Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

eschaton posted:

not everything is on the newest architecture, oh no!

are you seeing something there that makes you think they don’t work at all?

note that the “tested” column means “tested after conversion to the new architecture,” not “tested at all,” because the page you dug up to scare yourself and others is about in-progress work and not a list of what works and what doesn’t in NetBSD 10

I was not sure if NetBSD was a serious suggestion for wireless on a RPi Zero 2 W. Is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

Yeah, I have another ARM board with more memory for my build host.

How is Gentoo for headless, light-duty server service? This board has 512MB, which seems like a lot, but maybe not in 2024.

to be honest, maybe you want buildroot or yocto for something that resource constrained

like, 512MB is plenty for an embedded device but not for any modern distro that insists on running an ssh server, a dhcp client, a network time client, portmapd, system log, and whatever else

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

despite my comment, I am only half serious about yocto and buildroot

in actuality, I would probably install raspbian and disable every process that didn't need to run and also maybe put in a swap file (and set swappiness to 99) so that package updates don't get killed in the middle of any operations

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sb hermit posted:

in actuality, I would probably install raspbian and disable every process that didn't need to run and also maybe put in a swap file (and set swappiness to 99) so that package updates don't get killed in the middle of any operations

what if you put your swapfile on a tmpfs 🤯

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would also seriously consider just making a buildroot image that includes wireguard or some other kind of transport security so that you have to break into the encrypted tunnel in order to utilize an exploit in a service like a web hmi or sshd or whatever. Then I would just not touch the image for 13 years until the 2038 problem requires me to reinstall or junk it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

what if you put your swapfile on a tmpfs 🤯

to be honest, I've heard good things about zswap so it may make sense to have like a 128 MB zswap file on tmpfs as the high priority swap

and then 2GB or whatever on the next priority swap on a usb stick or the SD card

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the raspi 5 has pcie so you can get an nvme shield. even lovely nvme drives are way better than SD or USB

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

but then what will I do with the dozens of 4gb usb sticks scavenged from trade show tables

barely any writes on them, and their use is good for the planet!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
drop them in random corporate parking lots and watch the fun remotely

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i still havent done anything with my pi 4. i also got a 3 thats just sort of sitting around

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

sb hermit posted:

Yeah, I'm trying Raspbian now. Normally I'm wary of depending on OEM builds, as a smaller board maker is prob going to lose interest in updates about 3 months after the boards are out. But RPi Foundation is probably big enough, and their product lineup small enough, that it's not an issue.

And let's not go overboard wrt "resource constraints". I just installed gcc and perl and python3 and a ton of other crap on a MIPS board with 128MB of RAM. It runs fine. SSH will not be the killing blow.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

sb hermit posted:

to be honest, I've heard good things about zswap so it may make sense to have like a 128 MB zswap file on tmpfs as the high priority swap

and then 2GB or whatever on the next priority swap on a usb stick or the SD card

this is galaxy-brained RamDoubler 2 thinking right here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
honestly most openwrt systems would be running all that crap and probably have 512 mb ram or less, i would just cross-compile because i'm impatient

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I remember upgrading my HP 48GX with a 128KB of battery-backed SRAM.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

That too small for Linux, of course. But I would kinda expect any normal kernel to boot up and open a shell with 8 or 16MB.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Poopernickel posted:

this is galaxy-brained RamDoubler 2 thinking right here

:hfive:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kazinsal posted:

drop them in random corporate parking lots and watch the fun remotely

maybe I could just bring them to college job fairs and hand them out as door prizes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sb hermit posted:

Then I would just not touch the image for 13 years until the 2038 problem requires me to reinstall or junk it.

good news, debian is transitioning to 64bit time right now :v:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

That too small for Linux, of course. But I would kinda expect any normal kernel to boot up and open a shell with 8 or 16MB.

with a small enough kernel and a small enough shell, I bet you maybe could boot in less

as an embedded kernel programmer, I am amazed by how modular the linux kernel is

ryanrs posted:

And let's not go overboard wrt "resource constraints". I just installed gcc and perl and python3 and a ton of other crap on a MIPS board with 128MB of RAM. It runs fine. SSH will not be the killing blow.

that’s true… I am always on about “death by a thousand papercuts” so I focus on maximizing memory when I need to have a long running background process like postgresql or something

I think I had a lot of success with a long running amazon VM with about 512 MB of RAM that completely destroyed itself when updating because it didn’t have the memory to install packages and I had to reprovision it from scratch.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Truga posted:

good news, debian is transitioning to 64bit time right now :v:

my filesystems don’t use 64-bit timestamps yet, I think :ohdearsass:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hbag posted:

i still havent done anything with my pi 4. i also got a 3 thats just sort of sitting around

get a breadboard, the right jumpers, and a couple of cheap sensors and you can jump down the rabbit hole of electronics

on the other hand, you can also provision it as a plex server or a vpn endpoint or a pihole.

EDIT: changed microelectronics to just electronics

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 9, 2024

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sb hermit posted:

get a breadboard, the right jumpers, and a couple of cheap sensors and you can jump down the rabbit hole of microelectronics

on the other hand, you can also provision it as a plex server or a vpn endpoint or a pihole.

i have an electronics kit with that poo poo in it im pretty sure. not sure what i could do with microelectronics but i guess i could figure something out. also i already have a plex server and i just use tailscale

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

Yeah, I'm trying Raspbian now. Normally I'm wary of depending on OEM builds, as a smaller board maker is prob going to lose interest in updates about 3 months after the boards are out. But RPi Foundation is probably big enough, and their product lineup small enough, that it's not an issue.

