Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

That's also why I used :words: It's how we described Turple Haitch when he would just talk and talk and talk before Batista :krakken: would come out and possibly do something. Raw Live Threads used to be FILLED with different SA smilies for each wrestler. The Era of :words: is here, debase yourself and wallow in LORE. SLOM or no SLOM.

What do my knuckles say?

SLOM LORE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Wrestlemania makes perfect sense when you realise the goal isn't to put on the best show and make fans happy. WWE knows they have their shills that will eat up any slop (look at this thread). No, Wrestlemania is simply there to make as much money as possible. Adverts everywhere, product placements galore, celebs every 15 minutes.

It's pig piss. Drink it up

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dango Bango posted:

What do my knuckles say?

SLOM LORE

Slom Lore for the Slum Lord

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Wrestlemania makes perfect sense when you realise the goal isn't to put on the best show and make fans happy. WWE knows they have their shills that will eat up any slop (look at this thread). No, Wrestlemania is simply there to make as much money as possible. Adverts everywhere, product placements galore, celebs every 15 minutes.

Didn't Roman vs Cody on Sunday night just change their LED boards around the ring to just cycle through adverts? Like a goddamn soccer game only without Emirates flashing every other time.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Alan_Shore posted:

seriously i know americans are incredibly stupid but WWE being popular makes no sense to me at all lol. have they just successfully transplanted their cult workplace culture onto their core audience or something which explains all the fervor? i don't get it

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

is this your first mania because they've all been like this

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Alan_Shore posted:

And then they use all that money to pay off Vince!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

gently caress you for reminding me this song exists.

You got your Mama's smile but you're yesterdays child

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Name a good match from the first ten years of Wrestlemania that didn't include Bret or Savage.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

When I was a kid I thought Jaded by Aerosmith was one of the big, historically important songs.

hmm. wanted it to be?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

anytime i got to see greg valentine sell was a good time

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Joey McChrist posted:

anytime i got to see greg valentine sell was a good time

Greg Valentine looks like Ric Flair's angry lesbian sister.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Name a good match from the first ten years of Wrestlemania that didn't include Bret or Savage.

Mr Perfect v Blue Blazer at WM5

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Critical posted:

Mr Perfect v Blue Blazer at WM5

Really? It's been a while but I remember that being underwhelming considering the participants.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

is this your first mania because they've all been like this

Wrong! When I stopped watching around WM 31 it was one night. There were no ads on the ring, curtains, or even on wrestlers. There certainly wasn't one that had 40 minutes between matches. This is a natural progression of WWE

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Shawn v Razor? Good question though. I’m struggling to think of anything else. Did the rockers have any good matches at mania?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

you might think all the ads and commercials would put off people but you have to remember the most watched television event in america is largely built around watching new ads

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Alan_Shore posted:

There were no ads on the ring, curtains, or even on wrestlers.

How quickly we forget Brock's Jimmy Johns shorts...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

britishbornandbread posted:

Shawn v Razor? Good question though. I’m struggling to think of anything else. Did the rockers have any good matches at mania?

I forgot that one was Wrestlemania X, so yeah, I would amend it to Savage, Bret, and Shawn.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Really? It's been a while but I remember that being underwhelming considering the participants.

it was shortish but no one was flipping out of hiptosses and doing crucifix pins back then so it stuck in my child mind as amazing. probably less so now considering the modern style.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the guy in the prime bottle was named ishowspeed. I thought there was a wrestler I never heard of called Aisho Spíd

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Alan_Shore posted:

Wrong! When I stopped watching around WM 31 it was one night. There were no ads on the ring, curtains, or even on wrestlers. There certainly wasn't one that had 40 minutes between matches. This is a natural progression of WWE

most of the time the celebrities were the advertisements - they were only there to promote whatever they had going on at the time clear back to some of the first wrestlemanias and they didn't give a poo poo about wrestling just like they don't now when they show up on raw or smackdown

there were definitely product placements involved when they could get them in the 90's and early 2000's and absolutely as many celebrity appearances as they could possibly stuff into the shows from the start because vince has always wanted nothing more to make money and have mainstream acceptance but most of the time the celebs were shilling something or had a big movie/show/album out at the time or were celebs nobody but vince has cared about for decades

acting like mania was this sacred ground previously is something - you should probably go back and watch a few before committing to that hill though

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 9, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I miss advertising like the little blimps they used to have, or when they'd do the Lugz Boot of the Week and show someone getting kicked in the face.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Every so often I think of that South Park wrestling episode and just laugh at how much they hit the nail on the head.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
keep getting white woman jump scared with this avatar

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012
it took them 17 years to do a good wrestlemania and more than half are still okay to terrible

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

JUNGLE BOY posted:

by wrestlemania standards it seemed pretty good

IMO there have been VERY few good wrestlemanias and definitely none between 30 and 40

39 was excellent. Some of the best match quality overall I've seen in a WrestleMania. As Meltzer said at the time it's the closest they've been to running a Tokyo Dome style Mania.

As for my opinion on WrestleMania 40 I thought Night One was a real stinker and thought Night 2 was great so that evens out to a good WrestleMania to me.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Orange Carlisle posted:

most of the time the celebrities were the advertisements - they were only there to promote whatever they had going on at the time clear back to some of the first wrestlemanias and they didn't give a poo poo about wrestling just like they don't now when they show up on raw or smackdown

there were definitely product placements involved when they could get them in the 90's and early 2000's and absolutely as many celebrity appearances as they could possibly stuff into the shows from the start because vince has always wanted nothing more to make money and have mainstream acceptance but most of the time the celebs were shilling something or had a big movie/show/album out at the time or were celebs nobody but vince has cared about for decades

acting like mania was this sacred ground previously is something - you should probably go back and watch a few before committing to that hill though

Yeah the actual ads aren’t even the problem with me. I never minded the ad placement on wcw rings or whatever. It’s that every inch of space during mania is taken up by ads. And after the match well here’s 20 minutes of commercials and then more ads. La knight is coming to the ring? Here’s a big ad for slim Jim. Here’s a guy in a prime bottle. Here’s the prime cart at ringside. It’s like gently caress man let’s just chill it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Yeah the actual ads aren’t even the problem with me. I never minded the ad placement on wcw rings or whatever. It’s that every inch of space during mania is taken up by ads. And after the match well here’s 20 minutes of commercials and then more ads. La knight is coming to the ring? Here’s a big ad for slim Jim. Here’s a guy in a prime bottle. Here’s the prime cart at ringside. It’s like gently caress man let’s just chill it.

might as well be an arena full of shareholders - it'll get worse before it gets better those profits have to go up each quarter forever

watching clips with ads flashing across the ring for dude wipes was so funny that I couldn't even be mad at it and the whole visual is going to age so terribly

the dynamic fastener guy needs to start dumping money into wwe and the mma aesthetic will be complete

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The ads were actually toned down this year. At WrestleMania 39 all the guard rail ads were animated. This year they were just static images.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm probably a bit of an outlier on this forum as I love wrestling for the panto bollocks in addition to the athleticism and physicality, but a show is even better if good workers (of which WWE has many!) are allowed to be creative with the actual matches and show off their skills.

Not that much of an outlier in the one TJPW > Stardom forum. It's just that WWE (and indeed many other promotions!) does the panto very very badly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can’t believe the drat entertainment company is trying to make money , they should instead put out a game that nobody buys and tank their attendance with awful booking :cheeky:

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Wrestlemania used to be a tight 3 to 4 hour show and is now about 12 hours spread over two nights and covered from head to toe in ads, and all the matches still seem to way too short. I’m always baffled how anyone can say this is a top mania even grading on a curve.

its weird. people are raving about night 2 and while I thought it was perfectly fine, I dont feel any match really exceeded what I would consider a good tv match. might just be spoiled

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I thought Panto Bollocks got caught in the NXTUK nonce sting

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

its weird. people are raving about night 2 and while I thought it was perfectly fine, I dont feel any match really exceeded what I would consider a good tv match. might just be spoiled

Yeah that’s where I’m at too. None of the matches were bad or anything, but none of them were really good either. Just bog standard wwe matches.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
In fact I liked night one way more. Gunther vs Sami was pretty drat good, and the ladder match was a blast.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can’t believe the drat entertainment company is trying to make money , they should instead put out a game that nobody buys and tank their attendance with awful booking :cheeky:

They're trying, but their fans keep calling it CINEMA.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Kvantum posted:

Now all Nakamura really does is collect a large paycheck and go surfing on his days off. Otherwise, he's past really... well, caring.

Then why does Paul "Triple H" Levesque want him?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I'd say the US Title three way was a bit above that, but that's all.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given that I watch New Japan I don't mind ads on the mat or the ring post but they need to be good ones and not lovely energy drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

perhaps wrestlemania was good and you're all too jaded