so atrocious that adventure mode was necessary

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

wemgo posted:

You would love lost ark

speak about a great journey, Lost Ark owned until i got the loving kmmo wall
holy poo poo they hate their players over there which is a shame as it's very solid to play. I didn't care for some of the group content like the monhun style fights, but the raids are cool and the dirty mode is insanely long, i might go catch up on that at some point, see what is available without hitting the 3 upgrade attempts (at 5%+(1% x failed attempts)) a day wall

edit: steam says i put 240 hours in to basically hit end of the campaign + the t3 wall

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cerepol posted:

the main issue imo is they lost the journey aspect, poe attempts to try and get up the journey thru the post campaign as well but ultimately as a f2p game it wants you to never stop playing and always chase that high.

D3 for its flaws even after RoS, really provides an incredibly streamlined season journey that keeps hitting beats and doesn't really expect you to continue forever. its itemization and skills preclude heavy building theorizing. But you can jump into a season massacre demons and have a good time without too much thinking, though there is a bit if you don't look poo poo up

you all live in opposite world and i do not awnt to play whatever dogshit game you are all imagining. thanks.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I remember being hype about some Korean MMO fifteen years ago or so, joined the goon guild and we had some fun rushing and stealing other forums' guild names and poo poo. Then it became apparent that they just didn't include quests at release for levels like 30-50 and expected everyone to grind bears. Hard pass

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i t is fun seeing completely deranged takes on what different games are tho. v funny to imagine poe as a typical f2p treadmill game when its just a normal arpg except act 1 and 2 involve the developers caving your skull in repeatedly with rhoas etc making it completely hostile to new players, while d3 is a "journey" and not an frictionless treadmill designed exactly like progression in a f2p game but stuck inside a normal game for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stux posted:

you all live in opposite world and i do not awnt to play whatever dogshit game you are all imagining. thanks.

what do you think I'm imagining? Saying i enjoy d3 doesn't mean i need another

What i really want is PoE with buffed drops and an inability to trade basically. SSF is really fun, you don't think about the market value and can just spend your currency as you want. it just sucks how awful the drop rates are for the cool poo poo, poe wants to be a second job if you want to push the content imo
Trading had never really enticed me as i can't get excited about finding something for someone else to buy and use so i can then go but what i want

Don't worry tho, they would never do it because they need it to be an online mp game.