I just want to say one last thing. RPI foundation is very good about supporting all their hardware, especially the older ones, and especially if you stick to the non graphical minimal installs.

But the funny thing is that the various hats and anything that requires a driver that does not come in the stock kernel (i.e. not a simple device that just hits a gpio, or a widely used i2c or 1wire temperature sensor) is only really useful for the kernels they were built against. Because those companies that make those hats go out of business (or lose interest) and the users have to then forward port those drivers (if the source is available) to use newer OSes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i made a battery powered 4G base station out of a raspberry pi 4 and a LimeSDR. played around with it for a bit then got left in a drawer and haven't picked it up since

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hbag posted:

i have an electronics kit with that poo poo in it im pretty sure. not sure what i could do with microelectronics but i guess i could figure something out. also i already have a plex server and i just use tailscale

Sorry, when I said microelectronics, I just mean electronics. I got a bit too excited.

Yeah, just use the electronics kit if you’ve yet to do anything with it yet and it’s fun to watch LEDs light up to show if something is being activated or whatever.

just keep in mind that rpi gpio pins are 3.3v but most devices operate at 5v so you’ll have to use a multimeter to make sure you don’t destroy your rpi if the sensors were made for something like arduino or whatever

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

i made a battery powered 4G base station out of a raspberry pi 4 and a LimeSDR. played around with it for a bit then got left in a drawer and haven't picked it up since

I hear meshtastic is the new hotness. Community based wireless networking. In case the internet goes down!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i didn't realize osmocom was capable of bringing up anything more than a basic 2g network

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

sb hermit posted:

I hear meshtastic is the new hotness. Community based wireless networking. In case the internet goes down!

I tried this and it was not great! Turns out that to get nerd-on-a-mountaintop range, you need to be (1) a nerd, and (2) on a mountain. Otherwise it's a neat neighborhood-wide net, assuming you only need a packet a second or so.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Whereas I've setup my 2M 50W mobile while camping, found an active repeater, and hopped on their weekly check-in / traffic practice just by chance. I've actually used 2M FM to summon the sheriff out in the Sierra backcountry, and it worked.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

I tried this and it was not great! Turns out that to get nerd-on-a-mountaintop range, you need to be (1) a nerd, and (2) on a mountain. Otherwise it's a neat neighborhood-wide net, assuming you only need a packet a second or so.

Makes sense! I’ve yet to give it a try but hobbyist wireless stuff has piqued my interest recently. Too bad I live in a canyon, so I probably won’t be able to reach very far.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I did have some fun with our local 2.4 GHz ham mesh on channel -1; set up a Bullet M2 on a patch antenna on a pole and was able to get 11mbps solid, rain or shine, to the tower up on a mountain 7 miles away.

the key there is that i was able to put up an outside antenna. you aint doin that buried in a big apartment block.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

sb hermit posted:

I think I was able to activate a usb serial device on a raspberry pi zero image so that I could use minicom to get a console login.

You can poke at some config files on the SD card to make a new user and turn on ssh. Plug this PoE USB ethernet adapter and the Pi will grab an address from DHCP on first boot and you can ssh in.

That ethernet dongle is not just a PoE splitter, it is also a USB ethernet adapter. It feeds data and power to the Pi Zero through the single micro USB connector.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

You can poke at some config files on the SD card to make a new user and turn on ssh. Plug this PoE USB ethernet adapter and the Pi will grab an address from DHCP on first boot and you can ssh in.

That ethernet dongle is not just a PoE splitter, it is also a USB ethernet adapter. It feeds data and power to the Pi Zero through the single micro USB connector.

That’s pretty neat! I didn’t know that there were pi zero specific gadgets like this.

For my use case, I wanted a dead simple way to communicate with a raspberry pi zero. I’m good with networking but my laptop doesn’t have ethernet. :smith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
iirc i pulled 5v ttl serial off the yosvape's pi to communicate with the arduino. it was kinda nifty. just right there on a couple of the gpio pins

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lol at this being at the top of the list

https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz/commit/e93e13c8b3bec925c56e0c0b675d8000a0f7f754 posted:

Remove the backdoor found in 5.6.0 and 5.6.1 (CVE-2024-3094).

While the backdoor was inactive (and thus harmless) without inserting
a small trigger code into the build system when the source package was
created, it's good to remove this anyway:

- The executable payloads were embedded as binary blobs in
the test files. This was a blatant violation of the
Debian Free Software Guidelines.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Explicit-GPU-Sync-XWayland-Go

thank god this is finally merged. recent nvidia drivers have made wayland flicker real bad

shackleford posted:

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shackleford posted:

love this stupid poo poo lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

corona familiar posted:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Explicit-GPU-Sync-XWayland-Go

thank god this is finally merged. recent nvidia drivers have made wayland flicker real bad

lol

oh that's probably what i've been seeing that made me start shopping amd cards lol

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Progressive JPEG posted:

oh that's probably what i've been seeing that made me start shopping amd cards lol

try downgrading to the version 535 drivers (i'm on 535.171.04). 550 is what caused a lot of issues for me with xwayland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

iirc i pulled 5v ttl serial off the yosvape's pi to communicate with the arduino. it was kinda nifty. just right there on a couple of the gpio pins

I need to start getting into utilizing ttl serial myself.

Actually, I have a grip of pi picos and I want to do that gnarly pio stuff with a 80s/90s parallel port. Turns out that most of those pins are just ground!

Maybe also do scsi-1 as well, I dunno

this isn’t the right thread for this :smith: